ADVERTISEMENT

Fall and Diop on official now at SHU

I really hope top recruits don’t read this board. If I was a top recruit and could go anywhere I wanted, if I had Seton Hall on my list and it was my top choice and I read this board I would wind up going somewhere else. Some of you are absolutely insufferable! Everywhere else is better than Seton Hall for a lot of you. Are you sure you are truly fans? Why did you enroll and how is it that you actually stuck around and didn’t transfer?

I really hope top recruits don’t read this board. If I was a top recruit and could go anywhere I wanted, if I had Seton Hall on my list and it was my top choice and I read this board I would wind up going somewhere else. Some of you are absolutely insufferable! Everywhere else is better than Seton Hall for a lot of you. Are you sure you are truly fans? Why did you enroll and how is it that you actually stuck around and didn’t transfer?

I wonder about this all the time. It's 1 thing to spin pollyanna, and it's 1 thing to be realistic in our chances but there is the occasional negative Nancy/Nick where I just sit in wonder

With every professional or college sports team you are always going to have that fan who thrives on being negative and with the proliferation of these fan boards you’ve giving them a platform to express their views and they’re not going to go away. What their impact is on recruiting, fan attendance at games, financial support for athletics is open to debate but the overwhelming number of posts are very supportive of Sha, the players and the program and any recruit who reads this board can see that.

I would like to think this board oozes that:
  • We have super engaged and knowledgeable fans (not sure many D1 school alum follow recruiting so closely? I know I'm the only one of my adult friends that does)
  • We care about the success of the program (I've always been impressed by the number of posters and engaged alum on this board - even during the offseason)
When you bleed blue and care so much emotionally, it is easy to get frustrated and critical, but again- I think that is the beauty of message boards. If everyone was rah-rah all the time, this would get pretty boring.

We all would be so honored for Fall or Diop to select Seton Hall as their home. We would be so proud of them and their biggest supporters! One of our posters might even do another blue gatorade dump (circa when Whitehead committed I think)?

Even though we bitch a lot, we are all #HallIn

Reactions: BabyBlue
If they are trying to schedule an Auburn visit it doesn’t sound like Arkansas is a done deal. Worries me if more SEC schools are on the list because they reportedly have the most NIL money.

At the end of the day I just hope these kids are happy with their decision. We will be fine with or without Faye Ball.

I continue to be amused (not really) that we feature the gray jerseys with recruits, they receive accolades from fan sites not even associated with SHU, and we still don't have them to purchase. I know Bryan Felt said that they would be available this Fall, but can we get out of our own way at some point? The season is here. They are a year old now, and yet...nothing...c'mon...

I'd assume they made a decent amount on the signed Holloway posters. Perhaps that'd indicate an opportunity to capitalize on that with some low level effort "Welcome Home" merch and/or retro gear from that era? We're never going to back up the Brinks trucks on merch sales, but we can at least try to make SHU gear a bit more popular.

The grey jerseys are fantastic but in terms of retail I’m not a fan of non-personalized jerseys.

If you could get a Whitehead, Barrett, Delgado, etc. i would be all over that.

Reactions: buckfoston824
The grey jerseys are fantastic but in terms of retail I’m not a fan of non-personalized jerseys.

If you could get a Whitehead, Barrett, Delgado, etc. i would be all over that.

I agree to a certain extent although as an almost 40 year old putting an 18 year old's name on my back is a somewhat silly concept. However, this is where NIL is a giant failing. Players should be able to get a cut of exactly that - sales of their jerseys.

I continue to be amused (not really) that we feature the gray jerseys with recruits, they receive accolades from fan sites not even associated with SHU, and we still don't have them to purchase. I know Bryan Felt said that they would be available this Fall, but can we get out of our own way at some point? The season is here. They are a year old now, and yet...nothing...c'mon...

I'd assume they made a decent amount on the signed Holloway posters. Perhaps that'd indicate an opportunity to capitalize on that with some low level effort "Welcome Home" merch and/or retro gear from that era? We're never going to back up the Brinks trucks on merch sales, but we can at least try to make SHU gear a bit more popular.
The grey jersey will be avail when they release the photos and plans for the practice facility - have patience!

Having left South Orange without committing, I'm guessing Fall and Diop are a real longshot.

I saw that Fall's NIL value is estimated to be around $322,000, yikes!!! It will be a miracle if Sha can reel in these guys!

Random. Didn't realize Midnight Madness was this past weekend for schools (nope. Not diving into that when it comes to us). Noticed Arkansas didn't have anything either

A BC recruit years ago. Paul grant, good player from Michigan, was at a home visit at one of the mich schools and rooting like mad for them in a fb game. Greg Shemitz asked him about it after he committed to pc. He said he grew up a mich fan. But he wanted to play ball at bc. Of course kids visiting a fb school will watch a fb game. But that means little. It was the itinerary designed for them. Not saying they don't go there...but if they were not at the fb game the coach should be fired

Having left South Orange without committing, I'm guessing Fall and Diop are a real longshot.

I saw that Fall's NIL value is estimated to be around $322,000, yikes!!! It will be a miracle if Sha can reel in these guys!
The only way they would commit on the spot is if Sha was able to tell them enjoy your trip down to Arkansas, but I got players X and Y of similar caliber to you guys coming in soon who might commit. We don't have other options. They could wait til Mid May and commit and with no options equally as good, Seton Hall would find a spot for them. It's an issue of supply and demand. Right now we can't negotiate with these player from a position of strength. Hopefully as time goes on Sha builds it up to the level Amaker had it, but any objective person knows we're not in that position right now.

Sha’s current recruiting strategy is high risk , high reward and made more difficult by our inability to compete with what we can offer under NIL verses the Arkansas‘s of the Power 5 conferences . It’s too early to say our strategy is flawed or right on the money and we’ll have to wait to see what players make up the 2023 class.

Random. Didn't realize Midnight Madness was this past weekend for schools (nope. Not diving into that when it comes to us). Noticed Arkansas didn't have anything either
Yup. Watched our Hoops Mania online last night. Highlight was Meek Mill rapping in the Finn lol

Sha’s current recruiting strategy is high risk , high reward and made more difficult by our inability to compete with what we can offer under NIL verses the Arkansas‘s of the Power 5 conferences . It’s too early to say our strategy is flawed or right on the money and we’ll have to wait to see what players make up the 2023 class.
Having the transfer portal as backup takes away a lot of the risk. Additionally, Sha has proven that he can coach up talent. I like the current strategy which will be rewarded when we get our NIL act together.

With no sit out year for transfers let them play their freshman year, collect money from the big school and leave, which is highly likely, when they aren't happy with playing time/program and come to us as Sophomores. In that sense going for the 4-5 stars in recruiting makes sense. Build the relationship and let them know the door is open if they aren't happy.

The competition for transfers will be as intense as the competition for the HS / Prep player and what is being offered under NIL for the transfer will be a major factor just as it is in all the pools of talent every program uses to build its roster ..

The competition for transfers will be as intense as the competition for the HS / Prep player and what is being offered under NIL for the transfer will be a major factor just as it is in all the pools of talent every program uses to build its roster ..
For the few most sought after transfers, yes, but I don't think this will be true for the majority. Most college basketball players get humbled freshman year and if they transfer it's because the school they originally chose doesn't have something the want. It'll be money for some, but for most it'll be other things - playing time, role, system, competition level, location, etc. Some that followed the money for freshman year will certainly regret it and reprioritize. The point is, I think you'll see a lot fewer transfers asking about money first than you do incoming freshmen.

With no sit out year for transfers let them play their freshman year, collect money from the big school and leave, which is highly likely, when they aren't happy with playing time/program and come to us as Sophomores. In that sense going for the 4-5 stars in recruiting makes sense. Build the relationship and let them know the door is open if they aren't happy.
Exactly! We’ll get them the second time around. Just look at our roster now.
When it comes down to it, guys are going to want to play. Can’t see real players wanting to ride the pine for 2 years and collect a paycheck. And if it’s all about just getting some money and not working hard to becoming a player, we don’t want them here anyway.

Val’s got to make getting our next tv contract priority 1 followed closely by dealing with all the issues we’re facing involving NIL.
Agree regarding the media deals (and MSG). Beyond that while acknowledging the many issues facing the BE, Val has to maintain our seat at the Big Boys table regarding the future of college hoops. Maintain the P6 for basketball.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I agree and maintaining our status as a big time basketball conference will be a major factor in the negotiations for our new tv contract.

Val’s got to make getting our next tv contract priority 1 followed closely by dealing with all the issues we’re facing involving NIL.
Just curious because from my understanding the unviersities themselves cannot be involved in NIL, can a conference commissioner get involved in it?

Just curious because from my understanding the unviersities themselves cannot be involved in NIL, can a conference commissioner get involved in it?
Good question Hoopsfan and I don’t know the answer but if I were to guess I would say that any deal the Commissioner might cut would have to meet the NCAA’s requirements so that the Conference’s members could receive their proportion and be able to pass it on to the players.

Seems to me SHU and RU actually need to work together on this one. Not sure if it’s allowed but I spent the last 7 months thinking about it

- Cancel the in Season game. Does us no good to play them anyways
-host an unaffiliated summer/preseason high stakes game. Refs, but no coaches
-sell 5,000 tickets at $200 each for $1M
-$50k for facility rental/refs, $100k to charity
-winning team takes $525k. After taxes- Turns into a $20k base salary for each scholarship player
-losing team takes $325k. After taxes- turns into a 12k base per player

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Seems to me SHU and RU actually need to work together on this one. Not sure if it’s allowed but I spent the last 7 months thinking about it

-winning team takes $525k. After taxes- Turns into a $20k base salary for each scholarship player
Very creative idea. However, this type of thing --and many others like it-- are an utter perversion of the core idea of NIL.

I'm not sure what media contracts have to do with NIL. Sure it should mean more revenue for the member schools that could be allocated to facility enhancements and other academic areas, but not as a source of remuneration to be passed on to student athletes.

I like this idea. I'd add:

- former players be brought in to coach the teams
- add a pregame 50/50 raffle at $100/ticket
- the game would satisfy the desire for bragging rights
- make the split a little more even, like 55%-45%

I bet you could sell the lower bowl at the Rock with much higher proceeds. I volunteer for the committee. :)

Reactions: Gohall129
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT