ADVERTISEMENT

A can of worms is about to explode

CaptBob

All Big East
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Lewes , Delaware

32 Oregon Female Athletes File Sex-Discrimination Lawsuit Against University.​

The University of Oregon is facing a lawsuit from some of its female athletes over alleged violations of federal law by "depriving the of equal athletic financial aid and other resources."

According to Sportico, 32 athletes from the women's beach volleyball and club rowing team are accusing the school of violating Title IX by disproportionately allocating resources through its NIL collective.
"The named plaintiffs, which include 26 members of Oregon’s women’s beach volleyball team and six club rowers, accuse the soon-to-be Big Ten university of violating federal law by depriving them of equal athletic financial aid and other resources. Those other disproportionate resources, the plaintiffs allege, are the benefits UO athletes receive through Oregon’s NIL collective, Division Street, and Opendorse, which hosts the Ducks’ official NIL marketplace," Sportico's Daniel Libit wrote.

If NIL is coming from outside the school for specific sports and schools can’t direct the money or contribute, how exactly does this get fixed?

Reactions: SOpirate and CL82
If NIL is coming from outside the school for specific sports and schools can’t direct the money or contribute, how exactly does this get fixed?
I don’t see how you can fix it. We live in a time where everyone has a complaint or an affliction.

The sense of entitlement knows no bounds.

A can of worms indeed. Sorry to be melodramatic but this is surely the beginning of the end.

Maybe I’m confused. I thought the school technically can have nothing to do with this. I thought the collectives were outside entities that give money directly to the players. I don’t want to be naive, obviously coaches are helping these collectives determine how much to pay each player, What does any school have to do with that outside entities are paying players. As well if the university is handling the actual NIL funds isn’t that illegal?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I don’t see how you can fix it. We live in a time where everyone has a complaint or an affliction.

A can of worms indeed. Sorry to be melodramatic but this is surely the beginning of the end.
Actually it could be just what is needed.

I don’t think it holds up legally…but if it did, there is no way schools/supporters can afford to provide Nil equally across all sports. Perhaps that tamps this whole thing down…or the major sports break off from the schools and become semi professional leagues, which certainly with football is what they are becoming. Then they “affiliate “ with the school to provide educational opportunities for their athletes, and for that the school gets to”brand” a team.

Who knows…

Was thinking same thing. Outside of title 9 jurisdiction and free market took over

Reactions: batts
With all the work that went into Title IX to protect women’s sports, and give them an equal footing, NIL is destroying all of it. Unless you are one of the very few schools where people will actually pay to see women’s sports, they will be relegated to intermural level. And now, with all of the social justice, transgender men can compete against them. It would sucks to be as female athlete these days.

This is like expecting your walk-on to command the same amount of NIL money as your star player. It’s crazy to think that a school’s women’s bowling team will command the same NIL money as their football team. People need to realize life ain’t fair and some people’s name, image and likeness just ain’t worth the same amount as someone else’s.

With all the work that went into Title IX to protect women’s sports, and give them an equal footing, NIL is destroying all of it. Unless you are one of the very few schools where people will actually pay to see women’s sports, they will be relegated to intermural level. And now, with all of the social justice, transgender men can compete against them. It would sucks to be as female athlete these days.
Guys who can’t compete on the men’s team need to come to terms with the fact they are just not that athletically gifted and they need to be kept off of the women’s teams and out of their locker rooms! This is what happens when everyone is allowed to make the team and given a trophy.

Why should Title IX be applicable to NIL?
Because with mega conferences going coast to coast, they’re going to have to realign women’s sports regionally. any non-revenue producing sport is going to incur more expenses, and no way will universities go for that. And NIL money for any of them is going to limited to the “attractive” players.

Title IX was created to give equal footing. NIL is mostly going to have an adverse effect on women’s sports.

Well if it's real NIL (athletes finding actual ways to profit off their name, likeness and image like Olivia Dunn does) then they have no argument.

If it's proven to be pay for play that the schools have a lot to do with in the background they might just have a case. This is the kicker. In reality every coach of a D1 football or basketball school has some say and has to negotiate with kids. How do coaches know what the market is if the first question they get asked on the recruiting trail is how much can you get me? And ADs have to be working in the background to set-up NIL sources or they'd be out of business. And many aren't in the shadows anymore and pushing NIL blatantly.

Reactions: shupat08

I seriously doubt the sports apocalypse is upon us.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Because with mega conferences going coast to coast, they’re going to have to realign women’s sports regionally. any non-revenue producing sport is going to incur more expenses, and no way will universities go for that. And NIL money for any of them is going to limited to the “attractive” players.

Title IX was created to give equal footing. NIL is mostly going to have an adverse effect on women’s sports.
Yeah I don't know how they're going to square this or how you're going to tell the NIL funders that their money is now going to be redirected?? They created a free market situation with the NIL. And if that's not the solution, I don't know what kind of other revenue sharing might need to take place especially against the NIL which fluctuates year to year in value.

Reactions: HALL85
I don't see how they deserve an equal piece of contracts that the collectives make with players. Collectives are not part of the university, funding is separate from the university and its a free market system.

Where they may have a case are with other benefits the school provides in support of NIL. Offering individual Jerseys and other team clothing for sale, creating profiles for athletes on Opendorse, providing education on ways to market themselves, create LLCs, manage finances, etc.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
College sports in general are just getting so hard to support. I can easily see myself in a few years watching Soprano or Seinfeld reruns than watching college sports. Between the insane realignment, the NIL and transfer portal, it is very difficult to support. I can only imagine what a nightmare it is for coaches.

Per Matt Rhule, a good qb in the portal costs $2M. It is really getting absurd.

Reactions: shu09
College sports in general are just getting so hard to support. I can easily see myself in a few years watching Soprano or Seinfeld reruns than watching college sports. Between the insane realignment, the NIL and transfer portal, it is very difficult to support. I can only imagine what a nightmare it is for coaches.

Per Matt Rhule, a good qb in the portal costs $2M. It is really getting absurd.

It's insanity. I still come to these boards because I enjoy the conversations with folks. But my passion for SH basketball (and college hoops in general) is at an all-time low. I'll watch the games, but don't really have a desire to go to them as I once did. In the past (for 24 seasons until as recently as last year), SH basketball home games were can't-miss events for me. That is no longer the case.

I never got into college football (even more insane) and don't really like the sport of football to begin with. I love basketball the sport. But I despise what college basketball has become and is continuing to turn into.

It's insanity. I still come to these boards because I enjoy the conversations with folks. But my passion for SH basketball (and college hoops in general) is at an all-time low. I'll watch the games, but don't really have a desire to go to them as I once did. In the past (for 24 seasons until as recently as last year), SH basketball home games were can't-miss events for me. That is no longer the case.

I never got into college football (even more insane) and don't really like the sport of football to begin with. I love basketball the sport. But I despise what college basketball has become and is continuing to turn into.
NIL and the portal are killing the sport. College sports are now essentially a paid minor-league system with free agency. It’s losing that connection, where you watch a player grow, or a kid come off the bench after committing to the program for three years and making a big play. Fans now paying for the laundry. Add conference musical chairs…hard to recognize the sport sometimes.

Reactions: shu09 and Piratz
NIL and the portal are killing the sport. College sports are now essentially a paid minor-league system with free agency. It’s losing that connection, where you watch a player grow, or a kid come off the bench after committing to the program for three years and making a big play. Fans now paying for the laundry. Add conference musical chairs…hard to recognize the sport sometimes.
This. The continuity and accessibility was a great part about college sports. You saw cultures created, players developed, and a real brand or identity for a school and program. That made the rooting and engagement enjoyable. I don’t know what Holloway is going to do here because he’s up against it from so many angles in his first big power conference job, but I did also really enjoy that aspect of the Willard Era and the list was extensive with stories like Powell, Gill, Mamu, Rhoden, Ike, Nzei, Delgado, and on and on.

This. The continuity and accessibility was a great part about college sports. You saw cultures created, players developed, and a real brand or identity for a school and program. That made the rooting and engagement enjoyable. I don’t know what Holloway is going to do here because he’s up against it from so many angles in his first big power conference job, but I did also really enjoy that aspect of the Willard Era and the list was extensive with stories like Powell, Gill, Mamu, Rhoden, Ike, Nzei, Delgado, and on and on.
Holloway has to deal with what every other coach has to, but they are well paid to do so.

For the fan, the game has become more transactional.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT