ADVERTISEMENT

And then there were 7

At least we are only local team. That leaves hope for a miracle. IF he decides he wants to stay close to home, we got him. Not likely though.

Only local school...we have that going for us. Long shot, but ya got to be in it to win it. Gotta sting if you're RU.

Reactions: deheremike
Eventually we are going to get another elite recruit.

What's extremely encouraging to me is that seton hall is the one metro school that is consistently listed as the "local" school for all these top recruits. They all are sending a message that "I may not stay home for school, but if I do it will be seton hall"

He cut Rutgers, North Carolina and UConn from his previous list of 10.

It's always good to see your name on the short list for an elite prospect and we've experienced that before with disappointing results which means I'll keep hoping we'll eventually land one but I'll also recognize our chances of signing him as a long shot.

Eventually? Wasn't Whitehead an elite recruit?

We aren't getting our fair share and that's understandable. We don't match up well against the blue blood programs. But we have gotten one, Probably came in second for Duval. And definitely came in $econd to UCLA for Slo-mo.

That's not bad for a small catholic school in NJ.

Reactions: ShuVol
Eventually? Wasn't Whitehead an elite recruit?

We aren't getting our fair share and that's understandable. We don't match up well against the blue blood programs. But we have gotten one, Probably came in second for Duval. And definitely came in $econd to UCLA for Slo-mo.

That's not bad for a small catholic school in NJ.

Coming in second doesn't matter in recruiting. It's all or nothing.

Whitehead was, but there were major strings attached as you know. At that time, we certainly had to do what we had to do. Now, I think we're in better position to land a few of these guys under "normal" circumstances. The program is no longer in the dumps and the league has acquitted itself well.

Absolutely disagree. Coming in second, especially when it happens often means you are knocking on the door. It means you are involved with people who down the road can help you with other players. be they elite or a level slightly below.

I remember when Sam Dalembert committed to the Pirates and when asked for a reason noted how he became comfortable with Tommy Amaker during the coach's recruitment in the prior year with the #1 player in the nation Al Harrington, who at the time verbaled to SHU but then decided to go straight to the NBA out of high school.

Keep pounding on the door and eventually it will fall down.

Regarding Whitehead....we were not the only team that would have accepted a package deal to get the 5 star player. Far from it. But we were the one he committed to and that's all that counts.

But there are strings attached with all recruits. What's the difference between hiring a players HS coach on your staff or buying a family member a house, or funneling money to his family thru an organization like hoop group? At the end of the day the player is getting an added benefit to attend your school. Call it what you want but it's all "strings attached recruiting". The only difference is that our hiring of Tiny was more visible than the tactics used in today's recruiting.

Agree with Dan 100%. It doesn't matter how we got Whitehead - we got him.

But there are strings attached with all recruits. What's the difference between hiring a players HS coach on your staff or buying a family member a house, or funneling money to his family thru an organization like hoop group? At the end of the day the player is getting an added benefit to attend your school. Call it what you want but it's all "strings attached recruiting". The only difference is that our hiring of Tiny was more visible than the tactics used in today's recruiting.
Spoke to a NYC AAU coach years ago who told me "show me a coach who doesn't bend the rues, even in a league such as the Ivy League, and I'll show you a coach in last place about to lose his job."

I can guarantee you that whitehead received better "offers" from other schools than our "Tiny Morton" offer. The only difference being that Tiny's hiring was public knowledge.

It's amazing how some of you guys twist words when someone disagrees with you.

Do you really think I don't know what goes on in college recruiting?

Our odds are probably low but you gotta be in it to win it. Seems like our name is getting mentioned more and more which cannot hurt. I think the local schools and AAU coaches are starting to see that we are a stable program and KW and our coaches are treating the kids well and developing them and they are getting lots of exposure in the BE too. Very nice progression and am glad we have gotten to this point. Now let's real one of these big time kids in!

I don't think I twisted words Before I added my thoughts on Whitehead I responded directly to your comment about coming in second in recruiting.

Our odds are probably low but you gotta be in it to win it. Seems like our name is getting mentioned more and more which cannot hurt. I think the local schools and AAU coaches are starting to see that we are a stable program and KW and our coaches are treating the kids well and developing them and they are getting lots of exposure in the BE too. Very nice progression and am glad we have gotten to this point. Now let's real one of these big time kids in!
After we helped to get well over a 100 SHU fans out to watch Walker, Manuel and Duval on a cold winter Sunday, the day of the Super Bowl BTW, the school's phones were ringing that night from HS and AAU coaches and player

Sure we helped make that happen, but if the staff wasn't getting the job done on and off the court it would not have mattered.

Reactions: Section112
I'm with you on most of this. Being in the hunt with the blue bloods is progress, for sure, and if we continue trending upward we will land one here or there, while still making a living on the Cale's, Powell's, Deano's, etc, which is fine by me because those kids stay several years.

On Whitehead, as stated here before, I know for a fact that the same "package" was offered to St. John's and Lavin wanted no party of Tiny. He was loyal to his assistants, and it cost him his job. I didn't know that Whitehead's camp were trying to pull the same with other schools - I can't even imagine them having the gall to try to get Rick Pitino to agree on that, and they were all over Whitehead for a period.

Absolutely disagree. Coming in second, especially when it happens often means you are knocking on the door. It means you are involved with people who down the road can help you with other players. be they elite or a level slightly below.

I remember when Sam Dalembert committed to the Pirates and when asked for a reason noted how he became comfortable with Tommy Amaker during the coach's recruitment in the prior year with the #1 player in the nation Al Harrington, who at the time verbaled to SHU but then decided to go straight to the NBA out of high school.

Keep pounding on the door and eventually it will fall down.

Regarding Whitehead....we were not the only team that would have accepted a package deal to get the 5 star player. Far from it. But we were the one he committed to and that's all that counts.

All teams bend the rules as I noted above. Some more so than others.

It's the dirty underbelly of football and basketball recruiting.

I'm an Alabama football fan since I was a child. That doesn't mean I don't think the school I root for doesn't do what they have to do to get their top targets.

Reactions: shu09
Blame it on my youth and the fact that when I was growing up only one college game was on TV each week. And since the Tide was dominant, especially with a legendary coach like Bear Bryant, each Saturday they were on the tube.

Familiarity either breeds contempt or makes you a fan.

I was too young and too stupid :p for the former so I chose the latter.

Not sure if this is directed at me but wasn't intending to twist words whatsoever. I was just trying to highlight that whiteheads recruitment was really no different than any other player of his level. It's just our package for that particular player was public knowledge. I also get defensive of the coaching staff becuase I feel they face(d) unfair criticism (not from u) regarding that whole situation.

Last edited:
Eventually we are going to get another elite recruit.

What's extremely encouraging to me is that seton hall is the one metro school that is consistently listed as the "local" school for all these top recruits. They all are sending a message that "I may not stay home for school, but if I do it will be seton hall"

Yep.

I'm surprised they were even listed to begin with. Had to be a courtesy to someone. Honestly, why would he want to throw his career away going there?

The courtesy part may be true but the RU staff has a strong relationship with him I've been told.
I never thought he would ultimately go there but at least keep them in his Top-5, as a courtesy.

Same here. He is going to one of the blue bloods anyway I think but thought Rutgers would be in the game longer.

The courtesy part may be true but the RU staff has a strong relationship with him I've been told.
I never thought he would ultimately go there but at least keep them in his Top-5, as a courtesy.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT