ADVERTISEMENT

‘Gaslighting, retaliation and intimidation’ forced me to leave Seton Hall, former president says

That's not a problem here. In a theft by deception case, prosecutors have the ability to aggregate the entire amount stolen over those years and present it as a single offense involving continuing course of conduct, which means the SoL began running the day after the last theft was completed.
Yet oddly no one has been charged. And it ran a long time as i understand it. Dating back to Hobbs I believe.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Trying to wrap my head around the Seton Hall law investigation. How is it that a million dollars gets misappropriated and nobody sees a court date over it? Stringing news articles together, interesting timing that a million dollar endowment gets donated and established by Kevin Marino in the same year as that investigation was publicized. I particularly enjoy the photo with his good friend, the former Dean, who Nyre accused of interfering with said investigation.

Seems like it all got washed away behind a closed door and with the opening of someone's checkbook.
I'm with you on this. It's astonishing that no one has been charged. And the timing of that million dollar donation adds to the stink.

I'm with you on this. It's astonishing that no one has been charged. And the timing of that million dollar donation adds to the stink.
That is a wild insinuation. Marino loves the law school and is without doubt one of the best lawyers we ever turned out. Probably not the best choice for Board Chair but not deserving of the insinuation.

Around the time Nyre left wasn’t it stated that he wanted more oversight of the Law School but the Board of Regents poo-pooed the idea? How can that be good?

Reactions: TomD82 and shupat08
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office
This is certainly interesting coming from you.

Reactions: Duego Duck
It is not unusual when monies are misappropriated that charges aren't filed. Sometimes organizations don't want that info getting out and they fire and find some sort of settlement with the folks that stole the money. I know of a NJ law firm believe it or not that their CFO was stealing for years and they didn't want the bad press out there especially because they do a lot of criminal white collar trials and they didn't want the bad press.

But in a University setting, to me it is more unusual because although the bad press hurts, people generally understand this stuff can happen. Nyre's need for more oversight is not unusual at all and seems reasonable but some obviously did not want to cede power for who knows why and the struggle ensued.

Awful job by SHU not to control this much earlier and not let it get to this point.

Reactions: Piratz
I don't know much about this that isn't being reported here, and I might be totally off base, but my gut feeling is that Nyre comes off as the more credible party here. Knowing general trends about board governance, and aware that they are now being asked to sit through trainings at many institutions to help them better understand the limits of their powers (to say nothing of ethics), makes it easier to believe that Marino was a runaway train of considerable ego with no checks on his power.

Thanks for linking. To make clear for all the claims in the pleadings here even if utterly false can not be the basis of a slander suit. So throw all you want against the wall the plaintiff can’t be sued for the claims he makes.

Keep that in mind when you read the complaint and avoid the temptation to believe that if it’s in a lawsuit it has to be true.

And who isn’t named as a defendant in this case?? None other than the big bad wolf Nyre complains about throughout the pleadings. Let that sink in.

The details in the 66-page complaint are most likely supported by eye-witness accounts, sworn statements and emails which appear to have detailed the interactions between staff, administrators and the Board. An Essex County jury will get to judge the Board's handling of the matter. To me, it smacks as something that should have been kept private. A case like this will drag the school through more mud for another 2-3 years. the lawyers will make millions, could be tens of millions given the number of lawyers that will be required. hope there is insurance coverage. just not the best timing when we need every dollar for NIL and the practice facility. talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. perhaps its time to clean house at the Board level and appoint disinterested Regents with the 'good Ol boys' leaving the decision making to others......

The details in the 66-page complaint are most likely supported by eye-witness accounts, sworn statements and emails which appear to have detailed the interactions between staff, administrators and the Board. An Essex County jury will get to judge the Board's handling of the matter. To me, it smacks as something that should have been kept private. A case like this will drag the school through more mud for another 2-3 years. the lawyers will make millions, could be tens of millions given the number of lawyers that will be required. hope there is insurance coverage. just not the best timing when we need every dollar for NIL and the practice facility. talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. perhaps its time to clean house at the Board level and appoint disinterested Regents with the 'good Ol boys' leaving the decision making to others......
Also hitting our biggest donors which will also only hurt the school. We can never get out of our own way this is such a shit show.

I don't know much about this that isn't being reported here, and I might be totally off base, but my gut feeling is that Nyre comes off as the more credible party here. Knowing general trends about board governance, and aware that they are now being asked to sit through trainings at many institutions to help them better understand the limits of their powers (to say nothing of ethics), makes it easier to believe that Marino was a runaway train of considerable ego with no checks on his power.

Meanwhile, Marino is representing that Rutgers player who is saying the NCAA.

Wheeeeee
Wonder what Pat Lyons thinks of all this, having come over with Nyre from Iona and courting these guys all for donations.

Marino is at every game with his wife and seems to be besties with Hank D'Alessandro, current chair of BOT. They are all in the same boys club, gotta wonder if there's something to this since these are strong allegations for a former president to make in a public lawsuit.

We sit near Marino and his wife at games and I never see him with a drink in his hand, or remotely out of control, so the kiss on the neck seems a bit out of character. LOL.

Not a good look for our beloved Catholic University.

They do know each other very well and have a STRONG mutual respect.

No problems like this at Iona where everyone knows he did a great job. I’ve met and talked with Dr. Joe and Kelli both numerous times and hold them both in the highest regard. I’m absolutely certain that they were not looking for this out come at Seton Hall. In fact I’m sure they are devastated by the current situation. Something is really wrong way beyond the law school problem. I view that as just smoke. This is not going to end well for all those involved on both sides. Sad.

The complaint is equal parts petty and salacious. And it is the product of the clash of two very large egos.

How he gets past the general releases they executed when he left is a puzzle. I think he has as much luck here as Powell did. And btw, the lawyer who got the Powell suit tossed? None other than Kevin Marino.

Sworn statements? So much of it is he said he said. Petty versus salacious is how’d I describe it.

You can access the filing on The Setonian link. Should read it.

Covers all kinds of salacious stuff aimed at framing the characters, including Nyre cancelling a family vaca to help SHU in the McCarrick case to show Nyres “loyalty” I believe it said.

Marino comes off like a typical big ego type bullying his way and with all the SHU connections and relationships.

Also hitting our biggest donors which will also only hurt the school. We can never get out of our own way this is such a shit show.
I laughed when I read the allegation of Marino advocating for a student who had some connection to Robert Brennan and they noted Brennan’s felony conviction. I mean, ofc!!!

I'm only on page 15 of the document but it's tough to have much respect for past and present Regents.

Our BOR look like a bunch of real jackasses... None of them should be there after all this.

Our BOR look like a bunch of real jackasses... None of them should be there after all this.
I read the filing.We're obviously getting Nyres side of the story first presented by assumedly a very good attorney.That said,Marino sounds like a cross between Roy Cohn and Tony Soprano.If half of it is true I never want to meet him.
Unfortunately,life is not fair.Marino's law practice will go on just fine while Nyre will likely never be a college President again.I hope he gets a settlement which will fund his retirement.
A lesson for anyone who thinks about sitting on a University Board.

I laughed when I read the allegation of Marino advocating for a student who had some connection to Robert Brennan and they noted Brennan’s felony conviction. I mean, ofc!!!
No wonder we're called "Cheatin Hall"!Embarrassing!

Sounds like you have the facts. Why didn’t SH pursue recovery of the embezzlement. Why were no employees prosecuted?
Good questions. I have no inside knowledge but perhaps the law school leaders wanted to avoid bad publicity, were aware that policy for expense accounts wasn't so clear, and/or they valued the guilty parties and wanted to be merciful to them, avoiding prosecution.

Nyre wanted more control of the law school. The problems there gave him some leverage. Maybe that strategy backfired for him. Nyre may have been correct in wanting the lawschool less autonomous and more part of the university authority structure. But he wasn't able to build enough of a coaltion to accomplish that and relied on less fruitful means to that end.

I am just speculating.

I read the complaint. What I get out of this is that

1) Nyre was a very straight laced man who doesn’t operate well in the grey. For example, the admission of an unqualified student. It’s not many students it’s one or two that had a hook with Marino. Well, when someone like that asks for the favor, that is usually granted in any college. Nyre kind of gives him the middle finger.

2) Marino got his feathers ruffled due to being sort of disrespected by Nyre. The pettiness of raising rent and some other issues were not well played by Marino and Seton Hall.

Interestingly enough, Nyre wants his job back as one of his demands.

Good questions. I have no inside knowledge but perhaps the law school leaders wanted to avoid bad publicity, were aware that policy for expense accounts wasn't so clear, and/or they valued the guilty parties and wanted to be merciful to them, avoiding prosecution.
Nyre wanted more control of the law school. The problems there gave him some leverage. Maybe that strategy backfired for him. Nyre may have been correct in wanting the law school less autonomous and more part of the university authority structure. But he wasn't able to build enough of a coalition to accomplish that and relied on less fruitful means to that end.

I am just speculating.
So you don’t have any facts but are just speculating. LMAO!!!!! Why don’t you wait until have the facts before proffering an unfounded opinion. You are harming Dr Nyre’s reputation.

I read the complaint. What I get out of this is that 1) Nyre was a very straight laced man who doesn’t operate well in the grey. For example, the admission of an unqualified student. It’s not many students it’s one or two that had a hook with Marino. Well, when someone like that asks for the favor, that is usually granted in any college. Nyre kind of gives him the middle finger.

2) Marino got his feathers ruffled due to being sort of disrespected by Nyre. The pettiness of raising rent and some other issues were not well played by Marino and Seton Hall.

Interestingly enough, Nyre wants his job back as one of his demands.
I don't think he's getting his job back after this but he might have a seriously damaged rep after this too unfortunately. Glad a few attorneys have added their two cents as us lay people (non-attorney types) can't always read between the lines on these things. Still a terrible look for the school that it got this far.

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT