ADVERTISEMENT

A personal note to our coach

jcpetri

All American
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Cream Ridge, NJ
Sha, I've been a big fan of yours ever since you pulled that Seton Hall hat out of that brown paper bag, announcing your decision to come to Seton Hall. I've followed your career as a player, assistant coach, head coach of St. Peter's and now head coach of our Alma Mater. Please take these words with the love that they are being sent.

You came to the Hall with high expectations and with all the injuries you had to deal with your first year, you game us a respectable season and we were all proud of you. But I've got to tell you, my friend, this season you are losing a lot of us due to your questionable coaching to date.

Why your stubbornness in starting the same five players each game is beyond reason. Last night, it was proven to you that players that have seen little or almost no playing time, should be spending more time on the floor than on the bench. Did you even notice that the bench players gave you an 11-point lead at halftime only to be wasted away by your "starters".

I respectfully submit to you that changing your lineup and benching a starter or two is now most necessary, especially when they just don't click as a unit on offense or defense. Not only changing you starting lineup but giving more playing time to certain bench players who have been proving themselves worthy of such attention.

We all love you, Coach, but you are painting yourself into a corner by not listening to others, not just fans, and continue to try to do your own thing. I hope this note is taken as it was written, with YOU in mind. We all want you to succeed as much as possible, but you won't if you don't begin to pay attention to, what seems to me, are obvious situations.

Respectfully submitted,

James Charles Petrillo
Class of 1968
Hazard Zet Forward

Lineup moving forward:

Richmond
Brown
Coleman
Davis
Bediako

I would love to see this group get bulk of playing time, that is a good mix of veteran and youth energy and offensive punch.

Dawes, wusu, EHE off bench
Brown is not ready to start. He’s had nice games against Albany and Monmouth. But people are forgetting him struggling with Wagner.

Kid needs minutes to develop not a knee jerk reaction to 8 nice minutes.

Replace Dawes with Coleman and go. Davis at 4 is going to be an issue once BE play starts but Nganga plays d like he’s waiting to get the ball back. There’s no answer at 4.

Sha, I've been a big fan of yours ever since you pulled that Seton Hall hat out of that brown paper bag, announcing your decision to come to Seton Hall. I've followed your career as a player, assistant coach, head coach of St. Peter's and now head coach of our Alma Mater. Please take these words with the love that they are being sent.
You came to the Hall with high expectations and with all the injuries you had to deal with your first year, you game us a respectable season and we were all proud of you. But I've got to tell you, my friend, this season you are losing a lot of us due to your questionable coaching to date. Why your stubbornness in starting the same five players each game is beyond reason. Last night, it was proven to you that players that have seen little or almost no playing time, should be spending more time on the floor than on the bench. Did you even notice that the bench players gave you an 11-point lead at halftime only to be wasted away by your "starters".
I respectfully submit to you that changing your lineup and benching a starter or two is now most necessary, especially when they just don't click as a unit on offense or defense. Not only changing you starting lineup but giving more playing time to certain bench players who have been proving themselves worthy of such attention.
We all love you, Coach, but you are painting yourself into a corner by not listening to others, not just fans, and continue to try to do your own thing. I hope this note is taken as it was written, with YOU in mind. We all want you to succeed as much as possible, but you won't if you don't begin to pay attention to, what seems to me, are obvious situations.

Respectfully submitted,

James Charles Petrillo
Class of 1968
Hazard Zet Forward
Well said .

Reactions: catholicman
Lineup moving forward:

Richmond
Brown
Coleman
Davis
Bediako

I would love to see this group get bulk of playing time, that is a good mix of veteran and youth energy and offensive punch.

Brown is not ready to start. He’s had nice games against Albany and Monmouth. But people are forgetting him struggling with Wagner.

Replace Dawes with Coleman and go. Davis at 4 is going to be an issue once BE play starts but Nganga plays d like he’s waiting to get the ball back. There’s no answer at 4.
There is little difference between Brown playing 4 minutes from the start and playing 4 minutes from the under 16 to the under 12.

What needs to be sent is a message to Dawes that he can’t be so reckless and to Wusu that he is a lesser player than Coleman (if he doesn’t like that, get better).

Coleman and Brown (and Sanders) will make mistakes, but Dawes/Wusu have had 10 games to show something and have shown very little to date.

There is little difference between Brown playing 4 minutes from the start and playing 4 minutes from the under 16 to the under 12.

What needs to be sent is a message to Dawes that he can’t be so reckless and to Wusu that he is a lesser player than Coleman (if he doesn’t like that, get better).

Coleman and Brown (and Sanders) will make mistakes, but Dawes/Wusu have had 10 games to show something and have shown very little to date.
You don’t use the kid as a stunt. It’s insulting. He’s not in the rotation and you’re going to use him as a prop. You want to promote someone in the rotation? Ok msg sent.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
You don’t use the kid as a stunt. It’s insulting. He’s not in the rotation and you’re going to use him as a prop. You want to promote someone in the rotation? Ok msg sent.
It is like in HS when you start the kid who is a 4 year senior and 13th man on the team and immediately sub him out after the first dead ball lol

I like the idea of Malachi and KR togeher. Not saying I start him but I play him and give him time. I dont think I change the lineup, but I am coaching like PJ on Caver.

No, put him in the rotation. It’s not a stunt. Play the kid, Dawes is a complete negative at this point.

His decision making is terrible. He should earn his way back into the starting rotation.

We keep doing this, even a sniff at the NIT is a pipe dream. Season is near lost.

Sha’s issues go way deeper than player rotations. His sideline temper tantrums, berating of players, and belittling his players’ efforts to the media is embarrassing. His ineffective usage of timeouts, inability to successfully game plan, and unsuccessfully being able to adapt to the game as it is happening in front of him are also red flags.

Listen to Bryan DeNovellis’s latest Tri-State College Basketball podcast following the Rutgers game. He called Sha out and I’m proud of him for doing so. He told it like it is. Sha is losing us all and I’m not seeing anyone come to his defense. That is as telling as anything.

Sha is embarrassing the university. It’s only a matter of time before the rest of the college basketball world catches on. I’m afraid we may have made the wrong choice. The administration needs to sit him down before it’s too late. Although I’m not sure that Sha is intelligent enough to change his ways. Once a great Pirate, he has already lost me in just his second year at the helm.

Reactions: shu09
Lineup moving forward:

Richmond
Brown
Coleman
Davis
Bediako

I agree but still need someone to shoot the tree consistently and defend the three as well!!

I think if the 3 you mention start to see more minutes now, there needs to be a lot of patience by the pirate faithful. Brown and Sanders didn't get the consistent minutes except when we were beating Wagner and Albany. Now it's time to play a team like UConn, if they get thrown into the fire there will be mistakes like you said. I just hope they get supported and not ripped.

I think if the 3 you mention start to see more minutes now, there needs to be a lot of patience by the pirate faithful. Brown and Sanders didn't get the consistent minutes except when we were beating Wagner and Albany. Now it's time to play a team like UConn, if they get thrown into the fire there will be mistakes like you said. I just hope they get supported and not ripped.
They will be somewhat disastrous at times 😂, but I have little faith in Dawes and Wusu at this point.

Lineup moving forward:

Richmond
Brown
Coleman
Davis
Bediako

Agreed. Lets see how malachi can run it w kadary at the 2. Coleman has gotta get the start. Wusu has had enough time.

And these kids are hopefully our future. We all know how easily kids move on to other schools these days, and if these 3 continue to get sporadic court time then there’s more then a good chance they are in a different uniform next year. Let’s hope not.

This quote continues to annoy me and I believe reflect much about Sha’s core problems as a Coach:

"When you’ve got a guy who’s a 40 percent career 3-point shooter — and I thought he had some good shots tonight — I’m not gonna tell the guy who’s shooting 40 percent for his career, ‘don’t shoot the basketball,’" Holloway said in response to a question from NJ Advance Media.

Unfortunately , it's Sha's job to Coach --

This quote continues to annoy me and I believe reflect much about Sha’s core problems as a Coach:

"When you’ve got a guy who’s a 40 percent career 3-point shooter — and I thought he had some good shots tonight — I’m not gonna tell the guy who’s shooting 40 percent for his career, ‘don’t shoot the basketball,’" Holloway said in response to a question from NJ Advance Media.

It's not even true. Dawes is at 36.9% for his career through the Monmouth game. He entered this season at 37.5%. Not bad, but certainly not 40%.

He also said he is going to sit down with Dawes and go over tape to focus on flow of the game and doing other things. Dawes was more under control against Monmouth and took less 3s.

Holloway is in a tough spot here. The team desperately needs 3 point shooting and the team's best shooter on paper, is mightily struggling. The ONLY hope for a non-disastous season is for Dawes to get close to his career 3 point fg%. 37.5% is a lot better than "not bad". So, Holloway has to try to reign in the green light without further harming Dawe's confidence.

We need Dawes and Wusu to just improve 15% in their overall offensive performance and we are a different team.

This is.why Sha badly wanted Tubek to get minutes at the 4. Dre will need help. May need EHE to get some minutes at the 4.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT