ADVERTISEMENT

I'd rather avoid the 8-9 seed.

A win over UConn would secure a 9 seed. BET win over Creighton would secure a 7 seed.

Reactions: TomD82
It won't. The committee has proved this time and time again.
if the scenario played out to win the BET we’d have 4 top 10 wins this season. the second most top 10wins in CBB. Less losses than the high majors on the 8/9 line. More quad 1 wins. I don’t buy that it wouldn’t have major impact this year and that the committee would put a BET champ at the 8/9 game

That being said. I don’t expect us to win the BET

The committee has proven they will not punish a team for losing or getting upset early in their conference tournament… also they won’t reward

Its all nonsense. 8 9 10 11, u are playing good teams and whether u get.them now or next day u cant avoid it

Its all nonsense. 8 9 10 11, u are playing good teams and whether u get.them now or next day u cant avoid it
The 8-9 gets a 1 in the second game and 3 of the 1s are head and shoulders above everyone else in the country this year. The 2s are a big drop off from those 3.

I’d rather get the 7 v 11 as an 11 and play a 2 as opposed to a 1 as an 8 or 9

we won the BET tourney in 2016. Ended up with a 6 seed. Barely moved up. That run took alot out of the team we peaked to early. Beat St Johns and play well against UConn. 10 seed. Hopefully the highest ten seed. That would be optimal.

if the scenario played out to win the BET we’d have 4 top 10 wins this season. the second most top 10wins in CBB. Less losses than the high majors on the 8/9 line. More quad 1 wins. I don’t buy that it wouldn’t have major impact this year and that the committee would put a BET champ at the 8/9 game

I would like to see it, but with the net we have I don't see the committee moving teams like us up that much based on where teams like St Mary's. Utah State and Nevada were seeded last year. Valid point on number of wins and the BET champs not being "rewarded "with an 8-9 seed, but late in the season bubble teams conference tourney champs do get put in the 8-9 game I think. I could be wrong.

I would like to see it, but with the net we have I don't see the committee moving teams like us up that much based on where teams like St Mary's. Utah State and Nevada were seeded last year. Valid point on number of wins and the BET champs not being "rewarded "with an 8-9 seed, but late in the season bubble teams conference tourney champs do get put in the 8-9 game I think. I could be wrong.
Who knows. I think this year more than ever shows the flaws of the Net and the committee will have to rely more on the head to head visual outside of metrics which benefit us. Maybe a bit too optimistic in them doing the right thing

Villanova will finish with 15 losses and in the net top 40.

Kansas is ranked in the top 20 in both rankings and net with 9 losses.

A win over UConn would secure a 9 seed. BET win over Creighton would secure a 7 seed.

We would have four top 15 wins including two top 10 wins under your scenario. Still impressive.

We would also have 11 wins outside the top 150, seven of them outside the top 200 and four of those outside the top 300. That's 11 of 23 wins that are essentially worthless.

If we are truly sitting on the 10 or 11 line right now, three wins isn't getting us to a seven. If we're a nine today, yes I can see the above scenario moving us to a seven.

But, as has been noted, the Selection Committee in recent years hasn't been prone to overvaluing conference tournament runs. And no one win (or loss) isn't moving us two full seeds.

Someone will feel our pain with the NET and metrics when they draw us first round as a 10 or 11 and they say where paying who?!! Didn’t they finish 4th in top conf and beat UCONN and Marquette AND CREIGHTON TO triple OT.

Reactions: PirateFan94

We definitely were rewarded in 2016. We were not a 6-seed until knocking off top tier teams in Xavier and Nova (and Creighton).
That was 8 years ago, things have changed, also you can say that they def should have been higher after beating Creighton a borderline top 25 team, then Xavier and Villanova, 2 top 5 teams…

Reactions: PirateFan94
That was 8 years ago, things have changed, also you can say that they def should have been higher after beating Creighton a borderline top 25 team, then Xavier and Villanova, 2 top 5 teams…
Not that I expected it to happen 😂, but I’d put money on a 7-seed if we win the BET.

It’s BET, anything can happen.

Reactions: Gohall129
So, I think it's better to better to avoid Dayton, become a 10 seed and not be in the 8/9game. We will be more likely to have a winnable game and advance to the round of 32 in my opinion. Also, I guess if we maintain hopes for playing in Brooklyn, then an 8/9 scenario would probably eliminate us with UConn the possible 1 seed there. Is that correct? Plus, since we are not a strong road team playing at a venue that is going to be dominated by a school's fanbase won't be helpful. Very tough to beat any 1 seed near their geographical areas. I'd like to avoid the last game in Spokane or Utah. Doesn't allow for our fans to be there and waiting all day stinks for our players and everyone else. Brookyn, Charlotte and even Omaha could be good landing spots.

If that Gonzaga team was really under seeded they would have had no problem with Syracuse in the 2nd round. Syracuse arguably should not have been in the field and then went on a run. If Gonzaga was truly under seeded they would have not what SU did that year.

Reactions: SPK145
We’re gonna get a 10 or 11 the big east won’t change that the committee has made it clear.

not nonsense at all. statistically its better to be a 10 seed. eventually you have to play good teams, but youre guaranteed up front as an 8/9. as a 7/10 theres not only a small chance you play a 15, but the #2 team is more beatable.

I want the 8-9 in the same bracket as Purdue. If Sha could beat them with St Peters, he could get this team to beat them. I bet the committee sets this up.
I sort of have this theory as well. I’m not sure how serious about it I am but the more I talk about it, the more I could see it happening. And I’d sign up for it in a heartbeat. Purdue will seek revenge. Sha will seek a repeat.

If that Gonzaga team was really under seeded they would have had no problem with Syracuse in the 2nd round. Syracuse arguably should not have been in the field and then went on a run. If Gonzaga was truly under seeded they would have not what SU did that year.
Syracuse won that game on a blown over and back call in the final minute or so. The officiating administrators admitted that after the game.

Reactions: catholicman
Really hope we just win Thursday and take best shot at UConn. We obviously deserve bid even if we lose and probably safely in. However, for some reason I have little faith in committee. I would be a bit more relaxed next Sunday with one more win. :)

I'd be very happy with an 11 or 12 seed, as long as we can avoid the play-in. Our path to the Sweet Sixteen is more difficult as a 9 or 10 seed.

Syracuse won that game on a blown over and back call in the final minute or so. The officiating administrators admitted that after the game.
So if Gonzaga was so under seeded then they should have won that game easily.

One game at a time, but I saw a stat once that 10 seeds are like 30% more likely to reach the sweet 16. If anyone could confirm/deny that I’d love to know if it’s true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT