ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Statement on COVID-19

I guarantee I've been to more Big East Tournaments than you have.

Also, not a drinker.
im talking about the ncaa tournament and how the silver lining is that more people can watch more games if everyone is home from the virus.

and great, youre probably like me who goes to at least 2 a year since 2012 because you live in manhattan and its 10x easier to go to than prudential.

If its truly an airborne disease then our country will truly push the panic button.

If this were an airborne disease why have the medical experts downplayed the benefits of individuals wearing face masks when in public. The medical group I belong to has 1200 medical professionals and a couple of weeks ago I had my annual physical and none of the medical staff or the receptionists checking people in were wearing masks but all of them were wearing gloves.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and Piratz
If this were an airborne disease why have the medical experts downplayed the benefits of individuals wearing face masks when in public. The medical group I belong to has 1200 medical professionals and a couple of weeks ago I had my annual physical and none of the medical staff or the receptionists checking people in were wearing masks but all of them were wearing gloves.

Respirators

• Should I wear a respirator in public?
    • CDC does not recommend the routine use of respirators outside of workplace settings (in the community). Most often, spread of respiratory viruses from person-to-person happens among close contacts (within 6 feet). CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, such as avoiding people who are sick, avoiding touching your eyes or nose, and covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue. People who are sick should stay home and not go into crowded public places or visit people in hospitals. Workers who are sick should follow CDC guidelines and stay home when they are sick.
  • What is a respirator?
    • A respirator is a personal protective device that is worn on the face or head and covers at least the nose and mouth. A respirator is used to reduce the wearer’s risk of inhaling hazardous airborne particles (including infectious agents), gases or vapors. Respirators, including those intended for use in healthcare settings, are certified by the CDC/NIOSH.
  • What is an N95 filtering facepiece respirator (FFR)?
    • An N95 FFR is a type of respirator which removes particles from the air that are breathed through it. These respirators filter out at least 95% of very small (0.3 micron) particles. N95 FFRs are capable of filtering out all types of particles, including bacteria and viruses.
  • What makes N95 respirators different from facemasks (sometimes called a surgical mask)?
    • Infographic: Understanding the difference between surgical masks and N95 respiratorspdf icon
    • N95 respirators reduce the wearer’s exposure to airborne particles, from small particle aerosols to large droplets. N95 respirators are tight-fitting respirators that filter out at least 95% of particles in the air, including large and small particles.
    • Not everyone is able to wear a respirator due to medical conditions that may be made worse when breathing through a respirator. Before using a respirator or getting fit-tested, workers must have a medical evaluation to make sure that they are able to wear a respirator safely.
    • Achieving an adequate seal to the face is essential. United States regulations require that workers undergo an annual fit test and conduct a user seal check each time the respirator is used. Workers must pass a fit test to confirm a proper seal before using a respirator in the workplace.
    • When properly fitted and worn, minimal leakage occurs around edges of the respirator when the user inhales. This means almost all of the air is directed through the filter media.
    • Unlike NIOSH-approved N95s, facemasks are loose-fitting and provide only barrier protection against droplets, including large respiratory particles. No fit testing or seal check is necessary with facemasks. Most facemasks do not effectively filter small particles from the air and do not prevent leakage around the edge of the mask when the user inhales.
    • The role of facemasks is for patient source control, to prevent contamination of the surrounding area when a person coughs or sneezes.  Patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 should wear a facemask until they are isolated in a hospital or at home. The patient does not need to wear a facemask while isolated.
  • What is a Surgical N95 respirator and who needs to wear it?
    • A surgical N95 (also referred as a medical respirator) is recommended only for use by healthcare personnel (HCP) who need protection from both airborne and fluid hazards (e.g., splashes, sprays). These respirators are not used or needed outside of healthcare settings. In times of shortage, only HCP who are working in a sterile field or who may be exposed to high velocity splashes, sprays, or splatters of blood or body fluids should wear these respirators, such as in operative or procedural settings. Most HCP caring for confirmed or suspected COVID-19 patients should not need to use surgical N95 respirators and can use standard N95 respirators.
    • If a surgical N95 is not available for use in operative or procedural settings, then an unvalved N95 respirator may be used with a faceshield to help block high velocity streams of blood and body fluids.

Its strange how theyre actively saying DONT wear a mask. How could it hurt? Especially if theyre saying theres tons of people walking around that have it and dont know...

im guessing they dont want to run out of supply for those who need it? Too late. I dont even think its possible to get an actual effective mask. At least not for under $100. If u know where then please link.

Its strange how theyre actively saying DONT wear a mask. How could it hurt? Especially if theyre saying theres tons of people walking around that have it and dont know...

im guessing they dont want to run out of supply for those who need it? Too late. I dont even think its possible to get an actual effective mask. At least not for under $100. If u know where then please link.
They are ineffective against small viral particles which can go around the edges of the surgical masks. However, they are effective in medical situations for helping to catch the larger particles that infected persons coughing or sneezing may be letting loose. They are needed desperately in those situations, especially for caretaker/patient situations like if a family is affected and must quarantine together and hopefully avoid spreading among themselves. The respirators (N95 - not surgical masks) are needed for medical professionals.

The recommended strategy for stopping the virus's spread is to ensure you practice good hygiene by staying as far as possible from infected or potentially infected persons, not touching your face, washing your hands frequently and after potential contact with infected persons and/or surfaces, and ensuring that if sick you cough or sneeze into a tissue or into your elbow instead of outwardly spraying particles everywhere.

This is the reason - people were buying them all up and creating shortages for where they are most needed

One word: Glutathione. It’s basically the antioxidant for the liver and it’s shown to cease proliferation of the entire family of coronavirus in addition to bolstering your entire immune system. I’ve been taking it on and off for many years whenever flu season is around, when SARS was around, etc.

And the research for its efficacy has already been published.

Reactions: catholicman
Most of these containment and mitigation measures are intended to "flatten the curve" - which means make sure that there isn't a huge spike in infections all at once that overwhelms our hospital systems. The problem in that scenario would obviously be the complete lack of resources to care for people who are seriously ill but have no place to go.

From article on this topic:
In other words, by flattening the curve, countries that already can’t stop the virus can at least slow its spread so that the health care system can adequately take care of people. It’s a somewhat counterintuitive notion — that a longer outbreak can be easier to handle.

“If you think of it from the virus’ perspective, it would like to spread quickly and to as many people as possible, so it wants a rapid outbreak,” said Jodie Dionne-Odom, an assistant professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. “The reason to flatten out the curve is really to give us time to respond to a rapidly worsening outbreak.”

That difference is crucial. In the United States, where lags in testing have already hobbled efforts to contain the virus, measures to help slow its spread will be particularly important in order to avoid a huge swell of new infections that can quickly overwhelm hospitals and resources.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said avoiding sharp spikes in the epidemic curve could reduce the overall number of coronavirus deaths in the country.

“What we need to do is flatten that down,” Fauci said Tuesday during a coronavirus task force briefing at the White House. “You do that by trying to interfere with the natural flow of the outbreak.”

My wife's doctor gave her one on her recent check up.

Unfortunate situation and stinks as a fan. However, I understand they are trying to contain it before it gets worse. We will all be watching on TV. At this point hoping it does not get worse and big dance can be played.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Big government only thing that will slow the spread. Hope we see it
Citizens will have a lot to do with ending this thing by following all the recommendations of the medical people, and staying home if you're sick, but not everyone will do so.There's always some jerks around who will be irresponsible and go around other people even if they know they're sick. Sad

And that is well within your right to choose to be cautious given that fact. You could just as easily just not see them for a few weeks to be sure you don't have it.

I don't believe anything coming from the mainstream media. If we've learned nothing else the past 3+ years is that they will blatantly lie, manipulate or distort the truth and when called out refuse to accept accountability. The hyping of this virus is 100% political. SARS, MERS, Ebola were FAR worse and didn't get a fraction of the media hype.

Here is an example...tell me this isn't political

https://time.com/5779872/coronavirus-ebola-news-coverage/
Wow, just wow. But you believe in Trump, eh?

Citizens will have a lot to do with ending this thing by following all the recommendations of the medical people, and staying home if you're sick, but not everyone will do so.There will always be people with no paid sick leave and with no health insurance who can't afford to stay home from work so they have no choice but to go into work anyway because they have to suffer and risk infecting others just to pay bills and keep a roof over their heads even if they know they're sick. Sad

Fixed that for you.

Those folks are already more vulnerable to the flu, cancer, heart attack, stroke, etc. They could die of many things, that's what happens when you get old unfortunately. Heck, they could die in a car crash on the way to the hospital just as any of us could.

This response by our government is way, way over the top. Do the best you can to stop the spread WITHOUT curtailing daily life, work on a vaccine. In the meantime, it's going to run its course.
Yeah, just let the old farts die off. Natural selection. That’s the ticket. I agree with you often, but we are on different planets regarding this one.

Yeah, just let the old farts die off. Natural selection. That’s the ticket. I agree with you often, but we are on different planets regarding this one.

Don't put words in my mouth, you know better than that.

This is getting way too personal. If it keeps up I'm moving the thread to off the Ship.

With a Rudy Gobert testing positive for coronavirus, dont be surprised that the tournament gets completely canclled if an NCAA player comes down with it. What a horrible situation.

The danger is overrunning hospitals with too many sick people. Hopefully everyone remains healthy and that does not happen with sick folks. The danger is the fact that our hospitals and health care system is set up in such a for-profit way that it is designed to operate just under capacity in a normal situation.

The only thing I can think regarding the tournament is trying to quarantine and/or isolate teams to try to ensure everyone remains healthy and alive.

The danger is overrunning hospitals with too many sick people. Hopefully everyone remains healthy and that does not happen with sick folks. The danger is the fact that our hospitals and health care system is set up in such a for-profit way that it is designed to operate just under capacity in a normal situation.

The only thing I can think regarding the tournament is trying to quarantine and/or isolate teams to try to ensure everyone remains healthy and alive.

You are correct. I work in a hospital and need to plan for my vacation time months in advance for a day off. I get blow back even If i ask weeks in advance.....

Fixed that for you.
That's exactly the way to spread the virus, by infecting others and causing more deaths. There's got to be something to come up with to enable these people to stay home and recover. Our country is very inventive, and creative.
Fixed that for you.
Spreading the virus by going to work and infecting other people, and possibly causing some to die isn't fixing it. Our country has people who are very creative in figuring things out.

I've heard from a source that says the remainder of the tournament will be played with restricted crowds. Meaning probably close family and thats it. I will not name my source.

Edit: seems like a tweet already went out so nevermind

This is why a couple of weeks of downtime may be good. The misperceptions and faux science is out of control.

This likely to settle on between the common cold and influenza when all is said and done, with greatest risks to the same groups influenza kills. The mortality rate will go down significantly as it spreads because that number is currently tied to special conditions that will not be replicated in the US.

That is NOT to say it’s the common flu. It’s not. It’s a different virus, totally respiratory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT