ADVERTISEMENT

Any Garden State residents go vote early today

I don't understand the point of voting early, unless you'll be out of town on election day.

Reactions: HALL85
I don't understand the point of voting early, unless you'll be out of town on election day.
maybe some polling places are madhouses and don't work with peoples schedules?

what is the real aversion to making voting over a few days?

Reactions: Merge
maybe some polling places are madhouses and don't work with peoples schedules?

what is the real aversion to making voting over a few days?

Exactly. Make it easy and accessible. In some locations it gets really busy on Election Day. Early voting decreases the volume on the day of the election and gives more opportunity for people who can’t get off work or whatever else they may have going on.

Exactly. Make it easy and accessible. In some locations it gets really busy on Election Day. Early voting decreases the volume on the day of the election and gives more opportunity for people who can’t get off work or whatever else they may have going on.
its really hard for the people here to understand their life is not what everyone else's life is like.

Reactions: Merge and Robot_Man
its really hard for the people here to understand their life is not what everyone else's life is like.
It's really hard for me to understand that people see it as an inconvenience to just go on election day. People figured it out for a couple centuries. It's a process many people in the world can only dream of having, but to have one day to do it isn't good enough here. We're entitled to do it on our own time. It's a right and a privilege, just not one worth sacrificing our daily lives for. I'd bet there's parts of the world that would love election hour because they have no say. You know it's election day more than a few years in advance, you can plan for it. Tuesday November 7, 2028 is the next presidential election after this one. If you have to sacrifice something else to vote on election day, sacrifice it. I guarantee people will sacrifice many things to go to a sporting event, see a play, watch their kids play. Sacrifice something to vote...no. Can't stand on line for 3 hours, but will go home and sit in front of the tv for 6 hours.

Last edited:
It's really hard for me to understand that people see it as an inconvenience to just go on election day. People figured it out for a couple centuries. It's a process many people in the world can only dream of having, but to have one day to do it isn't good enough here. We're entitled to do it on our own time. You know it's election day more than a few years in advance, you can plan for it. Tuesday November 7, 2028 is the next presidential election after this one. If you have to sacrifice something else to vote on election day, sacrifice it. I guarantee people will sacrifice many things to go to a sporting event, see a play, watch their kids play. Sacrifice something to vote...no.

Other countries hold their vote on a weekend to make it easier.
Those who don't vote on a weekend, make voting day a national holiday or mandate that employees be given time off to vote.

Instead of doing any of the that, we allow for early voting in most states.

It should not be a sacrifice. There are millions of voters in the US who wait longer than 30 minutes to vote. In some areas it can take waiting on lines for hours which is insane. We should be looking for ways to decrease the time it takes to vote and you want to increase it?

Reactions: Robot_Man
Other countries hold their vote on a weekend to make it easier.
Those who don't vote on a weekend, make voting day a national holiday or mandate that employees be given time off to vote.

Instead of doing any of the that, we allow for early voting in most states.

It should not be a sacrifice. There are millions of voters in the US who wait longer than 30 minutes to vote. In some areas it can take waiting on lines for hours which is insane. We should be looking for ways to decrease the time it takes to vote and you want to increase it?
I'm not looking to increase anything. If you think elections are run super efficiently you're nuts. WOW wait as long as 30 minutes. You sound like a spoiled rich kid. Don't be that guy. You probably wait longer to get a table at some good restaurants. People wait outside the prudential center longer for the doors to open before some games. You wait longer at the DMV. For the presidential race it's once every 4 years, you can't suck it up to reduce the risks associated with a longer election period such as increase chances of misplaced ballots. You're voting for Harris, I'm not but at the same time I hope your ballot is counted and not misplaced or destroyed between now and election day.

Do you not agree, the longer something goes on the more risk there is? Ballots just sitting there for a week or two nothing could happen to them. None will be misplaced. Even you have to admit, it may not be a huge number, but ballots will be lost or accidentally ruined. Aren't you the minimize risk guy?

Last edited:
I'm not looking to increase anything. If you think elections are run super efficiently you're nuts. WOW wait as long as 30 minutes. You sound like a spoiled rich kid. Don't be that guy. You probably wait longer to get a table at some good restaurants. People wait outside the prudential center longer for the doors to open before some games. You wait longer at the DMV. For the presidential race it's once every 4 years, you can't suck it up to reduce the risks associated with a longer election period such as increase chances of misplaced ballots. You're voting for Harris, I'm not but at the same time I hope your ballot is counted and not misplaced or destroyed between now and election day.

Do you not agree, the longer something goes on the more risk there is? Ballots just sitting there for a week or two nothing could happen to them. None will be misplaced. Even you have to admit, it may not be a huge number, but ballots will be lost or accidentally ruined. Aren't you the minimize risk guy?
In NJ if you go to an early voting center your ballot is processed right after you casted your vote.

Part of the reason for early voting is that it's harder to get volunteers at the polling locations. Personally, I like going to vote the day of the election and be an active part of the process. I can see opening polls for a few days prior to election day, but early voting in October seems ripe for problems. What if Biden's meltdown happened after people had started voting?

What we should be more concerned with is being able to accurately count and report results. Pennsylvania for instance does not start counting mail-in votes until 7 am on election day, which pretty much ensures that they will not be calling a winner for a few days. That's unacceptable and causes people to question the process.

And of course we should have a universal voter I.D.. No reason not to.

There was an issue that's come up with multiple ballots in Lancaster County that is being addressed. It was caught, but if we had a lock-down ID process, we wouldn't be having to investigate and have potential fraud.

'm not looking to increase anything. If you think elections are run super efficiently you're nuts. WOW wait as long as 30 minutes. You sound like a spoiled rich kid. Don't be that guy.

I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes to vote. I'm spoiled and able to recognize that my experience should be the norm across the country, but it is not. For many voters like minorities, older voters, rural voters, and voters with disabilities where they have far fewer polling locations, it makes it difficult for people to vote with very long lines. That should not be the case.

You probably wait longer to get a table at some good restaurants.

I've also walked away from restaurants when the wait was longer than they initially told me.
I've missed Seton Hall games that I had tickets to because of something that happened at work.
You wait longer at the DMV

Actually don't because you can do things by mail now, and make appointments etc.

Indeed I am.
Though I don't buy that argument as significant enough to outweigh the risk of people not being able to vote on election day if it was only 1 weekday available to vote. I want more voter participation, not less.
I'll be traveling next week so I received a mail in ballot and dropped it off at a drop box. I am not worried about my vote being counted.

You saying this made me think of this banger of a post from a couple months ago.

Post in thread 'Free NJ transit for ONE WEEK' https://setonhall.forums.rivals.com/threads/free-nj-transit-for-one-week.66109/post-1087749
went to nyc for a visit last week. two things i noticed.

1) city was amazing, safe, just like before pandemic. didnt miss a beat.

2) NJ transit was packed.

if you just read this board you would think nj transit is a struggling org that can't get riders to visit the decrepit wasteland that is nyc.

It's really hard for me to understand that people see it as an inconvenience to just go on election day. People figured it out for a couple centuries. It's a process many people in the world can only dream of having, but to have one day to do it isn't good enough here. We're entitled to do it on our own time. It's a right and a privilege, just not one worth sacrificing our daily lives for. I'd bet there's parts of the world that would love election hour because they have no say. You know it's election day more than a few years in advance, you can plan for it. Tuesday November 7, 2028 is the next presidential election after this one. If you have to sacrifice something else to vote on election day, sacrifice it. I guarantee people will sacrifice many things to go to a sporting event, see a play, watch their kids play. Sacrifice something to vote...no. Can't stand on line for 3 hours, but will go home and sit in front of the tv for 6 hours.
we all know it's very hard for you to understand

you guys shout troll when you get called out for your ridiculous BS.

this entire thread is an example of how you literally dont understand that life can be different for other people. the words came out of your mouth.
What BS did you call out, you just made a troll comment.

Other than medical emergencies, people can plan 4 years in advance. You haven't told me how they can't.

Can't stand on line for 3 hours, but will go home and sit in front of the tv for 6 hours.
I know this is just a hypothetical you brought up, but waiting hours in line to vote shouldn't happen.

Yet despite all the alternatives to voting in person on election day, which it appears some people on here want to get rid of, curtail, or at least question why they exist, waiting hours in line to vote does happen in America.

I know this is just a hypothetical you brought up, but waiting hours in line to vote shouldn't happen.

Yet despite all the alternatives to voting in person on election day, which it appears some people on here want to get rid of, curtail, or at least question why they exist, waiting hours in line to vote does happen in America.
Fully aware. I had to wait an hour and a half after Sandy to vote and I’m alive and well to tell you all about it.

Dropped off our mail in ballots while my in law went in person early to save time before our busy day. We should all have a chance at voting at our convenience

Reactions: Merge and Robot_Man
Until it is a national Holiday, there are people who do not have your flexibility and would not be able to wait that long.

Voting should be easy an accessible for everyone.
And there are people who do not have your trust in the postal system or the election process itself. The longer voting is allowed the more games can be played. I've heard stories from people with political ties about helping elderly people vote and then when they brought the ballots in, removing certain ballots because they knew who the elderly person posted for. These stories may be 60-70 years old, but I'm not as bullish as you that the system is clean.

Agreed, but more important than accessible is free from fraud.

And there are people who do not have your trust in the postal system or the election process itself. The longer voting is allowed the more games can be played. I've heard stories from people with political ties about helping elderly people vote and then when they brought the ballots in, removing certain ballots because they knew who the elderly person posted for. These stories may be 60-70 years old, but I'm not as bullish as you that the system is clean.

Whether or not you voted is public record. I dropped my ballot off yesterday and it was received today. Things like ballots not being delivered could be caught easily and we will always be susceptible to that type of risk since at some point in your life, standing in line to vote won't be an option for you.

If you don't trust the postal system, drop it off at a ballot box yourself.
If you don't trust mail in ballots in general, vote in person early.
If you don't trust early voting, show up on election day.

Lots of options for any trust issues you may have.

Whether or not you voted is public record. I dropped my ballot off yesterday and it was received today. Things like ballots not being delivered could be caught easily and we will always be susceptible to that type of risk since at some point in your life, standing in line to vote won't be an option for you.

If you don't trust the postal system, drop it off at a ballot box yourself.
If you don't trust mail in ballots in general, vote in person early.
If you don't trust early voting, show up on election day.

Lots of options for any trust issues you may have.
An individuals trust in the system has nothing to do with their own individual ballot and which method they should use to vote for himself or herself. It's how it can be manipulated by many ballots to alter things. So many things can go wrong without showing up and without voter ID. Literally some 15 year old can drop off their grandparents mail in ballot which their grandparents never got their hands on with a good forged signature.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT