ADVERTISEMENT

Fall and Diop on official now at SHU

All the experts seem to think Arkansas is a done deal, and maybe it is, but until the kid announces we have a chance.

I remember Kyle Anderson went on record saying seton hall was a “done deal”. He decided…..but then in the last minute things changed.

All the experts seem to think Arkansas is a done deal, and maybe it is, but until the kid announces we have a chance.

I remember Kyle Anderson went on record saying seton hall was a “done deal”. He decided…..but then in the last minute things changed.
Agreed. However in the case of Kyle Anderson he switched to the program who could afford to out bid the competition. Realistically we're behind Arkansas from that perspective. But crazier things have happened. Here's to hoping it happens with these young men.

Good point. Not a fair comparison.

unrelated question…don’t both these kids play the same position? Curious why their being sold as a package deal.

I can’t speak to how it is now but when I was there (late 90s) it certainly seemed football was the top buzz

It still is. Not even close really. Hoops only gets a buzz in March if they make a run. Hog football is definitely king.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
There a saying in the recruiting wars that . . . You can’t hit a home run if you don’t get up at to bat “ and that’s what we’re seeing with these two visitors . Even if “ we strike out “ and they commit elsewhere no one can legitimately suggest that we didn’t give it our all , that’s not the way Sha runs his program.

It still is. Not even close really. Hoops only gets a buzz in March if they make a run. Hog football is definitely king.
It gets wild for baseball games down there. Honestly from the perspective of the atmosphere down there at sporting events, it's an impressive school. It's good that we're in the mix with schools like this.

Reactions: SOBO1
Good point. Not a fair comparison.

unrelated question…don’t both these kids play the same position? Curious why their being sold as a package deal.
I thought the same thing. In this day in age it’s hard to play two true bigs at same time.

With that said, I think Fall is nimble enough to play the PF spot (with some hard work and dedication) with Diop at center.

That switch to PF could also increase his nba draft stock for the following year for Fall, Arkansas has lots of good 4 star players on the roster already, maybe Fall could start at center there right away but Diop would probably come off the bench.

Could be the selling piece Sha needs.

Agreed. We think nyc is the epicenter of the country but its really not
Tourists disagree:

Reactions: Abbo71 and mbraue
There a saying in the recruiting wars that . . . You can’t hit a home run if you don’t get up at to bat “ and that’s what we’re seeing with these two visitors . Even if “ we strike out “ and they commit elsewhere no one can legitimately suggest that we didn’t give it our all , that’s not the way Sha runs his program.
Not to mention there is always the chance of transferring after a year. These two kids could absolutely fit that criteria and it wouldn’t be terrible if they got their feet wet in Arkansas and the SEC and then came SHU bound.

Arkansas has a Top 25 Freshman forward, Jordan Walsh (no relation), coming in this year. Does this result in limiting playing time for Diop with the Razorbacks?

No Crystal Ball predictions for either Fall or Diop, let's hope that Sha moves the needle.

Last edited:

Another way of looking at it. What would you rather be upset at? Us striking out on prospects we aim for, or us not even trying to bring any major recruits at all?

It gets wild for baseball games down there. Honestly from the perspective of the atmosphere down there at sporting events, it's an impressive school. It's good that we're in the mix with schools like this.
Yea and see I know people from down there who say the opposite of what others posted here Re: football v basketball.

Tourists disagree:

Oh I think NYC itself can still be a draw for people. Nothing like it. I just don’t think it helps us because for most people, especially those outside the area, South Orange may as well be on the moon compared to NYC.

Not to mention there is always the chance of transferring after a year. These two kids could absolutely fit that criteria and it wouldn’t be terrible if they got their feet wet in Arkansas and the SEC and then came SHU bound.
For Diop to transfer after his frosh year, absolutely a possibility. However, I am fairly confident Fall is one and done with being ranked as high at 10 in some HS rankings, so for him its very improbable.

Other than cash. How can a kid change their mind the very last second

Reactions: shupat08
Arkansas has a Top 25 Freshman forward, Jordan Walsh (no relation), coming in this year. Does this result in limiting playing time for Diop with the Razorbacks?

No Crystal Ball predictions for either Fall or Diop, let's hope that Sha moves the needle.
These guys have nobody on our roster to compete with

Reactions: walshtrips
For Diop to transfer after his frosh year, absolutely a possibility. However, I am fairly confident Fall is one and done with being ranked as high at 10 in some HS rankings, so for him its very improbable.
I see Baye Fall on 2024 mock drafts but if you look at actual drafts how many bigs with limited offense outside of dunking actually get drafted? Sometimes playing a year of college exposes a player and it damages their draft stock. For example, Treyvon Duval was a projected one and done lottery pick when he was in high school but after a year in college people realized he couldn't shoot and went undrafted. Personally, I see Baye Fall having a very similar college career and draft stock to that of Cliff Omoruyi from Rutger.

When players like Kofi Cockburn go undrafted it makes you think traditional centers have no value in the NBA.

I see Baye Fall on 2024 mock drafts but if you look at actual drafts how many bigs with limited offense outside of dunking actually get drafted? Sometimes playing a year of college exposes a player and it damages their draft stock. For example, Treyvon Duval was a projected one and done lottery pick when he was in high school but after a year in college people realized he couldn't shoot and went undrafted. Personally, I see Baye Fall having a very similar college career and draft stock to that of Cliff Omoruyi from Rutger.

When players like Kofi Cockburn go undrafted it makes you think traditional centers have no value in the NBA.
Cockburn stayed in school too long. Then again, I thought Azubuike from Kentucky did the same and he became a late 1st rounder

Reactions: HALL85
Oh I think NYC itself can still be a draw for people. Nothing like it. I just don’t think it helps us because for most people, especially those outside the area, South Orange may as well be on the moon compared to NYC.
The trip to NYC couldn't be more convenient with train station in SO, 35 minute commute by rail.

Some say that Diop and Fall know folks in the NYC area, if so that would be a draw.

Would be interested in hearing what events and surprises that the staff pulls together for these guys. We have all heard the stories on how Hurley put together weekends for Sanogo to get him to commit and then recently with this years group.

I know that, of course, as someone who grew up here. But it doesn't fully translate or translate at all.
Especially since it's much more difficult to get them into clubs and the like. At that age why would you want to go to the city?
I remember when we still had the cottage, we would be asked to let recruits in.

Especially since it's much more difficult to get them into clubs and the like. At that age why would you want to go to the city?
I remember when we still had the cottage, we would be asked to let recruits in.
Right. If a kid has a family connection in the area, sure I think that helps, and the odds of that being the case are probably greater for the NYC area than many others because of population size and diversity. Purely from a basketball perspective, the allure for someone outside the area would be to play a decent number of games annually at MSG (which we don't), simply because everyone who has ever played basketball wants to play at MSG and every college kid or professional hoops player that does gets to talk about it. And significant media exposure, which we ain't getting from the NYC market anyway.

There are plenty of other strong "sells" on Seton Hall that I think are far more effective, starting with our head coach and our conference overall.

Great, just signed a 2 year $18M contract this summer. That will put him at 10 years total.
He's carved out a nice career in the league. He can be a good rotation player on pretty much any team, including title contenders, because of his versatility.

That’s a lot of faith in recruiting experts without playing any college ball or competing in NBA camps. The list would be just too many pages long on how many 5 star kids don’t get drafted in the following year’s draft.

I really think the mock drafts are just total shots in the dark until high school kids compete in draft camps.

Reactions: walshtrips

Agreed. Lots of top 25 guys dont pan out

Fayetteville is not like the rest of Arkansas, it is a very, very nice town

There are good and bad parts of every state.
Not far from SHU’s campus are very downtrodden areas to put it nicely.

hope they choose SHU but Arkansas has a much better campus and more NIL $

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT