ADVERTISEMENT

Dashawn Davis

To me he’s a tweener offensively so don’t expect him to ever supply a lot of that. He doesn’t shoot well enough or have the size to be a starting 2G and not skilled enough to start at PG.

His value is his motor and defensive ability and his upside is as a glue guy in the Derrick Gordon/Ish Sanogo mold. We could definitely use another one of those.

He wouldn’t be applauded as a great pickup but he can carve out a role on this team.

And UConn landed four star , top 80 SG James Bouknight today, Hurley’s first 2019 commit.

There is general agreement in everything I’ve read about Dashawn that he has a strong work ethic , wants to get better and that he has a significant upside and I wouldn’t put him into any box as to what type of player he’s going to be down the road for the Pirates.

What Seton Hall recruiting needs is to bring in a high profile class like we did with the 2014 class and start winning some of the battles for the top 100 players we’re involved with . I remember vividly the enthusiasm surrounding that class and how it energized the fan base and all the positive media coverage we received. We’re now five years removed from that class and despite a lot of optimism we have not been able to duplicate that class despite our winning, tournament appearances and a BET title.

Reactions: SHUMA04
im talking non transfers. its my impression that we currently have zero locked in or close to being locked in?
To not count or consider transfers when discussing bringing in talent is silly.

St. John's top 7 players are made up of 5 transfers,1 juco, and ponds.
Kansas gets 3 extremely key transfers.. the list continues.

Am I supposed to believe if Ike was a 2019 freshman rather than a transfer that somehow our team next year would be better?

Bring in talent period.
For 19-20.. we're scheduled right now to have an upperclassmen top 100 player for each of the positions 2-5. And you want me to think the sky is falling?

To not count or consider transfers when discussing bringing in talent is silly.

St. John's top 7 players are made up of 5 transfers,1 juco, and ponds.
Kansas gets 3 extremely key transfers.. the list continues.

Am I supposed to believe if Ike was a 2019 freshman rather than a transfer that somehow our team next year would be better?

Bring in talent period.
For 19-20.. we're scheduled right now to have an upperclassmen top 100 player for each of the positions 2-5. And you want me to think the sky is falling?
Not only this, but there is a very real difference when you look very closely within the transfer market. To paint all "transfers" equally is not valid.

We always make excuses for freshman to adjust to the college game. I argue that someone like Ike, who proved himself through those growing pains, gets ONE EXTRA YEAR of practice with the team as if he's a freshman this year, and then has 3 years of eligibility is more valuable than having a top 150 freshman big this year. Not that the freshman big couldn't work out extremely well, but that some of the uncertainty is gone in Ike's situation.

Big difference between 3 years of eligibility and 1-2 years. But in some situations, that 1-yr grad transfer ala Derrick Gordon is valuable for other reasons.

Ike is an outstanding get.

No school can afford to ignore the transfer pool of talent in their recruiting as it’s just too large and there is a significant amount of talent in that pool when you consider that in the last three years over 800 D-1 players transferred each year. The advantages of utilizing the transfer pool of talent far outweighs its negatives and it’s here to stay and it makes sense if you use it wisely.

Spoke to a current D1 coach who is not high on Davis. Conversely, Tom Konchalski is very high on him and rates him a quality Big East player.

im not saying transfers are bad. theyre good. but im curious as to FOUR year players. they matter too. how are we doing with them?

What people seem to overlook is that there is little difference between bringing in a HS player who sees very little time his freshman year ( and Ish is an example to use ) and bringing in a transfer who has three years of eligibility left .

What Seton Hall recruiting needs is to bring in a high profile class like we did with the 2014 class and start winning some of the battles for the top 100 players we’re involved with . I remember vividly the enthusiasm surrounding that class and how it energized the fan base and all the positive media coverage we received. We’re now five years removed from that class and despite a lot of optimism we have not been able to duplicate that class despite our winning, tournament appearances and a BET title.
The huge question is why not?

The huge question is why not?

If you ever find the answer to that question I’d like to hear it . Just out of pure curiosity I kept a list of the number of top 150 players we offered in the 2018 class because the core four was graduating and Nzei might have opted out which would give us the opportunity to offer immediate playing time. Plus there were various posts on this Board on how well we were doing with our recruiting. In all we offered 11 players in the top 100 and 3 in the 101 To 150 ranking for a total of 14 players and I might add that 6 of them were top 50 players. Do you know how many we landed ? None.

Last edited:
If you ever find the answer to that question I’d like to hear it . Just out of pure curiosity I kept a list of the number of top 150 players we offered in the 2018 class because the core four was graduating and Nzei might have opted out which would give us the opportunity to offer immediate playing time. Plus there were various posts on this Board on how well we were doing with our recruiting. In all we offered 11 players in the top 100 and 3 in the 101 To 150 ranking for a total of 14 players and I might add that 6 of them were top 50 players. Do you know how many we landed ? None.
kind of crazy because of any year to have success in recruiting... it was that one

kind of crazy because of any year to have success in recruiting... it was that one

The two classes that I thought would see SH sign high quality , highly regarded players were the 2015 and 2018 classes . We’ve talked about the 2018 class and why we anticipated bringing in a very good class. As to the 2015 class I thought we would get a boost from the quality of the players we signed in the 2014 class and add more pieces to the roster. The truth is , other then Derrick Gordon , none of the other five players in that six player class did anything . That class was a three freshman class in Soffer, Singh and Carter and three transfers in Gordon, Javon Thomas and Braeden Anderson .

The two classes that I thought would see SH sign high quality , highly regarded players were the 2015 and 2018 classes . We’ve talked about the 2018 class and why we anticipated bringing in a very good class. As to the 2015 class I thought we would get a boost from the quality of the players we signed in the 2014 class and add more pieces to the roster. The truth is , other then Derrick Gordon , none of the other five players in that six player class did anything . That class was a three freshman class in Soffer, Singh and Carter and three transfers in Gordon, Javon Thomas and Braeden Anderson .
literally everyone in that class only played one year

Reactions: deheremike

We also landed Thompson, a top 100 player with a year of experience under Jim Boeheim and a year sitting and practicing against the most prolific rebounder in Big-East history. We landed a guy who scored 18ppg at the D1 level. We also landed 2 top 200 high school kids.

In my opinion I think you're highlighting the negatives of our recuiting without mentioning the positives - which is understandable given the kids Nova or Providence are bringing in. We can always improve

If our '14 class was a 9.5/10, I give our '18 class a 7/10

We also landed Thompson, a top 100 player with a year of experience under Jim Boeheim and a year sitting and practicing against the most prolific rebounder in Big-East history. We landed a guy who scored 18ppg at the D1 level. We also landed 2 top 200 high school kids.

In my opinion I think you're highlighting the negatives of our recuiting without mentioning the positives - which is understandable given the kids Nova or Providence are bringing in. We can always improve

prob 5 or 6/10 including thompson, who we only get for 3 years and is technically another recruit we swung and missed on lol (jk jk). the biggest need for a few years now has been PG and we havent been able to address that.

Reactions: deheremike

The point is when there are circumstances when you have the opportunity to land the really talented players because you’re graduating four starters thus giving you the ability to offer players the chance to play right away you have to capitalize on that situation. How often on this Board were we told that the reason we were not getting our priority recruits was because the core four was there and our targets were going elsewhere because they had a chance to start which was not there at SH. So when that obstacle was removed it gave the staff a great selling point to recruits, i.e. the core four was gone and in situations like that you have to land some of those priority recruits. I also believe that the staff went after so many players in the top 100 and in the top 150 was because they had the ability to offer minutes as the core four would no longer be there eating so many minutes.

Reactions: shuvrp
The point is when there are circumstances when you have the opportunity to land the really talented players because you’re graduating four starters thus giving you the ability to offer players the chance to play right away you have to capitalize on that situation. How often on this Board were we told that the reason we were not getting our priority recruits was because the core four was there and our targets were going elsewhere because they had a chance to start which was not there at SH. So when that obstacle was removed it gave the staff a great selling point to recruits, i.e. the core four was gone and in situations like that you have to land some of those priority recruits. I also believe that the staff went after so many players in the top 100 and in the top 150 was because they had the ability to offer minutes as the core four would no longer be there eating so many minutes.
You’re right that you can’t have it both ways, but it’s not inaccurate to point out we couldn’t offer playing time the past 3 years. It’s not easy to recruit like that.

But I agree with the sentiment when you consider all the factors (available playing time, recent program success, amount of elite local talent, position of need, etc.) the 2018 recruiting class was not a success.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUMA04
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT