ADVERTISEMENT

‘Gaslighting, retaliation and intimidation’ forced me to leave Seton Hall, former president says

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

There is always something
Way it goes there for some reason. Sometimes navigating smaller organizations is much harder than larger bc it’s a lot of personal relationships, overlapping roles, etc. IDK

But the stuff about the wife on top of it, SMDH.

Reactions: TomD82
Meanwhile, Marino is representing that Rutgers player who is saying the NCAA.

Wheeeeee

Wonder if Nyre is getting his legal advice from Myles Powell?

Over the years SHU appears to get an above average share of bad publicity .Wonder if it's the NJ water or air?

Good news is BB recruits don't care about this stuff.

Not good for us nor him. Hopeful the current Chair handles things better.

Anyone have a cliff notes version? Not interested in signing up for NJ.com's services.

Trying to wrap my head around the Seton Hall law investigation. How is it that a million dollars gets misappropriated and nobody sees a court date over it? Stringing news articles together, interesting timing that a million dollar endowment gets donated and established by Kevin Marino in the same year as that investigation was publicized. I particularly enjoy the photo with his good friend, the former Dean, who Nyre accused of interfering with said investigation.

Seems like it all got washed away behind a closed door and with the opening of someone's checkbook.

Last edited:
Maybe we don‘t need to prioritize lay candidates in the next hiring cycle afterall.

"But in a stunning lawsuit filed late Monday night, Nyre took aim at the private Catholic university in South Orange and its Board of Regents, claiming retaliation, misconduct, as well as sexual harassment of his wife, for his early exit."

Yes because this doesn't seem like an institutional problem at a catholic institution. This seems like a problem caused by Nyre?

Victim blaming is always a good road to take, just ask the..... catholic church.

Last edited:
Trying to wrap my head around the Seton Hall law investigation. How is it that a million dollars gets misappropriated and nobody sees a court date over it? Stringing news articles together, interesting timing that a million dollar endowment gets donated and established by Kevin Marino in the same year as that investigation was publicized. I particularly enjoy the photo with his good friend, the former Dean, who Nyre accused of interfering with said investigation.

Seems like it all got washed away behind a closed door and with the opening of someone's checkbook.
Terrible optics.

A fine line between relationships and cronyism. A line that has been tough for SHU in the past, I know. I don’t know the facts here but it looks awful.

Terrible optics.

A fine line between relationships and cronyism. A line that has been tough for SHU in the past, I know. I don’t know the facts here but it looks awful.

Exactly. I'm not trying to caste aspersions at anyone, but the optics of this are terrible. Not good when a regular guy is able to string some really bad optics together in about 30 seconds of googling. In the best case scenario, Nyre is flat out lying. I'd still be embarassed that members of our leadership put themselves and the University in a position to even be questioned like this. That said, I don't think he's lying. And as is usual, the straw that probably broke this camel's back was someone in a position of power choosing to be punitive. Would not be surprised if the rent on his home was in fact increased substantially and without notification as a retaliatory measure by someone, and also would not be surprised if Nyre felt attacked and had enough.

None of this sits right with me.

Nyre made a lot of people uncomfortable with his claims. The embezzlement was real, and the fact that it’s still outstanding feels like someone is being protected. This happens more than you think. People in power sometimes feel they can get away with anything.

Reactions: Piratz and TomD82
Just read the lawsuit

It airs out just about all of the school’s laundry and cites things from Brennan to Cardinal McCarrick to the embezzlement

Beyond embarrassing

Reactions: LBP43 and TomD82
Nyre made a lot of people uncomfortable with his claims. The embezzlement was real, and the fact that it’s still outstanding feels like someone is being protected. This happens more than you think. People in power sometimes feel they can get away with anything.
Wasn't it stretched out over many years, a proportionately small amount each year but a lot over many years, with more than one doing it? Statute of limitations might be involved with much of the stolen $$$.

Agree completely. And I think it was sobo1 who posted here the embezzlement was no big deal. Nyre allegations against Marino on the handling of it is very troubling. Plus the dean in charge of the law school at the center of itis still a professor at the law school.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piratz

Apparently,Law School embezzlement is being handled in house versus outside legal avenues.In other words,it's being handled in house and swept under the rug.We function kind of like the Soprano's.Didn't Tony go to SHU for a semester?

The article was not behind a paywall. Nj.com knows we won’t pay them to trash us.
LOL. Well, when I went to it, it was noted as a subscriber exclusive and I couldn't get around the pop up panhandling. Perhaps they lifted the gate on it since then.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Probably doesn’t help that Nyre did not seem to have been well liked even before the law school story came out. Doesn’t preclude the possibility of his claims having merit, but still.

Wasn't it stretched out over many years, a proportionately small amount each year but a lot over many years, with more than one doing it? Statute of limitations might be involved with much of the stolen $$$.

That's not a problem here. In a theft by deception case, prosecutors have the ability to aggregate the entire amount stolen over those years and present it as a single offense involving continuing course of conduct, which means the SoL began running the day after the last theft was completed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT