ADVERTISEMENT

SHU @ Nebraska - Game Thread

For me, the upside mamu showed overshadows all the negatives. He played with more physicality than he did all of last year and showed flashes of an offensive game that will bring inside/out value.

TT hasn’t played in an actual basketball game in ONE full year. He still passes the eye test regardless of the rust and poor decision making. Cale was disappointing, but he did not show the ability to create offense for himself nor distribute at all last year. Give him time.

QM did not pass the eye test but Nelson certainly did. Showed he has good court vision and can create in the lane.

Can not be results oriented after what was essentially game 1. You should know better than that.

needed a grad student transfer PG to work with Nelson, who looks promising

Not enough shooters overall and no go to guy on the blocks.

TT really concerns me.
I don't think McKnight is a starting BE PG

With that said, season isn't over, look at Nova tonight.

Don't be surrender monkeys people
Lots of basketball to be played.

Sets? We have no one who can shoot from the outside and we didn’t share the call very well. Powell is very streaky and we run no offense. I’d get TT away from the 3 point line - and get him going from inside or mid-range. Powell had no assists - Going to be a long season if this is our blueprint for offense.

Yes offensive sets. We don't run them. We do a weave, an iso, a double pick play that turns into an iso, and a pick and roll.

Funny that other coaches around the country with similar talent can get their top guys some open looks. Or at least catch a defense off balance with some solid ball movement.

Yeah offensive sets

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Give Nebraska some credit. Didn’t think they’d see the weave coming...lol.

When you run the same pedestrian stuff (poorly) and/or run nothing at all and simply hope they figure it out...and try to convert 2 guards into PGs...well, let’s just say it’s not the best gameplan I’ve ever seen.[/QUOTE"]
You mean your supposed to have a gameplan" said Willard?

Yes offensive sets. We don't run them. We do a weave, an iso, a double pick play that turns into an iso, and a pick and roll.

Funny that other coaches around the country with similar talent can get their top guys some open looks. Or at least catch a defense off balance with some solid ball movement.

Yeah offensive sets
Willard teams have NEVER run them....not gonna change now.

Took a positive from watching the other games. Seton Hall doesn't look like it'll be overmatched like that once league play starts!

Reactions: catholicman
It doesn't get too much easier on Saturday
Saint Louis is very good

At least we have home court and not an away hostile crowd

St. Louis isn’t very good, have struggled against lesser so far this season, expected them to be better.

Seton Hall by 12.

We can all see that last night's game was a schidt-show, but it's also one game. Yes, it's a game that would've been nice to put in our pocket as a likely Q1 game (or whatever that crap is), but we also have to be realistic. We're a team in transition -- a talented one, but one with so many people stepping into new roles. We've also got a lot of kids who will see lots of minutes who have nevertheless not played many yet, kids like Nelson and Rhoden. They look like they belong, but they are also very green. For them to step into that environment last night, against a good, experienced team on the road in a hostile environment, is a tall order.

The guys who have been there - Powell, Mamu, Nzei - looked good. Mamu really showed me something last night. Even when he did not execute, he is playing aggressively. It'll come to him, but I feel good about his step forward this year. Nzei looked comfortable and experienced. Powell didn't shoot like we know he can, but are you honestly worried about him?

Of guys who have played before, but not in a while, Thompson and McKnight were disappointing -- there's no getting around it. But I think you can point to the rust factor and the uncertainly over just where they fit in as contributing elements of that. They both fit, and are both good enough to be important members of the team, but it's clear everyone is still trying to sort everything out. It's unfortunate that we had to see it happen this early in the season in that kind of environment, but if we want to play a tough schedule, that's how it goes, too.

This is a slightly pollyanna tone for me, but I'm trying to take a long view of things and retain perspective. If they can take this experience and grow from it, it won't have been wasted. This game was a likely loss from the time the schedule came out, so it's not like a win was chiseled into granite. It's one to grow on, so hopefully it'll serve them that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT