ADVERTISEMENT

Amy Barrett

That’s even an odder statement.

Not really. It’s a theoretical argument but there is nothing to support it would reduce costs. More competition doesn’t necessarily reduce prices in every industry. Plenty of evidence showing it would just drive more consolidation in the industry and not improve premium pricing at all though.

Not really. It’s a theoretical argument but there is nothing to support it would reduce costs. More competition doesn’t necessarily reduce prices in every industry. Plenty of evidence showing it would just drive more consolidation in the industry and not improve premium pricing at all though.
That makes even less sense. Tell me you didn’t get your MBA from the Stillman School...please!

Reactions: Hallsome
We have the best and most expensive healthcare in the world. Why?

We want the best care; we want access that’s convenient; we want every type of care/everything covered by insurance; we want every life saving option available and covered; and we want choice. And we also live the most Unhealthiest lifestyle of any of the top 20 industrialized nations.

To use an analogy: we want a Maserati, with all available options; with lifetime service. We choose regular gas, don’t do scheduled maintainance andexpect someone to repair it cheap or free when it breaks down because we mistreated it.

And we expect the government to fix it. Too funny.

Reactions: Hallsome and shu09
Not an MBA but masters in account from Stillman. also don’t feel like I need to be a dick to have a discussion... but I learned that in elementary school.

In any case, I have read plenty to support that opening state lines will not impact premiums.
For example...

As I said earlier, opening state lines is just avenue to lower pricing, but IMO it doesn’t move the needle that much. Legislating price transparency would be the game changer.

Reactions: Hallsome
I lost my insurance to Obama care and decided to join Christian Healthcare Ministries. CHM is a sharing network that covers pre-existing conditions. I was able to save $1,540 per month but I do have a $500 deductible. The big catch is drug or Alcohol problems are not covered so if you go to rehab it’s on you and you need to be Christian. Close to 70 % of most people’s premiums are spent on rehab, and people are clueless. I was laughing when the big guy commented about taking people out of jail and putting them in rehab. Being a member of CHM I’m technically a self pay individual so I can negotiate for my health care. I recently got an MRI done for $550. I was all in on a colonoscopy for $1100. I can choose any doctor I want anywhere in the world zero restrictions. I saved so much I currently donate money every month to help someone else who needs it. This network is growing like crazy, but my monthly payment is not. I’m sure the rehab places are funding our senators, and political elite and yes maybe our new president. Wolf in sheep’s clothing helping those in need. There is one word they comes to mind reading this thread. SUCKERS.
Sorry for being so blunt.

Last edited:
I lost my insurance to Obama care and decided to join Christian Healthcare Ministries. CHM is a sharing network that covers pre-existing conditions. I was able to save $1,540 per month but I do have a $500 deductible. The big catch is drug or Alcohol problems are not covered so if you go to rehab it’s on you and you need to be Christian. Close to 70 % of most people’s premiums are spent on rehab, and people are clueless. I was laughing when the big guy commented about taking people out of jail and putting them in rehab. Being a member of CHM I’m technically a self pay individual so I can negotiate for my health care. I recently got an MRI done for $550. I was all in on a colonoscopy for $1100. I can choose any doctor I want anywhere in the world zero restrictions. I saved so much I currently donate money every month to help someone else who needs it. This network is growing like crazy, but my monthly payment is not. I’m sure the rehab places are funding our senators, and political elite and yes maybe our new president. Wolf in sheep’s clothing helping those in need. There is one word they comes to mind reading this thread. SUCKERS.
Sorry for being so blunt.
Thank you! This is exactly the type of options I was referring to. By opening up more of a free market for innovative options the consumer can take control of their healthcare costs and treatment.

Thank you! This is exactly the type of options I was referring to. By opening up more of a free market for innovative options the consumer can take control of their healthcare costs and treatment.
Initially this option scared the heck out of me, truly a leap of faith. Now I feel liberated and honored to be in this network. Recently helped a 47 year old doctor with cancer in NYC consider this option. Many people are stuck in network using doctors that might not be the right fit. You can go anywhere in the world with the plan I’m on.
Your choice. This is one choice that makes sense.
If we took rehab out of the equation insurance would drop across the board. Maybe we should have government run rehab. Maybe 6 massive sites across the country with government issued employment at the end of rehab. Of course this makes too much sense plus no room for kickbacks so it will be rejected.

Close to 70 % of most people’s premiums are spent on rehab, and people are clueless.

Can you clarify what you are saying there?
Are you saying that 70% of healthcare premiums are spent on rehab?

I was laughing when the big guy commented about taking people out of jail and putting them in rehab.

Why? Have you looked into the outcomes of jail vs rehabilitation at all?

eing a member of CHM I’m technically a self pay individual so I can negotiate for my health care. I recently got an MRI done for $550. I was all in on a colonoscopy for $1100. I can choose any doctor I want anywhere in the world zero restrictions. I saved so much I currently donate money every month to help someone else who needs it. This network is growing like crazy, but my monthly payment is not.

That's good. I am all in favor of consumers being a part of the price considerations. Your plan works for you and that's great. There are some flaws in my opinion in how those types of plans work though when considering the needs of the entire country though. Specifically that they attract healthy people which ends up increasing the price of insurance for the people who your plan would not work for.

Reactions: SHUSA
Can you clarify what you are saying there?
Are you saying that 70% of healthcare premiums are spent on rehab?

Why? Have you looked into the outcomes of jail vs rehabilitation at all?

That's good. I am all in favor of consumers being a part of the price considerations. Your plan works for you and that's great. There are some flaws in my opinion in how those types of plans work though when considering the needs of the entire country though. Specifically that they attract healthy people which ends up increasing the price of insurance for the people who your plan would not work for.
You are right, these types of plans will increase the cost for folks on regular plans. My comments Are not researched but educated guesses which I should have disclosed. Keep in mind folks with pre-existing conditions are welcomed, plenty of people with problems just like everywhere else. There is a reason the first questions asked at a doctors office are drug and alcohol related. No saint here myself but most in the CHM network are not abusers. If you are abusing alcohol or drugs you are on your own.
I’ve seen the statistics of the number of people in rehab who make it. Google the results are sadly not very good. Unfortunately and sadly lost a good friend to alcohol this year. In and out of rehab and jail his whole life. This guy was an executive at American Express so not always about your financial position in life. I Spend some time at a homeless shelter and the percentage with drug and alcohol problems is very high. Many are in and out of rehab, becomes a way of life. We need to address this problem with fresh set of eyes and try new ways to help people.

Republicans screwed up royally the first 2 years when they held the Senate, the House, and the Presidency. It should've been done those first 2 years. They had 6 years to have a plan in place for the moment they held all 3. No excuse.
I agree. Unfortunately, devising a replacement plan is hard, complex and it takes years to determine if it was effective or not. And as we saw with the ACA, the influence of lobbyists is just too great to make a dent which is why neither party really wants to address the real cost drivers. So they kicked the can down the road once again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT