ADVERTISEMENT

Jahari Long Commited

You guys are really tough to figure out.....I kill Willard routinely, but this is a good pickup. You guys would rather have Posh commit, and then not be eligible than to get this kid??? This kind of kid would be LONG gone by the time Posh doesnt make it. Good job Team Willard.

Thank God for Skinn!!!
Unless you know something that I don’t know it’s pure speculation that Posh won’t be eligible.

I’m actually a big supporter of Willard but think we underachieved here.

Reactions: HallBall7392
Hate beating a dead horse but rankings and stars can be complete SH*T !!!

Just look at:
Damien Lillard
CJ McCollum
Steph Curry

Not saying he is this caliber player, but coming out of high school, none of these dudes were highly regarded!

Then you have guys like Isiaiah Briscoe, Naz Reid, Cliff Alexander recently who where MCDonalds AA not get drafted.

Give the guy and our staff a chance!

I literally just said lower ranked players can end up being better. But more often than not, it comes down to how good the players are that you bring in. The talent being brought in is an improvement on the early Willard years...it is NOT an improvement on the 2014 or 2016 class.
Class is not done. Right now this class still has a good chance to be better than the class of Powell and Gordon. And with the world of transfers it’s crazy to just look at based on HS recruits.

Reactions: LBP43 and RobCan
True, but go back and look at their rankings out of high school. Point is, sometimes having solid four year guys you can develop can lead to special runs come March. You don’t necessarily have to load up on 5 stars
Of course. But going from 3 star to first round pick is incredibly rare. I just think we should be able to grab consensus 4 stars at this stage that will likely give you some huge minutes in their first year.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I’d love to go back and see the reactions on this board when Powell committed.
If you go by rankings I think Powell was the 3rd highest rated recruit we’ve had in this run, behind Whitehead and Delgado (he was 80ish). Most were happy to have him.

I was thrilled with the Stevens pick up, this not so much. We have Anthony Nelson. If we wanted to pick up a PG, you’d think it would be a

That’s why I’m pretty confused as to why we jumped on this so quickly. We already have Anthony Nelson who’s game I love. I think he will be great in the coming years. I don’t see the benefit in this commit. But maybe I’m wrong.
Nelson will be a Junior when Long steps on the court. That gives us two years to groom Long.

Class is not done. Right now this class still has a good chance to be better than the class of Powell and Gordon. And with the world of transfers it’s crazy to just look at based on HS recruits.
If we land a 4 star recruit in this class I’ll shut up. But it doesn’t look that way and the two we’ve gotten so far are guys with terrific strengths but are apparently pretty far behind in different areas. We need another star after Powell leaves and I’m not sure if we’ll get it from our recent classes.

Powell had the ability and versatility to be a huge part of our offense right away. I don’t see that for long, Stevens, or Samuel and rhoden and Nelson weren’t there yet. And I talk about immediate impact because I think that speaks to a players potential. Powell had the ability to be a star and we saw that from his first few games.

Maybe these guys will be lottery picks and lead us to a final four. But I like our chances better with guys that are reported to be more talented and well-rounded.

Both sides of the debate are correct. The coaching staff does a tremendous job of getting the most out of its players. It’s led to a great run on success (for us). But at the end of the day you do generally need talent to win. The best year they had was with the most talented player. Since whitehead left, the team is 4 games over .500 in conference and 1-3 in the tournament.

We are poised to have the best year in recent memory because the staff took a kid ranked in the 80s and let him develop into a top 10 player. We need more of that.

Last edited:
I’d love to go back and see the reactions on this board when Powell committed.
I was pretty damn happy!:p Where the program was when we signed him it was a very solid pickup. ...and thank heaven he worked his tail off to get in incredible shape and push the limits of his not inconsiderable god given talent! Thank you Myles!!!

This is a very different situation.

I was pretty damn happy!:p Where the program was when we signed him it was a very solid pickup. ...and thank heaven he worked his tail off to get in incredible shape and push the limits of his not inconsiderable god given talent! Thank you Myles!!!

This is a very different situation.
We did a good job that year, we targeted 2 kids, got one, and had the other but for a harvard education, and both are terrific college players.

Reactions: SHU_Pirate1
Want to retry and actually make a post that makes sense.

No need to be a dick, junior, but since you lack comprehension skills, those two teams lacked “Star power” recruits in their recruiting, yet made the Final Four. Understand now?

No need to be a dick, junior, but since you lack comprehension skills, those two teams lacked “Star power” recruits in their recruiting, yet made the Final Four. Understand now?
TExas Tech has leveraged that success to bring in 5 four star players in the last two recruiting cycles.

Honestly know little about Long, but seems ranked similar to Posh. People have to realize SHU is not getting the 5 star player on any normal basis, so we have to fill our roster with quality 3 & 4 star players, which Long seems to fit. Will he be good, I have no idea, but that is pretty much the case with most 3 & lower 4 star players.

Reactions: mzadnik
Honestly know little about Long, but seems ranked similar to Posh. People have to realize SHU is not getting the 5 star player on any normal basis, so we have to fill our roster with quality 3 & 4 star players, which Long seems to fit. Will he be good, I have no idea, but that is pretty much the case with most 3 & lower 4 star players.
The only place I see them both ranked is 247 composite which has Alexander at 99 and Long at 212.

https://247sports.com/Player/Posh-Alexander-46036259/

https://247sports.com/Player/Jahari-Long-46058766/

Prep Hoops has Jamari Long ranked # 138 in the nation and Alexander 105.

If you go by rankings I think Powell was the 3rd highest rated recruit we’ve had in this run, behind Whitehead and Delgado (he was 80ish). Most were happy to have him.
As I remember, cale was more highly ranked than Powell

Reactions: shupat08
As I remember, cale was more highly ranked than Powell
They were very close. Without doing too much research, ESPN had Powell at 74 and Cale at 83. I’m sure there may be other services that have it flipped.

I wish Long well and hope he has a great career and gets the most of his educational opportunities at the Hall.

Having said that, I am underwhelmed that we added a 3 star player who sounds like an Anthony Nelson clone. Stevens was a great pickup given his shooting skill. But Long’s commitment seems to indicate we are out on the more highly rated PG’s we’ve been chasing. Perhaps if we’d had some degree of success in the NCAA’s instead of being regular one and outs we’d be a more attractive destination for top players.

But such is not the case so I will just hope Long exceeds expectations and helps us make a couple of deep runs in the NCAA’s.

They were very close. Without doing too much research, ESPN had Powell at 74 and Cale at 83. I’m sure there may be other services that have it flipped.

You are right. Powell dropped in the rankings at the end of his senior year and most recruiting rankings had him in the low 100’s. Verbal commits has him as a composite ranking of 93 of major recruiting services. Did not check Cale’s but I do recall he was in the 80’s and 90’s so they were comparable in rankings. ESPN had Powell at 81 and Cale at 77 at the end of their respective senior years.

Long seems like a decent player, should definitely improve in his time at the Hall, but I was expecting better for a PG recruit. I have Farrakhan and Posh as better than him although Posh might have grade issues.

I wish Long well and hope he has a great career and gets the most of his educational opportunities at the Hall.

Having said that, I am underwhelmed that we added a 3 star player who sounds like an Anthony Nelson clone. Stevens was a great pickup given his shooting skill. But Long’s commitment seems to indicate we are out on the more highly rated PG’s we’ve been chasing. Perhaps if we’d had some degree of success in the NCAA’s instead of being regular one and outs we’d be a more attractive destination for top players.

But such is not the case so I will just hope Long exceeds expectations and helps us make a couple of deep runs in the NCAA’s.
The knock on Willard’s recruiting by many on this board was that he never brings in true PGs who can facilitate and control pace. He has now brought in 2 such players in 3 years. I don’t understand the criticism that Long sounds like an Anthony Nelson clone.

Long seems like a decent player, should definitely improve in his time at the Hall, but I was expecting better for a PG recruit. I have Farrakhan and Posh as better than him although Posh might have grade issues.

Long seems to have come out of nowhere and was a player we didn’t offer until this June while both Farrakhan and Posh we’ve been involved with since 2018.

When people wonder if coaches deserve seven figure annual salaries (they don't) this thread is Exhibit A for why they do.

You are catering to 17-21 year-old kids who generally have outsized belief in their own abilities. You have a limited number of openings to fill and you've offered 10 players for every available scholarship. You have to manage taking a lower ranked player who wants to come to your school over someone who might be more highly thought of but isn't ready to (and make never) make a commitment.

On the other side are the supporters of the school many who have outsized expectations of reality for their school who are ready to pounce on any real or perceived slight the coach makes. In this case apparently settling for a decent player that can develop for two years behind an incumbent at the same position is a problem because every player has to come into a program and be able to start and play 35 minutes et al.

For the record, I am all for upgrading the talent level in the program. That is the best way to get to where we all (I think) want the program to get. I posted in another thread that I liked the highlight reel of Farrakahn. I liked him enough to really want him to come here because he looks like a player. But, I'd also rather have a solid kid who wants to be here than keep waiting and miss out for one reason or another on our prime targets.

I also think it's a joke that people here are saying if we can't get top kids now when can we. Keep winning and they will come.

When people wonder if coaches deserve seven figure annual salaries (they don't) this thread is Exhibit A for why they do.

You are catering to 17-21 year-old kids who generally have outsized belief in their own abilities. You have a limited number of openings to fill and you've offered 10 players for every available scholarship. You have to manage taking a lower ranked player who wants to come to your school over someone who might be more highly thought of but isn't ready to (and make never) make a commitment.

On the other side are the supporters of the school many who have outsized expectations of reality for their school who are ready to pounce on any real or perceived slight the coach makes. In this case apparently settling for a decent player that can develop for two years behind an incumbent at the same position is a problem because every player has to come into a program and be able to start and play 35 minutes et al.

For the record, I am all for upgrading the talent level in the program. That is the best way to get to where we all (I think) want the program to get. I posted in another thread that I liked the highlight reel of Farrakahn. I liked him enough to really want him to come here because he looks like a player. But, I'd also rather have a solid kid who wants to be here than keep waiting and miss out for one reason or another on our prime targets.

I also think it's a joke that people here are saying if we can't get top kids now when can we. Keep winning and they will come.

Mic drop, post of the week.

The 1 PG I definitely wanted more than Long was Karim Mane. I like Posh also but I think there is a test score/grade issue. Farrakhan is an incredible athlete but I think there are reasons why he isn’t ranked higher and not sure he’d be a good fit running the show for Kevin Willard. I like Kadary Richmond too:

I really don’t know enough about Long to make an informed decision but what I’ve seen/heard, I like. If anyone knows of any full games available of his, please provide the links.

As I posted earlier, I think we filled our main needs with Molson, Ming and Long but in order to feel strong about this class, I think they need to bring in 1 headliner. Maddox, Mane, Lane, Moncrieffe, Calhoun, etc would turn it from a solid class to a strong class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT