ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn, Kentucky, SEC overrated

It was weird for me. I really like Samuel. He was a standup guy at the Hall and well liked by everyone. But I could not root for Florida as they stole Samuel from us. Imagine how good we would have been if he stayed?

So I rooted for the player to play well, but I also wanted Florida to lose.

I'm sure other schools who we stole players from feel the same way toward us.

It was weird for me. I really like Samuel. He was a standup guy at the Hall and well liked by everyone. But I could not root for Florida as they stole Samuel from us. Imagine how good we would have been if he stayed?

And I’m sure Syracuse, Clemson, Louisville and SJU fans feel the same way about players we “stole” from them. Such is the state of college basketball.

Reactions: chickenbox

I felt the same way seeing Samuel for the first time in Gator colors. Same player as he was at Setonia. Did a lot of really good things that made you go wow and then reverted back to reaching instead of moving his feet on D and floating around the perimeter. Felt I was watching the same guy. Never reached the pinnacle of heights that I thought he would achieve. What could of been. A good/very good career that could have been so much more.

Kind of like Seton Hall?

Kentucky did beat UNC this season.
Please continue to tell us how we don't understand the selection and seeding process as the actual play in the tourney is proving what many on this board and college basketball experts have thought - the Committee may have done the worst selection and seeding job in the history of the tournament.

Oh yeah - the Big East deserved at least 5 and after the last 2 days, probably 6 bids this year.
And I’m sure Syracuse, Clemson, Louisville and SJU fans feel the same way about players we “stole” from them. Such is the state of college basketball.
Pitino bounced the roster and then blasted Soriano and now the only other holdover entered the portal.

Please continue to tell us how we don't understand the selection and seeding process as the actual play in the tourney is proving what many on this board and college basketball experts have thought - the Committee may have done the worst selection and seeding job in the history of the tournament.

Oh yeah - the Big East deserved at least 5 and after the last 2 days, probably 6 bids this year.

Pitino bounced the roster and then blasted Soriano and now the only other holdover entered the portal.

Tournament play proves nothing about worthiness. The tournament is a crapshoot. Worthiness is decided by what you did from November until the conference tournaments.

Reactions: da0987
Tournament play proves nothing about worthiness. The tournament is a crapshoot. Worthiness is decided by what you did from November until the conference tournaments.
Yes, that is the line the Committee uses when the selections and seeding is awful.

It is also the line of thinking the football schools use to eliminate mid majors and now the Big East from the tourney.

The NET and other metrics cannot determine worthiness on their own. The Committee maipulated the system and applied different criteria to different teams. You still dont get it.

Results matter. We played 6 games this year against teams that won by an average of 25 points in the first round, when upsets abound.

Keep defending the metric based system and Committtee.

Your wanna be Billy Packer act is tiresome. But, at least Packer was objective.

well beoheim did release a statement on kadary. he wasn't too upset. i dont think wusu was asked back. clemson a 6 seed right now... the hall is typically a destination for disgruntled power 6 players. its the lower leagues that have it tough.

Reactions: hallwins
5 SEC teams upset and the Mountain Wedt Conference performance are not crapshoots.

Yes, that is the line the Committee uses when the selections and seeding is awful.

It is also the line of thinking the football schools use to eliminate mid majors and now the Big East from the tourney.

The NET and other metrics cannot determine worthiness on their own. The Committee maipulated the system and applied different criteria to different teams. You still dont get it.

Results matter. We played 6 games this year against teams that won by an average of 25 points in the first round, when upsets abound.

The NET does NOT determine worthiness! The NET only affects seeding. You just do not deal in facts because you have an agenda that you think Seton Hall was intentionally kept out for reasons unknown.

Seton Hall was IN when the committee you bash so much initially created the bracket. Remember the tweet from NCAA's Worlock? Said 35 of 36 at-larges had been voted into the field PRIOR to the end of conference tournaments. Seton Hall was one of those 35. Seton Hall got bumped because of the abnormally high number of bid thieves. That's called contingency bracketing, also a standard part of the selection process. But people like you have spent an entire week living in fantasy land and crying to mommy.

This happens to teams every time there are bid thieves. Grow up, get over it, and try to make the tournament next year.

Last edited:
SJU kicked Dylan to the curb. Happy to have him and hope he comes back next year.

Reactions: Halldan1
The NET does NOT determine worthiness! The NET only affects seeding. You just do not deal in facts because you have an agenda that you think Seton Hall was intentionally kept out for reasons unknown.

Seton Hall was IN when the committee you bash so much initially created the bracket. Remember the tweet from NCAA's Worlock? Said 35 of 36 at-larges had been voted into the field PRIOR to the end of conference tournaments. Seton Hall was one of those 35. Seton Hall got bumped because of the abnormally high number of bid thieves. That's called contingency bracketing, also a standard part of the selection process. But people like you have spent an entire week living in fantasy land and crying to mommy.

This happens to teams every time there are bid thieves. Grow up, get over it, and try to make the tournament next year.
I answered your take on this twice already over the last few weeks. The NET played a function in selection. My issue wi us being so close to the cut line and then using an injury to justify the decision.

I will ask again. When have you ever heard the committee chair devalue a win because a player played 5 minutes less than his season average in one game when the team lost 3 times all year?

You think we landed with the best at large teams available in the field? Do you really think that is the case? Keep SetonHall out of that discussion.

Last edited:
I answered your take on this twice already over the last few weeks. The NET played a function in selection. My issue wi us being so close to the cut line and then using an injury to justify the decision.

I do agree using the Clingan second half injury is kind of lame and they probably should have offered some consideration for the Richmond "injury" against Providence. But that's a game we should have won anyway, up 10 in the second half. Bad job by us. @ Marquette we'd have lost anyway.

Seton Hall was close to the cut line because of awful non-conference performance. The season isn't 20 games from mid-December to early March. It's 30+ games from November to March. Our team wasn't ready to play for the first one third of the season, and it cost them a bid in the end. Had they performed even just average in the non-conference, they'd have been well above the cut line (even with bid stealers).

If NET played a function in selection, then Indiana State (NET 28), St. John's (32), and Pitt (40) would have made it over the likes of South Carolina (51), Northwestern (53), and Virginia (54).

SJU kicked Dylan to the curb. Happy to have him and hope he comes back next year.
But the point is how the fans of the team he left feels. You think SJU fans were thrilled how Wusu played in the two regular season games? You think they were rooting for him?

If Sha tells Richmond we can’t afford him and Pitino can, are you going to feel good about that?

The NET absolutely was the reason the Hall didn’t get a bid. The torny was set Thursday. The Hall because of their NET alone was 1st of the last four in, destined for Dayton.

When the bid steals happened simply peeled off the bottom teams. The NET is supposed to be a “sorting” tool, but for the Hall it functioned as the reason they didn’t get in.

The committee did not take a step back and reassess.

While the BE did get screwed, the theme on this board by many every time a team loses is that they didn’t deserve to be in tourney is ludicrous. After 1st two days, 32 teams have lost and the fun of the tourney is the higher seeds are not always the “better” team in that single game.

Also Michigan St was target of many on this board on Sunday and Monday, but haven’t seen them mentioned once after they won the game.

Can’t we all just move on that SHU got a raw deal and hope SHU keeps playing well in NIT and enjoy the NCAA tourney?

Reactions: Jerry1992
Legitimate question and it may have been answered already. Don’t they use the quad system? And the quads are determined by NET? So indirectly or not the NET is used?

Legitimate question and it may have been answered already. Don’t they use the quad system? And the quads are determined by NET? So indirectly or not the NET is used?

Maybe at a high level, but Virginia with 2 Q1 wins, it's hard to think it plays a major role.

For me, the frustrating part is that all games were not equal over the course of the season. The committee looked at OOC games is it's own metric. We crapped the bed OOC, and there wasn't room to correct that over a teams that we outplayed the rest of the season.

And who did we beat out of conference?

BTW, Auburn actually beat USC and both Auburn and Fla played Baylor much closer
nobody as well, but it only mattered for us. that's my whole point. committee picking and choosing reasons why we shouldn't be in and dismissing them for other teams.

What's clear about the selection process is that while a TEAM can't game the NET and the selection process, a conference can. Multiple coaches from the ACC and Big East have explicitly called this out.

I forget the source, but of the ~16 teams playing 5+ teams with NETs or Kenpoms over 300, I think 8 were in the Big 12. Meaning that it's an intentional strategy. This is the same Big 12 that has kinda surprisingly emerged as a winner in the realignment game (look at what they did to the Pac 12). So they're on top of things.

Forget about the Big East for a second.

The ACC and the Pac 12, two conferences that are NOT on top of things, and also did not successfully game the NET, have outperformed (as of Round 1) relative to the Big 12 and Mountain West.

The NET does determine worthiness if a conference conspires to keep its collective NET high for the benefit of the other teams.

So you get teams like TCU, who played NOBODY in the nonconference, then played a bunch of teams that also played NOBODY in the nonconference, and got rewarded with an 8-seed. Then they promptly get pasted in the first round.

TCU's nonconf schedule. Look at those first five games lol.
  • October 30, 2023: Texas Wesleyan, W 98–61
  • November 6, 2023: Southern, W 108–75
  • November 9, 2023: Omaha, W 82–60
  • November 14, 2023: UT Rio Grande Valley, W 88–55
  • November 17, 2023: Mississippi Valley State, W 86–52
  • November 21, 2023: Alcorn State, W 93–74
  • November 27, 2023: Houston Christian, W 101–64
  • December 2, 2023: at Georgetown, W 84–83
  • December 16, 2023: vs. Arizona State, W 79–59
  • December 21, 2023: vs. Old Dominion, W 111–87
  • December 24, 2023: at Hawai'i, W 65–51
  • January 1, 2024: Texas A&M–Commerce, W 77–42
If the NCAA's selection process is unchanged, what you basically get is power conference teams playing glorified exhibitions and then like 60% of the conference dances.

This is bad for basketball, partially because you don't get games like in 2009, when Seton Hall went on the road to play a really good Cornell team (which made the Sweet 16 that year).

Really what should be happening is that TCU should be playing SMU, North Texas, Arkansas, Wichita State, and so on in the non-conference.

Seton Hall should be playing Princeton, St. Joe's, Syracuse, Fordham, and so on in the non-conference.

And obviously, as Coach Sha said, teams should not be encouraged to run up the score.

Again - the current selection process basically rewards conferences for conspiring to schedule patsies and beat up on them.

I totally agree and this is a great post by you. That is exactly what happens in CFB.
Anybody who follows me here knows I am the most anti conspiracy theory. Everybody here blames the refs, the time keeper, the TV networks etc. But, this was just terrible by the section committee and the lack of transparency from them is even worse.

They have not been putting the best at large teams in the tournament. For at large bids the tournament has become about these marginal teams from the ACC,B10 and now the MWC it seems getting in.

But the point is how the fans of the team he left feels. You think SJU fans were thrilled how Wusu played in the two regular season games? You think they were rooting for him?

If Sha tells Richmond we can’t afford him and Pitino can, are you going to feel good about that?
Sha isn’t kicking Kadary to the curb, he wants him to stay. Pitino didn’t want Dylan and pushed him out. Big difference!

Sha isn’t kicking Kadary to the curb, he wants him to stay. Pitino didn’t want Dylan and pushed him out. Big difference!
You’re not getting the point. Not what the coach does, but how the fans feel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT