ADVERTISEMENT

POLL - UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

• Good

Votes: 116 71.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 47 28.8%

• Total voters
To me this is very good. The Big East needs a national imprint beyond just Nova and to date while some conference teams have had good seasons none of them have advanced consistently in the Dance.

Expect Nova and now UConn to do that with hopefully a few other programs to follow.

If there was any doubt about the big east keeping MSG for the BET, that doubt will be gone now, this solidifies it and makes the BET a hot ticket. This will also boost the national image of the conference which hasn’t been very good, no matter how great Villanova has been.

This is a necessary evil for the conference, Give UCONN a large entrance fee and an even larger exit fee if they decide to bolt. The BE is in a position of power of them, use it....

I'm not sure UConn will ever be what it was under Calhoun again, although moving to the Big East will increase the chances of that happening for them.

I think it's a good move for the Big East as a conference and not a great move for Seton Hall individually. However, the conference must negotiate a huge buyout in order to deter them from ever leaving.

I don't see this as a negative for SHU and neither does the schools who vigorously supported the move.

UConn's arrival boosts the image of the league which is a major selling point for Fox' TV coverage. That helps every program in the conference.

Remember when St Peter's was SHU's biggest BB rival? I do and then the Big East was formed. We took our lumps early but eventually with the help of the best programs in the conference and the exposure gotten because of them SHU eventually flourished to the point where we were considered one of the best programs in the country.

We did it once, why not again? It will be difficult but this is a positive not negative step in that direction.

This is great for the league and SHU. There was always going to be an 11th team and no one is more attractive than UConn. It raises the profile of the conference and restores a long time and geographic rival. It ensures one more sellout every season. Imagine how hot BET tickets will be since we already sold out the Garden.

Uconn’s Women’s hoops is a huge plus for recruiting and their Olympic sports are strong.

Since there was going to be an 11th then this is a homerun. Gonzaga simply doesn’t make sense given geography. I hope the reports are accurate.

To me this is very good. The Big East needs a national imprint beyond just Nova and to date while some conference teams have had good seasons none of them have advanced consistently in the Dance.

Expect Nova and now UConn to do that with hopefully a few other programs to follow.
UConn hasn’t even been to the dance! Why so eager to have UConn be the flag bearer for the Big East when Seton Hall should be more than capable? The Big East is a much better conference than where UConn currently wallows in mediocrity.

Also, the Big East has the top conference tournament in the country and sells out MSG. I’m not quite sure what they bring to the table anymore. This is not your father’s UConn!

I’m just not getting why people are so enamored with UConn. Obviously I don’t have a vote in the matter but I just see UConn as a middling team from a mid-major conference. If they are so great then why aren’t they tearing it up in the land of misfit toys? No one in that conference wants to be there, I get that, but why are we handing out life rafts?

Reactions: catholicman
It may not be the UConn Calhoun but if you have any doubt that the Huskies will soon become a national power again see me in a couple of short years.

That and any doubts that this won't improve the national profile of the conference should result in a phone call to Fox who badly wanted this to come about.

I would suggest their expertise in a matter such as this trumps yours.

Conditional "good". I don't want a 12th team, want a 20-game round robin conference schedule.

Reactions: Seton75
Sami, doubt very much team 12 is in the future. And if I'm wrong it won't be for quite some time.

Notre Dame would be my first choice, not UConn. They’re a much bigger brand name. Plus I think they fit the big east and the big east fits them.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
It may not be the UConn Calhoun but if you have any doubt that the Huskies will soon become a national power again see me in a couple of short years.

That and any doubts that this won't improve the national profile of the conference should result in a phone call to Fox who badly wanted this to come about.

I would suggest their expertise in a matter such as this trumps yours.
Duh, I know the expertise at Fox trumps mine. I just don’t get why they feel we need them. The won a national championship after Calhoun left but with Calhoun’s players. They’ve steadily declined since, don’t make post season (even the NIT) and don’t attract fans like they used to as my understanding is that their attendance numbers are way down. They are mid-pack at best inna mid major conference.

Big East without them, on average, sends at least half the conference to the NCAA’s and sells out MSG.

How many TV eyeballs are tuning in for UConn these days?

Obviously they want them for some reason, I’m just trying to figure out that reason.

Duh, I know the expertise at Fox trumps mine. I just don’t get why they feel we need them. The won a national championship after Calhoun left but with Calhoun’s players. They’ve steadily declined since, don’t make post season (even the NIT) and don’t attract fans like they used to as my understanding is that their attendance numbers are way down. They are mid-pack at best inna mid major conference.

Big East without them, on average, sends at least half the conference to the NCAA’s and sells out MSG.

How many TV eyeballs are tuning in for UConn these days?

Obviously they want them for some reason, I’m just trying to figure out that reason.
I would think that obvious.

Do the math. Not only did Fox want them but so did every AD in the conference. I don't think I'm insulting you when I say that their expertise in this matter trumps yours and every other poster's on this board.

This is a win win for everyone involved and that will prove true moving forward.

I would go with Duke but they refused. :)
Lol but Notre Dame athletics fits what we’re doing. Conference realignment is all about football. They can have their football independence with no guarantee of 5 ACC games. ND fan base and national brand recognition are much greater. Unfortunately they’re tied down til 2035 I believe.

Reactions: SPK145
ND is not coming but UConn is by far a better choice for hoops and that is all that matters.

I would think that obvious.

Do the math. Not only did Fox want them but so did every AD in the conference. I don't think I'm insulting you when I say that their expertise in this matter trumps yours and every other poster's on this board.

This is a win win for everyone involved and that will prove true moving forward.
I get that and totally understand that. However you and others keep saying that Fox and the AD’s wanted this, fine, but WHY do they want it? Do they want it just to have it or is there more to it? I’m just trying to see what more there is too it. Maybe if UConn is dropping football/going 1AA I’d be more understanding. I just don’t want to see the Big East used and embarrassed because of football and UConn looking to leave before they even get back thinking there are greener pastures (or football fields) out there.

I hate Uconn but they will add value and hopefully another rivalry for the Hall.

Reactions: garyshu71
I'm not sure UConn will ever be what it was under Calhoun again, although moving to the Big East will increase the chances of that happening for them.

I think it's a good move for the Big East as a conference and not a great move for Seton Hall individually. However, the conference must negotiate a huge buyout in order to deter them from ever leaving.
This

ND is not coming but UConn is by far a better choice for hoops and that is all that matters.
Wrong. All that matters is money. There are a lot more ND fans than UConn fans. More fans, more eyeballs watching, higher ratings, more money.

I get that and totally understand that. However you and others keep saying that Fox and the AD’s wanted this, fine, but WHY do they want it? Do they want it just to have it or is there more to it? I’m just trying to see what more there is too it. Maybe if UConn is dropping football/going 1AA I’d be more understanding. I just don’t want to see the Big East used and embarrassed because of football and UConn looking to leave before they even get back thinking there are greener pastures (or football fields) out there.

Good for the Big East because....

1. UConn will soon be a top 10 team again joining Nova. That will be a major boost for TV viewing (more conference games on national TV). It will also help improve the all important NET and Kenpom ratings of every single league team.

2. Enhance the conference's national profile

3 Enhance the Big East tournament from a hard to get ticket to a must get ticket

4. Improve the women's BB programs immensely. I once asked Tony Bozzella if he would be in favor of the move and he gushed in his response of what it would mean regarding league recruiting.

5. Staying with the recruiting factor. This time for men's BB. UConn will be a major factor in the recruiting wars and it will force every single conference team to up their game or get lost in the shuffle. This is a challenge to be the best you can be. And hopefully our fan base sees that and contributes financially to a point where we are no longer the worst school in the conference in that all important category.

Gotta love the thinking that everyone is just going to step aside and let UConn lead the conference like it’s their birthright. They can’t lead the AAC, they should not be leading the Big East. Seton Hall needs to be the leader, not UConn. Let UConn battle DePaul for the basement.

Wrong. All that matters is money. There are a lot more ND fans than UConn fans. More fans, more eyeballs watching, higher ratings, more money.

If true why did UConn always draw better than ND. UConn with it’s national championships is a blue blood. Why were there very few ND fans in the Garden? ND football is clearly a national brand but not hoops.

If true why did UConn always draw better than ND. UConn with it’s national championships is a blue blood. Why were there very few ND fans in the Garden? ND football is clearly a national brand but not hoops.
It’s not about draw. If it was about draw every game would be 7pm. FOX would not want 8:45 tip off times nor 6:30 if it was about draw. They care about TV ratings that’s where the money is not game attendance.

Reactions: HALL85
Not sure I’d consider UConn a blue blood but the rest is spot on.

Last edited:
  • UConn was nothing before Calhoun and have not been to the tournament since 2012.
  • Football remains a major sticking point unless they drop to a lower tier.
  • They are strong in a number of Olympic sports but I suspect that will decline as the state's budget is in the crapper.
  • They do have a large fan following but the BET is already a sell out.

I see no reason to disturb the ten team round robin.

LOL! UCONN football! They have won like 4 games in the last 3 years against th AAC and a lousy OOC. No Football 5 league wants UCONN. The fact that UCONN has finally accpted that reality has lead directly to this development.

Great move for the conference. If you look at all of the major accomplishments of the BE over the last 5 years they’re almost all Nova’s (NCAA tournament wins, players drafted, high rankings throughout the season, etc.). They’ve carried this conference on the national level.

This was a down year for Nova but they were still the only team to win a game in the tournament and the only team to have a guy get drafted.

Their success has boosted the image of the conference but we can’t be so dependent on them every year. UCONN gives us another national program that I believe will return among the nations best if they move to the Big East.

Another big-time program is exactly what the conference needs.

LOL! UCONN football! They have won like 4 games in the last 3 years against th AAC and a lousy OOC. No Football 5 league wants UCONN. The fact that UCONN has finally accpted that reality has lead directly to this development.
I can understand UConn wanting football and not wanting to drop it altogether. Football does things for a university that other sports, no matter how good they are, just do not do. That said, if they are looking to get back to the Big East they need to go 1AA otherwise I just see them as always looking to leave. We do not need that instability and embarrassment again. Also, if they do come back then seal up the doors and don’t let anyone else in. First, there really isn’t anyone worthy and next, losing the true round robin hurts the balance.

Keep in mind this is not the same Calhoun program. They've taken a nosedive since leaving the conference and Calhoun retiring.

I can understand UConn wanting football and not wanting to drop it altogether. Football does things for a university that other sports, no matter how good they are, just do not do. That said, if they are looking to get back to the Big East they need to go 1AA otherwise I just see them as always looking to leave. We do not need that instability and embarrassment again. Also, if they do come back then seal up the doors and don’t let anyone else in. First, there really isn’t anyone worthy and next, losing the true round robin hurts the balance.
Couldn't they remain independent for football and stay d1? Like Notre Dame.

This. They had grandiose dreams for FB that were never grounded in reality. UCONN is good for the league and SHU for MBB. The BET is now solidified as THE post-season tournament at MSG.

It is amazing what one coach can do to create a national powerhouse and image. You may not like Calhoun but what he did for that school cannot be disputed.

UConn has sucked since the BE broke up.

They better agree to drop their football to D2 or 1AA and they better have to pay a BIG entrance fee and agree to an astronomical exit fee.

They will bolt at first chance.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
For me have them pay a shit ton to each school to come in and massive buyout if they leave.

Hate giving them a legit conference to hang their hat on but I think Hurley will have them back regardless.

My opinion is a little different than most. Good for big East if we have guarantees they won’t bolt or drop football but bad for seton hall.

Some here say it’s good for seton hall and I don’t see it. You have a team in UConn that historically takes top talent from the NY metro area, they are close in geography (our best recent recruit ground) they have a jersey coach who will always try to take area talent in Jersey, right now we are the best metro area team and best by far in big east. If UConn gets more nationally relevant with a move to the big east that would boost their recruiting in the area too.

I like where we are at and UConn disrupts that, they are too close to us. I’d rather add someone outside the tri-state. Right now we are the better basketball program, but if they are added I’m not sure that stays that way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT