ADVERTISEMENT

Aiken - I only care about one thing

mspaeth

All Big East
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2004
I only care about one thing with Aiken - His health.

He is a Harvard grad with a Seton Hall Masters - he has a big future ahead and he should risk nothing over a few basketball games.

We will be fine without him - Harris and Kadary have stepped up and they will continue to do so.

Aiken has given us some great memories and I only hope he has a healthy life ahead of him. Basketball is a fun game to play and a fun game to watch. Hope he is Ok, and that is it.

We will be fine without him - Harris and Kadary have stepped up and they will continue to do so.

Nice post. And while Harris and Kadary have stepped up, we will not be fine without him. With a healthy Aiken, i think we had the opportunity to make a much deeper run. I hope i am proven wrong, but the kid was so clutch down the stretch for us. We probably would have lost Michigan, Cal, Texas and UCONN without him.

Anyway, his health is more important. As we have seen in the NFL, concussions lead to much more serious issues down the road. If i was in his situation (knowing what i know now), I would certainly err on the side of caution. Anyway, i feel really bad for him because it sounded like he did everything possible to play this year.

I agree - we are not 9-1 without Bryce.

Right now, we need Rhoden to go from 3rd team All-Big East to the projected 1st team.

Aiken got us this far......Rhoden, Kadary, Tyrese and Cale need to carry us farther into the BET and the NCAA Tourney.

The team still has a ton of talent.

With a good defense and 3's falling anything can happen.......

Reactions: Abbo71
Guys have to step up, play better as a team and everyone commit to rebounding and defense every second on the court. If we can maintain our defensive focus just a little more to the end of the shot clock and cut down on our TOs some, we can make some noise.

He needs to take care of his health but let’s face reality, This team will be lucky to make the tourney without him and that’s doubtful in my mind. We had to get lucky against DePaul to hold on. NIT is not even a guaranty. Unless Willard suddenly invents an offense this team is going nowhere.

He needs to take care of his health but let’s face reality, This team will be lucky to make the tourney without him and that’s doubtful in my mind. We had to get lucky against DePaul to hold on. NIT is not even a guaranty. Unless Willard suddenly invents an offense this team is going nowhere.

this is littered with fallacy

this is littered with fallacy
Opinion can’t be a fallacy until it is proven to be false which until the games are played and selection Sunday arrives can’t be done. I think this team today is at best as play in game which unless it’s against a bad low major I think we lose. What made us good early in the season was depth. We were going 10 deep and expecting Weston back to bolster the rotation. We also didn’t expect Connelly to redshirt. We could certainly use him now. Aiken was the key player. Losing him takes out an entire dimension from our team. He stretched the defense and then when you came out to him he’d drive past you. Kadary has improved his 3 but not enough for teams to not let him shoot it. There is no one else on the roster who brings that. Harris can shoot but not nearly the gifted driver Aiken is. So to sum up how confident are you we go better than 2-2? I certainly wouldn’tput money on it. So, at 9-10 in conference we’re not getting in.

Reactions: mbraue
Opinion can’t be a fallacy until it is proven to be false which until the games are played and selection Sunday arrives can’t be done. I think this team today is at best as play in game which unless it’s against a bad low major I think we lose. What made us good early in the season was depth. We were going 10 deep and expecting Weston back to bolster the rotation. We also didn’t expect Connelly to redshirt. We could certainly use him now. Aiken was the key player. Losing him takes out an entire dimension from our team. He stretched the defense and then when you came out to him he’d drive past you. Kadary has improved his 3 but not enough for teams to not let him shoot it. There is no one else on the roster who brings that. Harris can shoot but not nearly the gifted driver Aiken is. So to sum up how confident are you we go better than 2-2? I certainly wouldn’tput money on it. So, at 9-10 in conference we’re not getting in.
That differs from every bracket projector

That differs from every bracket projector
That was assuming Aiken returning. You think we’re running the table? I think we’re lucky to split the last 4 and that’s only because GT and Butler so bad. If whatever Dan is hinting regarding Aiken means he’s not coming back you’ll see those projections change. We lose to Butler, we won’t even be on the bubble.

There’s a big misconception that Aiken carried us this season. He wasn’t playing like a first or second team all big east player. He will be missed, but we’re not done without him.

That was assuming Aiken returning. You think we’re running the table? I think we’re lucky to split the last 4 and that’s only because GT and Butler so bad. If whatever Dan is hinting regarding Aiken means he’s not coming back you’ll see those projections change. We lose to Butler, we won’t even be on the bubble.
9-10 will do the trick ..… bracket experts don‘t care about injuries. They do care about losses.

Reactions: STLPirate12
The bubble is extremely weak. If we take care of the two home games we will be fine to get in. If you take a look at the bubble teams, as long as we don't lose either of the home games, our resume is far and away better than a vast majority of them.

We may not be playing great basketball, but as long as no screw ups at home we will be in the tournament. In order to win a game or two we really need guys like Samuel, Jackson, and Yetna to step up. Samuel has been quite a disappointment in my book. Yetna and Jackson have had some big games, but other games they are non-existent.

We will get in as long as we win the two home games

Reactions: 60au9
9-10 will do the trick ..… bracket experts don‘t care about injuries. They do care about losses.
If you think we’re getting in at 9-10 you’re delusional. We’ve been 10-8 and 20 wins and not gotten in. 18-11 and 9-10 were NIT bound if we’re lucky. We’d need a minimum of 2 wins in BET. That would be a tall order.

I'm not happy with how we've looked, but have you taken a look at the teams on the bubble? It's a different year than past years. There are some teams with significantly worse resumes than ours that would make the field today. If we take care of business at home we're fine. If we drop one against Butler or Georgetown then we have to start to worry. We're currently 36th in the Net with 5 Quad 1 wins and 0 Quad 3 or Quad 4 losses. Avoid any bad losses and we're fine.

If you think we’re getting in at 9-10 you’re delusional. We’ve been 10-8 and 20 wins and not gotten in. 18-11 and 9-10 were NIT bound if we’re lucky. We’d need a minimum of 2 wins in BET. That would be a tall order.
Every year is different so what might have happened in one year doesn't apply to another.

That said, we've never had a 20-win overall season with 10 Big East wins and not gotten an NCAA bid.

There is no reputable bracket projection that doesn't have us comfortably in the field right now. That doesn't mean we're a lock but we're closer to being in than not as long as we take care of business.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and 60au9
This team can still be good without Aiken. Lots to clean up, but you’re telling me they can’t play with Providence, Villanova, and Connecticut as-is? BS.

Maybe the dynamic changes now that they know he’s not coming back. Gotta get to work.

I only care about one thing with Aiken - His health.

He is a Harvard grad with a Seton Hall Masters - he has a big future ahead and he should risk nothing over a few basketball games.

Aiken has given us some great memories and I only hope he has a healthy life ahead of him. Basketball is a fun game to play and a fun game to watch. Hope he is Ok, and that is it.
Wishing Bryce all the best. The injures he’s had and the time missed is just unreal but also glad he had those moments this year.

Does the board know about what happen to Bryce in practice?
There are news about some specifics on Aiken in the trove but not sure if it’s the same info you have heard about something occurring in a practice.

As far as the cause of the latest injury, my thoughts anyway, are that the concussion (that is plaguing Aiken now) was caused by the Elliot elbow at the end of the first Marq game a few weeks ago.

Conference record is 100% irrelevant to the selection committee. If we beat Butler and Georgetown, we're a lock.

Conference record is 100% irrelevant to the selection committee. If we beat Butler and Georgetown, we're a lock.
Agreed. We may not do much in the tournament as we have not looked great. But if we avoid those two bad losses and you look at our resume there’s no way we don’t get in.

We are adjusting to basketball without Aiken, we'll be fine.

Every year I hear the same concerns: How are we going to replace Whitehead? How are we going to replace Delgado? How are we going to replace Powell? How will we replace Mamu? None of these losses proved disastrous as we had players in waiting.

Replacing Aiken isn't easy because it was a midseason loss and coach never knew how long he'd be out. Willard knows exactly what he's dealing with now, we got the talent and the coach will make adjustments.

GO PIRATES!!!

Reactions: STLPirate12
I cannot substantiate the rumor I was told earlier. I'm personally hoping to see Bryce back on the court to make a deep run. Lets go hall.
Rod,

The rumor you were told earlier - does it mean Aiken might return at some point? Sounds the opposite of what Willard said recently that he doesn’t expect him back at all and that an announcement about his SHU career ending was imminent.

I know concussions and the symptoms can linger well beyond what professionals can predict. Seems like this is what’s at play here with so much changing info.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT