ADVERTISEMENT

Waited three hours for this?

What a joke!

Also, I miss when the MLB regular season was interesting.

Reactions: shu09
What a joke!

Also, I miss when the MLB regular season was interesting.
Well, MLB just like the other sports has done this to themselves with expanded playoffs, relentless “injuries”, pitchers being babied which eliminates the old fashioned pitchers dual, lineups with no diversification, etc etc

Reactions: Piratz and shu09
bring in the robots
Why is this only ever mentioned for MLB? I didn’t hear anybody begging for robot referees after Tyrese Maxey clearly traveled on his 4pt play against the Knicks to literally force an additional playoff game.

Why is this only ever mentioned for MLB? I didn’t hear anybody begging for robot referees after Tyrese Maxey clearly traveled on his 4pt play against the Knicks to literally force an additional playoff game.
As a Knicks fan - yes bring on the robots. My only fear is the players getting hurt running into them

I don’t think any Knicks fans want to make too much noise about the officiating in that series. If they had called it correctly, the Knicks would be booking tee times for this week. At worst — and I mean worst — there’d be a game 7.

Reactions: setoniansource
Well, MLB just like the other sports has done this to themselves with expanded playoffs, relentless “injuries”, pitchers being babied which eliminates the old fashioned pitchers dual, lineups with no diversification, etc etc
Pitchers arent hurt cause they are babyed. They are all hurt cause few humans can throw the ball so fast and not get hurt.

Maddox and glavine would be told to check back when youre hitting 96.

Reactions: williaza01
Pitchers arent hurt cause they are babyed. They are all hurt cause few humans can throw the ball so fast and not get hurt.

Good point 75. Absolutely zero to do “Babying” has everything to do with the games obsession with maximum spin rate..even at the high school level.. max spin rate does result in the best ultimate pitches but is not sustainable whatsoever, the system does not reward length by starter but has little to do with them being babied

bring in the robots
And when they’re here Judge and Altuve will have the same strike zone. One will swinging 8 inches below his knees. The other will be swinging at pitches at his eyes.

Let’s all just admit human error is a part of sports and get over it. In basketball How much traveling doesn’t get called? How many hacks don’t get called? How many 3 second calls are missed? In the NFL there’s holding on almost every play.

There’s 250 pitches in a MLB game. The players don’t read every play right and neither does an umpire. It’s part of the game.

Good point 75. Absolutely zero to do “Babying” has everything to do with the games obsession with maximum spin rate..even at the high school level.. max spin rate does result in the best ultimate pitches but is not sustainable whatsoever, the system does not reward length by starter but has little to do with them being babied
Also might have to do with the fact there was a time lifting weights in baseball was frowned upon. Guys have gotten stronger but also their tendons and ligaments are tighter more ripe for injury on such a violent motion.

Reactions: PF58
As a Knicks fan - yes bring on the robots. My only fear is the players getting hurt running into them
Basketball would cease to exist if robots refereed the game by the rule book. Players today, even professionals have zero idea how to play the game correctly. There’s literally a carry or palm ball every single possession. Games would be 0-0

Reactions: buckfoston824

eh. I don’t agree. Most of the injuries can be traced back to the poor biomechanics when they were young.

Coaches don’t know the need for mobility and connective tissue strength to sustain the force of throwing.

Factor in playing baseball year round and not playing other sports to move in different directions (to give the hard throwing a rest) and you have a recipe for tremendous compression on white/connective tissue. Plus the added poor movement quality and tons of compensations….

Injuries waiting to happen.

Maddux also threw consistently at 92/93 and the radar guns back then were often about 3-4 mph slower than the high tech ones today.

Don’t sell Maddox short. It’s always the change of speeds and movement on the pitch (spin rate is popular now).

A few other things are:

pitchers on average are bigger (not weight - lifting bigger),

They’re on pitch counts so they don’t have to pace themselves for long outings

And diagnosis of injuries are much more rampant and more common. I think tons of pitchers threw injured back then

eh. I don’t agree. Most of the injuries can be traced back to the poor biomechanics when they were young.

Coaches don’t know the need for mobility and connective tissue strength to sustain the force of throwing.

Factor in playing baseball year round and not playing other sports to move in different directions (to give the hard throwing a rest) and you have a recipe for tremendous compression on white/connective tissue. Plus the added poor movement quality and tons of compensations….

Injuries waiting to happen.
Maddux also threw consistently at 92/93 and the radar guns back then were often about 3-4 mph slower than the high tech ones today.

Don’t sell Maddox short. It’s always the change of speeds and movement on the pitch (spin rate is popular now).

A few other things are:

pitchers on average are bigger (not weight - lifting bigger),

They’re on pitch counts so they don’t have to pace themselves for long outings

And diagnosis of injuries are much more rampant and more common. I think tons of pitchers threw injured back then
Again not really any of these and it’s not straight velocity..the entire game is built around spin rate and increasing spin rate…the mechanics “taught” are taught to increase spin rate..the arm can only spin a ball so much for so long before it snaps

Again not really any of these and it’s not straight velocity..the entire game is built around spin rate and increasing spin rate…the mechanics “taught” are taught to increase spin rate..the arm can only spin a ball so much for so long before it snaps
Actually it is this. Trust me. I’ve worked with PT’s and strength and conditioning coaches who directly worked with many MLB pitchers.

Know what I’m talking about

As a matter of fact, when the coaches Ives worked with have evaluated the deliveries of the pitchers even before their injuries come to light they can predict exactly what happens months or longer in advance.

I play golf with a group of guys that includes Jack Fisher who pitched for the Mets and Orioles back in the early 60’s. He was my partner on Friday and he loves to talk about the game. I asked him about pitch count when he played and he laughed. I think he had over 60 complete games and once threw a 13 inning complete game (he lost). He said the biggest reason was that pitchers back then changed speeds and threw to locations as opposed to today when they give max effort on every pitch. They didn’t lift weights, run or do much stretching either. Trainer would give them a rub down when they needed it. As an aside he said Jerry Grote was the best catcher who ever caught him. He might have waved him off on a sign five times over the entire season.

I asked about getting rest in the off season, but he called BS, as he pitched in the winter leagues in Puerto Rico.

BTW, Jack is 85 and still shoots his age on occasion.

Threw out the first ball at Citi Field a few weeks ago, 60 years to the day that he was the starting pitcher on opening day of Shea Stadium.

https://www.lehighvalleynews.com/ea...t-shea-stadium-60-years-later-hes-at-it-again

As a matter of fact, when the coaches Ives worked with have evaluated the deliveries of the pitchers even before their injuries come to light they can predict exactly what happens months or longer in advance.
yea that’s great. Most of that comes from Tom house. Not what I’m saying..all talent evaluators know about a vertical vs horizontal elbow at break out, and throwing across body

That isn’t what I’m saying

And then there’s guys like Mike Mussina who threw with what I’ll call a hitch in his shoulder who pitched 20 years with no major injuries at all.

I mean I could predict deGroms injuries before they happened. I’m not sure it’s mechanics instead of sitting at 101mph.

• Haha
Reactions: HallGuy23
yea that’s great. Most of that comes from Tom house. Not what I’m saying..all talent evaluators know about a vertical vs horizontal elbow at break out, and throwing across body

That isn’t what I’m saying
A little more complicated than just throwing mechanics.

It’s about things like thoracic mobility, scapular mobility, internal hip control on pushing leg, etc.

And that’s only a few

A little more complicated than just throwing mechanics.

It’s about things like thoracic mobility, scapular mobility, internal hip control on pushing leg, etc.

And that’s only a few
You’re missing the point..it’s fine..my dad was a mlb scout for 25 years…my point is spin rate is the current obsession and until that happens or they manipulate rules to force longer starts it won’t change

Nothing in today’s game incentivizes starters to go long. And most instructors won’t change any kind of mechanics of a kid who is already successful and that is 100% not happening at a professional level

The two biggest farces in North American coaching are mlb hitting and pitching coaches

I love the reg season still. Listen to gary keith and ron all summer and watch a ton on mlb, espn, fox.
As a caveat, I am a Dodger fan. The playoffs are where we go to kill an otherwise terrific season lol

You’re missing the point..it’s fine..my dad was a mlb scout for 25 years…my point is spin rate is the current obsession and until that happens or they manipulate rules to force longer starts it won’t change

Nothing in today’s game incentivizes starters to go long. And most instructors won’t change any kind of mechanics of a kid who is already successful and that is 100% not happening at a professional level

The two biggest farces in North American coaching are mlb hitting and pitching coaches
I don’t disagree at all with any of that.

All of what you’re saying isn’t wrong.

But all I’m saying is that a lot of injuries can be mitigated if true proper body control and mobility were taught. No one focuses on any of that—it’s all about the end product.

And yeah—the coaches of these travel and AAU leagues don’t know anything about any of this and they’re not going to ask a kid to change a thing if he’s throwing 97 as a 15 year old.

Reactions: williaza01
I don’t disagree at all with any of that.

All of what you’re saying isn’t wrong.

But all I’m saying is that a lot of injuries can be mitigated if true proper body control and mobility were taught. No one focuses on any of that—it’s all about the end product.

And yeah—the coaches of these travel and AAU leagues don’t know anything about any of this and they’re not going to ask a kid to change a thing if he’s throwing 97 as a 15 year old.
A kid in town broke his arm pitching in a youth league. He was in HS. Heard he had an awesome breaking ball. (Not meant as a pun, that was his rep I am told.) He threw a pitch and broke his arm.

Last edited:
A kid in town broke his arm pitching in a youth league. He was in HS. Herd he had an awesome breaking ball. (Not meant as a pun, that was his rep I am told.) He threw a pitch and broke his arm.
Game has evolved with emphasis on more power. Home run is king so kids lift, juice, develop swings that maximize power. Pitchers need a 95+ fastball or the path to MLB is limited at best. Why are so many players that are physical specimens always sitting with muscle pulls, tears, etc?

lol no they can’t. Knock it off

nba refs anyone? Lol what was worse the kicked ball or the moving screen

NBA confirms key illegal screen call on Pacers' Myles Turner​

NEW YORK -- Indiana Pacers center Myles Turner was correctly called for an illegal screen in the closing seconds of the New York Knicks' controversial 121-117 victory in Game 1, according to the NBA's Last Two Minute Report released Tuesday evening.

With about 15 seconds left and Indiana down 118-117, Pacers guard Tyrese Haliburton dribbled up the floor as Turner set a high screen on New York's Donte DiVincenzo, sending him to the ground. Turner got called for an offensive foul instantly, which prompted the Pacers to challenge the call.

The Pacers were unsuccessful with the challenge, and the league's report stood by that ruling Tuesday.

Still, there were a total of four missed calls in the final two minutes, according to the league's report: Turner should have been whistled for a separate illegal screen on DiVincenzo in the backcourt with about 10 seconds remaining; there was an errant kicked ball violation called on Aaron Nesmith with 53 seconds left; and prior to those, officials missed calling a defensive three seconds violation on Turner with 1:19 left.

After the Game 1 defeat, Turner said, "In my experience in this league, I think it's best when the players decide the outcome of the game," while adding that he looked forward to the release of the Last Two Minute Report.

Following the call on Turner, the Knicks sank three free throws to put the game away. Moments before the call, DiVincenzo put the Knicks up 118-115 with a 28-foot 3-pointer that came on the heels of the critical kicked ball violation whistled against Nesmith -- one that likely would have resulted in an Indiana fast break if not for the errant call.

Crew chief Zach Zarba acknowledged after the game that the kicked ball shouldn't have been called. "Postgame review did show that it hit the defender's hand, which would be legal," he told pool reporter Fred Katz of The Athletic.

The Knicks and the Pacers are set to square off for Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinals at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night.

The NBA and basketball is so egregiously refereed that most people actually don’t even remember the rules. Thats how bad it is, yet they all pick on umpires in baseball trying to decipher a ball moving 85-95 mph while moving in different directions and deciding if it was in a specific area while crossing a zone that’s in a different axis of their line of vision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT