ADVERTISEMENT

How facing Rutgers is the perfect ending for Daisha Simmons

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
How facing Rutgers is the perfect ending for this Seton Hall transfer
-bc9cb3c68d8b7eac.JPG

By Steve Politi | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

SOUTH ORANGE - Christena Simmons saw all of her daughter's home games at Seton Hall this year, almost always arriving in her own uniform: A blue knit cap with the U.S. Postal Service logo on the front, a matching light blue shirt and gray pants.

She would make short drive up South Orange Avenue immediately after leaving her mail route in Newark to make sure she didn't a miss a minute. She was never the only family member cheering for her daughter Daisha - in fact, for one late-season game, there were nearly 40 friends and relatives crammed behind the bench to cheer her on.

So even now, with the Pirates preparing to face Rutgers in a first-round NCAA Tournament game this weekend, Christena Simmons has a hard time believe how this year began. Even now, after the happy ending everyone wanted, she struggles with the acrimonious beginning.

Why would anyone and anything - namely her former coaches at the University of Alabama and the dumb NCAA rules - not want Daisha to have this kind of support for her final season of college basketball?

And how could anyone not understand just how much support Daisha herself could provide her family when she moved back to her native state this year, just a few miles from where she grew up in Jersey City?

"These are adults, people that we entrusted our child to," Christena Simmons said. "They're supposed to be role models to these kids, and in some aspects, parents to them. How could they? No compassion."

This was a happy night, just moments after Seton Hall learned it was returning to the NCAA Tournament field, so nobody wanted to relive that past. Still, it should be remembered, both for the callous decision by Alabama leaders not to release Daisha Simmons, but by the social media outrage that forced them to change their mind.

Simmons was granted to her release to play immediately, but only after the intense pressure from big names in college basketball like Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale. It took the outrage, in the form of a #FreeDaishaSimmons hashtag, to change Alabama's decision. But it didn't change the fact that the NCAA and its members still have too much control over the young adults who are playing for their teams.

That, really, was lost in this. Simmons is 24. She completed her undergraduate degree. Her reasons for wanting to come back home were real and serious - her brother, Chaz, is awaiting a kidney transplant and needs dialysis three days a week - but even if it wasn't, why shouldn't be allowed to choose where she plays?

"It's crazy," Seton Hall coach Tony Bozzella said. "It could have been very under the radar with no storyline, and unfortunately, it became a big storyline. In the end, Daisha grew stronger as a person, and we grew stronger as a team knowing that, you know what, fight for what you believe in.

"And you know what? The girls know that in life now. Fight for whatever you believe in."

Bozzella remembers the emotional day this fall when Simmons got her good news, the way the players and the coaches hugged at center court before a practice. She was in tears then, relieved and happy.

Six months later, there were tears, just joy when the name Seton Hall popped into the tournament bracket. Simmons is one of the biggest reasons why, averaging 16.9 points a game and earning the Big East defensive player of the year honors.

That she'll play Rutgers, the program where she started her college career after graduating Gill St. Bernard, is just one more way her whole career is coming full circle.

"I thought enough of her to start her as a freshman so that tells you a lot," Rutgers head coach C. Vivian Stringer said. "It's too bad. We'll see what happens with that. Long story short. We'll see what happens."

If that sounded like one more challenge, Simmons is ready for it. She said she's exactly where she wants to be, back home where she can drive Chaz to his doctor's appointments (his transplant is expected this spring) and pick up her mom from her second job at Target.

She's doing well in her sports management classes, a program she plans to finish after she chases a professional basketball career in the fall. Plus, she said, she saw just how many people had her back at the toughest point of her life.

"To know I had the support from people I didn't know, that was the greatest part of this whole thing," Daisha Simmons said, but even after the happy ending, you still can't help but wonder why she needed it at all.

Steve Politi may be reached at spoliti@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @StevePoliti. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

This post was edited on 3/18 10:30 AM by Halldan1

http://www.nj.com/setonhall/index.ssf/2015/03/how_facing_rutgers_is_the_perfect_ending_for_this.html#incart_2box_sports_index.ssf

For those that don't think our voice is heard on this site read below the quote from the article...

Still, it should be remembered, both for the callous decision by Alabama leaders not to release Daisha Simmons, but by the social media outrage that forced them to change their mind.

The outrage started here from our fans and was then further advanced by a great article by Jerry Carino.

That lead to Bilas and Vitale getting involved.

Tony Bozzella has told me often that he was grateful for the outcry that came from our board and strongly believes that played a major part in the freeDaisha movement.

Bozzella set to enjoy father-daughter dance at NCAA Tournament
17291660-mmmain.jpg

Anthony Bozzella, head coach of Seton Hall women, speaks to crowd as Seton Hall women's basketball team reacts to the NCAA selection and the game against Rutgers as they watch from Walsh Gym in South Orange, NJ 3/16/15 (William Perlman | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

SOUTH ORANGE -- When the Seton Hall women's basketball team takes on Rutgers in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, it'll be a special moment for Pirates coach Tony Bozzella on a few different levels.

As a 1989 Seton Hall graduate, it'll be special for him because he has guided his alma mater to its first Tournament appearance in 20 years. As a coach, it'll be special because it'll mark Bozzella's first trip back to March Madness since he took LIU Brooklyn to the first round in 2001.

But it'll also be special for him as a father, because he'll get to share the dance with his daughter, Samantha, a Pirate freshman who joined the team this season as a walk-on guard.

"It's unbelievable," Bozzella said after the team's practice on Tuesday. "My daughter and I are very close. She used to come scouting and recruiting with me all the time when she was younger, so to be able to make the NCAA Tournament and share it with her and look on the bench and see her there is a moment I'll never forget."

Samantha, who is redshirting the 2014-15 year, said she always hoped to play college basketball for her father, especially after growing up around the game.

"It's an interesting experience," Samantha said. "I think that it's been my dream ever since I was little to play for my dad, so for it to actually happen, it's just great. There are tough times where we've had to work on the line between a parent and a coach, but he's my best friend, so we just work through it."

As a senior in high school, Samantha helped lead Long Island's Half Hollow Hills East to a 15-5 overall record and its first division title in 20 years. She initially planned to attend Iona and walk onto the Gaels women's basketball team, as her father held the head coaching position there for 11 years.

But when Bozzella left Iona to take over the Seton Hall program in 2013, she decided to follow him to South Orange. Samantha said the decision wasn't difficult, particularly since her mother also graduated from Seton Hall.

"I've always thought about coming here," she said. "Both my parents went here, so it was always a thing, but I've wanted to play for him since I was little. If he was at Iona, I would've went to Iona, if he was at any school, I would have went there to play for him."

Still, Bozzella admits that it was hard to straddle the line between being a father and being a coach when his daughter first joined the team.

"We struggled with it a little bit at the beginning," he said. "It was tough. I'm not dad, I'm her coach. We had a couple rough spots early on, but our players have been one thousand percent great with her."

Samantha added that having supportive teammates has also made the transition easier.

"That's what I was really nervous about, especially coming in here in the summer, like how they would take it, but no, they accept me as one of them," she said. "He just treats me like everyone else. If I mess up, he'll yell at me and tell me I'm doing something wrong. If I do good, he'll tell me I'm doing good."

The Bozzellas still manage to maintain a normal father-daughter relationship off the court, as the two grab dinner once a week and often meet for breakfast, though Samantha says they usually end up talking about basketball.

While she's been able to relish the team's success this season from the sidelines, seeing her father earn coaching accolades -- including being named the Big East Women's Basketball Coach of the Year and a national semifinalist for the Naismith Trophy National Women's College Coach of the Year -- has only made the experience even sweeter.

"I'm so happy and so proud for him," Samantha said. "He works so hard. I can't even put into words how amazing this experience is. Even just being at the Big East Tournament and winning the regular season, doing all this stuff, all his first big things here. Being able to do it together, it's just so amazing."

Maria Guardado may be reached at mguardado@njadvancemedia.com. Follow her on Twitter @mi_guardado. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

http://www.nj.com/setonhall/index.ssf/2015/03/seton_halls_tony_bozzella_set_to_enjoy_father-daug.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT