ADVERTISEMENT

Jahari Long Commited

The 1 PG I definitely wanted more than Long was Karim Mane. I like Posh also but I think there is a test score/grade issue. Farrakhan is an incredible athlete but I think there are reasons why he isn’t ranked higher and not sure he’d be a good fit running the show for Kevin Willard. I like Kadary Richmond too:

I really don’t know enough about Long to make an informed decision but what I’ve seen/heard, I like. If anyone knows of any full games available of his, please provide the links.

As I posted earlier, I think we filled our main needs with Molson, Ming and Long but in order to feel strong about this class, I think they need to bring in 1 headliner. Maddox, Mane, Lane, Moncrieffe, Calhoun, etc would turn it from a solid class to a strong class.
Love Richmond!

Re
Long seems to have come out of nowhere and was a player we didn’t offer until this June while both Farrakhan and Posh we’ve been involved with since 2018.

Remember the recent class (2 years ago) that had 5 friends that played on the same AAU team their junior year and were talking about possibly coming as a package deal and they all ended up going to other schools. We ended up with none of them and we recruited them since there sophomore or freshman years. Rhodes was recruited later than those 5 and I think we got a good one.

I am excited to have a player that wants to be here. Who knows MAYBE KW called Posh and Noah and said I have a kid that wants to commit but you are my priority are you willing to commit to our program and they said they couldn’t do it right now....LOL

We got a 4 star in Stevens and a rising tall athletic facilitator in Long. How can anyone complain? If Nelson is our PG for the future ... Farrakhan was not sitting for 2 years. He is taller than Posh with a pass first mentality...Posh was a short tweener.

no one is saying this kid is our next starting PG. If he’s good with taking a likely backup role to Nelson his 1st 2 years here; fine. Likely will need some depth so why not.

I personally believe SHU is a program that is going to need to continue to be built getting the 3 star guys who can develop over 4 years. Sprinkle in the occasional 4 star and then every once in a while a 5 star and we’ll be good.

When going after the big fish like Timberlake, Maddox and Farrakhan we are going up against schools with incredible training facilities and sprawling dorms and campus’. SHU may have been on these kids early but I could see how we eventually fade off in the rear view mirror. It doesn’t make sense try and to keep playing catch-up while your plan b target is ready to commit. Heck I was watching footage of Noah roaming around the campus at his high school IMG and the place was freaking unreal. It looked like a few of the Ritz Carlton’s that the Booster Club has stayed at on our great trips. Until we get our Practice facility upgrades like Providence just did it is going to be a very uphill battle.

Reactions: thehall07
When going after the big fish like Timberlake, Maddox and Farrakhan we are going up against schools with incredible training facilities and sprawling dorms and campus’. SHU may have been on these kids early but I could see how we eventually fade off in the rear view mirror. It doesn’t make sense try and to keep playing catch-up while your plan b target is ready to commit. Heck I was watching footage of Noah roaming around the campus at his high school IMG and the place was freaking unreal. It looked like a few of the Ritz Carlton’s that the Booster Club has stayed at on our great trips. Until we get our Practice facility upgrades like Providence just did it is going to be a very uphill battle.
It’s ALWAYS going to be an uphill battle...

Reactions: garyshu71
Willard waits for top player, gets snubbed, has to scramble = complaints.
Willard targets second tier ideal player, gets early verbal = complaints.

For some to be happy he had to get a player off their list.

And what is ironic is that most complaining have probably not seen one minute of the player. Willard has earned our trust, and we are much better getting 4 year guys versus players that have one foot out the door for the NBA as soon as they step on campus. We are not Kentucky.

Maybe this means we get Griffin next year, which was on the condition we didn’t take Timberlake or someone else...

Lol, as plausible a statement as everyone who complains that we don’t lock some of these guys up early, which is on the kid as well as the staff.

By the way, by no means do I believe what I stated. I do trust the staff and would rather have a bunch of top 150 with a few top 100 kids sprinkled in than wait on all top 75 top 50 types and come up empty when a P5 state school or Duke comes swooping in.

Willard waits for top player, gets snubbed, has to scramble = complaints.
Willard targets second tier ideal player, gets early verbal = complaints.

For some to be happy he had to get a player off their list.
He has to get a player off HIS list... hes not doing it and the expectation is that he should be getting top players when the program is at its most hyped stage in 30 years.

Providence, xavier... even depaul are landing top guys and we are not.

Swinging and missing is bad
Taking the safe option is bad
Not swinging and missing and getting one top rated player coming off 4 straight ncaa appearances, a preseason top 15 ranking, and having the hottest schedule in the league is good

Reactions: SHUMatt
He has to get a player off HIS list... hes not doing it and the expectation is that he should be getting top players when the program is at its most hyped stage in 30 years.

Providence, xavier... even depaul are landing top guys and we are not.

Swinging and missing is bad
Taking the safe option is bad
Not swinging and missing and getting one top rated player coming off 4 straight ncaa appearances, a preseason top 15 ranking, and having the hottest schedule in the league is good
Are you saying Long was not on his list? Who exactly offered?

If you have an inside track to Willard & staff’s actual wishlist, please do tell. Or, I assume you like 99% of us, have lists compiled by various posts here, twitter feeds and oh, of course, kids we offered.

If we didn’t actually offer long, we need an in depth investigation to how we ended up with a kid who was not on our list, neither Willard’s nor the idiotic fans lists...

Are you saying Long was not on his list? Who exactly offered?

If you have an inside track to Willard & staff’s actual wishlist, please do tell. Or, I assume you like 99% of us, have lists compiled by various posts here, twitter feeds and oh, of course, kids we offered.

If we didn’t actually offer long, we need an in depth investigation to how we ended up with a kid who was not on our list, neither Willard’s nor the idiotic fans lists...
If long was even in his top 3 choices for pg position than we have an even worse problem... so we gonna go with that??

If long was even in his top 3 choices for pg position than we have an even worse problem... so we gonna go with that??

Can I have your in-depth scouting report on each player (Posh, Long, Noah)?

Must cover:
- BBALL IQ
- Defensive abilities
- Skills (rebounding, passing, shooting, driving, playmaking)
- List of intangibles each player has
- How each player has improved/plateaued over the summer recruiting period
- How the unofficial and officials visits with each player/family went
- What KW/Staff was looking for from 2020 PG recruit vs what these recruits expect out of the teams recruiting them

Thanks for your insights!

Must cover:
- BBALL IQ
- Defensive abilities
- What KW/Staff was looking for from 2020 PG recruit vs what these recruits expect out of the teams recruiting them

Too many people on this board fall in love with numbers next to a player name on rivals scout 247 etc it's a great hype mechanism....we can go through many examples since the end of the abcd era of kids that were ranked and don't worry about an nba career because their college career was not much

I love how you believe you know what the coaching staff's plans are and who is on Willard's list. You are so cute.

Must cover:
- BBALL IQ
- Defensive abilities

Also, if they actually played pickup against current Seton Hall players and what those players saw (wow'd, unimpressed, bad chemistry vibe, etc.).

Also, if they actually played pickup against current Seton Hall players and what those players saw (wow'd, unimpressed, bad chemistry vibe, etc.).
So detailed guys lol .. really doubt anyone has this though

So detailed guys lol .. really doubt anyone has this though

That's the point. Dudes talking out their you know what about these recruits.

Was I stunned by Stevens and Long commits? Yes. Would I like to know more about them? Yes.

But I'd also assume if KW/Skinn went after these guys to commit in July they must really like them. And like Nelson and Rhoden who both climbed the rankings their senior years, I'll wait to see what happens over the next 6-7 months with these guys and who else rounds out our class.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT