ADVERTISEMENT

Breakout

Assume the following
Whitehead 18 ppg
Delgado 15 ppg
Carrington 13 ppg
DRod 10 ppg
That's only 56 points with these four having tremendous offensive production. (And I don't see all four having this type of big time production.) There needs to get an additional 14 ppg from Anderson and from the bench just to get to 70. This team needs to average at least 70 to be competitive. I just don't see it happening without a big year from a PF like Anderson or Carter.

IW - 16
AD - 14
KC - 12
DR - 10
Total - 52ppg

I would imagine DG and Singh can give us 5 & 7ppg.

That's a total of 65.

Now we'd need about 5ppg between Ish, Nzei, Anderson, Carter and Anthony.

That's reasonable.

Dan
While your question was directed at picking a single player , and I picked Anderson, in reading the various responses I couldn't help but think that maybe the answer is not a single player but the answer is it's really our bench. For us to be successful we not only need someone to give us quality play at a power position but we really need the bench to contribute . Even if we get quality play from one of the power players on our roster and Gordon gives us what we need at guard that's not enough and its why what we get from our bench becomes so important and what we should be looking for in who will exceed our expectations its the bench as a whole .

We need 12 pts and about 7-8 rebounds from the 4/5 position players that are not Delgado. My guess it will be manned by multiple players and I think that is possible. I doubt any one non-Delgado player has that stat line. It will come from two players at least.

Assume the following
Whitehead 18 ppg
Delgado 15 ppg
Carrington 13 ppg
DRod 10 ppg

Those are awfully high numbers for players who averaged 12, 9, 9 and 6 PPG, respectively, last season. Yes, there are more shots available this season with Gibbs, Sina and Mobley having departed, but I think a more realistic expectation would be something like this:

Whitehead 15 PPG
Delgado 11 PPG
Carrington 10 PPG
Rodriguez 8 PPG

That's 44 points between those four players. We'll need another 25-30 from the rest of the squad to have a good season.

If IW can't average at LEAST 15 & 4 in a mediocre conference, he was way overhyped coming out of high school. In all honesty, we probably need him to score closer to 20.

I see it as:

Whitehead - 16ppg
Delgado - 12ppg
Carrington - 11ppg
Rodriguez - 8ppg

Gordon - 6ppg
Singh - 4ppg

That's 57 ppg, need someone else to step up big time.

Maybe he gets 8 ppg but some of that may come from one of the others. Offense isn't his string suit, he's moving up in class, and coming off the bench.

What player in your opinion needs to surpass expectations for the Hall to maximize their potential?

Do you go with a possible star in Delgado or Whitehead.

Or maybe a strong secondary player like Carrington or Desi?

Or do you think the above players are givens and you want someone to strongly contribute who might be an unknown at this time like Singh, Anderson, Ish or maybe Carter?

I would say the four you list better be "givens" or we have bigger trouble,. I think for us to have true success, one or more, of the bigs has to break out. I will pick Anderson, but Singh or Carter could just as easily fit the bill and the need

meant to say Ish, not Singh....but splitting hairs.

Last edited:
I see it as:

Whitehead - 16ppg
Delgado - 12ppg
Carrington - 11ppg
Rodriguez - 8ppg

Gordon - 6ppg
Singh - 4ppg

That's 57 ppg, need someone else to step up big time.

Steve
I see it pretty much as you do with the "core four " averaging about the same 47/48 ppg which means you need the bench to contribute 22 or so points a game to average about 70 ppg and if the bench can do that still is an open question.

It's not any one player who needs to surpass expectations. It's the team spirit, philosophy, culture and mentality that needs to improve. I believe it will. The talent and, I believe, the effort are there.

The returning core-four sophomores will do their jobs well. They are a given. But they're not going to play 40 MPG.

It's all the bigs and the reserves who need to step up. Basically, everybody has to have the mentality that even if they play only five minutes, they are going to play a great five minutes.

For example, Myles Carter may not be ready to be a significant offensive contributor. He can help the team by playing great defense and rebounding. Defense leads to offense.

If you want to be on a winning team that plays in the post-season, you need to know your role in the game plan. You may not be ready to play 30 min. this season. If, however, you give the team 5-10 outstanding minutes now, you will likely play a lot more next season.

Reactions: shupat08
We need someone in the frontcourt to step up and contribute:

1 Anderson
2 Nzei
3 Singh -could be the big surprise of the "unknowns"

I agree with the sentiment about Desi. But ill tell you what, that kid has hustle and drive. Not the kind that is used to describe players that have nothing else. That kid competed hard. But yea, he needs to develop some handles (im not guessing he'll develop a shot)

It's not any one player who needs to surpass expectations. It's the team spirit, philosophy, culture and mentality that needs to improve. I believe it will. The talent and, I believe, the effort are there.

The returning core-four sophomores will do their jobs well. They are a given. But they're not going to play 40 MPG.

It's all the bigs and the reserves who need to step up. Basically, everybody has to have the mentality that even if they play only five minutes, they are going to play a great five minutes.

For example, Myles Carter may not be ready to be a significant offensive contributor. He can help the team by playing great defense and rebounding. Defense leads to offense.

If you want to be on a winning team that plays in the post-season, you need to know your role in the game plan. You may not be ready to play 30 min. this season. If, however, you give the team 5-10 outstanding minutes now, you will likely play a lot more next season.

And that spirit and philosophy needs to be instilled by KEVIN WILLARD. Do we really think he will instill that spirit? I don't.

I don't really understand why so many SHU fans think Whitehead is a given. I thought Whitehead had a very disappointing freshman year. Some people were thinking he was a better freshman than Eddie Griffin which was ridiculous. Again, was it the injury, playing out of position, Gibbs getting the so called spotlight, the constant losing at the end of the season, tuning out Willard? I have no idea but he will determine how this season goes. He really needs to be a 1st team BE player for this team to have a shot of being any good. That's a lot to ask but he needs to be the man.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I voted for Singh but didn't he reclassify. Most people thought he needed a yr of prep school if I remember correctly. Is that true?

Idk about Prep. But he was originally set to graduate in 2016 possibly as a Top150 player. But was able to graduate in 2015 and that's how we got him.

Too many ifs. Who the hell knows but right now 60 ppg might be tough to get. A bad night from Whitehead ? We'll be in the 50's.

Those are awfully high numbers for players who averaged 12, 9, 9 and 6 PPG, respectively, last season. Yes, there are more shots available this season with Gibbs, Sina and Mobley having departed, but I think a more realistic expectation would be something like this:

Whitehead 15 PPG
Delgado 11 PPG
Carrington 10 PPG
Rodriguez 8 PPG

That's 44 points between those four players. We'll need another 25-30 from the rest of the squad to have a good season.

That would be such little improvement from the year before that would lead us to being the last place team in the Big East. Whitehad is going to average 18 PPg. The question is will he do it efficiently or will he be a volume scorer? That's a big difference. If Delgado can shoot free throws better, I think he will average 15 PPg.

If you've had any type of foot, knee and/or leg injury, then you understand the impact. It's especially brutal for basketball, with the constant quick stop-starts and sharp lateral movements. Even if you don't play sports, it can impact simple walking.

So many people here ignore or try to minimize how Whitehead's game might have been affected. If he has fully recovered we will see a true-blue 5-Star in action. The kid has the potential to be an awesome PG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT