ADVERTISEMENT

Jahari Long Commited

Bird in hand... look at all the times we have been holding the bag and scrambling . I love the decisiveness !

How good is long? What is his game like? Seems to be ranked just outside of top 200 by 247...

Two players from areas where you would not expect SH to have recruiting success and two players who were not on my list of players we would see committing in Mid- July. Another surprise commitment from my perspective.

Welcome to.him, look it's a slippery slope when putting out so many offers, reminds me of the scene from hoop dreams when Kevin oneal tells gates there are 6 players for 4 ships...if you offer the kid and he wants to commit you gotta go through with it

Bird in hand... look at all the times we have been holding the bag and scrambling . I love the decisiveness !

I was thrilled with the Stevens pick up, this not so much. We have Anthony Nelson. If we wanted to pick up a PG, you’d think it would be a
Kinda reminds me of Anthony Nelson reading his description along with his ranking

That’s why I’m pretty confused as to why we jumped on this so quickly. We already have Anthony Nelson who’s game I love. I think he will be great in the coming years. I don’t see the benefit in this commit. But maybe I’m wrong.

Well, there goes Posh and Farrakhan.
Not being overly negative here but simply expressing my feelings as a long time passionate fan. While Long seems like a decent pickup I’m really heartbroken that we likely won’t land Posh or Noah. In previous years this would have been expected, acceptable, and fine; but with us as a pre-season top 15 if we can’t get these top tier talents now I guess we never will. I was so looking forward to and hoping to see either one of those kids playing in Pirate blue. Both game changers in different ways. Going to be sick when I see what competitor lands them.

I was thrilled with the Stevens pick up, this not so much. We have Anthony Nelson. If we wanted to pick up a PG, you’d think it would be a

That’s why I’m pretty confused as to why we jumped on this so quickly. We already have Anthony Nelson who’s game I love. I think he will be great in the coming years. I don’t see the benefit in this commit. But maybe I’m wrong.
It is a pg who will rise his senior year

That’s why I’m pretty confused as to why we jumped on this so quickly. We already have Anthony Nelson who’s game I love. I think he will be great in the coming years. I don’t see the benefit in this commit. But maybe I’m wrong.[/

Long to pick up the mantle once Nelson graduates, I like it

Not being overly negative here but simply expressing my feelings as a long time passionate fan. While Long seems like a decent pickup I’m really heartbroken that we likely won’t land Posh or Noah. In previous years this would have been expected, acceptable, and fine; but with us as a pre-season top 15 if we can’t get these top tier talents now I guess we never will. I was so looking forward to and hoping to see either one of those kids playing in Pirate blue. Both game changers in different ways. Going to be sick when I see what competitor lands them.
Long and Posh are ranked very similar, I agree missing on Ferahkan does suck though. One positive ok Posh would be he would bring a different dimension compared to Nelson.

Let’s say Noah wasn’t coming, I wonder if taking the commitment now has anything to do with rumored concerns around posh eligibility.

Definitely signals a new recruiting strategy, I believe this is the first time in about 5-6 years that we’ve gotten commits in the summer. Sends a signal to future recruits that the hall is a place to commit early too.

Hope there is a cherry (or two) on top of this sundae in the coming months/weeks

Actually I’m going to amend my last post that this was a decent get...unless the doors were completely closed (and who knows what the behind the scenes story is) on Posh and Noah I think this is a bad move for us. We have a promising young point guard in Nelson so it’s not a position of real need unless you can land a special player.
To really upgrade. Long is a 3 star player from Texas. We aren’t desperate, why blow that ship now? ...unless there’s things we don’t know about the Posh/ Noah situation.

Been following the board fanatically for the last couple of months anxiously awaiting the special news of a big signing, now I just want to take a break. Really thought this was our year where things would be different.

Info from last years Gonzaga DC classic:

Jahari Long, Episcopal (TX): The 6-foot-2 guard had a nice game in the opener. He said he has offers from Wichita State, TCU, College of Charleston, Louisiana Tech, VCU, Rice, Louisiana, UT San Antonio and others. He also said that Minnesota and Purdue are also in the mix. Long was great on the glass and helped his team separate the lead in the second half with his aggressive rim attacks.

Actually I’m going to amend my last post that this was a decent get...unless the doors were completely closed (and who knows what the behind the scenes story is) on Posh and Noah I think this is a bad move for us. We have a promising young point guard in Nelson so it’s not a position of real need unless you can land a special player.
To really upgrade. Long is a 3 star player from Texas. We aren’t desperate, why blow that ship now? ...unless there’s things we don’t know about the Posh/ Noah situation.

Been following the board fanatically for the last couple of months anxiously awaiting the special news of a big signing, now I just want to take a break. Really thought this was our year where things would be different.
We will agree to disagree

My point exactly. So much for the MONSTER 2020 class. Now it looks like we’re losing ground on Maddox as well. Disappointed to say the least.

What a swing. I was ecstatic that we landed Dimingus. This is a weak move IMO.

This is from a Minnesota rivals article about their July targets.

Scouting Report:
""Personally I am a fan of Long’s game. The way he gets downhill as a 6-foot-2 guard and will get in his mid range bag is impressive and I think he is underrated as a playmaker. But at the same time, that word consistency keeps popping up and I do believe he needs to iron some of that out to get his stock trending back upwards." - Lyndon Cook, Texas Hoops

His recruitment - We spoke with Long last week. He told us the three schools that stand out are Minnesota, Seton Hall, and TCU. Long has taken officials to the Twin Cities and New Jersey, and says he hopes to see Fort Worth as well.

Although he doesn't say a lot, he did indicate Seton Hall has made a big push for him, and a source we spoke with agrees. Tony Skinn recruited Long while he was an assistant at Louisiana Tech. Now that he has the same role with the Pirates. He is using his long relationship with the point guard to his advantage. Where Long goes may also depend on where he stands in the pecking order of point guards that are on each team's list.

His offers is a lot of bad teams. Ugh. Hopefully he is good. I keep reading he can only drive & pass - no shot at all

His offers is a lot of bad teams. Ugh. Hopefully he is good. I keep reading he can only drive & pass - no shot at all
Come on man a lot of those were two years ago or last year before he improved ... don’t look at it that way.

We all complain when we are left scrambling yet we all complain when we take a kid early. We can’t have it both ways.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT