ADVERTISEMENT

UConn and the Big East

Jerry did a ton of research on this and his sources are top notch. If UConn wants in and gives the league some indication that they'll stay it's a done deal.

Of course there might be a time limit on this but very soon the Huskies are going to have to make a decision on football so I don't think the time limit will come into play.

I'm totally opposed to it . No matter what assurances you get from UConn , no matter how big the buyout if a power 5 conference comes calling UConn will leave. Their ego will never, repeat never , accept that they're not a Power Five Conference school.

Despite what most suggest the BE is not in the drivers seat with respect to adding UConn, Fox Sports is and if you think the penalties for UConn leaving again will be onerous think again. From Fox's and UConn's perspective adding UConn is more important to the BE then the other way around.

Reactions: Fireman131
IF UCONN returns with a fool-proof commitment to stay, it is admitting that its football team is destined for mid level status. What football conference would it join? Villanova's?

No matter what assurances you get from UConn , no matter how big the buyout if a power 5 conference comes calling UConn will leave. Their ego will never, repeat never , accept that they're not a Power Five Conference school.

Despite what most suggest the BE is not in the drivers seat with respect to adding UConn, Fox Sports is and if you think the penalties for UConn leaving again will be onerous think again.

tumblr_nda8fsYNKr1tfg6t4o1_500.gif

The money is just two big to say no if a P5 conference extends an offer. Schools are getting close to $40M a year. It's outrageous.

I also don't think uconn's women team is good for the sport.

There was some articles this summer saying that several teams already gave notice to the AAC of their intention to leave, but they never said which teams. It was speculated that some of those teams were expecting an B12 invite and wanted the ability to get out sooner. But perhaps one of those teams was UConn who would come back to the BE if they weren't selected by the B12. If the BIG12 takes Houston and UC, then there really is no way UConn fans would want to stay. But if the BIG12 doesn't expand, then I think there fans would want to stay and hope for the ACC down the road.
Based on how tight lipped everything was with the C7 and FOX when we broke free, it wouldn't surprise me if this these talks have been going on behind the scene.

Everyone would leave the AAC if they could. It's not a destination place, it's a convenience place for all of them.

I'm totally opposed to it . No matter what assurances you get from UConn , no matter how big the buyout if a power 5 conference comes calling UConn will leave. Their ego will never, repeat never , accept that they're not a Power Five Conference school.

Despite what most suggest the BE is not in the drivers seat with respect to adding UConn, Fox Sports is and if you think the penalties for UConn leaving again will be onerous think again. From Fox's and UConn's perspective adding UConn is more important to the BE then the other way around.
IMO, this is exactly why it is a no brainer for the BE. Cause it is good for business.

Fox made an investment in the league, and having that investment pay off is the best news we can get. We are a new league, nothing is assured, and the college sports landscape changes all the time. Maybe it hurts us some. But the league not succeeding is fatal.

The BE takes them with a large departure fee, vesting over several years, and an increase in Fox payout to the existing schools.

As HallDan says, if the Big 12 doesn't take them, they are facing some big decisions.

IMO, this is exactly why it is a no brainer for the BE. Cause it is good for business.

Fox made an investment in the league, and having that investment pay off is the best news we can get. We are a new league, nothing is assured, and the college sports landscape changes all the time. Maybe it hurts us some. But the league not succeeding is fatal.
This is the whole ball of wax. Keeping FOX happy is most important. Does anyone want to have to go begging back to ESPN at some point? All this high and mighty talk by some here is very risky. Are you really that ready to piss off FOX to prove a point?? Good the people at the top will hear none of that nonsense.

Basically, it would seem to come down to whether two sides want it: Fox (who would no doubt say yes), and UConn. (No matter their ties to the old Big East, reaching out to nine Catholic schools and one private in the Midwest, with that still new 45,000 seat football stadium sitting in East Hartford, would be a really bitter pill to swallow, both on campus and in the state house).

BC? Fredo College? Sure, let's take them back. And then take them fishing out on Lake Tahoe with my good friend Neri.

Uconn never left the Big East. Uconn was looking to bolt after it became apparent the ACC was about to rob the Big East again. At that point, you couldn't blame them or any other school (Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc.) for wanting to jump ship, because that ship was going down. Remember what that conference was going to look like?

BC left in a different, dirty way.

latest

No to both of the traitors. BC & UConvicts made their beds so now they can sleep in them. UConvicts would jump again if the opportunity presented itself so why bother helping their program in the short term. Think about long term when conference faces with their departure AGAIN. Too bad so sad.

This is the whole ball of wax. Keeping FOX happy is most important. Does anyone want to have to go begging back to ESPN at some point? All this high and mighty talk by some here is very risky. Are you really that ready to piss off FOX to prove a point?? Good the people at the top will hear none of that nonsense.
+1. FOX threw us a golden lifeline (and we were incredibly lucky as they were starting up the FSN at the same time), so they drive the bus. UConn is in a horrible negotiating position right now and you would think FOX would want to have them wrapped up for as long as possible, so their incentives should be aligned with the BE in terms of an exit fee. This is one of those additions that does not dilute the value of the league. I hate them too but it's a business guys and this is a good business decision if you negotiate the right deal.

Reactions: Pirate64
I'm glad this is coming around again. All the silly name calling and talking about how UConn are "traitors", is unproductive.

The league should look forward and take advantage of its strategic position. Having UConn join helps lock down the Northeast for the BE, adds two great games to the schedule, restores rivalries, and hopefully means the BE is perennially sending six teams to the dance each year.

If they don't want to join, then they can rot. If they want in, and the contract is sufficiently stable by the conference and Fox's standards, they are a great pick up.

Reactions: garyshu71
The Big East left Uconn, not the other way around. Although surely Uconn would have left if given the opportunity.

With a conference in its infancy, telling Uconn no is cutting off your nose to spite your face. They are the one viable option for the conference that is not ho-hum like so many of the other suggestions thrown around.

This is big business, not a d1ck measuring contest.

This excites me - as it will many a Big East fan. #1 on my future Big East schedule would be this game over all others. A big weekend game at the rock could sell 15,000 tix or more. Our women's team will have to step it up even further, and I think they can.

Reactions: garyshu71
UConn too big and too much money...will hurt rest of conference and the smaller schools...tell them to go away.

UConn brings in many tvs and fans in New England, and a big presence in Boston, including probably more fans in Boston itself than BC does.

Great natural rivalries with Providence, Georgetown, and SJU also help the BE with tv attractions.

Having UCONN in the BE expands the attractiveness and strength of the BE greatly. The result will ultimately be more TV money for each BE school.

Having nationally recognized UConn in the BE hurts SHU recruiting in NJ, but actually expands our visibility with recruits throughout the NE region, and possibly nationally as well.

Reactions: Piratefan2009
This is a tough call but I vote no on UConn given what the facts are today in October 2016. I think their football program would have to disband, drop down a level or join another league before I'd even consider them.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If their presence brings in a new and more lucrative Fox deal, then you have to take them. Not ideal from a competitive standpoint, but college sports is about $$$$$ and not much else.

I said this the last time this subject came up. What's in it for us? None of the football first conferences want UConn as it's looking more and more like the Big 12 will be the latest to say thanks but no thanks. Quite honestly, given UConn's location compared to the rest of the Big 12 they would be crazy to take them.

Seton Hall and St. John's have the New York market covered and Providence takes care of New England so they aren't bringing a new media market. The Big East is the only high major basketball conference so why should we give them a share of our pie? They need us, we don't need them. We've been down this road before, why the hell would we want to go back? If they want in we get to call ALL the shots. They only get a fraction of what the full members get for at least five years, they also drop football to 1AA. The money to get out is astronomical and they give us media right for ten years. If they don't like it what are their choices? They have none!

Remember, if they keep IA football they will always have one eye on the door. None of us should want any part of that. We have ten like-minded schools with the same goal in mind. Why do we want to f that up?

Also, if the Big 12 implodes, which could eventually happen, the other football conferences will be looking to add the likes of Kansas and Oklahoma State before they even think of giving UConn a sniff. The closest conference, the Big Ten, already has a geographically challenged school who contributes nothing in football. Do you think they are looking to add another football charity case? The ACC is a southern conference, do they really want another northeast school? UConn rolled the dice and they lost. Oh well, one less mouth to feed which means more recruits for the rest of us!

What's in it for SHU is more money...pretty simple.
So your eyes willing to sell your soul for a few years while UConn uses us and has one eye on the door and we go through the same old crap one more time? Thanks but no thanks!

Uconn is a national team in hoops like Duke and Gonzaga. They well could end up playing football in the MAC like umass did. That would help the MAC and they would likely go for that with some hoops incentive like ND gives the ACC in football.
Seems like a no brainer to bring them back in the league. Let the office and fox set the terms and you make it excruciatingly painful to leave. You don't think fox wants Nova - Uconn twice a year ? That is as good as Duke- UNC. Think of how hard espn pounds that. It would be fox marquee game of the year. For now!

So your eyes willing to sell your soul for a few years while UConn uses us and has one eye on the door and we go through the same old crap one more time? Thanks but no thanks!
It's about the survival of a bunch of very small schools trying to compete with state supported gigantic schools who don't care about how much money they can spend or lose. It's about keeping the FOX deal alive so we can survive. Why is this so hard for some of you to figure out. There isn't going to be any Big East as we now know it if Fox goes away. They have to stay happy with the deal. Say that to yourself a few times. This isn't about a lot of money for the league members. Please, tell me where do we go and what you think will happen if FOX goes away? Does the A-10 situation look very good? Oh and MSG might like it a lot too during TBET.

Last edited:
Seton Hall and St. John's have the New York market covered

This is laughable on it's face. Everyone at this point has read about the lackluster viewership of the BE and Fox Sports 1. They gave us the deal of a lifetime with that payout (they needed content and we were there for the pickings).

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...hall-villanova-overnights-college-basketball/

This is a good example. The BET championship viewership down 50% over 2011 viewership of the BET championship. It also had less viewership than the MW and A-10 title game (which it went head to head with).

There is no guarantee that after our current contract ends we are going to get as good a deal. It's also weird to just say St. John's and SHU cover the NYC market. I'm not sure by what metric you gather that.

The Big East is the only high major basketball conference so why should we give them a share of our pie?

No one is suggesting this. I'm quite sure the expectation would be that they would be added with additional Fox revenue in the overall deal.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I like the makeup of the Big East as it is right now with a bunch of like minded Catholic Universities. However, if other economics are still favorable to the current schools and if FS believes it is a very good think for their network you have to be open minded about allowing UConn in.

If this does happen, then why not use the opportunity to add one more team to make this round out to 12?

The state house is getting fed up paying $20 million a year to keep the FB program afloat. The Connecticut is in very bad shape financially. But there are some at UCONN who are not ready to give it up. When they are, FOX and the BE will find a way to bring them in to the benefit of everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT