ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

We were short handed, but all credit to Seton. You guys just bullied us. Looking forward to the rematch at our place.
Ha I bet you are. We aren’t. Except we have this magic “juju” we hold over your coach because of the experience he had here as a player. That’s the only thing I can chalk it up to.

Reactions: CL82
I thought he traveled, was fouled, and the ball was last touched by Providence, so in my view 0-3 on the refs on that play…
I had the same reaction. Exact. I thought he traveled live. He definitely traveled when I saw the reply. He was fouled after the non-called travel. And unless they saw a definitive angle I didn’t, I thought Floyd hit it last.

KR took Big East 'best" defender to Skule tonite
I wouldn’t go that far. 6/16 from the floor with 4 turnovers. KR is matchup problem for any guard in the league because of his ability to get in the lane.

None of the bench scored. We made a bunch of bad plays. We shot like shit. We played in a tough arena enen when the floor is dry. They went ahead on some tough threes and tge gym went crazy

We won. We played far from the best we can play. And we gutted it out. Thank you dylan.

Hope hopkins is ok.

Even snaketom didnt have us winning our two BE wins. Win the ones we should and who knows.
I was going to mention that we had ZERO beach points. Not going to win a lot of games with that type of bench production.

The visceral shown towards Dawes is getting out of hand. He’s definitely a frustrating player at times, but he contributes much more than he gets credit for here.

Some of you like to scream his failures while whispering his accomplishments.

Yes Hopkins. I thought we were under 10 when he went down. He wasn’t hurting us at all. We had him under wraps the whole time he was in. Oduro is who killed is.
A win is a win. So I don’t care if their best kid got hurt (I don’t want any kid to get injured, but no one will cry for us if we lose a good player). But Hopkins is one of the best players in the league and if healthy would be picked first if there was a draft tonight of the players in the court for the remainder of the season. So of course in a close game it is a huge factor. Again, I don’t care and all that matters is we won. But I don’t put blinders on either to the fact that the best player on the court missed a huge part of the second half for them in a close game.

Reactions: Gohall129 and shu09
The visceral shown towards Dawes is getting out of hand. He’s definitely a frustrating player at times, but he contributes much more than he gets credit for here.

Fair enough. His late 5 - 0 run helped win the game. He could be so much better if he played smarter. But he does come thru in some big spots. Nonetheless, the consternation toward his play has been earned by him.

Fair enough. His late 5 - 0 run helped win the game. He could be so much better if he played smarter. But he does come thru in some big spots. Nonetheless, the consternation toward his play has been earned by him.
Those two shots won the game for us IMO.

I don’t think there’s a single player on this team, with the possible exception of Dre Davis, that’s immune from the “could play much smarter” criticism. Hell, Kadary is usual good for at 2-3 plays a game that leave me scratching my head.

Why Dawes bears the brunt of that cross is beyond me.

Why Dawes bears the brunt of that cross is beyond me.

Because he's by far the biggest offender, combined with facing zero consequences from the coach for when he does play poorly (as opposed to others).

I don't condone the personal attacks, but the basketball criticism of him is fully justified. He is a mercurial player.

Last edited:
Sometimes the comments on the thread early on in the game are so absurd. It’s the same people that are sooo negative. Here is a suggestion. Don’t say anything for the first 5 minutes this way you don’t look like such a holes

This was the biggest moment of the game and honestly it will really hurt Providence’s season if he’s out an extended period. He’s one of the best players in the league hands down and they have no replacement for what he does in that 4 spot. Without Hopkins, their roster isn’t all that different than ours.
Hopkins is not their best player, Carter is. And Hopkins was having a terrible offensive game. To his credit he did have 8 rebounds.

Because he's by far the biggest offender, combined with facing zero consequences from the coach for when he does play poorly (as oppoed to others).

I don't condone the personal attacks, but the basketball criticism of him is fully justified. He is a mercurial player.
Dawes should he criticized like any other player. But who do you put in for him? Dawes will shoot us into games and out of games. We should be used to it by now. But we needed him down the stretch tonight.

Dawes should he criticized like any other player. But who do you put in for him? Dawes will shoot us into games and out of games. We should be used to it by now. But we needed him down the stretch tonight.
I think you can find more advantageous spots to put either Coleman or Sanders in for him.

Sanders entered the game for the first time with 8 minutes to play in what was becoming a hostile road environment after they hit a couple circus 3s. Not the moment to throw him into the fire if you ask me.

Maybe find an opportunity for Dawes to take a seat to gain some perspective after he puts together several low quality shot attempts or out of control turnovers. Which did happen a couple times earlier in the game.

For example the moment the team was up 8 and he leaked out on the break, wisely didn’t force the layup, but didn’t pass to an open Davis, then dribbles out to the 3 point line and hoists a ridiculous step back 3 that leads to an uncontested layup to cut the lead to 6.

Those are teaching moments for Sha that I would like to see take place immediately. A timeout there plus a substitution could have stopped their momentum and given Dawes some perspective as to why he was being removed from the game.

Hopkins is not their best player, Carter is. And Hopkins was having a terrible offensive game. To his credit he did have 8 rebounds.
Disagree. Carter is having a good year and is a good player, but Hopkins was all Big East first team last season, preseason first team all Big East this season, and coming into the year probably the second favorite for POY in the league.

Disagree. Carter is having a good year and is a good player, but Hopkins was all Big East first team last season, preseason first team all Big East this season, and coming into the year probably the second favorite for POY in the league.
They compliment each other well. Hopkins takes so much attention from the defense that it makes Carter shine. Not sure Carter has enough fire power to will Providence to many wins if Hopkins is out for an extended time

Nice win. You have to think these quality wins will matter to the selection committee. I was mostly watching the UConn women's game but looked in from time to time.

Richmond doing Richmond things: 16pts, 8 rebounds, 6 assists. Is he the best transfer in Seton history?
He could be, he's definitely had progressive growth here and people fear him. We've had some pretty good transfers though. One that transferred to us then went to you in Gibbs...

Reactions: LBP43 and CL82
I think you can find more advantageous spots to put either Coleman or Sanders in for him.

Sanders entered the game for the first time with 8 minutes to play in what was becoming a hostile road environment after they hit a couple circus 3s. Not the moment to throw him into the fire if you ask me.

Maybe find an opportunity for Dawes to take a seat to gain some perspective after he puts together several low quality shot attempts or out of control turnovers. Which did happen a couple times earlier in the game.

For example the moment the team was up 8 and he leaked out on the break, wisely didn’t force the layup, but didn’t pass to an open Davis, then dribbles out to the 3 point line and hoists a ridiculous step back 3 that leads to an uncontested layup to cut the lead to 6.

Those are teaching moments for Sha that I would like to see take place immediately. A timeout there plus a substitution could have stopped their momentum and given Dawes some perspective as to why he was being removed from the game.
That sanders sub had me scratching my head. An environment like that can be brutal. Coleman is prob the more athletic option off the bench. Weve gotta start gettimg away from the 1 on 1 drive the lane w the sole intent on shooting vs making a play or moving.the D.

Dawes was maddening but at the end of the day he played a huge role closing the game. As he has in a few of our other wins.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
None of the bench scored. We made a bunch of bad plays. We shot like shit. We played in a tough arena enen when the floor is dry. They went ahead on some tough threes and tge gym went crazy

We won. We played far from the best we can play. And we gutted it out. Thank you dylan.

Hope hopkins is ok.

Even snaketom didnt have us winning our two BE wins. Win the ones we should and who knows.
We hit enough 3s
Good number of offensive boards
Forced good number of TO
Defended the 3

This is our formula

Last edited:
Reactions: TomWall
We hit enough 3s
Good number of offensive boards
Forced good number of TO
Defended the 3

This is our formula
I agree, but isn’t that the formula for any team?

SHU so far really seems to be about the game-to-game differences on both sides from the 3 line.

It was really helpful last night that Oduru took 21 shots for PC. Less having to switch out to shooters, which is a SHU weakness.

They compliment each other well. Hopkins takes so much attention from the defense that it makes Carter shine. Not sure Carter has enough fire power to will Providence to many wins if Hopkins is out for an extended time

I guess we'll find out. Hopkins out for the year.

He could be, he's definitely had progressive growth here and people fear him.
As a Connecticut fan I'm not sure that we fear him, but we definitely respect him. The kid seems to love to play against us and always has a great game against us at home.

Now, if you excuse me, I have to go tear another page off my Kadary Richmond countdown to graduation calendar.

Sometimes the comments on the thread early on in the game are so absurd. It’s the same people that are sooo negative. Here is a suggestion. Don’t say anything for the first 5 minutes this way you don’t look like such a holes
It’s the lunatic fringe of SHU fans. LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: PROF Ed
Im not exactly Sha biggest fan so far, I dont think im wicked negative, but this game thread...holy moly...we tipped as a six point dog in a conference road game...battled for 40 minutes and lead game for a majority of crunch time. Great win. If you read this throughout you would guess a +20 point loss where Dawes was 0-15 from the floor.

He could easily drop in 25 points this Saturday and be the key to our victory. Love hate relationship for sure, my biggest issue is him staying focused and in the flow of the game. If he has an open shot in the flow of the game I want him taking it. I’ve noticed when he hits a couple of free throws and then gets a 3 point shot he seems to knock it down. He’s a player who needs to see the ball going through the hoop to go on a streak. I also think he’s a player who would benefit by sitting down for a couple minutes on the bench to regroup during a cold spell. We don’t have that luxury.

Dawes is a puzzle. He has the ability to be a hero and win games. He just seems to be out of control and frequently uses poor judgement. If he can be a little more consistent maybe we will be alright. That with a little help from the bench!!

Reactions: PirateFan94
IRON turned off netflix at halftime and went back to the game thank GOD haha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT