ADVERTISEMENT

Giant fans......

In the NFL you can rebuild quickly, but it's damn near impossible when you don't have a QB, OL, or pass rush. The Giants are weakest at all of the premium positions. You typically can't fill the holes the Giants have in one or two draft classes and free agency periods.

Because of that, I'd trade anyone and everyone on the roster that teams inquire about outside of Barkley, but you could probably sell me on that if the haul was huge because I don't see the Giants being competitive any time soon.

This is what happens when you kick the can down the road for years and badly evaluate your own talent time and time again.

The question of how long it takes to rebuild depends on how many positions of need have to be filled. With the Giants , it’s a QB, four offensive linemen, at least one edge rusher, a defensive tackle , one or maybe two linebackers and at least two defensive backs . You can’t fill those needs in one draft or possibly even two plus you need cap space to address those needs as well thru free agency. The Giants rebuild will not be accomplished quickly and it must get it 100% right in finding Eli’s replacement as it’s top priority.

Last edited:
The NFL is so year-to-year now. Last year the Rams and Jaguars improved by what, 6-7 games each?

The Giants have young weapons. Barkley, Beckham, Shepard, and Engram will keep you competitive. But they are rendered useless unless that offensive line is improved. If that's improved, they'll be back into contention quickly, even with an inexperienced QB. If that line is improved, you can allow Barkley to help the new QB by having an actual running game. It's THAT big of a deal, you'll see.

Here you go: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/offensive-line/

Defensively they need two impact players: (1) Another bonafide pass rusher to complement Vernon and (2) a competent free safety.

Then you use the 9 picks they have (possibly more) to build depth.

Gettleman has to explain letting Fluker, Jones, and Jerry go. They are much better than what's being run out there now.

Last edited:
The NFL is so year-to-year now. Last year the Ram and Jaguars improved by what, 6-7 games each?

The Giants have young weapons. Barkley, Beckham, Shepard, and Engram will keep you competitive. But they are rendered useless unless that offensive line is improved. If that's improved, they'll be back into contention quickly, even with an inexperienced QB. If that line is improved, you can allow Barkley to help the new QB by having an actual running game. It's THAT big of a deal, you'll see.

Defensively they need two impact players: (1) Another bonafide pass rusher to complement Vernon and (2) a competent free safety.

They're also going to likely need two starting corners and a starting middle linebacker, unless someone steps up the rest of the season and stakes their claim on those positions.

They're also going to likely need two starting corners and a starting middle linebacker, unless someone steps up the rest of the season and stakes their claim on those positions.

I don't think Ogletree is bad. He and Goodson are workable as the interior LB's in Bettcher's base 3-4 scheme, especially if you can develop more of a pass rush.

You're right on corners. They really like this kid Beal, who is out for the year. I'm assuming Jenkins will not be traded.

My guess is you see one big name Giant traded today whether its Jenkins or Barwin or Vernon. I can tell you no O lineman will be traded - lol. No one wants them. Some sports writers have rumored trading Shepard or Engram which would be silly (low cap costs and very good young players).

I don't think Ogletree is bad. He and Goodson are workable as the interior LB's in Bettcher's base 3-4 scheme, especially if you can develop more of a pass rush.

You're right on corners. They really like this kid Beal, who is out for the year. I'm assuming Jenkins will not be traded.

You're right, I forgot about the kid they took in the supplemental draft, so hopefully he takes one of the spots. I just looked at Jenkins contract - he has $7 million in dead cap if he's not traded so the corner spots may be locked up next year. That would be a plus if Jenkins can rediscover his form.

I'm not sold on Ogletree. He can't play in pass coverage and has graded out pretty poorly. PFF rankings aren't gospel, but he's 49th out of 54 ILB this year and 53rd out of 54 in pass coverage.

Last edited:
The NFL is so year-to-year now. Last year the Rams and Jaguars improved by what, 6-7 games each?

Gettleman has to explain letting Fluker, Jones, and Jerry go. They are much better than what's being run out there now.

This 100%. I mentioned it in another post, but I would consider spending the first two picks on O Linemen. Revamping the oline is so crucial and considering the Giants have the skill position players already they could see a turn around pretty quickly, but it all starts with that o line

You’re right when you say the Giants have young weapons but they are all at the offensive skill positions but noticeably absent is a QB. Ernie Accorsi said it best when he said if you’re building a team you begin with both lines, offense and defense and until the Giants do that they’ll continue to struggle to win games. The debate will begin on what to do with this year’s first round pick:
1. Draft a QB in a draft with no standout QB’s ;
2.Trade down and add picks that allow you to fill more positions of need;
3. Take the highest rated player on your board at a position of need , i.e. edge rusher , OT. DB

Last edited:
You would think Gettleman and Shurmur would like to be better than last years 3-13. Keeping a couple of guys around like Jenkins and Vernon out there will help. So would playing Eli over Lauletta for several more games.

I’d like to see them at least trade Jenkins and maybe pick up a 4th or 5th rounder and shed some expense too.

Vernon might be the most attractive Giant to trade for by another team that’s in the playoff hunt.

You read about athletes and other celebrities do something really stupid that turns a routine traffic stop for a moving or other traffic violation into something worse. Just pull over, be polite accept the ticket and move on.

Dumb, but pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. If he can play quarterback, no one will remember or care about this.

Reactions: Section112
Giants ended up with TWO third round picks in 2009-Ramses Barden and Travis Beckham-oof

And in that same draft they had two second round picks and they drafted LB Clint Sintim who was the 45 pick and was a disaster who never started or was in the rotation and OT William Beatty who played but was a poor left tackle as the 60Th pick.

Heard Shurmur on w/Francesa in the car this afternoon and Shurmur didn’t seem like they were going to be making a QB change anytime soon. Joy.

Heard Shurmur on w/Francesa in the car this afternoon and Shurmur didn’t seem like they were going to be making a QB change anytime soon. Joy.

Putting aside today's arrest, Lauletta hadn't even been active on a game day. Same deal with Webb last year under McAdoo. Why? They're not ready to play. They cannot even beat out the backup. Neither Lauletta or Webb were top pick of 1st/2nd Rounders. These were not players projected to be NFL starters.

Webb didn't even get a look beyond a practice squad by another team in the league.

Giants should just play Eli, let the home finale be his last game, then move forward. You'll draft a guy and sign a veteran like Bridgewater or Bradford, both of whom have played for Shumur. Same as what the Giants did in 2004.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
Putting aside today's arrest, Lauletta hadn't even been active on a game day. Same deal with Webb last year under McAdoo. Why? They're not ready to play. They cannot even beat out the backup. Neither Lauletta or Webb were top pick of 1st/2nd Rounders. These were not players projected to be NFL starters.

Webb didn't even get a look beyond a practice squad by another team in the league.

Giants should just play Eli, let the home finale be his last game, then move forward. You'll draft a guy and sign a veteran like Bridgewater or Bradford, both of whom have played for Shumur. Same as what the Giants did in 2004.
You make valid points about Webb, but still he was a 3rd round pick from a PAC12 school. Maybe he is a Kirk Cousins a former 4th round pick. I jut wish he had gotten a shot to play. Alex Tanney does not need to be on this roster or any roster where Eli is the QB. A complete waste just like Geno Smith was.

You make valid points about Webb, but still he was a 3rd round pick from a PAC12 school. Maybe he is a Kirk Cousins a former 4th round pick. I jut wish he had gotten a shot to play. Alex Tanney does not need to be on this roster or any roster where Eli is the QB. A complete waste just like Geno Smith was.

Webb didn't look great in preseason, but he didn't look bad enough to release in favor of Alex Tanney. It was an odd move, just as it was odd not to give him a few starts last season.

Reactions: TomD82
One of the things that is clear is Gettleman and Shurmur are all about their guys. Getting rid of Webb was a curious move unless they really did not like his future. Dak Prescott was a 4th round draft pick so sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough. Is Lauletta that guy? Not so sure.

Regardless if I'm him today, I go in front of the press on my own and apologize to the police and the Giants organization for his actions and take responsibility. Be a man - noone does this anymore. Show folks you are a leader and take responsibility and then move on. That would show me something.

One of the things that is clear is Gettleman and Shurmur are all about their guys. Getting rid of Webb was a curious move unless they really did not like his future. Dak Prescott was a 4th round draft pick so sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough. Is Lauletta that guy? Not so sure.

Regardless if I'm him today, I go in front of the press on my own and apologize to the police and the Giants organization for his actions and take responsibility. Be a man - noone does this anymore. Show folks you are a leader and take responsibility and then move on. That would show me something.

Is there no better example of that then Gettlemen adding Jonathan Steward and signing him to a $6, 9 million deal with $2,950,000 guaranteed . Now in his 11th season his last year at Caroline he got into 15 games, started 10 and averaged 45.3 yards per game and 3.4 yards per attempt totaling 680total yards . Overpaid for an aging 10 year RB who was on the decline and then you give him a two year deal and guarantee him just short of $3 million . That’s rewarding a player for what he did for Gettlemen while he was the GM at Carolina not what was best for the Giants.

Reactions: Section112
As bad as the NYG Drafts have been recently, and obviously they have been BAD... I saw a stat flashed on MNF that the Buffalo Bills only have 3 draft picks prior to 2017 on their entire roster...

Now THAT is poor drafting of biblical proportions... Although I guess at this point, the NYG probably don't have many more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT