ADVERTISEMENT

SHU @ Nebraska - Game Thread

Want to see some fight -- too much one on one but that is to be expected

Shots being forced, selfish play, tons of 1 on 1 ball, no ball movement. Cale and Thompson look LOST. Wish they had more sets being run.
Sets? We are not a very disciplined team -
And fundamentals lacking. Mamu missed all of his foul shots? Geez, I thought he would be one we can count on for at least 70 percent.

Point Guard position is a problem with this team. Powell trying to create his shot because there is no player on the Hall that can create. McKnight is not a starting PG in the Big East. We shall see with Nelson if he develops. Not a lot of bright spots for the Hall except with the exception of Mamu.

He looks like he is continuing to develop.

I do not see any boxing out inside although we have the size , we seem to be standing around waiting for the ball instead of first boxing out then getting the rebound. Not one of our coaches can teach how to rebound.

Reactions: catholicman
Positives and negatives in this game:

Nelson and Rhoden look like they can play
QM looks overmatched
Not worried about TT or Cale as they have both showed they can play at this level though TT very rusty.
Nzie looked good on offense

None if the things I heard about are happening. No fast paced offense (and I guess I could just leave out "fast paced"). None of the players I doubted are surprising me. Shocked at tt game.

Our offense is awful now, but was never good. Willard giving ammo to our favorite chinese general.

None if the things I heard about are happening. No fast paced offense (and I guess I could just leave out "fast paced"). None of the players I doubted are surprising me. Shocked at tt game.

Our offense is awful now, but was never good. Willard giving ammo to our favorite chinese general.
Maybe im just smarter then most

We lost by 20. It wasn't 10 and we fought hard. We lost by 20. Dominated in the 2nd half. If you think you just sweep this under the rug and all is well you're insane. This team has A LOT of work to do.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
If our preseason #8 is losing on the road to the BIG #3 team, the season is over? What does Nova do, not show up as their season MUST be over, using one game to determine the season. You posters are nuts.

Nobody said Nova's season is over, just that they looked awful tonight and might be over-rated. Why do some posters get so puritanical about opinions made in the midst of a sporting event. Lol!

We lost by 20. It wasn't 10 and we fought hard. We lost by 20. Dominated in the 2nd half. If you think you just sweep this under the rug and all is well you're insane. This team has A LOT of work to do.

The concerning thing is how bad Thompson and Cale were. Nelson are Mamu look like they belong.

The concerning thing is how bad Thompson and Cale were. Nelson are Mamu look like they belong.

Definitely, agree on Nelson and Mamu. Other concerns, free throw shooting (same as last year), half-court offense (same as last year).

Nebraska is a tough defensive team. They guarded the perimeter really well and clogged up the middle decently. We do not play well in the half court and should work on that in practice.

Why is Kevin Willard not able to develop plays. Tel me one play we ran in the last 12 min besides the weave and iso.

Reactions: holloway12
Enough of the over reaction. Im usually pessimistic with all my teams but cmon a loss to a future top 25 in a lethal environment and suddenly the world is ending. Its a brand new team and a lot of young guys that havent played in an environment like that. Regroup and win saturday

Shots being forced, selfish play, tons of 1 on 1 ball, no ball movement. Cale and Thompson look LOST. Wish they had more sets being run.
Sets? We have no one who can shoot from the outside and we didn’t share the call very well. Powell is very streaky and we run no offense. I’d get TT away from the 3 point line - and get him going from inside or mid-range. Powell had no assists - Going to be a long season if this is our blueprint for offense.

Why is Kevin Willard not able to develop plays. Tel me one play we ran in the last 12 min besides the weave and iso.
What was Nebraska running, a match-up zone? It seemed they had us smothered everywhere! I wonder if Taurean in the high post would have opened things up.

Reactions: LBP43
No panic. I did not see this coming, as per my prior posts. Nebraska's first W versus a Big East team since....Rutgers like a decade ago. We played way worse than I thought and Nebraska looked better than the team I remembered.

Positives; Mamu. Nzei - give me a few Nzei's on my team any day of the week. Powell - Yes he didn't shoot it well, but he looks great driving the ball and more well-rounded. It makes him even more dangerous. Downside is that if we don't get the TT I thought we were getting, Myles might have to average 30 a game. Nelson looks solid for a freshman but....he's still a freshman.

Negatives: TT. What the hell is going on? I hope it's rust because as we all know sometimes when there is smoke there is fire.

Point Guard play - my biggest concern coming into the year. Nelson cannot do this alone as a freshman. We had 3.....yes count it.....3 freaking assists tonight. Nelson in an ideal world is a backup that gives you solid minutes. Not the guy you count on to run the show.

First real team we've played. 4 new starters. It will take time for the team to gel. I think this team will get better as the season goes on. QM looked bad but then again so did Derrick Gordon and Madison Jones early only to be very good later. TT looked rusty and also looked like he was forcing the game instead of letting the game come to him. Time will tell.

Sets? We have no one who can shoot from the outside and we didn’t share the call very well. Powell is very streaky and we run no offense. I’d get TT away from the 3 point line - and get him going from inside or mid-range. Powell had no assists - Going to be a long season if this is our blueprint for offense.

All we prepared for in the off season was a fast-paced, up and down game. That doesn't work so well against defensive-minded, half court, Midwestern teams.

Looked OK in 1st half and part of 2nd half but ran out of steam against a very good team at home with a tough whistle. Willard on the other hand, still runs no offense sets in the half court. And why no timeout to settle us down when the game started slipping away? Like Nelson, Rhoden, Mamu and of course Nzie and Powell. Cale looked really bad but I think he will be OK. Thompson, I don't even know why they put him back out there......does he think he is a guard? Either they are not coaching him or he is not listening which should mean they pull him quickly. Quincy McKnight just does not look like a point....very out of place there. Lots of work to do here.....never been a big Willard fan so I am not too confident....could be a long season.

Reactions: catholicman
A young team, no true leader- Powell will grow into it, but not there yet- there was no "in-between" tonight- some guys looked good - Powell, Nzei, Mamu and Nelson at times- other guys were COMPLETELY overwhelmed, Quincy, TT, Cale, Gill- so not an optimal result obviously, but the more they play the more they'll gel- and at some point I am guessing Willard will shorten the rotations---

Hard to win any Game shooting 2/16 from 3 ( Powell 1/9 ) and 13/20 from line ( Powell 9/9 ) -- I am disappointed but far from distraught. Doubt Cale; McKnight ; and TT can have nights as bad. With all of that, Game was 2 points with 11 mins to play--Team has to grow up in a number of ways but the Talent is here.

Give Nebraska some credit. Didn’t think they’d see the weave coming...lol.

When you run the same pedestrian stuff (poorly) and/or run nothing at all and simply hope they figure it out...and try to convert 2 guards into PGs...well, let’s just say it’s not the best gameplan I’ve ever seen.

Trying to stay positive ... A good season this year realistically is .500, very good is just above .500. Mamu and Nzei look good. Powell looks good even without 3s dropping. Get a few of the other guys to show up and we’ll have some good games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT