ADVERTISEMENT

POLL - UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

UConn basketball: Good for the Big East or bad

• Good

Votes: 116 71.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 47 28.8%

• Total voters
LOL they won the national championship in 2004, 2011 and 2014! Do you really think they're going to be bottom-feeders forever now because they've had three recent losing seasons? Of COURSE UConn is going to come back to prominence and it's great that it's going to happen in our conference. Sheesh.
It's a given and the conference feels they need those historical performances. Clearly nobody besides Nova could in the current conference make up.

They still have to win first. And again, it’s not like the Hurley’s are some unstoppable force. They have plenty of people who dislike them on the circuit.

To bolster your point about needing to win first, that's exactly the position Georgetown is currently in, with a similarly marquee name as coach and similar past glory in the old Big East. G'town hasn't been cleaning up on the recruiting trail just yet.

Can you be any more off base?

Demographics in the Northeast aren’t getting any better. People are leaving and that’s not going to suddenly change in the next 10 years. And that’s without thinking about cord cutting among those who stay.

No one thinks UConn football is strong enough to bring into their conference. That’s why programs like Clemson and Florida State were adamant about it before... and that was five years ago when UConn football was even better than they are now.

Louisville was mentioned because the quality of their overall athletic program, especially when this realignment stuff went down with Jurich still the king, was a LOT stronger than UConn. Louisville was perceived by the ACC schools as better and stronger.

I never see anything about cord cutting with Fox like with ESPN, Comcast, AT&T Time Warner and now DirectTV. Disney stock took a hit with this and has only come back because of the movie studio and Star Wars. ATT and Comcast have taken big hits.

You make good points on Louisville and I think it had to do with them really being the only games in town. Plus their relationship with Papa Johns, Yum Brands and Yum Center deal.

I guess the Northeasters who don't stay will still need FS1 for UConn games in the BE in addition to NESN while living in ACC country according to his 10 yr demographics.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo

Demographics in the Northeast aren’t getting any better. People are leaving and that’s not going to suddenly change in the next 10 years. And that’s without thinking about cord cutting among those who stay.

No one thinks UConn football is strong enough to bring into their conference. That’s why programs like Clemson and Florida State were adamant about it before... and that was five years ago when UConn football was even better than they are now.

Louisville was mentioned because the quality of their overall athletic program, especially when this realignment stuff went down with Jurich still the king, was a LOT stronger than UConn. Louisville was perceived by the ACC schools as better and stronger.
Louisville is also more southern than UConn could ever hope to be.

Yes, the 2 championship runs by Villanova earning the max credits and the one year when like 7 teams made the NCAA earning a credit all paid out over 6 years. Surprised that the Fox percentage would go down each year so much especially when each credit is only worth like 265k a year and really no team has had a big run except Nova. I guess the conference accrues it the year earned.

I don't think they accrue it, they record it when communicated by the NCAA.

Here are the Big East NCAA revenues by year:

2014 = $10,969,746 (some adjustments from the old Big East)
2015 = $4,185,882
2016 = $6,078,732
2017 = $11,485,239

Well, good luck with that. Why keep throwing good money after bad? Then again, you also think you have a more appealing campus than Temple. I’ve spent time on both, and...

UConn really needs this more than the Big East, as glad as I am to see it happen.
Lol, too funny. It's not even close.

WilburCross101013a083-1024x681.jpg

Reactions: Section112
From the early articles it sounds like UConn would be joining a year, not over two years. They are also pretty cash strapped so there does not seem to be a lot of cash to work with to pay to leave early. Will the AAC want to just cut ties or will they want to make it hard for UConn? If the former than great but if it’s the latter UConn is screwed and in for a legal battle. Same thing happened with schools in the last round of conference realignment. It just is what it is...all about the Benjamin’s!
Unclear what the ACC will do. I suspect it will be like the Catholic 7 exit from the Big East and we'll waive our rights to money due us in exchange for an early exit. UConn is worth a little over $4B overall and has cash and cash equivalents of @$385M so paying the $10M exit fee isn't a issue.

Everyone also said they weren’t discussing conference expansion either yet here we are! Until there’s an official announcement it’s all speculation.
Maybe modify that to read in the near term. It is very possible that UConn ultimately drops FBS football. It just won't happen in the next 5 years.

I don't think they accrue it, they record it when communicated by the NCAA.

Here are the Big East NCAA revenues by year:

2014 = $10,969,746 (some adjustments from the old Big East)
2015 = $4,185,882
2016 = $6,078,732
2017 = $11,485,239

Thanks for copying the 990 numbers. I had to break down and look up them up myself. Communicating revenue and cash is that a new term under the new revenue recognition standard?

Now I know the reason for the snarky posts and don't have to guess.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks for copying the 990 numbers. I had to break down and look up them up myself. Communicating revenue and cash is that a new term under the new revenue recognition standard?

Now I know the reason for the snarky posts and don't have to guess.

Thanks anyway.

Well, under the new and old revenue recognition rules, it's revenue when earned and becomes payable, hence when the NCAA announces payments, even if those payments are after the end of the financial year, it's revenue.

If you are a Trove member, I provide a breakdown and analysis each year of the Big East finances, and some of my analysis has been used by local reporters we all love.

Reactions: Halldan1

I could be a lot more off base. Go check out the interest in RU football in 2001. I was one of 10,000 people watching RU play #1 Miami and Ken Dorsey. Go look at the interest in RU football in 2010. Night and day. All it takes is one good hire. They’re not exactly playing Bama and LSU weekly. It’s all about timing. We got lucky and broke from the big east when FS1 needed programming. RU had great timing as they became decent enough in football where their fan base started to show up when the B1G was serious about getting into the NY marker. To think UConn can’t be good enough to get attention is like thinking Willard wouldn’t succeed here. It takes one really good hire and some patience.

RU had great timing as they became decent enough in football where their fan base started to show up when the B1G was serious about getting into the NY marker.

That had absolutely nothing to do with it. The Big Ten Network's agreements with cable providers is all about potential eyeballs. Rutgers could be ten times worse in football than they already are and they would still be a huge plus for the Big Ten.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
For the most part this thread contains many good points on both sides. Healthy debate sans the name calling and snide remarks is always an enjoyable read.

I have made my opinions clear but must admit the 70-30 split pro UConn surprised me a little. I thought it would be higher. More like min 80-20.

I do know most every media person and administrator at SHU that I have spoken to is strongly in favor of the move as it pertains to the Hall. But clearly the fan base, at least here doesn't share that same conviction.

After reading both sides of the argument I can say I'm not as against it as I was originally but what scares me is letting a State school in with all private schools. Despite being in a deficit and the state being broke they will still have greater access to certain things over the other schools. I know in the grand scheme all the Big East schools need to keep up with the arms race but it just seems a little slippery to me. They need us more than we need them and hopefully the move doesn't change that and keeps them humble. Who knows maybe its just the bad taste most UConn fans leave when you interact with them...

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Dan
From the conversations I’ve had on this subject with several SH fans who didn’t want UConn back their objections fell into two camps . First, they didn’t want a state supported school in what was an all private university conference because they perceive that gives them a major advantage. The other objection was that UConn has a reputation as not running a clean program and is just not trustworthy.

I could be a lot more off base. Go check out the interest in RU football in 2001. I was one of 10,000 people watching RU play #1 Miami and Ken Dorsey. Go look at the interest in RU football in 2010. Night and day. All it takes is one good hire. They’re not exactly playing Bama and LSU weekly. It’s all about timing. We got lucky and broke from the big east when FS1 needed programming. RU had great timing as they became decent enough in football where their fan base started to show up when the B1G was serious about getting into the NY marker. To think UConn can’t be good enough to get attention is like thinking Willard wouldn’t succeed here. It takes one really good hire and some patience.

The difference to me is that the B1G did it to monetize the BTN for all their member schools. They wanted the BTN distributed on all those cable providers in the RU and UM areas and got it. And their conference shares virtually all if not all revenues equally once a full member. All I hear with UConn basketball and the BE is brand and profile stuff. Fox wants it and if they pay I'm for it even though I don't like UConn. And if it does result in even more tangible benefits like increased NCAA credits, BET revenue, etc. the more the better.

If SHU winds up getting less (and we know NCAA basketball credits are not equally shared) or passed by after what UConn has done there will never be more of a case of should have been shy after twice bitten. They tried to leave the old BE, they implored the C7 not to leave while still looking to leave themselves. All is forgiven and it's a fresh start I guess.

Dan
From the conversations I’ve had on this subject with several SH fans who didn’t want UConn back their objections fell into two camps . First, they didn’t want a state supported school in what was an all private university conference because they perceive that gives them a major advantage. The other objection was that UConn has a reputation as not running a clean program and is just not trustworthy.
That second part will be interesting. We all know what Calhoun was.

1. A great coach
2. Dirty as hell

That's part of the argument that Ollie is giving now in defending himself. Calhoun did much worse and was never fired. Whereas he got the boot, without pay no less.

I can't see how UConn avoids penalties from the NCAA moving forward. The key being does Ollie dish dirt to defend himself, or does he tread lightly. This will be interesting moving forward.

The Big East already has problems with Creighton being named in the FBI trials and of course SHU with Whitehead, which doesn't seem to be as severe. At least not as pertains to penalties for the Hall.

Reactions: Piratz
They tried to leave the old BE, they implored the C7 not to leave while still looking to leave themselves. All is forgiven and it's a fresh start I guess.
Not sure why you say all is forgiven. That could not be further from the truth and these negations that have been going on for a while now are doing so with the 10 current schools lending a cautious eye to any final agreement.

In short the benefits to the 10 schools as well as to UConn and Fox align. So the deal will get done. But don't think there aren't bad feeling for what transpired 6 years ago. There are.

If it happens, you're 100% correct. We must make it onerous to the nth degree if they try to anything to hurt the conference. If they thought that they could get what they want later they would stab the conference in the back to get it.

That had absolutely nothing to do with it. The Big Ten Network's agreements with cable providers is all about potential eyeballs. Rutgers could be ten times worse in football than they already are and they would still be a huge plus for the Big Ten.
They absolutely wanted more potential eyeballs but who watched a Rutgers game before 2006? To be fair there were probably more people who watched Penn State football than RU football in NJ. Parterno owned south Jersey recruiting. ABC aired Paterno’s teams a lot in the NY area in the late 80s and 90s.

Not sure why you say all is forgiven. That could not be further from the truth and these negations that have been going on for a while now are doing so with the 10 current schools lending a cautious eye to any final agreement.

In short the benefits to the 10 schools as well as to UConn and Fox align. So the deal will get done. But don't think there aren't bad feeling for what transpired 6 years ago. There are.
I was being facetious with the all is forgiven forgotten. Thanks for the information on it.

Definitely need to be cautious.

They absolutely wanted more potential eyeballs but who watched a Rutgers game before 2006? To be fair there were probably more people who watched Penn State football than RU football in NJ. Parterno owned south Jersey recruiting. ABC aired Paterno’s teams a lot in the NY area in the late 80s and 90s.
Truthfully, I’m sure there are still more people in New Jersey watching Penn State football than Rutgers football. Penn State already delivered the NY/NJ market to the Big 10.

Thank you Loyde. You saved me 30 minutes writing a response.

None of that matters because of the way the Big Ten has structured their carrier agreements.

Not financially because of the way the Big Ten has structured their carrier agreements.

But you know better, let's charge to watch Seton Hall swimming and diving, LOL.
Reread my post, I never said anything about charging for swimming and diving. Also, we need revenue, we need new ideas to increase our finances to help with costs and facilities improvements. I never said I knew better and just offered a suggestion for a potential new revenue stream. Other schools charge for these sports and honestly there is no reason not to charge a nominal fee. Especially with the upgrades to OTC, now would be the perfect time to implement such a plan. What ideas do you have to increase revenue since you think mine are so laughable!?

What ideas do you have to increase revenue since you think mine are so laughable!?

I don't want to increase revenues, I would want to increase gross profits. Start charging for minor sports comes with added expenses. With virtually no attendance now when it's free, that's a recipe for disaster.

Speaking of season tickets, I would love to know where we currently stand with those, especially after Myles announced he was coming back and with all of the excitement and expectations surrounding the team this coming season!
I'm interested to know as well. I recently renewed my ticket.

UCONN at Clemson in football??

C'mon, human sacrifice is still illegal, isn't it?

How would you like to be the UConn head FB coach trying to recruit players when you can’t even tell them what Conference , if any , they’re going to be in and then find out you’re playing Clemson.

Reactions: SPK145
Which is why I don't think they could go independent with football. There is no demand for their football media rights and the costs would be similar to what you described if they were independent for football. They have to be going FCS with a geographic fit.

Perfect fit for the FCs league with Maine, Richmond, JMu etc....

Reactions: SPK145
The day you do a fraction of what I do for Seton Hall we'll talk.

My point is one you obviously don't want to take the time to understand. What's good for the conference is good for our school!

Every single person of authority at SHU is on board with this move. So maybe you're the outlier!

We used to call this a real case of rabbit ears.

How would you like to be the UConn head FB coach trying to recruit players when you can’t even tell them what Conference , if any , they’re going to be in and then find out you’re playing Clemson.

Lol! When it rains it pours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT