ADVERTISEMENT

POLL - UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

• Good

Votes: 116 71.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 47 28.8%

• Total voters
This. They had grandiose dreams for FB that were never grounded in reality. UCONN is good for the league and SHU for MBB. The BET is now solidified as THE post-season tournament at MSG.

It is amazing what one coach can do to create a national powerhouse and image. You may not like Calhoun but what he did for that school cannot be disputed.
I think they still have those dreams and the big east is just a step in that direction. Unfortunately they are the best we can do for renegotiations with FOX when our deal runs out.

My opinion is a little different than most. Good for big East if we have guarantees they won’t bolt or drop football but bad for seton hall.

Some here say it’s good for seton hall and I don’t see it. You have a team in UConn that historically takes top talent from the NY metro area, they are close in geography (our best recent recruit ground) they have a jersey coach who will always try to take area talent in Jersey, right now we are the best metro area team and best by far in big east. If UConn gets more nationally relevant with a move to the big east that would boost their recruiting in the area too.

I like where we are at and UConn disrupts that, they are too close to us. I’d rather add someone outside the tri-state. Right now we are the better basketball program, but if they are added I’m not sure that stays that way.

This! Not good for seton hall. FOX has been pushing us as the top rival for Nova. That means we have gotten more exposure. Bring in UCONN and now that spotlight shifts. Maybe not this year but in the coming years watch.

UConn has sucked since the BE broke up.

They better agree to drop their football to D2 or 1AA and they better have to pay a BIG entrance fee and agree to an astronomical exit fee.

They will bolt at first chance.
I think this is the real issue. It’s not so much whatever positives, real or imagined, that exist with bringing UConn back. The real issue is the negatives, mainly UConn’s desire to be a major player in football, something that does not seem to be in the cards. Who wants someone looking to bolt before they even get back? That would be a major embarrassment for the Big East! We got burned on 1A football before, took teams that never should have been considered for membership let alone actually admitted. Then the whole thing blew up. Do we really want to go through that again!? I don’t! UConn needs to give up football on the 1A level. I understand why they would want to keep the team, the money they’ve invested plus, like I said, football at any level provides many opportunities outside of just sports that other sports just do not. UConn just needs to drop it down to 1AA.

Reactions: shupat08
  • UConn was nothing before Calhoun and have not been to the tournament since 2012.
  • Football remains a major sticking point unless they drop to a lower tier.
  • They are strong in a number of Olympic sports but I suspect that will decline as the state's budget is in the crapper.
  • They do have a large fan following but the BET is already a sell out.
I see no reason to disturb the ten team round robin.

Haven't been to the tourney since 2012? Guess you werent watching when they won the National Championship in 2014...last appearance was 2016

My opinion is a little different than most. Good for big East if we have guarantees they won’t bolt or drop football but bad for seton hall.

Some here say it’s good for seton hall and I don’t see it. You have a team in UConn that historically takes top talent from the NY metro area, they are close in geography (our best recent recruit ground) they have a jersey coach who will always try to take area talent in Jersey, right now we are the best metro area team and best by far in big east. If UConn gets more nationally relevant with a move to the big east that would boost their recruiting in the area too.

I like where we are at and UConn disrupts that, they are too close to us. I’d rather add someone outside the tri-state. Right now we are the better basketball program, but if they are added I’m not sure that stays that way.
Yup

I think this is the real issue. It’s not so much whatever positives, real or imagined, that exist with bringing UConn back. The real issue is the negatives, mainly UConn’s desire to be a major player in football, something that does not seem to be in the cards. Who wants someone looking to bolt before they even get back? That would be a major embarrassment for the Big East! We got burned on 1A football before, took teams that never should have been considered for membership let alone actually admitted. Then the whole thing blew up. Do we really want to go through that again!? I don’t! UConn needs to give up football on the 1A level. I understand why they would want to keep the team, the money they’ve invested plus, like I said, football at any level provides many opportunities outside of just sports that other sports just do not. UConn just needs to drop it down to 1AA.

I think UConn is a temporary answer and I expect them to leave first good opportunity that comes along. I think there are 2 major positives for the big east with this move even though I don't like it.

1. Should UConn have stayed in the AAC, pretty soon people could make the argument the AAC is better than the big east. I think this move secures that won't happen. Houston, Memphis, and UConn would be expected to be a great top 3 in a few years. Throw in Wichita and Cincy that would challenge the big east as currently structured.

2. More importantly everything in college football and basketball is about money. Our contract with FOX was a 10 year contract. We're getting really close to that coming to and end, as we just completed year 6. UConn is another chip at the bargaining table. They will increase our coverage throughout the New England region. Expectations are Hurley will win. Ideally I would have preferred ND to expand our national coverage but this seems to be the best we could do right now.

I still expect them to bolt, but if they can help us get a better contract with FOX the next time around, so be it. Also I think FOX would love showcasing the UConn women's team and stealing them from ESPN. Ideally I think the perfect partner for the big east is ND because of their national brand and no desire to be in a football conference, but for now I am ok with using UConn for negatiations knowing full well they are using the big east for their next chess move.

Reactions: BucBloc
Two schools that it’s a lot worse for than Seton Hall - How about Providence and Temple.

And why is one guy here constantly mentioning Notre Dame? They want absolutely nothing to do with the Big East, and even if they did (which they don’t), they are tied up until 2035.
If Notre Dame cared about the Big East they would have stayed with us after the last conference blow up. They didn’t.

At least we are being projected first in the conference this upcoming season. I dunno about the rest of you guys but I’d rather be in a position of power when they come in than struggling to maintain footing like Providence or SJU.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
And why is one guy here constantly mentioning Notre Dame? They want absolutely nothing to do with the Big East, and even if they did (which they don’t), they are tied up until 2035.
Actually it's been stated many times, if ND knew the Catholic schools would break off the way they did, ND would have stayed. The point was to grow the conference nationally. Pick another school to do that and I'm good with it. I can't think of one, but I'll gladly take any school that does that. As Dan joked, Duke would be the first choice but they declined.

Like RU joining the B1G this move is all about TV ratings and capturing a larger audience. To think otherwise is silly. UConn will bring a New England audience with them. But to get a team with fans all over the country would be ideal.

Last edited:
Good for the Big East:

1) In the big picture it was a huge lifeline to the new BE but FOX is paying a mere pittance in rights fees over their 12-year deal (not 10) and are not doing great with it financially for them. UCONN adds a huge piece to that, I hope there is an opportunity to renegotiate the current contract with the addition of UCONN (I'd be surprised if there isn't) otherwise all current BE members get at least a 10% cut in distributions.

2) Other conferences are going to a 20-game conference schedule meaning less OOC opportunities, don't want to get left behind holding the bag.

3) As Hallgrad80 points out, there should be a decent entrance fee and a HUGE exit fee for UCONN.

4) UCONN should join for everything other than football, what they do with that is up to them.

Seton Hall is positioned now to still do well in BE men's basketball. If this move hurts Seton Hall it will be Seton Hall's fault, put up or shut up. The rest of Seton Hall's athletic teams collectively are already pretty bad.

Seton Hall is positioned now to still do well in BE men's basketball. If this move hurts Seton Hall it will be Seton Hall's fault, put up or shut up. The rest of Seton Hall's athletic teams collectively are already pretty bad.

I actually think the team it will hurt the most is the baseball team. I picture UConn, Creighton, and SJU being top 3 regularly

These recruits haven’t really been choosing g seton hall anyway. We’ve cut out teeth on the guys who fly under the radar.

Reactions: TommyAlly
We were very fortunate that our conference realignment happened to occur at the very moment when Fox was launching their new channel and needed exclusive content. The FS1 deal has been huge for the league's exposure and instrumental in my life as an out of state fan.

Realistically, FS1 would not make that same deal today. But, add UConn and we're back in business.

This is enormous for the growth of the conference and, by that matter, SHU. Those who complain that another school might steal our thunder by being too competitive are thinking small-time.

We were very fortunate that our conference realignment happened to occur at the very moment when Fox was launching their new channel and needed exclusive content. The FS1 deal has been huge for the league's exposure and instrumental in my life as an out of state fan.

Realistically, FS1 would not make that same deal today. But, add UConn and we're back in business.

This is enormous for the growth of the conference and, by that matter, SHU. Those who complain that another school might steal our thunder by being too competitive are thinking small-time.
Sadly there are some here who seem more than happy to have Seton Hall just step aside and let UConn pass right by us and take a seat at the head of the conference right next to Villanova. Effectively pushing us out of the seat we’re sitting in. That thinking is bullshit.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Actually it's been stated many times, if ND knew the Catholic schools would break off the way they did, ND would have stayed. The point was to grow the conference nationally. Pick another school to do that and I'm good with it. I can't think of one, but I'll gladly take any school that does that. As Dan joked, Duke would be the first choice but they declined.

Like RU joining the B1G this move is all about TV ratings and capturing a larger audience. To think otherwise is silly. UConn will bring a New England audience with them. But to get a team with fans all over the country would be ideal.

Notre Dame clearly thought the Big East was beneath them. No football, no Notre Dame. Plus they just think they are better all-around. And to be honest, they are.

As for adding a different school with fans all over the country, good luck with that. Other than the service academies, who are they?

One second round pick, plus continual poor performance in the NCAAs, excepting Villanova. Potentially fix with UConn? Or just wish these small-budget schools can continually pull rabbits out of a hat?

Reactions: its haLL baLL
That’s partially (but not totally) misleading because the Big East has significantly fewer teams than everyone but the Big 12.

Secondly, the 10-team Big East didn’t have many draftable players after losing so many the year before.

At least we are being projected first in the conference this upcoming season. I dunno about the rest of you guys but I’d rather be in a position of power when they come in than struggling to maintain footing like Providence or SJU.
how on earth is PC struggling to maintain footing? Because we had one off year in the last 6 because of no point guard, just opened a second to none practice facility, have a coach that turned down Michigan for a 10 year contract at PC, average 11k for BE games and have young top 50 players all over our current roster? That is simply silly.

This isn’t good for the league. It’s great for the league. There was a real threat the BE would lose MSG within a few years. This will extinguish that. UConn is hated in the NE and hate draws butts to the seats. Their recruiting will correct now that they’re not playing against directional southern football schools. The BE needs another national staple besides Villanova. The return of UConn will assure that. It’s good for all involved. Except maybe Providence. This may hurt their recruiting locally.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
This isn’t good for the league. It’s great for the league. There was a real threat the BE would lose MSG within a few years. This will extinguish that. UConn is hated in the NE and hate draws butts to the seats. Their recruiting will correct now that they’re not playing against directional southern football schools. The BE needs another national staple besides Villanova. The return of UConn will assure that. It’s good for all involved. Except maybe Providence. This may hurt their recruiting locally.
PC has been recruiting all over the eastern seaboard, especially strong in VA and N. Carolina. In the end I welcome this and if we have the kind of stability in the program that I think we have, we will be just fine and adding UConn is a positive, the Dunk rocks when those guys are in town. Now if the other schools just roll over and let UConn take over the conference (not going to happen) then we have a problem.

Reactions: TommyAlly
Notre Dame clearly thought the Big East was beneath them. No football, no Notre Dame. Plus they just think they are better all-around. And to be honest, they are.

As for adding a different school with fans all over the country, good luck with that. Other than the service academies, who are they?
No football, no Notre Dame? Except the 20 years prior. They saw the writing on the wall before the Catholic schools got together and didn’t want to be part of a conference with Houston, Tulane, etc and got out because everyone else was going. The current big east is not beneath them, where the big east was heading was beneath them.

They are the ultimate end game. Everyone is talking about 10-15 years down the line when UConn gets a better deal and exits. At that time our move has to be ND to grow the tv audience nationally. UConn is the short term move, but ND is the long term right move where leaving for football is no where in their plans.

The really big money in college sports today is in football and UConn football is currently in a conference that doesn’t pay out a lot to its members although under a new deal with ESPN each member will get about $7 million a year. That’s really chump change compared to the power five conferences and given the size of the deficits UConn athletics is running up if a better offer comes they’d leave in a minute. Because of that you have to structure any deal to admit UConn with draconian exit penalties but a fair entrance fee.

Reactions: shupat08
Not a huge fan of this personally but smarter people than I am are in favor of it. I think UConn needs the BE more than the BE needs them. They're stuck in a conference that forces them to fly all over the country, their football is pitiful and the athletic department is drowning in debt. They are also the one school that doesn't fit the league profile in a number of ways.

I don't see them dropping to FCS in football though I'd be interested where they'll be able to park a FBS program as a standalone. Because of football I'm on board with a high entrance fee and an astronomical exit fee.

I expect Mens Basketball to be fine either with or without the Big East. Dan Hurley's track record so far speaks for itself and I see no reason to believe he won't succeed at UConn. I suspect this move will help hasten that. Attendance has been down drastically but again, I suspect regular meetings with Villanova, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Georgetown will be more attractive than South Florida, Central Florida and East Carolina. I will be interested to see what happens to the Womens program down the road after Geno rides off into the sunset.

I've also seen reports that the SNY contract was a big issue with ESPN as part of the AAC's new deal. I suspect any agreement with the Big East protects that deal for UConn.

This. And it’s really this simple, too.

The league is better, deeper, and more marketable with a national brand like UConn on board. UConn is also nothing but basketball. They will not be making any moves; they will have no other or better options. This move reflects their apparent realization that their football program is an apocalyptic waste of resources they would be infinitely better without. They have been absolutely hemorrhaging money for years, and with no return. I don’t know what exactly what will come of that program, only that they are not going to let it lead the athletic program around any longer.

This is UConn admitting it’s game over for football as far as they’re concerned, and they won’t be going anywhere, ever.

Reactions: radecicco
Sorry Dan but to respond to your position:

1. UConn will soon be a top 10 team again joining Nova. That will be a major boost for TV viewing (more conference games on national TV). It will also help improve the all important NET and Kenpom ratings of every single league team. So Dan Hurley is the second coming of Clownhoun? Anointing them seems a bit premature.

2. Enhance the conference's national profile - in women's basketball - yahoo!

3 Enhance the Big East tournament from a hard to get ticket to a must get ticket - that's the difference maker in taking UConvicts, assuming they become what they once were.Sad.

4. Improve the women's BB programs immensely. I once asked Tony Bozzella if he would be in favor of the move and he gushed in his response of what it would mean regarding league recruiting. Does Tony think by adding UConvicts it will help his recruiting for a chance to maybe be 2nd in the BE? He's a dreamer.

5. Staying with the recruiting factor. This time for men's BB. UConn will be a major factor in the recruiting wars and it will force every single conference team to up their game or get lost in the shuffle. This is a challenge to be the best you can be. And hopefully our fan base sees that and contributes financially to a point where we are no longer the worst school in the conference in that all important category. Seriously, adding a team that was once good and left the BE is now going to change everyone's recruiting. If so, those coaches should be replaced now.

Last edited:
For those that don't see the potential in UConn post Calhoun....

2019 recruiting rankings (without UConn) being in the Big East

2019 Basketball Team Rankings
UConvicts is miraculously going to change this. If so, sad commentary on all the BE coaching staffs and a ringing endorsement of Danny Hurley. Step aside Jay et all, there's a new sheriff in town.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT