ADVERTISEMENT

Another beloved Pirate fan passes away

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Sandy Scaglione

I did not know Sandy that well but many on this board did. To them, along with Sandy's family, I grieve for you all.

P0036923-1_20200718.jpgx

Sparta - Santo (Sandy) Scaglione, 58 of Sparta, NJ passed away on July 16, 2020 after fighting a tough battle with cancer. He was born on May 31, 1962 in The Bronx, New York. He grew up in Rockaway, NJ, graduated from Morris Knolls High School, and attended Seton Hall University. Sandy married the love of his life, Denise Rudolph Scaglione, in 1988 and they moved to Sparta, NJ where they raised their four daughters.

He worked at Sony Corporation for 30 years, where he started as a business controller and ultimately became a Vice President of Finance and Operations. He finished his career at AGFA Corporation. Sandy had such a passion for sports. He was a devoted Seton Hall Pirates Basketball fan and attended every home game. And as a lifelong Yankees fan, he passed along his love for baseball to his daughters. He was on the Board of Directors for Sparta Girls Softball and coached their teams for many years. Above all else, there was nothing more important to Sandy than his four girls. He was a devoted father and their number one fan. He was an amazing husband, brother, uncle, and family was his whole world.

His courage and positivity over the last year was remarkable and demonstrated the type of man he was.

Sandy is survived by his beloved wife of 32 years, Denise, his daughters Christine, Kaitlyn, Lauren, and Michele. He is also survived by his parents, Dorothy Fitzgerald Benson and George Scaglione, as well as his sisters Judi-Anne, Donna, and Deborah, and many nieces and nephews.

Visitation will be held from 4-8pm on Monday, July 20, 2020, at Goble Funeral Home 22 Main St., Sparta, NJ 07871. A Funeral Mass will be held at 10:30am Tuesday, July 21, 2020, at Saint Kateri Church 427 Stanhope Sparta Rd., Sparta, NJ 07871

In lieu of flowers, donations in memory of Sandy can be made to research for Merkel Cell Carcinoma at www.merkelcell.org/join-the-fight/

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.

Didn't know Sandy either but sure our paths crossed at one of the game. Condolences with prayers to his family and friends...so young

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
This is a tough one for me.

I've known Sandy for more than 30 years. I was introduced to him by our mutual friend the late Tom Powers, known to many here as Pir8tes. Sandy also provided a bridge to my younger years as he worked at Sony with one of my closest friends from high school.

Back then, Tom, Sandy and their crew would hold court after many home games at a long table in the original Red Robin in Secaucus and I would sometimes join them if I didn't have other plans. Among other things I remember sitting on the bus after the National Championship game with Tom and Sandy in the seats behind me as we commiserated over the stunning loss.

Through the years, through Tom, I became a regular part of their group. We would go out after games for a beer or a bite to eat and enjoyed annual dinners at the Big East Tournament which go on to this day. When we moved to Newark, I moved my seats into the area where those guys sat and eventually the opportunity arose to take the two seats next to their four. For the last 10 years or so, I've sat next to Sandy for almost every home game.

After Tom passed away, Sandy was the one in that group who I grew closest too. We had similar interests and similar temperaments and during the season we probably spent more time together than with the others because we made it to the most games. Sandy was the one who tried to make sure I was included in whatever pre or post game meet-up was happening. When times were tough, Sandy was the first to pick up the check or say put in $20 when the share was closer to $40. During my job search, he was always willing to reach out on my behalf to anyone that might have been able to help me or quick to offer advice.

That's a lot of words to say Sandy was a kind and generous man who was a loyal Pirate. He was a great family man as well and would try to set aside one game a year to bring his wife Denise and four daughters.

I'll miss talking about Pirate basketball and other sports with him and our friends. I'll miss going through the highs and lows of a game and season with him next to me. I'll miss hearing him bellow "Go Pirates!" as loud as he could from the top row of Section 19. Most of all, I'll miss Sandy.

Rest in peace my friend. Go Pirates!

I've known Sandy for more than 30 years. I was introduced to him by our mutual friend the late Tom Powers, known to many here as Pir8tes. Sandy also provided a bridge to my younger years as he worked at Sony with one of my closest friends from high school.

Back then, Tom, Sandy and their crew would hold court after many home games at a long table in the original Red Robin in Secaucus and I would sometimes join them if I didn't have other plans. Among other things I remember sitting on the bus after the National Championship game with Tom and Sandy in the seats behind me as we commiserated over the stunning loss.

Through the years, through Tom, I became a regular part of their group. We would go out after games for a beer or a bite to eat and enjoyed annual dinners at the Big East Tournament which go on to this day. When we moved to Newark, I moved my seats into the area where those guys sat and eventually the opportunity arose to take the two seats next to their four. For the last 10 years or so, I've sat next to Sandy for almost every home game.

After Tom passed away, Sandy was the one in that group who I grew closest too. We had similar interests and similar temperaments and during the season we probably spent more time together than with the others because we made it to the most games. Sandy was the one who tried to make sure I was included in whatever pre or post game meet-up was happening. When times were tough, Sandy was the first to pick up the check or say put in $20 when the share was closer to $40. During my job search, he was always willing to reach out on my behalf to anyone that might have been able to help me or quick to offer advice.

That's a lot of words to say Sandy was a kind and generous man who was a loyal Pirate. He was a great family man as well and would try to set aside one game a year to bring his wife Denise and four daughters.

I'll miss talking about Pirate basketball and other sports with him and our friends. I'll miss going through the highs and lows of a game and season with him next to me. I'll miss hearing him bellow "Go Pirates!" as loud as he could from the top row of Section 19. Most of all, I'll miss Sandy.

This is a beautiful testament to a good man and faithful Pirate.

Sandy Scaglione

I did not know Sandy that well but many on this board did. To them, along with Sandy's family, I grieve for you all.

P0036923-1_20200718.jpgx

Sparta - Santo (Sandy) Scaglione, 58 of Sparta, NJ passed away on July 16, 2020 after fighting a tough battle with cancer. He was born on May 31, 1962 in The Bronx, New York. He grew up in Rockaway, NJ, graduated from Morris Knolls High School, and attended Seton Hall University. Sandy married the love of his life, Denise Rudolph Scaglione, in 1988 and they moved to Sparta, NJ where they raised their four daughters.

He worked at Sony Corporation for 30 years, where he started as a business controller and ultimately became a Vice President of Finance and Operations. He finished his career at AGFA Corporation. Sandy had such a passion for sports. He was a devoted Seton Hall Pirates Basketball fan and attended every home game. And as a lifelong Yankees fan, he passed along his love for baseball to his daughters. He was on the Board of Directors for Sparta Girls Softball and coached their teams for many years. Above all else, there was nothing more important to Sandy than his four girls. He was a devoted father and their number one fan. He was an amazing husband, brother, uncle, and family was his whole world.

His courage and positivity over the last year was remarkable and demonstrated the type of man he was.

Sandy is survived by his beloved wife of 32 years, Denise, his daughters Christine, Kaitlyn, Lauren, and Michele. He is also survived by his parents, Dorothy Fitzgerald Benson and George Scaglione, as well as his sisters Judi-Anne, Donna, and Deborah, and many nieces and nephews.

Visitation will be held from 4-8pm on Monday, July 20, 2020, at Goble Funeral Home 22 Main St., Sparta, NJ 07871. A Funeral Mass will be held at 10:30am Tuesday, July 21, 2020, at Saint Kateri Church 427 Stanhope Sparta Rd., Sparta, NJ 07871

In lieu of flowers, donations in memory of Sandy can be made to research for Merkel Cell Carcinoma at www.merkelcell.org/join-the-fight/

Condolences to all who knew and loved him.

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. May he Rest In Peace.

Wow, I worked with his wife, I never knew Sandy or his love for Pirate basketball but his wife is a great person. RIP Sandy.

Very sad. Condolences to family and friends.
Hall 87- sorry to hear of your loss of a close friend.

I worked with Denise as well and got to know Sandy over the years. This is just awful news. My condolences to Denise and the kids. Sandy was as much a Pirate fan as I’ve ever seen and such a terrific person. God rest his soul.

One of our Trove writers will be donating his pay for a story to SHU in the name of Sandy.

If anyone else wants to do the same please reach out to Michael Engemann, 732-687-4670 as we did with 49ers upon his passing last week.

This is a fantastic homage to what was obviously a fantastic guy.

One question: Was he the really tall guy?

A truly great guy was Sandy. I have known him since his first job out of SHU and we started going to games together at the Ice rink of all places.he became part of the crew that got tickets together with with Tom (Pit8tes) and Dave and I. I moved to Vegas 25 years ago but stayed in touch with them and I know they loved their SHU Basketball. Sandy and I roomed at the final 4 together and met Hank D'Alessandro there

Sandy Scaglione

P0036923-1_20200718.jpgx

Terrible, Terrible news. RIP Sandy, and sincere condolences to his whole family. This kind of bad news always gets to me.

It's just been brought to my attention that vegaspaul82 has made a substantial donation in Sandy's name to Pirate Blue.

Paul has always been one of the first members of this board to help financially support the school by honoring those that he befriended, and today he did it again.

What a great way to honor Sandy!

Another prominent poster here who does not want his name mentioned has just matched Paul's donation, which again is substantial.

The one difference is that said poster has requested that his donation go to the practice facility.

I will be writing an article, actually two next week for the Trove. When I write articles I do not pay myself. This time it will be different as I will take the money usually paid to our writers and donate it to the school in the name of Sandy for the practice facility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT