ADVERTISEMENT

No Pirates in the Gavitt Games

Disappointed here as well, though Georgetown-Maryland should be one of the best matchups of college basketball's entire pre-conference schedule. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Maybe the Pirates can shop around for a worthwhile home-and-home with someone?

I assume our schedule is pretty much set as we have about 4 slots for some cupcakes. It's probably better we push it off til next year, because our home and home agreements are expiring and the schedule is going to have a big overhaul with lots of dates to fill.

Georgetown schedule now includes Maryland, Uconn, Wisconsin, and Syracuse (no Kansas next year, but they'll resume the following season). They are also looking to add either Duke or VCU. The Hoyas will certainly be battle-tested headed into the BE part of their schedule.

Gtown @ Maryland
Creighton @ Indiana
Xavier @ Michigan
Penn st @ Depaul
Rutgers @ St Johns
Illinois @ Prov
Iowa @ Marquette
Nebraska @ Nova

Don't like the 5 big east home games & only 3 for the big ten. Nova needed a better opponent. Decent. Could've been a lot better

Gtown @ Maryland
Creighton @ Indiana
Xavier @ Michigan
Penn st @ Depaul
Rutgers @ St Johns
Illinois @ Prov
Iowa @ Marquette
Nebraska @ Nova

Don't like the 5 big east home games & only 3 for the big ten. Nova needed a better opponent. Decent. Could've been a lot better
I have a feeling who will be a road team the following year.

Gtown @ Maryland
Creighton @ Indiana
Xavier @ Michigan
Penn st @ Depaul
Rutgers @ St Johns
Illinois @ Prov
Iowa @ Marquette
Nebraska @ Nova

It's DePaul @ Penn State. it's 4 home and 4 away.

These matchups are pretty boring. Why wouldn't they opt for the natural rivalries based on location?

Butler vs. Indiana
Creighton vs. Nebraska
Marquette vs. Wisconsin
Xavier vs. Ohio St
Depaul vs. Illinois/Northwestern

Those would have been some interesting games.

These matchups are pretty boring. Why wouldn't they opt for the natural rivalries based on location?

Butler vs. Indiana
Creighton vs. Nebraska
Marquette vs. Wisconsin
Xavier vs. Ohio St

Because this tournament ranks pretty low on the importance scale for the Big Ten. The first three match-ups already occur (as does SHU/RU) and it was made pretty clear that this challenge would create games in addition to already scheduled games.

The Big Ten has the Big Ten-ACC Challenge already in place, as well as a bunch of neutral site games against top teams. Ohio St. vs UNC in Chicago, Michigan St. vs. Duke in Indy, Indiana vs. Georgetown at MSG, Indiana vs. Louisville at MSG, and Illinois vs. Villanova at MSG were just some of the non-rivalry, non-tournament neutral games the Big Ten played last season. This Big Ten-Big East challenge isn't a priority for the Big Ten, but I'm still very happy it's being played.

Because this tournament ranks pretty low on the importance scale for the Big Ten. The first three match-ups already occur (as does SHU/RU) and it was made pretty clear that this challenge would create games in addition to already scheduled games.

The Big Ten has the Big Ten-ACC Challenge already in place, as well as a bunch of neutral site games against top teams. Ohio St. vs UNC in Chicago, Michigan St. vs. Duke in Indy, Indiana vs. Georgetown at MSG, Indiana vs. Louisville at MSG, and Illinois vs. Villanova at MSG were just some of the non-rivalry, non-tournament neutral games the Big Ten played last season. This Big Ten-Big East challenge isn't a priority for the Big Ten, but I'm still very happy it's being played.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was unsure if those matchups were regularly scheduled or not. Since these games are already being played, why not market it as part of the Big East-Big Ten Challenge, create some additional buzz around it, and free up another OOC game for the schools to schedule? I understand the opposite perspective, where this assures teams in both conferences of another major conference opponent in their OOC schedule, but thought it would be neat if there were some real rivalry games as a part of the Gavitt Games or whatever it's being called.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Hoyas, Terps to play in series pitting Big Ten vs. Big East teams

• i

Andy Katz, ESPN.com Senior Writer

Georgetown and Maryland will renew a regular-season series with the agreement to play in the inaugural Gavitt Tipoff Games, a scheduling challenge between the Big Ten and Big East to honor the late Big East commissioner Dave Gavitt.

i

Georgetown will renew a local rivalry with Maryland next season. Mitchell Layton/Getty Images

A source confirmed to ESPN that the Hoyas and Terrapins are the only matchup that is guaranteed to be a home-and-home in the series, with the first game at Maryland on a day to be determined between Nov. 17 and Nov. 20. The return game in the fall of 2016 will be at Georgetown's home at the Verizon Center.

The two D.C.-area rivals haven't met in a non-tournament regular-season game since 1993. But the two schools have met in the regular season in a tournament (2008 Orlando Old Spice Classic) and in the postseason, including Maryland beating Georgetown in the 2001 Sweet 16.

ESPN confirmed the other matchups that were first reported by other media outlets: Xavier at Michigan, Creighton at Indiana, Rutgers at St. John's, Illinois at Providence, Nebraska at Villanova, Penn State at DePaul and Iowa at Marquette. All of these games will occur Nov. 17-20.

The only matchup that is confirmed for 2016 as a return is Maryland at Georgetown.

There are already matchups between these conferences that are played on a regular basis -- not part of this challenge -- like DePaul-Northwestern, Creighton-Nebraska, Wisconsin-Marquette, Seton Hall-Rutgers and, on a rotational basis, Indiana-Butler every other year in Indianapolis. Purdue-Butler, like Indiana-Butler, is played on an every other year basis as well.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...vitt-tipoff-games-new-big-ten-big-east-series

Thank you for clearing that up. I was unsure if those matchups were regularly scheduled or not. Since these games are already being played, why not market it as part of the Big East-Big Ten Challenge, create some additional buzz around it, and free up another OOC game for the schools to schedule? I understand the opposite perspective, where this assures teams in both conferences of another major conference opponent in their OOC schedule, but thought it would be neat if there were some real rivalry games as a part of the Gavitt Games or whatever it's being called.
I agree that it would create buzz and think it would legitimize the challenge, but instead we're getting DePaul vs. Penn St. and three premier Big Ten teams skipping it.

As a SHU fan, I'd take the Charleston Classic with next season's field any day over a riveting match-up at Purdue or Minnesota (or hosting either of them on a Thursday in front of 6,000 people).

That is the whole point of this challenge, to get another scheduled game against a "higher conference" team every few years for both the B10 & BE teams. So to include say the SHU-RU game defeats the purpose of this idea, since already scheduled. So next season SHU gets its normal game against RU and then gets a game against say Penn St to replace the home and home with USF.

Reactions: Pirate6711

Butler vs. Indiana
Creighton vs. Nebraska
Marquette vs. Wisconsin
Xavier vs. Ohio St

Because Butler plays Indiana every few years in the Crossroads Classic. Creighton already plays Nebraska every year. Marquette already plays Wisconsin too.

Because Butler plays Indiana every few years in the Crossroads Classic. Creighton already plays Nebraska every year. Marquette already plays Wisconsin too.

I understand that part. My point is, if those games were played as part of the Gavitt Games it would bring more attention to the conference and the challenge itself. What do you think would gain more notoriety, if the Big East went 5-0 in those matchups over the course of a week in the Gavitt Games or if the Big East went 5-0 in those matchups over the course of two months? From a recognition standpoint, I think it would be the former.

To seton1996's point, that I also understand and it makes complete sense. It guarantees the conferences another quality OOC game, which is obviously important. I see both sides of the argument.

Matchups, schedule announced for first annual Big Ten-Big East Gavitt Tipoff Games
Rob Dauster

Apr 22, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT

big-ten-logo.jpg

The Big East and Big Ten made official the schedule for the inaugural Gavitt Tipoff Games.

Here are the eight matchups and the dates that those games will be played:

Tuesday, Nov. 17:

Georgetown at Maryland
Nebraska at Villanova
DePaul at Penn State

Wednesday, Nov. 18:

Illinois at Providence

Thursday, Nov. 19:

Iowa at Marquette
Creighton at Indiana
Rutgers at St. John’s

Friday, Nov. 20:

Xavier at Michigan

Earlier on Wednesday, both Georgetown and Maryland announced that the two D.C. area schools would be renewing a rivalry that hasn’t been a part of either team’s schedule for 35 years. Named in the honor of former Big East commissioner Dave Gavitt, the series is set to be played during the first full week of the college basketball season every year in an effort to help drive interest in the sport earlier in the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT