ADVERTISEMENT

Giant fans......

I'll stick with Barkley who is already one of the top RB' s in the league after 6 games. Won't be able to tell if Darnold is elite for another year or so.

Reactions: flconticello
Definitely. What I was trying to say is it's not as cut and dry as the Giants will have Barkley and a top pick in this upcoming draft. There's a chance they will and also a chance they could end up winning some of those games and picking later in the draft. Time will tell.
Agreed. There's really no way to tell if the trade would be worth it until season's end.

The first year is a predictor for both Barkley and Darnold but it’s the second year that will tell us if we’re seeing players that are on their way to elite status and keys to their team’s success.

The first year is a predictor for both Barkley and Darnold but it’s the second year that will tell us if we’re seeing players that are on their way to elite status and keys to their team’s success.
Hindsight is always 20-20. But the question is for today not after the fact two years down the road.

BTW, just came back from the gym and while there I spoke to 4 guys. Three Giant fans and one Jet fan and each one said the same thing. No way in hell I would make the trade.

I think fans are just echoing their own company line. Very few fans of their own team would make the trade. Maybe that simply means each team is perceived as fixing a major roster problem.

Is Todd Gurley not from the same generation? Or Ezekiel Elliott? Or LeVeon Bell?

Barkley looks great and will be great, but it's not like he's head and shoulders above any of the players I mentioned above.

I'm not sure people's perceptions of three backs you mentioned would be the same had they had the Giants' ol blocking for them.

Reactions: Seton00
As a Jets fan, HELL NO I would not make that trade. Seriously you have to look at a teams needs also and the Jets biggest need is a quality QB.

Tom K
I agree as Jet fan...and as someone who also likes the Giants, if were them I would make the trade. As good as Barkley is, the Giants should have drafted Darnold in the first place. Eli's days as an elite QB are 'finito'.

To be fair as a giants fan I would not make that trade but have to admit, if I were a jets fan I'd say the same.

Didn't the jets have a RB rush for over 200yds this weekend? They already had a pretty good running game. Their QB's have been a joke. What RB on the Giants roster (before Barkley) could you even expect to rush for 100yds in a game? Jennings, Darkwa, Gallman?

I believe if memory serves me correctly that only Darkwa did it last season, once all year. I still believe that if the Giants had even a decent OL, Eli could win. Everyone says he's over the hill, skills diminishing etc. Where is that evident? He's never been Mobile or accurate as a passer. His game had always been having great touch getting the ball down the field.

The TD to Odell showed that given time, he can still put that ball on the money. Problem is that they changed the offense best suited to his skills to an offense that contradicts his skills. If someone can dispute this with facts/evidence I'd welcome your argument.

I felt the same about Phil Simms when they cut him coming off a playoff loss to 49ers to go with Dave Brown... we all know how that went.

Reactions: Burnsly
Tua can’t turn pro until after the 2019 season. Good point on Sanders, how many playoff games did he win?

My mistake on Tua but if the Giants suck again (which they will) and end up with a Top 5 pick they can get a rookie QB that is just as good as Darnold. I'm not knocking Darnold; I think he will be good but I believe you can draft a QB this year that will be just as good. I personally like Herbert at Oregon

LOL, I would make the trade in a flat second as a Giant fan. And I think Barkley is unbelievable. But the NFL is about the quarterback. Great to have a RB like Barkley AFTER you solve the QB position.

If you polled NFL front office people and asked if they'd - as the Jets GM - trade Darnold for Barkley, you'd get 99% NO with the 1 YES answer being Dave Gettleman.

Reactions: SnakeTom
Dan Graziano was on the Michael Kay show yesterday discussing the state of the Giants , Eli and OBJ . He laid the principal problem on the poor drafts of the latter years of the Reese/Ross tenure as producing little in the way of talent and too many misses with their premium picks. Said Eli is no longer a quality QB and that it will be a long rebuild and have to get the next couple of drafts right . On OBJ said the Giants knew what they were getting when they signed him to a new contract and now that he got his money he thinks OBJ will still be a distraction .

Reactions: Section112
Having a RB like Barkley who not only is a outstanding RB but a high quality receiver as well will help when the Giants draft their next QB and give him another option to go to as he gains experience. Having an option like Barkley will help keep defenses honest and hopefully speed up the next QB’s development.

If the vote has to be made today, Barkley is a sure thing. Darnold has been ok, but still turns the ball over way too much. Can he cut down on those and become a top end QB? It's possible, but jury is definitely still out.

Dan Graziano was on the Michael Kay show yesterday discussing the state of the Giants , Eli and OBJ . He laid the principal problem on the poor drafts of the latter years of the Reese/Ross tenure as producing little in the way of talent and too many misses with their premium picks. Said Eli is no longer a quality QB and that it will be a long rebuild and have to get the next couple of drafts right . On OBJ said the Giants knew what they were getting when they signed him to a new contract and now that he got his money he thinks OBJ will still be a distraction .
No matter how bad Eli is, the prior drafts are the biggest part of the problem. For 2017, 3, 5 and 6 are gone. For 2016 3,5, and 6 are gone. For 2015 we only have the #2 pick left (Landon Collins). For 2014 only OBJ at #1 is still on the team. For 2013 and 2012 no Giants drafted are on the roster. I had to look again to see if that is possible but that is what is left - crazy!

Having a RB like Barkley who not only is a outstanding RB but a high quality receiver as well will help when the Giants draft their next QB and give him another option to go to as he gains experience. Having an option like Barkley will help keep defenses honest and hopefully speed up the next QB’s development.

Or the Giants struggle to find a QB and waste Barkley's most productive years. Remember the average career of a RB is 3 years. It makes me cringe to think about Barkley getting 170-200 more touches this season on this garbage, dead-end team.

No matter how bad Eli is, the prior drafts are the biggest part of the problem. For 2017, 3, 5 and 6 are gone. For 2016 3,5, and 6 are gone. For 2015 we only have the #2 pick left (Landon Collins). For 2014 only OBJ at #1 is still on the team. For 2013 and 2012 no Giants drafted are on the roster. I had to look again to see if that is possible but that is what is left - crazy!

There’s no doubt that the poor , and in some cases , beyond poor drafts have put the Giants where they are today but equally at fault is Mara and Tisch for not pulling the plug on Reese and Ross sooner. The evidence was clear that the drafts were not producing the talent the Giants needed yet Reese and Ross kept their jobs.

Piratz
The draft certainly is the biggest issue that has put them in the position they are today but there are others that have contributed as well and could be laid at Reese’s doorstep and include the following:
1. The failure to address key positions thru free agency or the draft like the O- Line , Linebacker, Running Back and when he finally did he didn’t get it right and
2. Overpaying for free agents as he tried to play catch-up at positions of need.

Last edited:
Reese never addressed the OL fully and completely ignored pass rusher and LB. His draft philosophy completely strayed from Ernie's. And look how many 2nd-4 round picks never made it on the field from Piratz's post.
His best mid round picks were Andre Williams and Demontre Moore.

Reese never addressed the OL fully and completely ignored pass rusher and LB. His draft philosophy completely strayed from Ernie's. And look how many 2nd-4 round picks never made it on the field from Piratz's post.
His best mid round picks were Andre Williams and Demontre Moore.

If those two are the highlight on your resume, you're still looking for a job.

Reactions: TomD82
Reports that Justin Herbert is going to return to Oregon for his senior season. So Giants could potentially end up with a top 5 pick and no QB worthy of the pick.

Reports that Justin Herbert is going to return to Oregon for his senior season. So Giants could potentially end up with a top 5 pick and no QB worthy of the pick.

I’ll believe it when I see it regarding him returning to school. If that is the case, however, rebuild that oline (supposed to be a good draft for olinemen), then go all in on Lauletta.

Reactions: flconticello
See the Raiders are shopping Amari Cooper and want a number one in return and has teams interested including the Cowboys . If Cooper can bring a number one OBJ could likely bring more .

See the Raiders are shopping Amari Cooper and want a number one in return and has teams interested including the Cowboys . If Cooper can bring a number one OBJ could likely bring more .

Jon Gruden is going to run that franchise into the ground

Reactions: TomD82
The Giants O- Line is undergoing major changes. Omameh, the free agent signing that got a three year $15 million deal is being benched.Pro FB Focus has him ranked as the 67 ranked guard with a 51.1 rating. John Greco will move from center and take Omameh’s position . Spencer Pulley will start at center. It’s bad enough when you overpay for a free agent but to put him on the bench because he hasn’t got the job done is a disappointment. Another reason why Gettlemen’s free agent signings are getting low grades and that includes Stewart the RB from Carolina who got a two year deal worth $6.9 million . Ask yourself why any GM would give a RB who has been in the league 11 years a two year deal worth that much money especially when you take a RB with the second overall pick in the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section112
I’ll believe it when I see it regarding him returning to school. If that is the case, however, rebuild that oline (supposed to be a good draft for olinemen), then go all in on Lauletta.

It sounds legit but who knows. His younger brother will be a freshman tight end there next year and he’s a local kid. We’ll see if being the number one overall pick supersedes all that. It would for me.

As a Jets fan, even if I am guaranteed Saquan is a top-10 all time Hall of Fame RB I wouldn't trade Sam for him.

Reports that Justin Herbert is going to return to Oregon for his senior season. Giants could potentially end up with a top 5 pick and no QB worthy of the pick.

Giants could turn to Daniel Jones from Duke who is a mobile, dual threat QB with a big arm and stands 6’5” .Think Eli who can run as a way to describe him .

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Giants could turn to Daniel Jones from Duke who is a mobile, dual threat QB with a big arm and stands 6’5” .Think Eli who can run as a way to describe him .

Does Duke play football ??? I didn't think Coach K allowed it.

TK

Oddly enough, Duke head coach David Cutcliffe coached both Peyton and Eli in college

As a Jets fan, even if I am guaranteed Saquan is a top-10 all time Hall of Fame RB I wouldn't trade Sam for him.
https://nypost.com/2018/10/21/sam-d...mpaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPSportsTwitter

Obviously week to week this early in a career you can't Monday Morning QB...but I still think, as I have said before, Darnold turns the ball over WAY too much. He is obviously not the first rookie to ever do so and many others have gone on to great careers. Just saying, I'm not sure you can anoint Darnold as a franchise QB just yet...can you?

I have no clue, but aside from the bluster of the NYG saying they believed in Eli and thought they could "win now" with Barkley...maybe they also just didn't like any of the top QBs? Again, I have no idea, just keeping the conversation going.

Reactions: jim34238
The Giants O- Line is undergoing major changes. Omameh, the free agent signing that got a three year $15 million deal is being benched.Pro FB Focus has him ranked as the 67 ranked guard with a 51.1 rating. John Greco will move from center and take Omameh’s position . Spencer Pulley will start at center. It’s bad enough when you overpay for a free agent but to put him on the bench because he hasn’t got the job done is a disappointment. Another reason why Gettlemen’s free agent signings are getting low grades and that includes Stewart the RB from Carolina who got a two year deal worth $6.9 million . Ask yourself why any GM would give a RB who has been in the league 11 years a two year deal worth that much money especially when you take a RB with the second overall pick in the draft.
Just unbelievable. They had a center who proved he could play and they unload him for nothing. Tackles are at a premium to guards and they throw money at a mediocre one it appears and they go with Flowers at OT again to start the season.

This draft does have good tackles and the Giants cannot afford to miss in this draft.

Have to say Gettleman's moves have been about 50/50 and no better than that. The O lineman he got and paid for were a fail with the exception of Solder and maybe Greco. Stewart was a fail and we will see how the Ogletree deal works over the season. Can't seem to hold onto a 3rd receiver or returner. Safety is still a question and they had lots of guys competing for the job. He was left with a mess but a few of his moves have been questionable at best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT