ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble

Yes, we're a lock. 20 wins, 10-8 in the Big East. RPI in the 40s. 4 RPI top 50 wins. Could be as many as 6 by the time selection Sunday rolls around. And finally a big time road win.
That is what the committee also looks for in the road wins. And the Iowa game is a true road win and they by continuing to win have helped us.

The 8-9 seeds are typically for power conference teams not playing all that well down the stretch. The trick is to avoid this line and they way we have played a BET win would avoid that for sure. We certainly pass the eye test and should be moving squarely up.

They cannot mess this up except for geography of course.

He didn't update his bracket EXCEPT for the 1 bid conference champions.
He was on air today with his last four in, etc behind him as he talked about bubble teams today. Confusing! I take Lunardi with a grain of salt, but he hasnt been kind to us in his braketology lately.

He was on air today with his last four in, etc behind him as he talked about bubble teams today. Confusing! I take Lunardi with a grain of salt, but he hasnt been kind to us in his braketology lately.
Doesn't he have The Hall as a 10 seed in his last bracket (before today's games)? That's well away from the bubble (prob ~6 teams away). Post win at Butler, much safer...

Updated: 6 bids for 17 teams assuming no-bid stealing.

ie.keep an eye on Nevada, Midd Tenn, along with A10 and American Conference tourneys.

Big East: X is out with a loss to Depaul. sqaurely on the bubble by beating Depaul and in with a win vs Butler.
Marq,Shu, and Prov are all in barring a complete screw job by the committee. But a 1st game loss and an assignment to the play-in game is possible.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo

ie.keep an eye on Nevada, Midd Tenn, along with A10 and American Conference tourneys.

Big East: X is out with a loss to Depaul. sqaurely on the bubble by beating Depaul and in with a win vs Butler.
Marq,Shu, and Prov are all in barring a complete screw job by the committee. But a 1st game loss and an assignment to the play-in game is possible.
I feel like the American and A10 could be a bid steaelers. I know Uconn stinks, but I never count them out until they are dead and buried. Houston could be frisky too.

I think if we beat Marquette, they go to Dayton. If we lose, I think we are safe from Dayton but it could be close. I think us and PC are on equal footing with Marquette a little behind.

any shot for UNC - Wilmington to get a bid, should they lose the colonial to Charleston tonight? I don't think so.

Hopefully St. Mary's takes care of BYU tonight in the WCC semis.

I'll say no on Nevada even if they lose the MWC tournament.

Lunardi just updated his bracket and Seton Hall is off the bubble and no longer listed as in the last 4 byes which means barring a miracle Seton Hall is in and safe from any potential game in Dayton even with a loss to Marquette

I will never say the word "lock" regarding the NCAA committee and Seton Hall.

Last year for the first time in so long, I sat down to watch the selection show with a nice cold brew. Somehow, against all odds, the committee managed to leave me pissed off. The amazing thing is we're almost surely going to have an easier 1st round matchup than we did last year.

I don't have a problem with Marquette being left out. RPI is high. You need to be accountable for your non-conference losses just as much as everything else as well.

I don't have a problem with Marquette being left out. RPI is high. You need to be accountable for your non-conference losses just as much as everything else as well.

Nova, Kansas, UNC,Florida, Kentucky,Baylor, FSU, Butler, Duke, and Marquette are only teams in country to have 8+ top 50 wins.

I would be shocked if Marquette is left out.

Nova, Kansas, UNC,Florida, Kentucky,Baylor, FSU, Butler, Duke, and Marquette are only teams in country to have 8+ top 50 wins.

I would be shocked if Marquette is left out.

I'm just saying they might be one of those teams that could go either way. For example, how many of those wins were at home? Cuse has the same potential issue. History repeats itself..until it doesn't (thanks Clark Kellogg on CBS yesterday!)

Reactions: TomD82
I'm just saying they might be one of those teams that could go either way. For example, how many of those wins were at home? Cuse has the same potential issue. History repeats itself..until it doesn't (thanks Clark Kellogg on CBS yesterday!)
I hear you but based on recent past tournaments, they love top 50 wins and Marq has them.

To answer your question: 4 top 50 wins away from home. 3 of them true road games... Teams that do that, just don't miss the tournament. BPI is #29... i would be shocked.

I will never say the word "lock" regarding the NCAA committee and Seton Hall.

Last year for the first time in so long, I sat down to watch the selection show with a nice cold brew. Somehow, against all odds, the committee managed to leave me pissed off. The amazing thing is we're almost surely going to have an easier 1st round matchup than we did last year.
The amazing thing is at the party at Walsh the brackets leaked 45 minutes before they were annouced on CBA. Everyone knew we were playing the Zags out west and there was no jiuce when the announcement was made.

Tuesday's Games
BC vs Wake 2pm
Pitt vs Gtech 7pm.. must win for Gtech
StMarys vs Zags..not a bubble game and no bid-stealing on the line. But major seeding implications.

I feel like the American and A10 could be a bid steaelers. I know Uconn stinks, but I never count them out until they are dead and buried. Houston could be frisky too.

I think if we beat Marquette, they go to Dayton. If we lose, I think we are safe from Dayton but it could be close. I think us and PC are on equal footing with Marquette a little behind.

any shot for UNC - Wilmington to get a bid, should they lose the colonial to Charleston tonight? I don't think so.

Hopefully St. Mary's takes care of BYU tonight in the WCC semis.

I'll say no on Nevada even if they lose the MWC tournament.
in the aac outside of houston can any other team run the table in that tourney? in the a-10 outside of uri can any other team run the table in that tourney? this is of course outside the top 2 teams in each league.

nevada and middle tennessee are in one bid leagues this season

nevada and middle tennessee are in one bid leagues this season

i get your point, but i cringe when i hear a a conference is a so many bid league. Teams get bids not conferences. Their conferences don't deserve at an-large bid. But imo, those teams along with Illinois St. are right at the cut-off for getting selected for the play-in game.

Midd tenn is 2-1 vs top 50 and 4-1 vs top 100. RPI 39. Are they less deserving then Gtech, Kansas St., Illinois,Vandy (who they beat on the road by 23)?.. we'll see.
Nevada is close but you're probably right that they're out. No top 50 wins. 6-3 vs top 100. RPI 34.

updated: 6 bids for 16 teams. Gtech now out after losing to Pitt.

St mary's seeding will be interesting and i hope to avoid them. I'd imagine they'll be seeded somewhere between 6-10.. if they didn't play gonzaga this year (3 of 4 losses) and they finished 28-1 i think they would be looking at a top 4 seed. In 2014, Wichita St. was undefeated without beating any one good and they were a 1 seed.

Wednesday's Games
Miami vs Cuse 12.. major seeding implications for shu. miami slightly above us and Cuse maybe slightly below us. A Cuse loss could help us stay out of the play-in game, if we also lose to marq.
Clemson vs Duke 2.. can the fat lady finally sing for Clemson's bubble chances.
Oregon St. vs Cal 5:30.. Cal probably needs to win 3 games to get in and also to make our win against them be top 50.
Wake vs Vtech 7.. currently Vtech slightly above us and Wake slightly below us. For wake, a win and they're probably in and with a loss they'll be right on the bubble.

Depaul vs X 9:30.. X needs to win to stay alive.
Washington vs USC11:30.. USC would clinch with a win and feel slightly worried if they lose.

Other possible important game.
Gtown vs St. Johns 7...Gtown has an RPI of 96. if they lose and their RPI falls out of the top 100 we would lose 2 top 100 wins and fall to 8-9 vs top 100. Not a great look for seeding purposes.

Yep. The'll probably still make the dance even at 18-13 even though I think most have them out with this loss.

Yep. The'll probably still make the dance even at 18-13 even though I think most have them out with this loss.
make that 18-14, which would be the most losses ever by at at-large team as well as the worst RPI (last year's Cuse entry was the previous worst), although they obviously made up for it by going to the Final 4.

You're right, I looked at the box score before they updated their record.

They had a weird season. Lot of big wins but a lot of bad losses and all the big wins came at home.

I still think (unfortunately) they get in, but will be a long 4 days for Cuse fans. Might have to start in Dayton now.

If some teams like Wake, X, USC,Vandy, URI, houston, KSt.,Iowa, Illinois don't have good showings in their tournaments they could be left out.

At the very least, they shouldn't avoid the play-in game.

make that 18-14, which would be the most losses ever by at at-large team as well as the worst RPI (last year's Cuse entry was the previous worst), although they obviously made up for it by going to the Final 4.

And Vanderbilt with 14 losses also. Is some team really going to get into the tournament with 15 losses?

Jeff Borzello tweets from Jimmy B's postgame presser:

Syracuse can't feel comfortable for Selection Sunday. RPI of 80, 2-11 away from home, five sub-90 losses -- countered by wins over Florida State, Duke and Virginia.

Jim Boeheim said this year's team has better wins and more good wins than last season's team. "Our profile is better this year than it was last year."

I would love to hear his reaction if they don't get in. I'm sure even if they end up in the play-in game there will be some interesting quotes.

We don't deserve a bid, but 6 wins against the top 50 is pretty good, 50/50 shot.

We don't deserve a bid, but 6 wins against the top 50 is pretty good, 50/50 shot.

I think 75/25 you guys are in. Syracuse has been good to the tournament and I think they will get in because of it. If you get in 95% chance you will be in play in game. I believe all 6 wins were in the Carrier Dome. The road/neutral record would be the dagger for just about anybody else.

Reactions: orange830
If Syracuse did not hit a lucky 50 foot bank shot at the buzzer to beat Duke at home, Orange would definitely be out of the tournament.

Syracuse lost to BC. Any team that loses to BC should be automatically disqualified from the tournament. I'm looking at you too Providence.

Updates on HALBALL10's post:

Wednesday's Games
Miami vs Cuse 12.. major seeding implications for shu. miami slightly above us and Cuse maybe slightly below us. A Cuse loss could help us stay out of the play-in game, if we also lose to marq.
Clemson vs Duke 2.. can the fat lady finally sing for Clemson's bubble chances. - Clemson loss
Oregon St. vs Cal 5:30.. Cal probably needs to win 3 games to get in and also to make our win against them be top 50. Cal with a close W
Wake vs Vtech 7.. currently Vtech slightly above us and Wake slightly below us. For wake, a win and they're probably in and with a loss they'll be right on the bubble. WF up 5 with 1st half winding down

Depaul vs X 9:30.. X needs to win to stay alive.
Washington vs USC11:30.. USC would clinch with a win and feel slightly worried if they lose.

Other possible important game.
Gtown vs St. Johns 7...Gtown has an RPI of 96. if they lose and their RPI falls out of the top 100 we would lose 2 top 100 wins and fall to 8-9 vs top 100. Not a great look for seeding purposes. - Gtown up 1 with 1st half winding down

(one of these days I'll learn how to use the Internet)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT