ADVERTISEMENT

POLL - UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

• Good

Votes: 116 71.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 47 28.8%

• Total voters
Wonder what people on this board would think if/when UConn bolts to a F5 conference after the BE throwing them a lifeline...

UConn won 1 game last year with an AAC schedule. Next year they will move DOWN in competition. This is the type of program a Power 5 league will be looking for? Both you and UConn have to face reality: the big-time football dream is over for UConn. It's time for a rebirth of the Yankee Conference.

Reactions: TomD82 and Pirate64
CL 82
This was discussed by me a few weeks ago on this board....but in uconn land the narrative was much different than reality.
In short, the BB school had full legal rights to the BE name because we represented the majority of charter members. We had 2 options, take the now AAC to court which could have lasted a very long time. Or do what was done to take ownership of the conference and the MSG contract in 4 months time.... By offering up the 100 million in credits and exit fees.
Why do you think the AAC was so willing to give up the BE name and MSG?
Because the league was cash poor and wanted to solidify the remaining Big East members by giving them an annuitized payout. Frankly I think you guys got the better of that deal.

It’s a good thing even though it will pain me to see the UConn fans clogging up MSG for the BET again. Do not like their fans.

But, it does give the conference a credible brand name and solidifies the Northeast TV market for Fox (we do need to care how Fox does with this since they’ve been a tremendous partner for the conference).

Now, we’ll see whether or not UConn can return to some semblance of itself pre Big East breakup/turnover.

It’s a good thing even though it will pain me to see the UConn fans clogging up MSG for the BET again. Do not like their fans.

But, it does give the conference a credible brand name and solidifies the Northeast TV market for Fox (we do need to care how Fox does with this since they’ve been a tremendous partner for the conference).

Now, we’ll see whether or not UConn can return to some semblance of itself pre Big East breakup/turnover.
Plus a packed game at the Meadowlands right? For what it's worth, I always had a blast at those games and had good friendly back and forth with the fans around me.

In whatever deal is struck UConn better not get more money then us .
I wouldn't expect that we would. UConn has a shot to make money off of it's Tier 3 rights. SNY paid a million for woman's basketball before ESPN got the American T3 rights. ESPN won't let SNY buy the rights now because it wants them for the ESPN + network. That's what is driving the move to to the Big East from the UConn's side. Getting our T3 games broadcast on SNY let's us keep a high profile in the NY,NJ,CT area.

I have one question that I would like to have answered . Not every member of the BE receives the same amount of money from our deal with Fox. If UConn gets more then us or any of the original members then I would want to know why .

1) FOX money is only 64% of total Big East revenues and will be a lower percentage as each year goes by.

2) Except for the first year of the new BE, the distribution of funds starts out even and is then adjusted each year based on performance. For the year ended 06/30/17, Villanova received the largest share at $4,275,530 and St. John's received the smallest share at $2,869,986.

Some people here are living in 1999 when it comes to UConn ... they aren’t going to pack the Prudential Center anymore. Jim Calhoun isn’t their coach anymore.

They’re still good and they still have fans, but NOT like the old days. Be challenged by UConn, but don’t fear them.

I wouldn't expect that we would. UConn has a shot to make money off of it's Tier 3 rights. SNY paid a million for woman's basketball before ESPN got the American T3 rights. ESPN won't let SNY buy the rights now because it wants them for the ESPN + network. That's what is driving the move to to the Big East from the UConn's side. Getting our T3 games broadcast on SNY let's us keep a high profile in the NY,NJ,CT area.

You will not have any Tier 3 rights if you join the Big East.

Some people here are living in 1999 when it comes to UConn ... they aren’t going to pack the Prudential Center anymore. Jim Calhoun isn’t their coach anymore.

They’re still good and they still have fans, but NOT like the old days. Be challenged by UConn, but don’t fear them.
Actually I'm pretty sure that they will. One of the things that the American lacks are driveable road games (except Temple). UConn fans are starved for them. WE still pack MSG for our games there, including last year over Syracuse in the middle of snow emergency,.

Actually I'm pretty sure that they will. One of the things that the American lacks are driveable road games (except Temple). UConn fans are starved for them. WE still pack MSG for our games there, including last year over Syracuse in the middle of snow emergency,.

That’s the thing... when you can go to MSG, or Providence, or Newark, or Philly, or DC, you’re not going to go to all of them.

Did Uconn fans show up for AAC games in Philly against Temple? Doubt it.

That’s the thing... when you can go to MSG, or Providence, or Newark, or Philly, or DC, you’re not going to go to all of them.
Lol, not so much, but have you ever been to Temple?
MSG we packed both games last year, just like we always do. I don't think I ever missed a UConn game vs. Seton Hall, men's or woman's.

DC is a bit of ride for us, but Georgetown reminds us of the old Big East days, those home games will be packed.

1) FOX money is only 64% of total Big East revenues and will be a lower percentage as each year goes by.

2) Except for the first year of the new BE, the distribution of funds starts out even and is then adjusted each year based on performance. For the year ended 06/30/17, Villanova received the largest share at $4,275,530 and St. John's received the smallest share at $2,869,986.

Thanks for the info Steve , it’s always good to have accurate numbers to better understand the elements that make up the Conference’s revenue stream.

Plus a packed game at the Meadowlands right? For what it's worth, I always had a blast at those games and had good friendly back and forth with the fans around me.
I hope UConvicts enjoys all its games at the Meadowlands.

Reactions: Bluebeard
You’re the only one pushing that BS. What planet do you exist on? Do you chase dogmen in your spare time?
What the hell is your problem? Learn to read and then get back to me. You obviously have a hard on for everything I post, why don’t you just put me on ignore?

No, that's the easy way out. You made an accusation, now man up and tell us who you're talking about.
No, I’m not doing your homework for you. I’ve read the posts, you can also read them, there are two threads. It’s not the majority of people but there are some. Maybe you like the thinking that it’s ok if everyone else is better than us but I don’t.

If you haven't noticed by now, baseball is not a revenue generating sport (profit) and aside from Creighton & SJU, BE baseball is a nice fan sport with no realistic chance of becoming a national Champion. SH couldn't do it with Biggio, Vaughn, Valentin et al. If you're correct, SH's chances in BE baseball just took a huge hit.
Or maybe with better competition, Seton Hall is able to recruit better. The facility upgrades should also help though there is probably more we need to do in that respect.

So UConn fans will pack MSG for the BET? Doesn’t the BE already have the highest average attendance of any major conference come conference tournament time?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I wonder how UCONN gets around this:

The AAC requires 27 months of notice from a school to leave the conference and has a $10 million dollar exit fee.
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen unless they throw wads of money at them that they don’t have! Did you miss the last round of conference realignment?

I have one question that I would like to have answered . Not every member of the BE receives the same amount of money from our deal with Fox. If UConn gets more then us or any of the original members then I would want to know why .
No way in hell should UConn get more than any current Big East school. Give them 20% of whatever the lowest school gets and increase that over 5 years (would love to see 10% of the lowest over 10 years). They need us more than we need them. They need to give us a rights grant for at least 20 years as well.

I wonder how UCONN gets around this:

The AAC requires 27 months of notice from a school to leave the conference and has a $10 million dollar exit fee.

I would expect the AAC to vigorously assert both clauses and demand that UConn comply with both. If the AAC does not then they’re opening the door for other conference members to leave without satisfying these requirements. A very bad precedent for any conference.

Are they dropping down to FCS? That would make this deal a lot more palatable.
So some say. I can believe it. Either way, the BE would, it take them without them dropping to FCS or agreeing to a prohibitive buyout. This league likes stability and security, which is why they agreed to this marriage. If it didn’t work for the league, it would not have happened.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
No, I’m not doing your homework for you. I’ve read the posts, you can also read them, there are two threads. It’s not the majority of people but there are some. Maybe you like the thinking that it’s ok if everyone else is better than us but I don’t.
No guts huh? Not surprising.

Regarding what I like and don't like....I'll stand by what I do for the school and the incredible amount of time I spend on this site for mere pennies on the dollar to enhance all that is Seton Hall.

I have no issue with those that disagree with my or other's opinions, but I have no tolerance for those that respond as you do when those opinions are at odds. Try having an open mind at times and discuss your differences in a civil manner. No one, including you or I is right all the time. I understand that, you have no clue.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen unless they throw wads of money at them that they don’t have! Did you miss the last round of conference realignment?
Uh why? UConn pays the $10M and waits 27 months, unless it reaches an agreement with the American.

So some say. I can believe it. Either way, the BE would, it take them without them dropping to FCS or agreeing to a prohibitive buyout. This league likes stability and security, which is why they agreed to this marriage. If it didn’t work for the league, it would not have happened.
The school already has said it won't do either.

What the hell is your problem? Learn to read and then get back to me. You obviously have a hard on for everything I post, why don’t you just put me on ignore?
My problem is you’re batshit crazy and spew stuff in this board that is not beneficial to the university or team, as much as you might think it is.

Please, please, as Dan says, point out the Seton Hall fans that post regularly on this board and want to sit back and drive to Walsh for NIT home games. You’re ridiculous.

No fan of SHU wants to rollover and let UConn be dominant. No poster here wants us to wade in mediocrity.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
My problem is you’re batshit crazy and spew stuff in this board that is not beneficial to the university or team, as much as you might think it is.

Please, please, as Dan says, point out the Seton Hall fans that post regularly on this board and want to sit back and drive to Walsh for NIT home games. You’re ridiculous.

No fan of SHU wants to rollover and let UConn be dominant. No poster here wants us to wade in mediocrity.
You’re 99% correct. Where I believe you’re incorrect is that I’m not sure all posters here are actually SHU fans. I think we have a couple people who post who hope for mediocrity. There are some who seem happy after our losses for whatever the reason. But I think all SHU fans welcome the challenges of UConn and want to dominate them they way they dominated us.

Last edited:
Providence is struggling to maintain footing? Down last year but before that had a run of NCAA tourney appearances and a BE title. Recruiting very well. And their coach apparently turned down Michigan to stay there. And they just opened a ridiculous basketball facility. They are in the same position as we are with superior funding and support.

At least we are being projected first in the conference this upcoming season. I dunno about the rest of you guys but I’d rather be in a position of power when they come in than struggling to maintain footing like Providence or SJU.

They have several options, wait, pay full exit fee or most likely negotiate an amount that works for all parties, does AAC little to hold UConn hostage if they want to leave.

This is true. The BET has had excellent attendance. But remember a big part of that the last few years is having Georgetown and/or St. John's playing in that Wed game, which gives a huge attendance boost to the overall figures for the tournament.

But will there be more buzz for the BE tourney with UCONN, especially a good UCONN team? No doubt. And having UCONN will further help cement keeping the BET in MSG, where it belongs.

So UConn fans will pack MSG for the BET? Doesn’t the BE already have the highest average attendance of any major conference come conference tournament time?

This is true. The BET has had excellent attendance. But remember a big part of that the last few years is having Georgetown and/or St. John's playing in that Wed game, which gives a huge attendance boost to the overall figures for the tournament.

But will there be more buzz for the BE tourney with UCONN, especially a good UCONN team? No doubt. And having UCONN will further help cement keeping the BET in MSG, where it belongs.
It also adds a game on Wedneday. Will one ticket get you 3 games?

Good question, but frankly I love those games with the right matchups. It is a Wed re-baseball when nothing is going on. I went to the Georgetown/SJU game a few years ago when Mullin and JTIII had words and it was awesome. Had good seats for like $30 in what was a tremendous atmosphere. If there is an additional game Wed that starts 5:00 or so sign me up.

It also adds a game on Wedneday. Will one ticket get you 3 games?

The school already has said it won't do either.
Well, good luck with that. Why keep throwing good money after bad? Then again, you also think you have a more appealing campus than Temple. I’ve spent time on both, and...

UConn really needs this more than the Big East, as glad as I am to see it happen.

Uh why? UConn pays the $10M and waits 27 months, unless it reaches an agreement with the American.
From the early articles it sounds like UConn would be joining a year, not over two years. They are also pretty cash strapped so there does not seem to be a lot of cash to work with to pay to leave early. Will the AAC want to just cut ties or will they want to make it hard for UConn? If the former than great but if it’s the latter UConn is screwed and in for a legal battle. Same thing happened with schools in the last round of conference realignment. It just is what it is...all about the Benjamin’s!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT