ADVERTISEMENT

Dashawn Davis

Plays defense, which is a major plus.

Hope he doesnt go ODU, as he would just transfer after lighting it up there to a higher level. Hopefully Willard can get this done the first time instead of getting him on the transfer.

Another gut thing but I think he wants to play at the highest level now and in NY market

My thought is he is ours if we want him. But we are likely waiting to see what happens with the higher rates Guards we are courting.

Reactions: LBP43 and thehall07
We just offered this kid on Sept 14 and if he's a BE caliber player why did we wait so long to offer. Could it be because our recruiting of the guards we've been involved with for a long period of time we view as long shots to commit to us and we're back to scrambling for players once again?

Hallgrad80 Get a Trove membership and find out the real information.

According to insiders, the offer date is not accurate.

Finally we are not scrambling for players.

I think Davis can play in the BE. The offer date doesn’t matter but it was definitely sometime after July as he gave multiple July interviews (print and video) and didn’t mention us in his offers.

Just because it was a late offer, I wouldn’t say we are scrambling. Offers are a natural progression.....when 1 takes you off their list, you line up the next player. And you have a priority list where some offers are commitable and some offers are conditional on other players.

I believe SH is waiting to hear from the 3 Top 150 guards we are involved with before pulling the trigger on Davis. Doesn’t mean Davis is a reach at all as I think he could play a very important role for us. And I like the idea of having 3 NYC kids with oncourt and offcourt chemistry together in Nelson, Rhoden and Davis. That formula has worked well for us.

Reactions: deheremike
If we wait on Davis, we won't get him.

The question that is always present in recruiting is do you take a lower ranked player who is ready to commit while you’re still involved with higher ranked players, particularly if they are players you’ve been recruiting since they were underclassmen . The downside to waiting is that the lower ranked player commits elsewhere and the higher ranked players you’ve put a lot of time and effort into wind up elsewhere and then you really have to scramble.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that. As noted in the thread, the staff prioritizes other guard recruits over him, as does St. John's. Perhaps he pops for ODU early or someone else comes calling - always the risk - but I think we wait to see how other recruitments play out for this one.

The real ? is whether DaShawn Davis is a player; if he is, and he likes us, and is willing to commit now, then just pull the trigger.
Pat is right on target about this-we continually hold on a guy, wait for all the "higher rated" players to decide, and by timethey eventually commit, a player like Davis has gone in a different direction.
Another plus to adding DaShawn is the seeming NY Lightning connection with Anthony Nelson and J Rhoden

How many times are we going to be told that our big year in recruiting is next year or the year after that only never to see those high expectations realized. If you have a player who you believe is a big east caliber player then pull the trigger if he's ready to commit. If you have doubts about the player then passing on hm makes sense.

The big prizes at guard are 2020 and 2021 I don't want a player I want the player

Desi, Nzei, Ish and arguably Deeno were never considered "the player" when they committed. I would take them all again in a heartbeat.

And IIRC many on the Trove were even discussing passing on Deeno because we were in IW's final 3 and taking Deeno would prevent us from getting IW... Luckily Deeno committed and the staff took it .

Last edited:
If you have the ships you take the players ready to commit to the hall. You still court your primary targets and if they both commit playing time will always work itself out. No more sinas on the team. Where would we be today if we let ish or deeno walk

We should grab him if we really like him. It would be nice for S.H. to be known as a school that rewards a player (that's on on our wish list (not necessarily the top of our list) that commits - to take him at the moment and not wait for a better offer. Have it in the player's mind, that if he doesn't accept our offer at that moment......... the opportunity to play at the Hall will be gone.

We have 3 weeks to make our decision so I support what the staff is doing.

His next best offer is Old Dominion, no need to rush this. You can wait 2-3 weeks to get a better read on Etienne and Bishop and based on Davis saying he’s going to choose in 1st or 2nd week in October, it sounds like that is exactly what our staff has told him.

I predict we end up with Davis eventually but there is a big enough talent difference here to give yourself 2-3 weeks to see what happens. If you wait longer than that than we will lose him.

Reactions: Section112
I predict we end up with Davis eventually but there is a big enough talent difference here to give yourself 2-3 weeks to see what happens. If you wait longer than that than we will lose him.

That’s what I mean, he has no intention of committing sooner than that. And Etienne is the only one I’d take over him.

We met with etienne the other day, right? Wonder what we thought of the visit.

That’s what I mean, he has no intention of committing sooner than that. And Etienne is the only one I’d take over him.
But would you not take Davis in 3 weeks because you’re going to wait for Etienne?
I like Etienne better but I don’t think we are getting him so let’s get Davis.

Reactions: shupat08
But would you not take Davis in 3 weeks because you’re going to wait for Etienne?
I like Etienne better but I don’t think we are getting him so let’s get Davis.

In 3 weeks, if Davis wanted to commit and Etienne has not committed, I'd take Davis.

Could still get Etienne then but that would take some real recruiting as I see it like this:

Etienne is a PG.
Davis is a PG/SG.
Dawes is a 2G/PG.
Bishop is a 2G.

It’s not within our control as to when a player commits that’s strictly in the hands of the player and unless someone has inside information I just wonder how anyone could place a time frame on when a player is going to commit .

It’s not within our control as to when a player commits that’s strictly in the hands of the player and unless someone has inside information I just wonder how anyone could place a time frame on when a player is going to commit .

Davis has mentioned in interviews that he wants to commit in early October.

Reactions: shupat08
In 3 weeks, if Davis wanted to commit and Etienne has not committed, I'd take Davis.

Could still get Etienne then but that would take some real recruiting as I see it like this:

Etienne is a PG.
Davis is a PG/SG.
Dawes is a 2G/PG.
Bishop is a 2G.

Didn't Bishop commit?

I think he is ours

Our alum, @ramstv2, of @OSLBasketball, has set his commitment date to September 30th. His three choices are: @StJohnsBBall, @SetonHallMBB & @ODUMBB.

Twitter

Reactions: mbraue
I think he is ours

Our alum, @ramstv2, of @OSLBasketball, has set his commitment date to September 30th. His three choices are: @StJohnsBBall, @SetonHallMBB & @ODUMBB.

Twitter
Lightening in a bottle again! Angel, Desi, Carrington, Rhoden, Nelson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT