ADVERTISEMENT

POLL - UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

• Good

Votes: 116 71.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 47 28.8%

• Total voters
Good for ratings. Good for the BET. Good for other sports in the league.
UConn will end up as a football only member of the MAC which is a good fit for them. The bars around the garden may be the happiest of all.

We'd be throwing them a much-needed life line.
They left for greener pastures once. We did that for ND basketball, and they did the same.
Hiring Hurley was a good move (especially if he does not self implode), but they are anything BUT a national power. Didn't even make the NIT last year.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
They left for greener pastures once. We did that for ND basketball, and they did the same.
Hiring Hurley was a good move (especially if he does not self implode), but they are anything BUT a national power. Didn't even make the NIT last year.

This is shortsighted thinking. They cant recruit the same players because its hard to sell kids in the northeast on playing southern directional football slop like ECU, UCF, Tulsa, Tulane. UConn will probably never be what they are simply because Calhoun is gone but you can bet your ass they will improve rapidly when they can start selling kids on playing Villanova again.

Allowing UConvicts back in is good for only 1 thing: it enhances women's basketball. With all due respect How important is that? They will bolt again at the first opportunity. Hopefully, they'll have to pay a huge entry fee and an even bigger exit fee when they eventually bolt. Sad day for the BE - taking back a traitor whose program is no longer even close to what it used to be. There are a few other basketball only schools that would have done more for the conference than UConvicts.

This is shortsighted thinking. They cant recruit the same players because its hard to sell kids in the northeast on playing southern directional football slop like ECU, UCF, Tulsa, Tulane. UConn will probably never be what they are simply because Calhoun is gone but you can bet your ass they will improve rapidly when they can start selling kids on playing Villanova again.
Wow now recruiting gets a boost if you get a chance to play against The Nova. Delusional.

Allowing UConvicts back in is good for only 1 thing: it enhances women's basketball. With all due respect How important is that? They will bolt again at the first opportunity. Hopefully, they'll have to pay a huge entry fee and an even bigger exit fee when they eventually bolt. Sad day for the BE - taking back a traitor whose program is no longer even close to what it used to be. There are a few other basketball only schools that would have done more for the conference than UConvicts.

Like who? Dayton? StLouis? It’s aboht markets and brand. You’d rather have them than UConn? Stop it. Did it ever occur to you that UConn isn’t “what they were” because they’ve been having to sell northeast kids on playing Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, UCF and ECU?

Wow now recruiting gets a boost if you get a chance to play against The Nova. Delusional.

Weird. It’s almost like being in the same conference again as an old rival who has won 2 championships in the last 4 years might be a boon to recruiting? These young kids UConn are recruiting today look at Villanova as a blue blood whether you like it or not. Moreso than that it’s about not having to play most of your games in the south against directional schools that don’t draw flies to sh*t in basketball.

They will also be adding an outstanding baseball team to our conference.

Reactions: PiratePride
https://nypost.com/2019/06/22/uconn-returning-to-big-east-comes-with-major-question/

UConn returning to Big East comes with major question

By Zach Braziller

uconn-big-east.jpg

UconnIcon Sportswire via Getty Images

The whispers have been there for a while now — that as strong as the new Big East has been, it could use another quality program. UConn, with its dormant football program the reason it remained in the AAC, made perfect sense.

The Huskies are expected to return to the Big East, sources confirmed, as the league’s 11th member. It isn’t expected to happen this year, but it is inevitable now that the deal is close to done between the two sides, with UConn’s athletic programs all joining the Big East except for football, according to multiple sources.

The belief is Connecticut will be part of the league for the 2020-21 season, though it remains uncertain what happens to the football program. The Big East would move to 20 league games, to continue its home-and-home regular season format.

It makes sense for both parties. UConn’s men’s basketball program hasn’t been the same in the seven years without the Big East, replacing local rivals like St. John’s, Seton Hall, Villanova and Georgetown with the likes of Tulane, East Carolina and Memphis.

The Big East declined to comment, sources said the conference has yet to have an official vote of whether to extend an invitation to UConn. If that invite is given, Connecticut’s Board of Trustees would then have to vote to approve the move. But neither is expected to be a problem.

The Big East is coming off a down year, where it had just one player — Villanova’s Eric Paschall — drafted, and adding UConn should only enhance the conference. Under second-year coach Dan Hurley, the Huskies have recruited better, and are bound to return to national relevance. They only add more of the northeast flavor the league has been built on and bring in a big brand that should only help recruiting and the status of the league.

UConn was part of the Big East in basketball since its inception in 1979. Football joined the Big East in 2004. When the league fractured as part of realignment, UConn stayed in the AAC, and after winning the national championship in 2014 in men’s basketball, has reached the NCAA Tournament just once in the past five years. Now it is coming back to the Big East, back to where it became a national powerhouse.

No football, no Notre Dame? Except the 20 years prior. They saw the writing on the wall before the Catholic schools got together and didn’t want to be part of a conference with Houston, Tulane, etc and got out because everyone else was going. The current big east is not beneath them, where the big east was heading was beneath them.

They are the ultimate end game. Everyone is talking about 10-15 years down the line when UConn gets a better deal and exits. At that time our move has to be ND to grow the tv audience nationally. UConn is the short term move, but ND is the long term right move where leaving for football is no where in their plans.

If you think college football nowadays has anything to with 1995 - 2005, I simply don’t know what else to tell you. So yeah, no football, no Notre Dame.

Reactions: SHUSource
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27030819/sources-uconn-expected-rejoin-big-east

Sources: UConn expected to rejoin Big East

2:21 PM ET
  • Jeff Borzello
  • Mark Schlabach

UConn is expected to leave the American Athletic Conference and return to the Big East for basketball and other sports in 2020, sources told ESPN.

Nothing is official at this point, but an announcement could come as early as next week, sources said. The UConn board of trustees has not yet voted on the move, but approval is expected.

The biggest remaining question surrounds what happens with UConn's football team. The Big East does not have football, and it's unlikely UConn would remain in the American with just football, sources told ESPN. Sources said the football program is expected to play in the American in 2019 but could go independent after that or join another conference.

In a statement Saturday, the school said "our responsibility to always be mindful of what is in the best interest of our student athletes, our fans and our future. With that being said, we have been and remain proud members of the American Athletic Conference."

UConn was an original member of the Big East, beginning in 1979, but went to the American during realignment in 2013. The Big East retained original members Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and St. John's, as well as longtime member Villanova. DePaul and Marquette also remained in the Big East, and the league added Butler, Creighton and Xavier.

A possibility for the American in replacing UConn would be to add Army or Air Force as a football-only school, like it currently has with Navy, and then add a successful basketball program.

UConn became one of the best basketball programs in the country during its time in the Big East. The men's program has won four national championships since 1999, the last one coming in 2014 -- in its first season in the American.

The Huskies women's basketball team has been virtually unchallenged in the American, going 102-0 in the regular season and 18-0 in the league tournament in six years. During that stretch, the Huskies have won three NCAA titles (2014, '15, '16) and they went to the Women's Final Four the other three years.

UConn's pending move was first reported by the Digital Sports Desk.

Like who? Dayton? StLouis? It’s aboht markets and brand. You’d rather have them than UConn? Stop it. Did it ever occur to you that UConn isn’t “what they were” because they’ve been having to sell northeast kids on playing Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, UCF and ECU?
I'd rather have them or a coach whose last name is "few" before taking a team that will dump the BE in a heartbeat if asked to join a Power 5 conference, especially one that worships at the feet of The Nova. Oh wait, the only ones that do that are The Nova fans.

Make UConn deposit the exit fee into an escrow account, and keep it there for 10 years. After 10 they get it back. If they bail for the Big 10 or ACC within the first 10 years the Big East gets the full exit fee.

Hurley’s 2019 class is ranked 20ish with 3 northeast players (not including RJ Cole). It might have been more Ollie.

They will also be adding an outstanding baseball team to our conference.
If you haven't noticed by now, baseball is not a revenue generating sport (profit) and aside from Creighton & SJU, BE baseball is a nice fan sport with no realistic chance of becoming a national Champion. SH couldn't do it with Biggio, Vaughn, Valentin et al. If you're correct, SH's chances in BE baseball just took a huge hit.

I'd rather have them or a coach whose last name is "few" before taking a team that will dump the BE in a heartbeat if asked to join a Power 5 conference, especially one that worships at the feet of The Nova. Oh wait, the only ones that do that are The Nova fans.

Gonzaga in the Big “East”. Good grief. They couldn’t be ANY further away in the entire country.

Gonzaga in the Big “East”. Good grief. They couldn’t be ANY further away in the entire country.
If location is important , then lets add Hofstra (NY), Monmouth (NJ) or another school from the Philly 5. Wait, The Nova and its followers would never allow that. Blasphemy

When did Halldan1 start working for the UCONN marketing dept.?
The day you do a fraction of what I do for Seton Hall we'll talk.

My point is one you obviously don't want to take the time to understand. What's good for the conference is good for our school!

Every single person of authority at SHU is on board with this move. So maybe you're the outlier!

Wonder what people on this board would think if/when UConn bolts to a F5 conference after the BE throwing them a lifeline...

THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE. NONE.
THEY BRING VIEWERS AND SEATS ON SEATS. AND THE FOX AND ARENA MONEY THAT GOES WITH IT.
THE ROCK WILL HAVE TO OPEN THE CURTAINS WHEN WE PLAY THEM.
WELCOME BACK UCONN!!!

THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE. NONE.
THEY BRING VIEWERS AND SEATS ON SEATS. AND THE FOX AND ARENA MONEY THAT GOES WITH IT.
THE ROCK WILL HAVE TO OPEN THE CURTAINS WHEN WE PLAY THEM.
WELCOME BACK UCONN!!!

That'd be a neutral site game if we opened the upper deck for UConn.

My opinion is a little different than most. Good for big East if we have guarantees they won’t bolt or drop football but bad for seton hall.

Some here say it’s good for seton hall and I don’t see it. You have a team in UConn that historically takes top talent from the NY metro area, they are close in geography (our best recent recruit ground) they have a jersey coach who will always try to take area talent in Jersey, right now we are the best metro area team and best by far in big east. If UConn gets more nationally relevant with a move to the big east that would boost their recruiting in the area too.

I like where we are at and UConn disrupts that, they are too close to us. I’d rather add someone outside the tri-state. Right now we are the better basketball program, but if they are added I’m not sure that stays that way.
Bingo! UConn will soon dominate the Big East.

I wonder how UCONN gets around this:

The AAC requires 27 months of notice from a school to leave the conference and has a $10 million dollar exit fee.

Reactions: shupat08
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamza...ast-great-for-school-and-league/#30152c6a115e

Jim Boeheim: UConn Returning To Big East 'Great' For School and League

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F10f002b64d5b4b429d370a4ecc360020%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

Connecticut head coach Dan Hurley stands with players during the national anthem before an NCAA college basketball game, Sunday, Dec. 2, 2018, in Hartford, Conn. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

"Well, it's great for the school," Boeheim told me Saturday while recruiting at Blair (N.J.) Academy. "It's a strong league and all their traditional rivals [are in the league]. It's a great move, couldn't be better."

A UConn source confirmed reports that UConn is in discussions with the Big East about a return to the league for basketball and other sports, possibly beginning in 2020-21.

No official invitation has been extended by the Big East, nor has the UConn Board of Directors approved any move.

The Big East had no official comment as of Saturday morning.

UConn coach Dan Hurley, who was also recruiting at Blair, also had no comment.

The UConn women's basketball team has won 18 Big East Tournament titles, and the men's team has won seven, tied with Georgetown for the most ever.

"I think it gives the geographical balance back to what the old Big East was," one Big East men's coach told me. "It also brings back a program that was an original part of the Big East, so you're re-gaining part of what made the Big East great."

Sources said that the league would play a 20-game schedule assuming UConn returns, with each of the league's 11 teams playing one another twice each season.

Villanova has won two of the last four NCAA championships, and has carried the flag for the Big East since the football schools left in 2013.

"Our glory days are here," the Big East coach said.

Still, UConn's return after exile in the American Athletic Conference would restore one of the league's flagship programs. The Huskies regularly draw huge crowds at Madison Square Garden, and the program has produced a slew of NBA players, including Kemba Walker of the Charlotte Hornets.

It will never be the same as the old Big East was, but Boeheim says it will still be a boon for the conference.

"Nothing's the same as it was but it's a really good league," he said.

The really big money in college sports today is in football and UConn football is currently in a conference that doesn’t pay out a lot to its members although under a new deal with ESPN each member will get about $7 million a year. That’s really chump change compared to the power five conferences and given the size of the deficits UConn athletics is running up if a better offer comes they’d leave in a minute. Because of that you have to structure any deal to admit UConn with draconian exit penalties but a fair entrance fee.
"Chump change" is right. The average payout in the B10 and SEC will soon approach $50 million per school.

Sadly there are some here who seem more than happy to have Seton Hall just step aside and let UConn pass right by us and take a seat at the head of the conference right next to Villanova. Effectively pushing us out of the seat we’re sitting in. That thinking is bullshit.
You’re the only one pushing that BS. What planet do you exist on? Do you chase dogmen in your spare time?

Adding UConn would add the one thing the new BE lacked... the villain. We had Gtown in the early years, Cuse and UConn later on. Since the formation of the new BE, we all embrace and cheer for each other for the good of the conference.
Being a large state school, being from Connecticut with their less than nice fan base, they would add the school that would bring a villain back to the BE story.

Reactions: Pirate64
We've got burned before by FB schools. UConn wanted to burn us. Now we are bringing them in from the cold. Think they will be forever grateful to us? I don't.

Um your realize you guys left, not us right? (Yes I'm a UConn fan.)

Last edited:
Bingo! UConn will soon dominate the Big East.
Umm troll, not what I posted, but ok buddy.

To sum up my post...UConn currently is a worse program in a worse conf. And the Hall has done much better without UConn around.

Why help a team that competes in same market with a coach with strong ties to jersey where the Hall is located.

Why open the door to let a crappy team, muddy the waters when recruiting metro area players. This really helps UConn, and somewhat helps conf but if I had a vote, it would be a no.

If I was a UConn it would be a hell yes bc they have been awful the last few years in the AAC.

I have one question that I would like to have answered . Not every member of the BE receives the same amount of money from our deal with Fox. If UConn gets more then us or any of the original members then I would want to know why .

Reactions: Pirate64
CL 82
This was discussed by me a few weeks ago on this board....but in uconn land the narrative was much different than reality.
In short, the BB school had full legal rights to the BE name because we represented the majority of charter members. We had 2 options, take the now AAC to court which could have lasted a very long time. Or do what was done to take ownership of the conference and the MSG contract in 4 months time.... By offering up the 100 million in credits and exit fees.
Why do you think the AAC was so willing to give up the BE name and MSG, they would have been left either way to form their own conference but made the smart move to take the money.

I have one question that I would like to have answered . Not every member of the BE receives the same amount of money from our deal with Fox. If UConn gets more then us or any of the original members then I would want to know why .
Fair question. Until we know what the deal is, it's hard to say who it benefits.

My suspicion is that Big East gets an early new Fox deal that puts more money in everyone's pockets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT