ADVERTISEMENT

Giant fans......

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
and or Jet fans....

Today's question

Would you trade Barkley for Darnold even up right now?

I said at the time of the draft that I would have taken Darnold over Barkley and nothing that has happened to date has made me change my mind.

For as great as Barkley played on Thursday night the Giants only scored 13 points. A RB can only change the outlook of a team so much. So yes, I'd trade them straight up right now from a Giants' perspective.

and or Jet fans....

Today's question

Not sure. This wont be a good year anyway.
Barkley is great and can get better if our line improves. Would have been tough giving a rookie QB a shot with our O line right now.

Improve the line, get a QB in the draft next year.

Reactions: flconticello
I think Barkley is/can be a special player. TBD how good Darnold will be, although you have to like what you've seen so far.

Issue for the Giants is the OL; I doubt Darnold would be doing much better than Eli with the situation at hand. Plus, I think we've got a real cancer on the team in OBJ; Giants will likely be in a regrettable situation with that contract.

I don't think many would debate that Barkley isn't the better player. Maybe even to the point that he will be the rookie of the year. But as I see it you cannot win with a QB who has the diminishing talents that Manning now has and if I were a Giant fan I would make the trade in a heartbeat.

I know Giant fans bemoan their offensive line and use that as a partial excuse for Manning's poor play. But the trade if it happened would pay dividends down the road and not just for the current year.

Getting a top flight QB isn't easy and if you believe as I do that Darnold will be a top 5-7 QB in the league in a couple of years than you sacrifice your imm future (which in the case of both NY teams is average at best) for the potential to be a major contender down the road.

Giants fan here and my answer is no absolutely not. Barkley is a once in a generation talent. He reminds me of my all time favorite running back Barry Sanders. If the Giants have another crap season and end up drafting Tua from Alabama; I'll be fine.

Reactions: Seton00
full disclosue - NYG fan here.

They have each played 6 games... Barkley has been an absolute stud - no doubt...

I still think Darnold turns the ball over too much, he did in college too. It's going to be awhile before anyone knows if he can truly be a franchise quarterback for the next 10-12 years. To date he has a 59.8% completion % and TD/INT of 9/7. He's not exactly setting the world on fire. To his credit though, the NYJ are 3-3 so he's at least been solid enough so far.

Looking like the NYG will have another top 3 pick. So to me, that wasn't the plan, but perhaps the NYG get an even better QB in the 2019 draft, who knows?

Barkley and Darnold will obviously always be linked in NY and if Darnold does turn out to be that franchise guy, the questions will always remain. But it is the NYJ after all...so also wouldn't surprise me if Darnold turns out to be mediocre at best...

Time will tell.

Giants fan here and my answer is no absolutely not. Barkley is a once in a generation talent. He reminds me of my all time favorite running back Barry Sanders. If the Giants have another crap season and end up drafting Tua from Alabama; I'll be fine.
If it were only that easy. Tua won't be draft eligible for two years and obviously there's no guarantee that the Giants would get him.

BTW, I wouldn't call Barkley a once in a generation talent but I do agree he is an amazing player and hope that the Giants do not overuse him. I would hate to see him injured within in a few years when hopefully the team turns it around.

I am a Giants fan and would not trade Barkley for Darnold. There's no reason to trade an asset like Barkley when it seems like you'll have an opportunity to draft a QB who you think has the talent to win.

No guarantees the Giants are in a position to draft a QB this year. The QB class this year is relatively weak, so a pick outside of the top 5 probably won't cut it. Do the Giants have the assets to move up? Would they want to move up?

I wouldn't be shocked if the Giants ended up 6-10 and having to move up to grab one of the top QBs.

No guarantees the Giants are in a position to draft a QB this year. The QB class this year is relatively weak, so a pick outside of the top 5 probably won't cut it. Do the Giants have the assets to move up? Would they want to move up?

I wouldn't be shocked if the Giants ended up 6-10 and having to move up to grab one of the top QBs.

Get your point overall, but the teams likely to be in the mix for a top five pick, teams like the Cardinals, Bills, Niners all have young qbs already

Get your point overall, but the teams likely to be in the mix for a top five pick, teams like the Cardinals, Bills, Niners all have young qbs already

Which is valid, but the Raiders will likely be taking a QB if they pick in the top 5 and those other teams could trade out of the spot. I hope it works out for the Giants and they're able to draft in the top 5 and get their guy, but without the assurance I'd make the trade Dan suggested.

I think Barkley is great, I just value a young QB who has potential a lot more.

Reactions: TommyAlly
Last year's QB heavy draft left only 1 or maybe 2 teams (Oakland, Denver?) that will be in a market for a QB come draft day.

Yea...Jacksonville also. I should've clarified i meant 1 or 2 teams which may have high draft slots.

Just remember teams can always trade up to put themselves in a position to draft a qb. That’s why I never rule out any team that’s not at the top of the draft winding up with a qb they want.

As a Jets fan, HELL NO I would not make that trade. Seriously you have to look at a teams needs also and the Jets biggest need is a quality QB.

Tom K

Reactions: HallLine69
As a Giants fan I love Barkley. But the right thing to do for the Giants was to take Darnold or what they thought would be a franchise QB. Now that it's done you can't make that trade anyway. I wonder how Darnold would have done with no O line or reliable RB. I like Wayne Gallman but he's not an every down back - perfect #2 guy. The most unpopular pick for the Giants was to take the best offensive tackle in the draft. But it might have been the best pick for them if they still believed in Eli. In the end its all moot - Eli is over the hill and the Giants have to move on to rebuilding.

Reactions: TomD82
I don't think many would debate that Barkley isn't the better player. Maybe even to the point that he will be the rookie of the year. But as I see it you cannot win with a QB who has the diminishing talents that Manning now has and if I were a Giant fan I would make the trade in a heartbeat.

I know Giant fans bemoan their offensive line and use that as a partial excuse for Manning's poor play. But the trade if it happened would pay dividends down the road and not just for the current year.

Getting a top flight QB isn't easy and if you believe as I do that Darnold will be a top 5-7 QB in the league in a couple of years than you sacrifice your imm future (which in the case of both NY teams is average at best) for the potential to be a major contender down the road.

I actually hope Giants trade Eli to Jax and he wins another SB. Eli takes unfair criticism for a bad team. His "decline" coincides with a putrid line and last year playing with scrubs as skill players. The recipe for a young QB is a good line and great running game to lean on. You now have the RB and will be at top of next year's draft to get your QB if you like. Also in place to continue to improve the line. SB is a one on a generation player. Not sure anyone will say that about Darnald.

Reactions: jim34238
I actually hope Giants trade Eli to Jax and he wins another SB. Eli takes unfair criticism for a bad team. His "decline" coincides with a putrid line and last year playing with scrubs as skill players. The recipe for a young QB is a good line and great running game to lean on. You now have the RB and will be at top of next year's draft to get your QB if you like. Also in place to continue to improve the line. SB is a one on a generation player. Not sure anyone will say that about Darnald.

Is Todd Gurley not from the same generation? Or Ezekiel Elliott? Or LeVeon Bell?

Barkley looks great and will be great, but it's not like he's head and shoulders above any of the players I mentioned above.

Reactions: Piratz
In this day and age people have to be right. They have been blasting the Giants for that selection since it occurred. It’s been relentless.

Thus far at 1-5, the Giants have incorrectly assessed what this season could have been. With the way Manning’s contract is structured, they loaded up for a final shot. It’s not working. All hope looks lost. Their next 4 games are against some of the worst defenses in the NFL (ATL, WAS, SF, TB). Now or never.

If it’s never, then they’re going to have a top-5 pick again. If they get their QB and have Barkley, then doesn’t it all work out anyway? And how will a rookie QB deal with OBJ? Yikes.

In this day and age people have to be right. They have been blasting the Giants for that selection since it occurred. It’s been relentless.

Thus far at 1-5, the Giants have incorrectly assessed what this season could have been. With the way Manning’s contract is structured, they loaded up for a final shot. It’s not working. All hope looks lost. Their next 4 games are against some of the worst defenses in the NFL (ATL, WAS, SF, TB). Now or never.

If it’s never, then they’re going to have a top-5 pick again. If they get their QB and have Barkley, then doesn’t it all work out anyway? And how will a rookie QB deal with OBJ? Yikes.

If they flame out and end up with a top 5 pick again and grab a QB, then yes you're right it does all work out anyway. But there are too many variables in play and there's too much of the season left before I'm ready to make that proclamation. And if it does work out it will have been by accident. It's not like the Giants planned on tanking this season and taking a QB with a top 5 pick after this season.

Today I would trade Barkley for Darnold. If at the end of the season the Giants have a pick that would allow them to take a franchise QB I would not. I would trade OBJ either way.

I can see both sides. Surely the value of the #2 slot. This is going to sound crazy given the media hysteria and everyone’s screen grabs, but I can see why they made the decision they made. Eli’s problems are not physical.

Your points are valid about Eli, but I think for all intents and purposes he is over the hill now. The Giants thought they retooled quickly like the Rams did for Goff, but in reality did not.

As I said if this past draft QBs were not worth 2nd-6th pick you can't convince me Herbert is now.

49ers, Colts, Bills won't be looking for a QB and if Gruden runs a young QB like Carr out of town he is an idiot.

To me the Giants have so many holes to fill are so slow and methodical. When you see the players they passed on doing well in the league. Conklin, Lewan, Myles Jack, Anthony Barr etc. just makes me shake my head.

Reactions: Piratz
Your points are valid about Eli, but I think for all intents and purposes he is over the hill now. The Giants thought they retooled quickly like the Rams did for Goff, but in reality did not.

As I said if this past draft QBs were not worth 2nd-6th pick you can't convince me Herbert is now.

49ers, Colts, Bills won't be looking for a QB and if Gruden runs a young QB like Carr out of town he is an idiot.

To me the Giants have so many holes to fill are so slow and methodical. When you see the players they passed on doing well in the league. Conklin, Lewan, Myles Jack, Anthony Barr etc. just makes me shake my head.

It sounds like Carr could be gone in Oakland if he doesn't turn it around. They can save a bunch of money if they get out of his deal after this year.

Jet fan here. I couldn't be happier with Darnold even though I agree that Barkley is a stud. Franchise quarterbacks are extremely difficult to obtain. Not saying Darnold has proven to be one but, at age 21, he has shown traits and flashes that indicate that he can be a very good qb in this league. Maybe the Giants can swing a trade for Carr?

and or Jet fans....

Today's question

From the Jets perspective, not a chance.

Barkley is a heck of a player.....but lets face it, the Jets haven't had a reliable, franchise quarterback in...............what seems like forever. Darnold brings hope and optimism that very, very good days lie ahead.

The Giants will need a QB.....very soon....and, as a Jets fan, we know how tough that proposition can be.

If they flame out and end up with a top 5 pick again and grab a QB, then yes you're right it does all work out anyway. But there are too many variables in play and there's too much of the season left before I'm ready to make that proclamation. And if it does work out it will have been by accident. It's not like the Giants planned on tanking this season and taking a QB with a top 5 pick after this season.

Today I would trade Barkley for Darnold. If at the end of the season the Giants have a pick that would allow them to take a franchise QB I would not. I would trade OBJ either way.

Top 5 doesn't even guarantee a top QB this year....probably only 1 pegged to drafted in the top 10....maybe 2, but only 1 clear cut choice (kid from Oregon).

Given that, there will be "buyers" for that top slot.....

I actually see the Giants winning 5 to 7 games yet this year; their schedule really lightens up now.....so, we shall see. they may end up drafting in the 10 to 15 slot range

Reactions: its haLL baLL
Top 5 doesn't even guarantee a top QB this year....probably only 1 pegged to drafted in the top 10....maybe 2, but only 1 clear cut choice (kid from Oregon).

Given that, there will be "buyers" for that top slot.....

I actually see the Giants winning 5 to 7 games yet this year; their schedule really lightens up now.....so, we shall see. they may end up drafting in the 10 to 15 slot range

And if that happens would you hypothetically rather trade Barkley for Darnold straight up?

Trade your 2019 #1, 2020 #1, and at least one other 2nd or 3rd round pick to move up and try and take a QB?

Or sign someone like Bridgewater and let him compete with Lauletta?

This is all moot, but for the sake of the argument and Dan's question it is why I'd trade Barkley for Darnold right now.

Have you watched any of the NYG games? You won't be shocked if they go 5-5 the rest of the way? I would be...

Have you watched any of the NYG games? You won't be shocked if they go 5-5 the rest of the way? I would be...

I think they could beat the Bucs at home, the Titans at home, the Colts away, and the Cowboys at home. They could maybe win another game and maybe not. Am I expecting them to win 5 more games? No, probably not. But if they did it wouldn't shock me. They're far from being a good team but they're not incapable of beating some of the other mediocre and bad ones.

if Gruden runs a young QB like Carr out of town he is an idiot.
Gruden just ran the best defensive player in the NFL out of town, then after the first 2 weeks talked about their lack of pass rush... So he might just be an idiot... Never been a fan of Gruden. Watching his team implode and stay there would be interesting...

Reactions: TomD82
I think they could beat the Bucs at home, the Titans at home, the Colts away, and the Cowboys at home. They could maybe win another game and maybe not. Am I expecting them to win 5 more games? No, probably not. But if they did it wouldn't shock me. They're far from being a good team but they're not incapable of beating some of the other mediocre and bad ones.
I agree that "on paper" there are a handful of games the NYG should be in with a chance to win... Or I could see them going 2-14. OBJ has quickly become a distraction and the defense looks terrible. Jack-rabbit has to go after this year. Guy should not be making top DB $. Vernon on the field was nice finally, but all for naught...

I agree that "on paper" there are a handful of games the NYG should be in with a chance to win... Or I could see them going 2-14. OBJ has quickly become a distraction and the defense looks terrible. Jack-rabbit has to go after this year. Guy should not be making top DB $. Vernon on the field was nice finally, but all for naught...

Honestly, I hope you're right. 5-11 or 6-10 would be the worst possible outcome for this franchise, but with the way things have been the last few years I'm getting myself mentally prepared for it.

Tua can’t turn pro until after the 2019 season. Good point on Sanders, how many playoff games did he win?

since this is all hypothetical, they could be starting a 3rd round rookie QB for three of those games. The Titans and Cowboys could possibly be playing for their postseason and the Giants will be playing out the string. The Colts game might just be a battle for the #1 pick.

since this is all hypothetical, they could be starting a 3rd round rookie QB for three of those games. The Titans and Cowboys could possibly be playing for their postseason and the Giants will be playing out the string. The Colts game might just be a battle for the #1 pick.

Definitely. What I was trying to say is it's not as cut and dry as the Giants will have Barkley and a top pick in this upcoming draft. There's a chance they will and also a chance they could end up winning some of those games and picking later in the draft. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT