ADVERTISEMENT

Jahari Long Commited

I am not a fan of Willard's recruiting but I do like his new assistants. I will say that Willard can develop players and has an excellent relationship with his teams. My other concerns have always been the gaps in the roster when we are always filling in holes with out of position non-Big East talent. I think we are improving and have a decently balanced roster this year and will be making some noise in March. If we make the Sweet 16 that's when we have to get a few top 50 players and will IMO.
As far as Long is concerned what's not to like he has good size for a PG, plays good defense uses either hand going to the hole, and most importantly gives the ball to the open man when he penetrates.,I can't remember when we had a pg who does that, they always are shooting out of control. His form on his jumper is not that bad where a lot of gym time can improve it.

I am not a fan of Willard's recruiting but I do like his new assistants. I will say that Willard can develop players and has an excellent relationship with his teams. My other concerns have always been the gaps in the roster when we are always filling in holes with out of position non-Big East talent. I think we are improving and have a decently balanced roster this year and will be making some noise in March. If we make the Sweet 16 that's when we have to get a few top 50 players and will IMO.
As far as Long is concerned what's not to like he has good size for a PG, plays good defense uses either hand going to the hole, and most importantly gives the ball to the open man when he penetrates.,I can't remember when we had a pg who does that, they always are shooting out of control. His form on his jumper is not that bad where a lot of gym time can improve it.
I knowHoop Scoops has not been a favorite in the past on these boards, but I just checked Clark's 2020 ratings and he's got long at 73 and Stevens at 91. Maybe he's more on the ball than he's been given credit for

It strikes me as a lot of overreaction here. I don’t know either player but it sounds like Skinn has been on them for a while. I know I’ve criticize the staff historically for not reading the tea leaves, and maybe they are now doing a better job of that.

Certainly not going to kill the staff are not getting top 50 players. We are not there yet. How many teams not named Villanova in the BE are landing top 50 kids? Skinn (and 40) are earning their money. These two kids and Ikey are a good start for Skinn. Nothing wrong with finding good talent, developing it and having four year players to enjoy and keep winning. KW also has done a much better job of filling in with transfers, graduates, etc and balancing the class. This seems to be the strategy de jour.

I knowHoop Scoops has not been a favorite in the past on these boards, but I just checked Clark's 2020 ratings and he's got long at 73 and Stevens at 91. Maybe he's more on the ball than he's been given credit for

I didn’t even think they were still around. I used to subscribe to their service when I used to go to the summer camps.

I trust the staff to identify and develop talent. I also understand the negativity because we’ve been led to believe we were in good with better players and these two commits came out of nowhere.

These two commits seem like the types that have built us into what we’ve become over the past 5 or so years and no reason to believe they aren’t capable of building on it. Would be nice to land a big fish, hopefully it will happen in the next cycle.

It strikes me as a lot of overreaction here. I don’t know either player but it sounds like Skinn has been on them for a while. I know I’ve criticize the staff historically for not reading the tea leaves, and maybe they are now doing a better job of that.

Certainly not going to kill the staff are not getting top 50 players. We are not there yet. How many teams not named Villanova in the BE are landing top 50 kids? Skinn (and 40) are earning their money. These two kids and Ikey are a good start for Skinn. Nothing wrong with finding good talent, developing it and having four year players to enjoy and keep winning. KW also has done a much better job of filling in with transfers, graduates, etc and balancing the class. This seems to be the strategy de jour.
Anyone remember Steph Curry’s recruitment and going to Davidson? Please - let’s defer to the experts and trust our staff. How about Brad Stevens’ success at Butler with average to above average recruits?

I’ve been a season ticket holder for 20+ years and I like what we have going here with Kevin Willard and our staff. I wasn’t always a believer, but we are coming off 4 straight NCAA tourneys, have many true student athletes and program we can be proud of! Go Hall!

Anyone remember Steph Curry’s recruitment and going to Davidson? Please - let’s defer to the experts and trust our staff. How about Brad Stevens’ success at Butler with average to above average recruits?

I’ve been a season ticket holder for 20+ years and I like what we have going here with Kevin Willard and our staff. I wasn’t always a believer, but we are coming off 4 straight NCAA tourneys, have many true student athletes and program we can be proud of! Go Hall!

Well Brad Stevens is Brad Stevens, which is why he is where he is. Davidson got to 1 elite 8 with Steph Curry, which was nice but what have they done as a program since then?

Willard has had some success...But the fact is he hasn't gotten past the 1st weekend yet. I think to get there consistently, he needs more Top 50- 75 type talent.

Well Brad Stevens is Brad Stevens, which is why he is where he is. Davidson got to 1 elite 8 with Steph Curry, which was nice but what have they done as a program since then?

Willard has had some success...But the fact is he hasn't gotten past the 1st weekend yet. I think to get there consistently, he needs more Top 50- 75 type talent.

This is just a false take. Unless Seton Halls campus changes over night, facilities improve etc it’s going to always be challenging at seton hall to get 50-75 guys.

This is just a false take. Unless Seton Halls campus changes over night, facilities improve etc it’s going to always be challenging at seton hall to get 50-75 guys.

Trying to call a spade, a spade. None of those need to change. You just need really wealthy alums who want to get involved in the recruiting process. Surprisingly when you have those Dalembert, Griffin, and Barrett type talent show up.

Trying to call a spade, a spade. None of those need to change. You just need really wealthy alums who want to get involved in the recruiting process. Surprisingly when you have those Dalembert, Griffin, and Barrett type talent show up.

As I remember it, those three committed to the hottest young coach in a generation.

Reactions: thehall07
As I remember it, those three committed to the hottest young coach in a generation.
Yes they did. But by no means was Tommy’s amakers name alone stealing recruits from a slew of sleezy coaches. Just use common sense and everything we know about recruiting. Look at what Chris Duhon got to go to Duke. Do you think Griffin turned down offers like Duhon got just to play for the hottest young coach in a generation?

Reactions: deheremike
This is a key comment from the link above....

Long is great at controlling the pace of the game and not allowing the defense to rattle or speed him up.

Willard is a stickler for his PG to control tempo. When I spoke to Madison Jones late in his last season at the Hall he told me that it took him until January to fully understand what Willard wanted from him. And that's coming from a player who played the point his entire life and in college played it in the ACC and Big East.

Reactions: Section112
Jarrett Culver was a 3 Star recruit and not ranked in the Top 150 nationally. This has been my point all along.

There really is no point here.

Many players outside the Top 150 have become very good players; many players inside the Top 150 never pan out.

When one's team gets a player considered outside the Top 150, one rationalizes to the first point; when one's team gets a player considered inside the Top 150, one never mentions the second point.

The recent record speaks for itself. Put up or shut up. Lately Willard and team have been putting up.

Last edited:
There really is no point here.

Many players outside the Top 150 have become very good players; many players inside the Top 150 never pan out.

When one's team gets a player considered outside the Top 150, one rationalizes to the first point; when one's team gets a player considered inside the Top 150, one never mentions the second point.

Really it comes down to building a balanced team. Who cares if you have a team full of top 150 players, but none of them have a good outside shot. Who cares if you have a team full of top 150 talent, but none of them are good defenders.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Kudos to Tyler for his reporting:

“Some Seton Hall fans might strongly disagree with this, but I believe Long is a better fit than Posh Alexander would’ve been. The Pirates need a true point guard running the show and Long is that guy. Alexander is more of a combo guard who isn’t exactly known for playing stout defense. With Kevin Willard, if you don’t defend, you don’t play. Long never takes a play off defensively and has a bulldog mentality. He could become one of Willard’s favorite players early on in his college career because of that.

Before it’s all said and done, Long has a very good chance to become a consensus four-star recruit and top 100-125 player. You can question whether or not he was worth taking over Noah Farrakhan or Alexander all you want, but Seton Hall is getting a very good player whom the staff made a priority after his official visit.”

Sometimes a player doesn’t have a specific skill that the coach feels that is vital to the team. He may have that skill somewhat or very developed compared to the other point/combo guards we were recruiting. According to the article, he already has court vision and defensive ability and could be further along in those skills than the other point guards. Let’s see how he does his senior year and support him instead of putting him down by comparing him negatively to the other recruits. The important part is he was willing to commit to our program early and the others did not.

There can be little disagreement among the SH fans that getting a commitment from a true point guard has been a priority for this team for more then just this year . It also is true that of all the players being recruited this year the one player who represented the highest probability of signing with us was Posh Alexander , who many saw as the answer to our need to fill the point guard position although some questioned whether his strength was more as a SG then a point.

The staff has gone in a different direction then anticipated by adding Long to play the point over Posh and over time the reasons for that decision will ultimately come to the surface but now we should support the player who said yes to coming here and put the courtship with Posh behind us .

I've been as critical as anyone about Willard's teams not making it past the first weekend, but in three of the last four years, there was certainly enough talent/ experience to do so (this past season, perhaps not). The main culprit has been his inability to drive their focus and avoid the mid-season swoon that has consistently earned them a lower seed than those rosters' assemblage of talent dictated. Again, this past season was a transitional season spearheaded by one incredible player, so I wouldn't say that was the case in 2018-19.

There was a real opportunity two seasons ago to get past the first weekend, but when you sleepwalk for a month and get a seed that sees you playing Kansas in Round Two, good luck with that.

I have real hope this season will be different, and can become the kind of season that really give Willard the juice he needs on the trail. That said, I'm happy with these two guys, who fit right in with the nice level of talent he's already gotten here.

I've been as critical as anyone about Willard's teams not making it past the first weekend, but in three of the last four years, there was certainly enough talent/ experience to do so (this past season, perhaps not). The main culprit has been his inability to drive their focus and avoid the mid-season swoon that has consistently earned them a lower seed than those rosters' assemblage of talent dictated. Again, this past season was a transitional season spearheaded by one incredible player, so I wouldn't say that was the case in 2018-19.

There was a real opportunity two seasons ago to get past the first weekend, but when you sleepwalk for a month and get a seed that sees you playing Kansas in Round Two, good luck with that.

I have real hope this season will be different, and can become the kind of season that really give Willard the juice he needs on the trail. That said, I'm happy with these two guys, who fit right in with the nice level of talent he's already gotten here.
No excuse on the Kansas game it was there for the taking despite being an in state game, Kansas was not awake for the first ten minutes unfortunately neither was shu

No excuse on the Kansas game it was there for the taking despite being an in state game, Kansas was not awake for the first ten minutes unfortunately neither was shu
That is was there for the taking is testament to what that team could've actually done. Imagine if they didn't have to play KU in that game? Should've been an EASY Sweet Sixteen team, and that would give Willard even greater leverage on the trail today.

That is was there for the taking is testament to what that team could've actually done. Imagine if they didn't have to play KU in that game? Should've been an EASY Sweet Sixteen team, and that would give Willard even greater leverage on the trail today.
My stated opinion was that Kansas/shu was a sweet 16 matchup in the second round. Yet another shaky midseason swoon and of course desi likely being at best 50 to 60 percent for that game. SHU missed a lot of shots and had sloppy ball possession the first ten minutes. With that said they did build a few basket lead 3/4 way through the first half but the first ten minutes could have been a double digit deficit that Kansas was facing

I don't think anyone is disputing that these two are nice players and players that should fit in nicely at SHU. Their frustration comes from the fact that they basically came out of nowhere. They were not the names we have been told we have been recruiting and not the stud class we were told we would be getting with all the recent success.

Personally, I like these two players and think they can be part of a special class. If they are the headliners of the class we are middle of the pack in the BE rankings. If we land one or two top 100 players with them we will climb towards the top of the BE rankings.

Lets see who else we land before rate this class. There is still plenty of time and a ton of top players still on the board.

I don't think anyone is disputing that these two are nice players and players that should fit in nicely at SHU. Their frustration comes from the fact that they basically came out of nowhere. They were not the names we have been told we have been recruiting

With respect that's not true. They have been listed on the Trove as players SHU had offered and had official visits.

They might not have been our highest rated targets but they were by no means unknowns.

Not an excuse but a fact that besides playing Kansas in what was essentially a home game for them we had a couple of things that truly hurt us. It was a terribly officiated game with the Hall getting a lot of really bad whistles that just killed us. Also we were playing with a shell of Desi Rodriguez. He never recovered from the Duncan Donuts fiasco. So many focused on Angel that year...sure for good reason...but can't underestimate what Desi meant to that team. When he was healthy he could take over games and was poised for a break out tournament before the injury. I'll always say it was such a sad and unfair way for Desi to go out that way. The kid worked so hard over his 4 years to improve his game, and grow up as a young man...he... and we really deserved a better ending. An even...or even close to even whistle and a healthy Desi and we're in the Sweet 16.

19-22 min mark

Seems like they think he wasn’t great as a fresh or soph and is a late bloomer but had some rave reviews in his junior year in HS and Cooz Elite....has all physical tools but needs to work on shot to be more consistent.

Reactions: hallstorm and Joe_T
no one is saying this kid is our next starting PG. If he’s good with taking a likely backup role to Nelson his 1st 2 years here; fine. Likely will need some depth so why not.

I personally believe SHU is a program that is going to need to continue to be built getting the 3 star guys who can develop over 4 years. Sprinkle in the occasional 4 star and then every once in a while a 5 star and we’ll be good.
You nailed it. We have been averaging one 4 Star each year and we've gotten to watch them develop into seasoned seniors. We will have three 4 Star starters this year and two 4 Stars off the bench, and a bunch of capable 3 Star athletes. Go Pirates!!!

But what if the season turned around BECAUSE of the Dunkin Donuts fiasco? Hmmmmn.

??? Hmmm, what am I missing here? Having what may have been our second best...and many times our best player that year and a guy who could take over games for us get injured turn around the season? I know it's National tequila day but perhaps I haven't had enough Cuervo to get that one. Lolzzz :D A healthy Desi in that tourney...and not to mention in the BET going into the big dance and we were going much deeper that year. Was a VERY sad situation and there's not other way to spin that. "You're a long time and respected poster here Lloyde but I gotta say that makes no sense at all.

??? Hmmm, what am I missing here? Having what may have been our second best...and many times our best player that year and a guy who could take over games for us get injured turn around the season? I know it's National tequila day but perhaps I haven't had enough Cuervo to get that one. Lolzzz :D A healthy Desi in that tourney...and not to mention in the BET going into the big dance and we were going much deeper that year. Was a VERY sad situation and there's not other way to spin that. "You're a long time and respected poster here Lloyde but I gotta say that makes no sense at all.

There’s another way to spin it......It makes plenty of sense if you think beyond what you saw on the court watching games. And actually, watching games did give you a glimpse. If you go back and think about why things turned around for the team after that debacle in Providence, that’s probably the biggest clue.

There’s another way to spin it......It makes plenty of sense if you think beyond what you saw on the court watching games. And actually, watching games did give you a glimpse. If you go back and think about why things turned around for the team after that debacle in Providence, that’s probably the biggest clue.

Hence why last year was such a good "team".......

Interesting, I can read between the lines on that and a little surprised and disappointed to hear that. I know Desi had his “problems “ over the years. I thought Willard did a great job over time getting him to come around and thought he turned the corner with his maturity and decisions. Too bad. We met Desi a few times and he was always polite and nice with us. Guess I’m not privy to some behind the scenes stuff. Still sad he went out the way he did.

Interesting, I can read between the lines on that and a little surprised and disappointed to hear that. I know Desi had his “problems “ over the years. I thought Willard did a great job over time getting him to come around and thought he turned the corner with his maturity and decisions. Too bad. We met Desi a few times and he was always polite and nice with us. Guess I’m not privy to some behind the scenes stuff. Still sad he went out the way he did.

For whatever reason, Desi went into a funk during the Rutgers game at the RAC which was one of the biggest reasons we lost with the exception possibly of Dino's poor shooting performance.

Yeah it was all about the KC show after Desi went down and Carrington performed like he had in his junior year at the 2-guard.

Now, had Desi fully recovered by the time the Kansas game came around, it’s a different story. But the team played exceptionally well in his absence especially Deeno

Reactions: Abbo71
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT