ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Braeden Anderson

@GoodmanESPN: Braeden Anderson told ESPN he will transfer to Seton Hall. also granted permission to play basketball and attend law school. So impressive.

Welcome Braeden Anderson to Seton Hall! Looking forward to watching you on the court this year.

Will have an immediate impact. Had some bad luck but his problems are behind him now. Very talented player.

4.0 GPA 6'9. Prior Kansas commit. What the heck...Welcome Aboard Braeden!

From his video, I think he is a skilled 4/5 who can help us. Not saying he is an All American but he is going be more then 5 fouls.

If Gibbs stays , we might have a nice and solid 7-8 man rotation.

Fresno State transfer to enroll at Seton Hall, eligible immediately
Terrence Payne

Apr 24, 2015, 10:39 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpty1ythinjllyjq2zjllzmuzmgrlm2iwyzfiy2u1nduz.jpeg

AP

Fresno State transfer Braeden Anderson has committed to Seton Hall on Friday night, according to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.

The 6-foot-9 Anderson has two years of eligibility left, beginning this upcoming season as he is not required to sit out the 2015-16 season. He was granted his release from the Fresno State program in February so he could focus on getting into law school.

Anderson also drew interest from Alabama, Arizona State, Buffalo, Washington and Washington State.

As a redshirt sophomore, Anderson averaged 1.0 points and 1.8 rebounds in only 10 minutes per game. It was his first year back after missing the entire 2013-14 season due to preseason car accident which left him with a displacement of his C-5 through C-6 vertebrae.

Seton Hall brings back its top two scorers, Sterling Gibbs and Isaiah Whitehead. Anderson joins forwards Myles Carter and Amarveer Singh to surround Big East Rookie of the Year Angel Delgado on the interior.

Braeden Anderson to Seton Hall
April 24th, 2015 10:26 pm

Braeden Anderson,
a 6-foot-9 forward from Fresno State, will transfer to Seton Hall and attend law school there, according to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman.

He has two years of eligibility remaining after being released from Fresno State in February.

“I’m looking for a place that has a good law school and basketball program,” Anderson told NorthPoleHoops.com before choosing Seton Hall. “I’m excited for a new opportunity.”

Anderson played in 17 games this past season, including seven starts, and scored 17 total points. He redshirted the 2013-14 season after breaking his neck in a preseason car accident.

A native of Alberta, Canada, he chose Fresno State out of Wilbraham & Monson after he was declared a partial qualifier at Kansas in the fall of 2011.

Anderson joins 6-9 Chicago St. Rita forward Myles Carter and 6-7 Thurgood Marshall wing Veer Singh in Seton Hall’s incoming class.

Follow Adam Zagoria on Twitter

Welcome Braeden .Looking forward to your next two years at Seton Hall.

http://www.jockington.com/braeden-anderson-medically-cleared-serious-neck-injury/

doing a quick google search of his injury from the car accident, it looks like a pretty significant fracture and not just a hairline fracture in his neck. Just based on the size of the scar, he probably had multiple fractures in his lower cervical and upper thoracic spine and had some of them fused.
He was cleared for full contact last year, but still, the injury and surgery leaves you at less than 100%. Between the scar tissue and lack of mobility of those vertebra, just running and jumping can exacerbate the symptoms even thought the neck is technically stable and safe to participate in sports.

If we get the player that is in the youtube video, which is from the 2012-2013 season then I think it's a ok pickup. Just from looking at his 14-15 stats it looks like the injury definitely affected his game. Hopefully, he is willing to put in the time and effort to get back to that level 4pts 3.5 rebs per 17.5 minutes per game his 1st year of college ball.

But overall it's very underwhelming pick up, I see anderson focusing on his law studies not putting in the time to improve his game and get himself back to where he was. Good for him, just maybe not great for the on-court production of our team.

Reactions: SHUMike
I had the same thoughts as HallBall as to how someone could manage going to Law School and playing college BB considering the time demands both endeavors require. This would be especially true when you add in the continued work he has to do as a result of the injury he suffered in his car accident. That concern is not an issue of someone's imagination but a realistic one.

Last edited:
Some young people are just incredibly motivated. Going to law school while playing college basketball is indeed a tall order, but there are people who have the dedication and drive to get it done. Such a person can only be a positive influence on any team, especially a young one like Seton Hall. Anderson seems like a possible contender for Big East Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

I had the same thoughts as Boston Blackie as to how someone could manage going to Law School and playing college BB considering the time demands both endeavors require. This would be especially true when you add in the continued work he has to do as a result of the injury he suffered in his car accident. That concern is not an issue of someone's imagination but a realistic one.

So he actually has completed his undergrad and will be starting law school in the spring and still has two years of eligibility ?

The guy who doesn't donate to Pirate Blue and who doesn't purchase season tickets is the biggest complainer. To his posts I say yawn.

Remarkable accomplishment. A cerebral student-athlete. What's not to like? He'll have his nose in the books on road trips while his teammates are lost in their headphones. Perhaps his good influence will rub off on some of them.

I'm confused. He was to be a partial qualifier and was not admitted to Kansas, but graduated in 3 years? I sure am missing something.

OK, so this one HAS to be drinking buddy's new starting five, right? Can you confirm, drinking buddy?

Assuming it is, just goes to show the lead time that goes into these things, how far in advance of announcements agreements are made, etc. DB said Kevin told him we'd have a new starting three in Singh and five in a mystery player weeks (months?) ago, before either declare for the Hall. Pretty interesting to an outsider like me. Also interesting to me he'd just drop that kind of info on some random at a bar, but that's probably just par for the course with recruiting stuff, too (is it?). Regardless, welcome, Braeden! Hope it's a good two years.

Congratulations and good luck to Anderson.

He quit the Fresno State team mid-season to focus on academics. So now he's going to play at SHU and attend law school?

I hope he will be smart enough to take the fewest number of credits required by the school and the NCAA. I believe SHU Law has a part-time program.

As for basketball, all I can say is that the more rebounding and defense you have from the bigs, the more opportunity there is for the offense to score points.

www.fresnobee.com/2015/02/04/4364329_fresno-state-mens-basketball-forward.html?rh=1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT