ADVERTISEMENT

Porter Moser

I’ll believe it when I see it. Motivation for him would be going home. But leave Oklahoma for DePaul? Yikes. I guess you can argue that teams can be rebuilt quickly thru the portal but lots of instances where that didn’t work out. And do they have NIL $?

Oklahoma was always an odd fit for him. Seemed like a guy who wanted to cash in on Loyola's success and took the best job available at the time. But he's a Chicago guy so now he wants to come home. It makes sense to me, even though it's a big downgrade in the job.

Does DePaul really want a 55 year old coach who hasn’t been much better than mediocre for most of his career and is clearly looking for a comfy landing spot back home? It can’t be worse than status quo, but to me they need someone young and hungry.

Does DePaul really want a 55 year old coach who hasn’t been much better than mediocre for most of his career and is clearly looking for a comfy landing spot back home? It can’t be worse than status quo, but to me they need someone young and hungry.
Will Wade?

Considering Oklahoma will be in the NCAA Tournament I consider the timing of this quite suspicious. Sounds like a negotiating ploy to me.

Oklahoma was always an odd fit for him. Seemed like a guy who wanted to cash in on Loyola's success and took the best job available at the time. But he's a Chicago guy so now he wants to come home. It makes sense to me, even though it's a big downgrade in the job.
But unlike Shaheen and others, he didn't leave Loyola immediately after
its final four run. And I don't get the benefit of not having to compete with football---- a big revenue source---- especially at large state university.

Reactions: TomD82 and shupat08
At this point Big East should give the equivalent of a NYSE delisting notice for trading under $1

Give DePaul 5 years to produce a winning team or they will be removed from the conference for Loyola Chicago

At this point Big East should give the equivalent of a NYSE delisting notice for trading under $1

Give DePaul 5 years to produce a winning team or they will be removed from the conference for Loyola Chicago
I'm not sure DePaul needs to be replaced if the Big East is actually going to make that move (and to be honest I'm not sure I see it happening).

It'd be nice to have the Chicago market but I don't know if they matter any more than DePaul does. Beyond that, it may take them a minute or five to ramp up to be competitive in the Big East.

I'm not sure DePaul needs to be replaced if the Big East is actually going to make that move (and to be honest I'm not sure I see it happening).

It'd be nice to have the Chicago market but I don't know if they matter any more than DePaul does. Beyond that, it may take them a minute or five to ramp up to be competitive in the Big East.
Good point about Chicago as a whole. I’d imagine a halfway decent team within the market would be beneficial. But given the nature of big ten country maybe not.

Would 10 teams be better on the revenue splits for us?

Reactions: Seton75
I don't ever see us booting a conference member; nor could I see Depaul choosing that path. What a death knell to an otherwise proud school and program.
Do we know if Loyola wants in?

Ok - I am picking against Oklahoma whoever they play in NCAA tournament. I might be willing to give +26.

Who knows? Sometimes it's just not the right fit. Shaka Smart at Marquette > Shaka Smart at Texas.
The fit of the school may not be the only fit issue. transitioning to the SEC could be the bigger concern. SEC ball is a different brand of basketball, different level of Football/NIL money. Really takes the Midwest guy out of the Midwest.

Reactions: CL82 and U-Hall
Money talks. Nine other catholic schools depend on the BE.

If we hired some clown and were still as bad in 88 as we were in 82 the fault lies with us.

Last edited:
Good point about Chicago as a whole. I’d imagine a halfway decent team within the market would be beneficial. But given the nature of big ten country maybe not.

Would 10 teams be better on the revenue splits for us?
My guess is the overall revenue package would decrease. Though the per team payout could increase.

You are losing the Chicago market for whatever that's worth plus there will be less inventory (roughly 30 games per year just for Men's Basketball). It basically depends on how those games are valued.

Even if this were a consideration, there are more sports that are part of the equation than just basketball. I really can't see something like this happening anytime soon.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Considering Oklahoma will be in the NCAA Tournament I consider the timing of this quite suspicious. Sounds like a negotiating ploy to me.
They are in but have been trending down lately. If they lose 1st round of big 12 tournament may drop to play in game in Dayton

Who knows? Sometimes it's just not the right fit. Shaka Smart at Marquette > Shaka Smart at Texas.
CL: While we have you here, and in the "who knows" category, was Muhl's decision to leave hers or Geno's? It could have been somewhat mutual, but one side might have been more insistent than the other.

CL: While we have you here, and in the "who knows" category, was Muhl's decision to leave hers or Geno's? It could have been somewhat mutual, but one side might have been more insistent than the other.
Muhl's decision. Geno loves her.

Keep in mind that foreign players can't earn NIL in the US. Minimally Nika can make some significant money playing in Europe. I think she's got a shot of making the WNBA, but it's definitely not a lock.

Speaking of Mühl...

Lengthy article about her in this morning's CT Post. I've become a fan only recently. Think she is a class act for sure. Always thought, though, on a UCONN team her real value was coming off the bench and providing a dynamic spark. Injuries seemed to nix that, and UCONN faithful will remind [me] about her assist numbers.

That's exactly what happened many years ago with a certain SHU coach.

He was telling the truth when he said I never had conversations with 'said' school.

He didn't, but.............

Reactions: Piratz
Lengthy article about her in this morning's CT Post. I've become a fan only recently. Think she is a class act for sure. Always thought, though, on a UCONN team her real value was coming off the bench and providing a dynamic spark. Injuries seemed to nix that, and UCONN faithful will remind [me] about her assist numbers.
Well since you asked....
She is the all-time single-season assist leader:

Season

There are some pretty good names on that list.

Probably before the end of the big east tournament she'll be the all-time cumulative assist leader as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT