ADVERTISEMENT

UConn and the Big East

Don't think so....unless it happened after the Big10 expanded. They were interested in North Carolina and Virginia. There are always loopholes and incentives. Plus if the funding is there by the television networks you better believe that they will make it work.

I know what you're referring to but the BigTen's interest in UNC was prior to the ACC schools signing the grant of rights.

Before they signed that, UNC could have bounced for the BigTen like Maryland did. But once the ACC announced plans to create the ACC network in 2019 all the schools signed the grant of rights making it financially impossible to leave the conference.

No, the ACC is untouchable now due to the "right of grants" (or whatever it's called). Basically the ACC owns the revenue stream of every ACC school regardless of conference affiliation for the next 20 years or something like that. It's financially not feasible for any ACC school to leave the ACC.

That's why people think the Big12 is in trouble - Members have already stated they will not sign another "right of grants" (or whatever its called) with the Big12. Essentially making every member of the conference free agents.

SOBO 1 is completely correct and it is called a grant of rights clause meaning all revenues including ticket sales for home games. FWIW, Duke's football program has come a long way under David Cutcliff and the new ACC deal guarantees basketball prominent schools in the conference financial viability.

AAC opting to remain as is makes all this moot. UCONN is stuck in its makeshift conference. _NY Times_ believes that UCONN was not close to being admitted as Houston, SMU, and even Navy were ahead of them.

Don't know how many remember, but Blaney's last regular season game---capping off a woeful three-year slwoon at the Hall--- was a road victory at UCONN.

It can't happen. It's impossible. The ACC owns the revenue streams for every team for the next 20 years. Under no circumstance on God's green earth would UNC or any other school in the ACC forfeit hundreds of millions of dollars for the sake of playing a different schedule. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
As the discussion of " Grant of Rights" that is in place in the ACC has developed on this Board I couldn't help but think that it would be the perfect solution to be required of UConn were it to apply for membership in the BE.

As the discussion of " Grant of Rights" that is in place in the ACC has developed on this Board I couldn't help but think that it would be the perfect solution to be required of UConn were it to apply for membership in the BE.

That is the only way. Any other kind of guarantee by UCONN not to leave the Big East would not be worth the paper it was printed on. And as SOBO and I have been posting about the Big 12 future there is no way in hell Texas would grant any of their rights to the conference.

And as SOBO and I have been posting about the Big 12 future there is no way in hell Texas would grant any of their rights to the conference.

I don't even think that is speculation, I'm 99.9% sure Texas (and Oklahoma) already publicly stated they won't sign a grant of rights with the Big12.

I don't even think that is speculation, I'm 99.9% sure Texas (and Oklahoma) already publicly stated they won't sign a grant of rights with the Big12.
They would not extend their grant of rights past the 24-25 season, hence he speculation that they would leave the Big 12. But who really knows about something 8/9 years into the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT