ADVERTISEMENT

Ain't playing without my underwear

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Louisville’s Ty-Laur Johnson barely played in first half because of wardrobe malfunction​

By Bridget Reilly

An underwear problem almost cost Louisville a win and Ty-Laur Johnson was almost willing to take the loss.

The top-100 recruit, who has scored in double figures three times in his first six games, only played three minutes in the first half against Bellarmine on Wednesday despite the Cardinals trailing by five points entering halftime.

Team discipline?

Nagging injury?

None of the above.

“You ready for this? I probably shouldn’t tell you this,” head coach Kenny Payne told reporters after the game when asked why Johnson was on the sideline.

“We didn’t have the tights he wanted, so he didn’t know if he wanted to play. Oh yeah, you heard it. We didn’t have the tights he wanted, that we’ve never had for him, and he decided, ‘I don’t feel like I can go.’”

Johnson got his mindset straight as he came back on the court to tally five assists in 16 second-half minutes to help Louisville rally for a 73-68 win to avoid a second straight loss to Bellarmine.

The Cardinals hold a 12-1 series record over the Knights, whom they lost to for the first time in 2022, 67-66.

“In the second half, he accepted the fact that we didn’t have the kind of tights that we’d never had for him, and he played well,” Payne said.

Bellarmine’s head coach Scotty Davenport also said he had never had to deal with a similar situation throughout his decades-long career.

“I coach my guys … I will say, I’ve coached a lot of years, at all levels and that’s a first,” he said.

Johnson was one of head coach Payne’s highest-ranked recruits as he tries to boost a program that went 4-28 last season — Payne’s first year at the university.

Across seven games, Johnson has averaged 8.9 points and 3.7 assists in 20.9 minutes per game.

The 4-3 Cardinals have five more games before ACC play kicks off against Virginia (6-1) on Jan. 3.

This board would’ve erupted if he got his 100k from us and pulled this stunt
Rightfully so! With the insane NIL payments these kids are demanding and receiving you get your butt off the bench an on the court if the coach calls your number!

I've heard that the kid had a groin pull and wanted compression shorts. If that is correct and the coach threw him under the bus, it's a pretty bad look for the coach.

I've heard that the kid had a groin pull and wanted compression shorts. If that is correct and the coach threw him under the bus, it's a pretty bad look for the coach.
WAIT....if this is true then the story above is ridiculous....and I agree the coach is an a-hole.

But if it isn't...the kid is a prima donna.

ok...so...which is it? lol

Im more shocked that a coach would say that about a player than anything.

This kid is very talented but played a lot of games during his recruitment to get every dollar he could.

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT