ADVERTISEMENT

UConn and the Big East

I agree that uconn to the acc is still viable, but not because of Notre dame. It's because of the ACC network wanting cable boxes in the tri state area for the 2018 start of the actual TV channel.

But why would they add Uconn? I think the magic number is 16.

From the Hartford Courant:

Choice No. 2 (the less-likely option): UConn can petition to leave the AAC, something that would require a 27-month waiting period and cost a $10 million exit fee. Where would the Huskies go? Well, there is the suggestion the Big East Conference, currently a 10-team non-football league, would take the Huskies back for basketball and other minor sports.

However, Big East commissioner Val Ackerman told The Courant last week that the conference had no plans to expand, despite how the presence of the Huskies stands to make its next television package more lucrative.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-big-12-expansion-uconn-1018-20161017-story.html

From the Hartford Courant:

Choice No. 2 (the less-likely option): UConn can petition to leave the AAC, something that would require a 27-month waiting period and cost a $10 million exit fee. Where would the Huskies go? Well, there is the suggestion the Big East Conference, currently a 10-team non-football league, would take the Huskies back for basketball and other minor sports.

However, Big East commissioner Val Ackerman told The Courant last week that the conference had no plans to expand, despite how the presence of the Huskies stands to make its next television package more lucrative.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-big-12-expansion-uconn-1018-20161017-story.html
If UConn pledges to the Big East and gives guarantees it won't bolt then forget the rhetoric they're in.

Reactions: garyshu71
If UConn pledges to the Big East and gives guarantees it won't bolt then forget the rhetoric they're in.
Yes, Ackerman doesn't want any part of the public conversation. It can only look bad. But she has open arms if UCONN wants back in TBEC. It will be interesting to follow.

I personally doubt that UConn would ever give a guarantee that it won't leave if a power 5 conference offered full membership. It will never earn the money in the BE that it could earn in a power 5 conference and added to the prestige it would gain no way is a guarantee coming.

I personally doubt that UConn would ever give a guarantee that it won't leave if a power 5 conference offered full membership. It will never earn the money in the BE that it could earn in a power 5 conference and added to the prestige it would gain no way is a guarantee coming.
Right, unless they go broke first while they're waiting for Godot.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Then no offer will be made. We're dealing from strength not weakness.

This will only happen on our terms.

Right, unless they go broke first while they're waiting for Godot.
It's a state university the sports programs will always be funded .It may ultimately reduce the number of sports it offers but going broke is not on the table. If you're suggesting that the subsidies may be reduced that I could see.

the conference can only act if they know what Fox Sports is willing to do to enhance the TV situation; correct? I'm sure UConn would want to try to negotiate something on their own with Fox. Don't think UConn is going to come here wanting to play nice with the current member schools. They'll be as self serving as they can be.

the conference can only act if they know what Fox Sports is willing to do to enhance the TV situation; correct? I'm sure UConn would want to try to negotiate something on their own with Fox. Don't think UConn is going to come here wanting to play nice with the current member schools. They'll be as self serving as they can be.
If they didn't try to do what is best for them they should be fired.

Reactions: garyshu71
Again, the Big East is dealing from strength. Connecticut is not going to bully their way into the league.

They'll play nice or they'll play in the AAC.

Well, I'm not a UConn supporter, but don't forget that the Catholic 7 left the Big East. UConn didn't bail out on Seton Hall and friends.

I'm not sure that is an accurate portrayal of how everything went down, but you might be technically right.

UConn would have left any of the Catholic 7 out to die if the B1G or ACC gave them an invite. But ultimately their "Football bretheren" got their invites while UConn got left left in the cold with no date to the prom. Then they decided to do the next best thing to keep their Football dreams live and joined the AAC.

They would have left if they got the right offer. But we did leave when we got the right offer. And I think we paid a bunch of cash in order to do so.

UCONN is an excellent entry into the league. Maybe down the road With the possible breakup of the Big12, Kansas is not given a seat at the Big 4 table because of their football futility. And we extend an invitation to them as well. A 12 team monster BB league as impressive as any and the catholic 7 remain in full control.

They didn't join the AAC. The AAC is the Big East. The same people run it out of the same offices in Providence. The only difference is that UConn, Cinncinati and South Florida don't have the slightest desire to be there.

UConn would never come back to the BE now that the AAC didn't lose any teams, despite how badly some of their basketball fans, players and coaches would love to. Forget the empty conference tournament arena's and the awful teams they have to play. Just the travel for all their teams is probably costs more than the 2M they get from ESPN.
But IMO, I still believe that for a large state university to drop football (or even worse , put it in the MAC) would be a greater embarrassment than to just keep playing in the AAC. They will just have to get more state money and charge more tuition to make up the difference.

Interesting. Perhaps more pressure on UConn.

Benedict talked about UConn doing its best to control its own destiny. There is honesty in that statement. There's also honesty in the statement that the Big East payoffs end with the 2017-2018 fiscal year. UConn got about $10 million last year in AAC payoffs because of the dissolution of the Big East and that number is going to dip big time in two years. That's when panic will set in.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...umn-big-12-expansion-1018-20161017-story.html

Here's how UConn played up their impact on MSG when pitching their case to the Big 12

"Other than its home courts, there is no venue where UConn basketball has played more games than at Madison Square Garden (MSG) in Manhattan," the report said. "The Huskies have won 10 championships at MSG, including the historic 1988 NIT championship and several thrilling Big East Tournament victories. In 2014, UConn's presence in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 round, held at MSG, drove ticket prices through the roof, as an estimated 12,000 UConn fans packed the building for the games."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-big-12-presentation-1019-20161018-story.html

Via the St. John's SB Nation site:

In fact, found in the university’s response to the Big 12 Conference’s due diligence request was a very interesting tidbit.

Officials from the University of Connecticut wrote to the Big 12, “UConn would accept football-only membership, and subsequently would pursue membership in the Big East Conference for other sponsored sports currently competing in the American Athletic Conference (AAC).”

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2016/10/17/13309070/big-east-big-12-uconn-fallout-benefit

UConn would never come back to the BE now that the AAC didn't lose any teams, despite how badly some of their basketball fans, players and coaches would love to. Forget the empty conference tournament arena's and the awful teams they have to play. Just the travel for all their teams is probably costs more than the 2M they get from ESPN.
But IMO, I still believe that for a large state university to drop football (or even worse , put it in the MAC) would be a greater embarrassment than to just keep playing in the AAC. They will just have to get more state money and charge more tuition to make up the difference.
Totally agree with this. I posted earlier that the "best" outcome for the BE would be for Houston and Cincy to get the Big 12 invites. The AAC would have been severely diminished. Now, UCONN has no choice but to stick with the AAC, wait and hope.

UCONN is an excellent entry into the league. Maybe down the road With the possible breakup of the Big12, Kansas is not given a seat at the Big 4 table because of their football futility. And we extend an invitation to them as well. A 12 team monster BB league as impressive as any and the catholic 7 remain in full control.

Big East (west)
Kansas
Xavier
CREIGHTON
Marquette
Butler
DePaul

Big East (East)
UCONN
G'town
NOVA
St Johns
Seton Hall
PROV

Who knows, if Oklahoma and/or Texas bolt the Big 12, its curtains for them.

Kansas is not joining up with a bunch of small Catholic schools from the Northeast and Midwest.

There will be a lot schools squeezed out if the 64 team thing every comes out. That means there's plenty of room for the common leftovers to join forces together.... just like the current Big East schools joined forces in like-minded fashion.

Big East (west)
Kansas
Xavier
CREIGHTON
Marquette
Butler
DePaul

Big East (East)
UCONN
G'town
NOVA
St Johns
Seton Hall
PROV

Who knows, if Oklahoma and/or Texas bolt the Big 12, its curtains for them.

Stop with this. Crazy. Great Basketball league; sure. But this isn't happening.

The point is.., why settle for anything less. The landscape will be changing still.

Stop with this. Crazy. Great Basketball league; sure. But this isn't happening.

Agree that Kansas would not want this, but, if there was a move to P4 16 teams, they'd be in tough country if they didn't get a bid. Things will get interesting if the B12 blows up and the other conferences start to fight like mad dogs for the scraps. Wouldn't be surprised if ACC caves and grabs WVU for their football after accepting Louisville. Big Ten and SEC will fight it out for Texas and Oklahoma (and one might be forced to take OSU with them). Pac12 who knows and they do have four possible bids to open up. I think they would consider inviting BYU honestly, and maybe grab what they can from football country. It would be total pandemonium. I wouldn't be surprised if a few schools left behind aren't in a position to consider their basketball fates.

Agree that Kansas would not want this, but, if there was a move to P4 16 teams, they'd be in tough country if they didn't get a bid. Things will get interesting if the B12 blows up and the other conferences start to fight like mad dogs for the scraps. Wouldn't be surprised if ACC caves and grabs WVU for their football after accepting Louisville. Big Ten and SEC will fight it out for Texas and Oklahoma (and one might be forced to take OSU with them). Pac12 who knows and they do have four possible bids to open up. I think they would consider inviting BYU honestly, and maybe grab what they can from football country. It would be total pandemonium. I wouldn't be surprised if a few schools left behind aren't in a position to consider their basketball fates.

I agree WVU to ACC would then be likely as well. Texas would bring possibly Tech with them wherever they go and OU and OSU go together as well. The Big 12 would be left with Kansas, Kansas St, Baylor, Iowa St and TCU. No big tv contract there. They all would be in the same boat as UCONN is now. Even worse for options.

I agree WVU to ACC would then be likely as well. Texas would bring possibly Tech with them wherever they go and OU and OSU go together as well. The Big 12 would be left with Kansas, Kansas St, Baylor, Iowa St and TCU. No big tv contract there. They all would be in the same boat as UCONN is now. Even worse for options.
And end up a second tier FBS schools aligning with other schools in their geography. Let's face it, if you don't wind up in those big four conferences you will need to keep your costs down (travel).

ever think that if the P4x 16 in football becomes reality, that Duke (and likely Wake) become a potential free agent? better chance of schools like Kansas or Iowa state hanging around in football only than a Duke playing in a half filled 30,000 seat stadium.

And end up a second tier FBS schools aligning with other schools in their geography. Let's face it, if you don't wind up in those big four conferences you will need to keep your costs down (travel).

Which comes back to why I think if that happens, and it's a gigantic IF, than our conference will be sitting pretty and talking to schools who want to be in a premier basketball league with consistent tournament bids while parking their football in another conference to reduce travel costs. I know people are in love with the round robin, but 16 team power conferences are going to be getting 8 bids a piece, and we are going to need to consider expansion to keep up with them.

ever think that if the P4x 16 in football becomes reality, that Duke (and likely Wake) become a potential free agent? better chance of schools like Kansas or Iowa state hanging around in football only than a Duke playing in a half filled 30,000 seat stadium.
No, the ACC is untouchable now due to the "right of grants" (or whatever it's called). Basically the ACC owns the revenue stream of every ACC school regardless of conference affiliation for the next 20 years or something like that. It's financially not feasible for any ACC school to leave the ACC.

That's why people think the Big12 is in trouble - Members have already stated they will not sign another "right of grants" (or whatever its called) with the Big12. Essentially making every member of the conference free agents.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
My feeling is that the ACC will get raided by the SEC and the Big10 for North Carolina, VA Tech, Virginia, FL St. or Louisville. If Notre Dame were to leave independent status things could get interesting. Texas, Ok, Ok St., and maybe West Va (doubt it) or TCU will leave to the PAC12.

*North Carolina and Virginia will go to the big10
*Va tech and Louisville or Florida st. (Doubt it) will go to the sec
*Texas, ok, ok st. and BYU or TCU will go to Pac12
*The rest of the ACC and Big12 will form a 16 team conference (east and west) but some will be left out in the cold and go to the AAC.

You need to read the post above. The ACC lineup is solid for the next 20 years.

Don't think so....unless it happened after the Big10 expanded. They were interested in North Carolina and Virginia. There are always loopholes and incentives. Plus if the funding is there by the television networks you better believe that they will make it work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT