ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Braeden Anderson

I agree with Jim here, he sounds like a very impressive individual. This kid's off the court contribution may be greater than on court. If he is the mystery fifth starter then he will at least be a big body to put next to Delgado and take some pressure off him in the post. Anyway, welcome Braeden, I'm sure you will make the most of your time here.

Scored a total of 17 points all last season? I know he missed the prior year due to a bad accident, but 17 points all season long? at the Fresno State level? Sounds to me like the classic DCAWAC Willard recruit.

DCAWAC = Didn't-Come-Along-With-an-Assistant-Coach

P.S. Sounds like he's a good student with law school plans so I do salute him for that.

Reactions: mga pirate
Scored a total of 17 points all last season? I know he missed the prior year due to a bad accident, but 17 points all season long? at the Fresno State level? Sounds to me like the classic DCAWAC Willard recruit.

DCAWAC = Didn't-Come-Along-With-an-Assistant-Coach

P.S. Sounds like he's a good student with law school plans so I do salute him for that.

He quit mid-season like Sina did.

I admire him seeking a law degree, I just seriously doubt he adds anything to an already very weak frontcourt.

He's already confounded people in the NCAA offices with his awe-inspiring academic performance. Perhaps he'll surprise some of the more mean-spirited posters on this board as well. Some of you folks need to lighten up. We get it, you hate Willard and every move he makes. But how fair is it to condemn a college kid you've never seen play? Calling someone who has been through what Anderson has been through a quitter is absurd. Obviously he has something inside that drives him to excel. Prior to his accident, Bill Self saw enough potential in Anderson to give him a scholarship to one of college basketball's blueblood institutions. So why not put the negativity on hold and give the kid a chance before cruelly writing him off as a "typical Willard" recruit?

That mean no Cobb?

By my count, that's correct. Unless something changes. Otherwise, you're at capacity:

1). Gibbs (SR)
2). Anderson (JR)
3). Ajou (JR)
4). Whitehead (SO)
5). Delgado (SO)
6). Carrington (SO)
7). Rodriguez (SO)
8). Anthony (SO)
9). Sanogo (SO)
10). Nzei (FR)
11). Soffer (FR)
12). Singh (FR)
13). Carter (FR)

He's already confounded people in the NCAA offices with his awe-inspiring academic performance. Perhaps he'll surprise some of the more mean-spirited posters on this board as well. Some of you folks need to lighten up. We get it, you hate Willard and every move he makes. But how fair is it to condemn a college kid you've never seen play? Calling someone who has been through what Anderson has been through a quitter is absurd. Obviously he has something inside that drives him to excel. Prior to his accident, Bill Self saw enough potential in Anderson to give him a scholarship to one of college basketball's blueblood institutions. So why not put the negativity on hold and give the kid a chance before cruelly writing him off as a "typical Willard" recruit?

Well said Jim. BTW, the Trove will be interviewing the young man. I'll post a few tidbits here when the interview is complete.

Isaiah Whitehead @Isaiah_W15 · 21h 21 hours ago

Shoutout To My Boy @kingbraeden For Joining The Pirate Family Looking Forward To Getting On The Court With You Next Year
1f4af.png
1f624.png
1f608.png
1f535.png
#SHBB

I totally support Jim's view.
We can always be supportive of every young man that wears a
Seton Hall jersey. The unhappiness with the coach in my opinion should never be targeted in any
harmful way toward the players.

I totally support Jim's view.
We can always be supportive of every young man that wears a
Seton Hall jersey. The unhappiness with the coach in my opinion should never be targeted in any
harmful way toward the players.

And these comments all come from people who have never seen most of the kids they're commenting on play. Shouldn't that be somewhat of a prerequisite to evaluating a player, let alone criticizing them?

Do not pay attention to these criticizing posters, they are literally just a handful of the Seton Hall fan base.

You can take this as a positive or negative, but it seems to be that Anderson could care less about Willard, winning or losing, and most importantly, whether there's a coaching change after this coming season. He's a great student, and wanted a great law school.

At least we know he won't be gone after we come to our senses & fire our loser/terrible recruiter of a coach next spring.

BobbieSolo You are just assuming that Braeden Anderson does not care about winning. He stated that he wanted to go to a school that had a good basketball team and good law school. He visited Seton Hall and played games with the players so he is aware of the talent on the team. By the way, I noticed that you do not have a gold membership.

Last edited:
Article from 2011 when Anderson committed to KU. Kentucky, Florida and Arizona among others were after him as well so there was obviously some big time potential prior to his accident.

Canadian big man commits to KU

Late bloomer picks Kansas over UK, others
By Gary Bedore

Rivals.com contributed photo

Braeden ANderson, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound power forward, committed to Kansas University on Sunday, April 10, 2011.

Braeden Anderson, a late-blooming basketball prospect from the town of Okotoks, Alberta, Canada, has read what the recruiting analysts think of him.

“Everybody says, ‘His best basketball is ahead of him.’ It’s true,” said Anderson, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound senior power forward out of Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts who has orally committed to play basketball at Kansas University.

The three-star player, who was once committed to DePaul and is currently unranked by Rivals.com, chose the Jayhawks over Kentucky, Arizona, Florida, Missouri and Memphis.

“I came to the States a year after making basketball my No. 1 sport,” said Anderson, who played football — never hockey — as a youth in Okotoks (Pop. 23,104), located 11 miles south of Calgary.

He abandoned dreams of being a pro wide receiver during his sophomore year of high school, concentrating instead on hoops.

“The first time I touched a ball seriously was eighth grade. I have a ton to learn. I’m getting better every day. Now I get to learn under (KU big-man coach) Danny Manning, which will be an honor,” Anderson added.

Anderson, who played ball at Christian Faith Center outside of Raleigh, N.C., his junior year, averaged 20 points and 11 rebounds a game this past season at Wilbraham and Monson.

He withdrew from the prep school last month for undisclosed reasons and is now wrapping up his high school academic work (a final Spanish class) online.

He has been considered one of the hottest available frontcourt prospects leading into the late spring signing period, which begins Wednesday.

“KU hit me first and the hardest,” Anderson said Sunday in a phone conversation. “They did things the right way. I have respect for them for that. They’ve always been there, and they hung around the whole time.

“It’s hard to say no to John Calipari and the (Kentucky) Wildcats,” he added. “Derrick Williams ... he tells me to go to Arizona. It’s tough to say no to Arizona, but this is something I want to do. It’s a gut feeling I have.”

Anderson — he made a campus visit to KU the first week of March — first committed to KU assistant coach Joe Dooley during Dooley’s in-home visit to his home Saturday in Okotoks. Anderson, however, asked Dooley to keep it a secret so he could inform KU coach Bill Self of the decision Sunday morning, which he did.

“Coach (Self) had no idea why I was calling. I said, ‘I’m coming to Kansas,’’’ Anderson said. “He was fired up. He said, ‘It makes my week. It makes my month now.’ This wasn’t really planned, but everything felt right. When coach Dooley showed my parents the (KU highlight) videos, it reminded me of my visit. I mean, I’m fired up. I honestly can’t wait to be part of the family in Lawrence.”

He said he was sold on KU on the visit, but needed to have his parents meet a member of the Jayhawk staff.

“The best thing about my trip was the fieldhouse,” Anderson said, referring to Allen Fieldhouse. “I’m really looking forward to playing in there.”

Of possible immediate playing time, he said: “When I saw the (Morris) twins sign with agents, it was an eye-opener. I’ll let hard work and play do my talking. I’m sure coach Self and his staff will make the decision on my playing time. I want to do what I can to win another championship.”

Anderson’s former AAU coach, former University of San Francisco standout John Hegwood, says the Jayhawks are getting a prize player.

“I’ve been coaching him since seventh, eighth grade. He’s come a long way. He’s a workaholic,” Hegwood said. “He’s a kid who will get after it. He’ll attack the glass on both ends, hit the boards. He’s an outstanding jumper and can run the floor.

“I know they have Danny Manning there. Braeden will benefit a ton from him.”

Anderson sees himself as a “face up 4-man. I can play in the high-low system well. I can pass from the high post. I make the mid-range shot and can step out to three. I am probably similar to Marcus Morris, but a bit more bouncy. It’s a huge facet of my game.”

As far as Anderson the person, “He’s a kid in a man’s body,” Hegwood said. “He is an enthusiastic kid. He asks a lot of questions. He wants to learn. He’s inquisitive.

“I’m really proud of him. I saw a lot in Braeden he didn’t always see in himself. I told him he could play wherever he wanted to if he’d apply himself. He did that. I think he’ll do a great job at Kansas.”

Welcome to the Pirate family! I'm hopeful that he will bring quality minutes to our front court. He's a tough one to gauge with how his career has gone, but I'm hoping for the best. The fact that he can play right away is the biggest plus here.

He's a tough one to gauge with how his career has gone, but I'm hoping for the best.

Absolutely agree. Talking to our Trove writer who is completing his story on Anderson now clearly the young man has a lot of confidence in his ability.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT