ADVERTISEMENT

Amy Barrett

You have this delusional belief that I am leftist and while I have liberal beliefs in certain areas I am not leftist nor am i a registered dem....
You preach lawyers ruin everything and come across and say these were fine judicial placements.

I took a civics class my senior year of high school. About 18 high schools across 12 or 14 districts participated. We stayed at montclair state when we met for model congress.

I was a chair person and knew procedure of roberts rules of order very well. I also had my proposed bill passed on another committee

Still clinging to your high school achievements. That's precious.

You're right. They are.
I don't really have an issue with conservatives appointing justices which align with conservative beliefs. They are well qualified. I don't really agree with originalism, but I don't have an issue with Barrett.

I just have an issue with how partisan the process has become and I believe that the confirmation of Barrett was wrong in the context of what happened with Garland.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Garland should have been confirmed, as should Barrett. Pretty shameful that every Democrat in the Senate is a partisan hack and not a single one voted to confirm a qualified candidate.

Stop. There is no context where you would be as forgiving there if the president was a democrat. You're largest criticisms of Obama were about his leadership and ability to get things done, and now you are giving a pass to Trump because he was never going to propose a healthcare plan in his first term? You're just making excuses because you don't want to hold republicans to the same standard that you apply to democrats.
I'm not giving Trump a pass at all; just explaining what he did and why he did it. We are not going to get a good and meaningful healthcare insurance plan the way things are currently constructed.

Republicans and Democrats have both been ineffective and tone deaf. They also are pawns to the lobbyists.

And you're right. Obama was a lousy leader and got nothing done, outside of the ACA which made insurance companies, pharma, attorneys and med device companies a lot of freaking money and cost the consumer more. Well done Barry!

Reactions: Section112
Two wrongs don't make a right. Garland should have been confirmed, as should Barrett. Pretty shameful that every Democrat in the Senate is a partisan hack and not a single one voted to confirm a qualified candidate.

So what is the correction of the Garland situation though?

The correction should have been Republicans coming out and saying what they did with Garland was wrong, and that there is no election year rule and they will consider the nominee after the election because of the prior precedent but this will not be a rule going forward.

I'm not giving Trump a pass at all; just explaining what he did and why he did it. We are not going to get a good and meaningful healthcare insurance plan the way things are currently constructed.

Republicans and Democrats have both been ineffective and tone deaf. They also are pawns to the lobbyists.

And you're right. Obama was a lousy leader and got nothing done, outside of the ACA which made insurance companies, pharma, attorneys and med device companies a lot of freaking money and cost the consumer more. Well done Barry!
Republicans screwed up royally the first 2 years when they held the Senate, the House, and the Presidency. It should've been done those first 2 years. They had 6 years to have a plan in place for the moment they held all 3. No excuse.

So what is the correction of the Garland situation though?

The correction should have been Republicans coming out and saying what they did with Garland was wrong, and that there is no election year rule and they will consider the nominee after the election because of the prior precedent but this will not be a rule going forward.
Nobody ever flips the switch on the dems. What about their fight to get Garland confirmed. On principle, they aren't too solid as they changed their stance because they lost? They were fighting for a vote in 2016, if they want the Republicans to hold true to their stance, shouldn't they hold true too?

I'm not giving Trump a pass at all; just explaining what he did and why he did it.

Right, but when it came to Obama you ignored all of the context around the issues because "leaders get stuff done" etc.. Just call it as it is. It is a failure that he didn't propose something when they had a chance to pass something.

lots of people have free or assisted payment healthcare. how will they pay for it when its taken away?

Nobody ever flips the switch on the dems. What about their fight to get Garland confirmed. On principle, they aren't too solid as they changed their stance because they lost? They were fighting for a vote in 2016, if they want the Republicans to hold true to their stance, shouldn't they hold true too?

The problem is that in 2016 democrats were correct. Garland should have been considered.

In 2020, given the context of 2016, democrats are right to be upset that republicans are pushing through a nominee when 60 million people have already voted in an election.

If 2016 didn't happen, democrats would be wrong now. But we can't just pretend 2016 didn't happen and move on.

The problem is that in 2016 democrats were correct. Garland should have been considered.

In 2020, given the context of 2016, democrats are right to be upset that republicans are pushing through a nominee when 60 million people have already voted in an election.

If 2016 didn't happen, democrats would be wrong now. But we can't just pretend 2016 didn't happen and move on.
yup. everyone is trying to compare them as equal. they arent. this election already has more submitted entries than last election. it potentially could already be over.

Can't forget that it was the Dems that changed the voting rule in 2013 (lead by Harry Reid) and went with the nuclear option changing the Senate procedures on the 60 vote rule on exec and judicial appointments. They did that because they had a small majority in Senate but did not have the 60 votes. That is where all of this started. Then the Repubs followed suit extending it to Supreme Court nominees under McConnel.

Both parties guilty of mad partisanship. This did not start with Garland at all and I agree there should have been a vote and McConnel screwed that up.

The argument that people have already voted is complete and utter crap. It has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The president's term runs from 1/20/17 to 1/20/21. The people elected him for that term and any vacancy that comes up during that time is his obligation to fill.

I just have an issue with how partisan the process has become and I believe that the confirmation of Barrett was wrong in the context of what happened with Garland.

The process became partisan well before Garland.

What happened with Garland was wrong and I said so at the time, not Monday morning quarterbacking like many here do.

What happened with Barrett was correct.

The argument that people have already voted is complete and utter crap. It has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The president's term runs from 1/20/17 to 1/20/21. The people elected him for that term and any vacancy that comes up during that time is his obligation to fill.
then why did they rush at all time speed to get her in? another month would have been normal and he still would have additional month left in his term.

unless they were rushing in case he lost the election. so yea maybe it isnt crap.

then why did they rush at all time speed to get her in? another month would have been normal and he still would have additional month left in his term.

unless they were rushing in case he lost the election. so yea maybe it isnt crap.

They rushed it because both sides in DC are full of political hacks.

Right, but when it came to Obama you ignored all of the context around the issues because "leaders get stuff done" etc.. Just call it as it is. It is a failure that he didn't propose something when they had a chance to pass something.
His plan was ill-conceived and he should have focused his priorities elsewhere to actually get something done. Got bad advice and pushed through a piece of crap that added layers of cost that had nothing to do with care.

I agree it's a crap argument unless you consider the context of 2016.
If we pretend 2016 never happened, then there is no issue with 2020.

Again. Democrats were the ones that were wronged in 2016.
What is the correction? Nothing?

Maybe both sides can start acting like adults; but if you keep voting for them....

Reactions: shu09

There is no correction! Only a partisan would think there has to be a "correction." Two wrongs don't make a right. This nomination followed the constitutional process.

They rushed it because both sides in DC are full of political hacks.
i think you know the answer and it makes what merge is saying relevant. but yea everyone is a hack. at this point its "dont hate the player hate the game"

There is no correction! Only a partisan would think there has to be a "correction." Two wrongs don't make a right. This nomination followed the constitutional process.

Like I said. I think waiting until after the election for confirmation would have been a correction and not against the constitutional process to do so. That would have been the least partisan correction possible.

Since this question is politically focused/loaded, the correction is win the presidency and control the senate.

That doesn’t change a generational shift on the court.
A correction would be (if they win the senate) DC and PR statehood or an expansion of the Supreme Court.

Bingo factory for judicial nominations and confirmations, no legislating going on, and we have people on this very board that feel republicans have handled the country well the last 7 months

Schatz and Hirano may be the two biggest kooks in the senate (not a good look for Hawaii), and that's saying a lot in a body with Chris Murphy, Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, Mitch McConnell, Chuck Schumer, Dick Blumenthal, Kamala Harris and Tom Cotton.

Reactions: Section112

Bingo factory for judicial nominations and confirmations, no legislating going on, and we have people on this very board that feel republicans have handled the country well the last 7 months
Was there a lot of legislation going on during the three years of impeachment investigations and hearings?

The realities of the law is that it changes due to advancements of society that cannot be foreseen by men who lived over 200 years ago

I agree however it's Congress' job to address that, not the Supreme Court.

Again this started in 2013 when the Dems took the nuclear option and it just got worse from there.

Ignoring Covid-19 relief is a big miss by BOTH parties. There were compromises made but the Dems want the White House and did not want checks going out to voters with DT's name on it. The Dems were never going to settle on stimulus prior to the election unless they got their way 100%. That is how Pelosi rolls. Big miss though by BOTH parties as Americans suffer. Tells you all you need to know about our Senate and Congress. They suck!

Reactions: HALL85
Like I said. I think waiting until after the election for confirmation would have been a correction and not against the constitutional process to do so. That would have been the least partisan correction possible.
So you’re saying take the vote after election but before January ?

You are likely a terrible person...i am not saying i need it but i am saying it should be a uniformed, available option for people that do seek it
If we just enabled more competition you would have that and many more options.

You are likely a terrible person...i am not saying i need it but i am saying it should be a uniformed, available option for people that do seek it
politics is such a prisoners dilemma that nobody will ever pick a candidate for the greater good. we know nobody will work together anyway.

If we just enabled more competition you would have that and many more options.
whats the plan to do this? how quickly? even a few months of buying healthcare out of pocket until its implemented would be catastrophic for a lot of people.

idea sounds great. whats the plan?

whats the plan to do this? how quickly? even a few months of buying healthcare out of pocket until its implemented would be catastrophic for a lot of people.

idea sounds great. whats the plan?
It’s not that hard but no politician is going to $upport it.

It’s not that hard but no politician is going to $upport it.
sounds like some trump BS.

its very easy, believe me, not hard at all. but THEY wont do it!

yea ok. its ok to say that there isnt one and not having one is the worst case scenario.

Reactions: Merge
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT