ADVERTISEMENT

Bring the Energy

Sorry, this comes across dumb to me. There's nothing wrong with hoping our fans continue to step up. If you think that what's happening now is good enough, than that's on you and I'm sorry to say it just really isn't. We take so much pride in our school and our team and we expect both to be the best, yet we don't seem to have the same expectation for our fan base.

We're supposed to be satisfied now because we're supposed to remember what it was like to have 1,800 people for a Tuesday night game? That's like saying we should be happy we're eating PB&J for dinner every night because 5 years ago we were eating crackers. Of course we should be happy for improvement, but why is this our ceiling?

Is it wrong for wanting our fan base to continue to do better?
Bravo, perfectly said.

source.gif

Im being aggressive with this because we can make a difference, this is our year!

I really am getting tired of people complaining about the fans. I have been a season ticket holder since 1981 and this is the best year we have had since the 1990’s. The crowds have been loud and boisterous. In fact I have gone on the road with the team and we usually have a great supportive crowd on the road. Lastly, the players themselves have mentioned how great the crowd has been after several games. Please stop looking for negatives and enjoy the ride. It does not happen often.

I really agree. The SHU crowd and atmosphere are much better than they used to be. Yes you still have a segment of the crowd who don’t engage fully, but even that portion don’t sit back as much. Most of the crowd wear SHU merchandise these days. The bottom line is we will face the upper tier of the BigEast in the next 5 weeks at home..That place will rock.

I really agree. The SHU crowd and atmosphere are much better than they used to be. Yes you still have a segment of the crowd who don’t engage fully, but even that portion don’t sit back as much. Most of the crowd wear SHU merchandise these days. The bottom line is we will face the upper tier of the BigEast in the next 5 weeks at home..That place will rock.
Yup folks we did it, most the crowd wears shu stuff now. What a content finish line.

Some of you guys are missing the point or taking this the wrong way. This isn’t a criticism of fans being totally unacceptable when it comes to getting into the game; I’m talking about turning it up a notch and doing even more. Yes, the crowds have been good this year - and the second half of the DePaul game was great. But why is there such animosity towards wanting the ENTIRE game to be as loud as those final 8 minutes were on Wednesday?! The announcers (Brian Custer!) were the ones highlighting how quiet it was to start the game though I don’t agree that it was as bad as they claimed, just that there wasn’t much energy in the stands. We have the #10 team in the country. Fan support has been so much better this year but lots of sitting on hands is happening until things get dicey.

All I’m saying is let’s bring the energy even more than we have in the most recent several games and make the Rock an even tougher place to play. This team deserves that much, not only the crowd lifting the team when they’re in a tough spot - which we have been doing VERY WELL this year! This isn’t a negative thing, guys. This is a great place to be in and room for us to grow and help the team even more.

good point. who is in charge of the student section?

youre spot on. S H U. or SETON > HALL. Students say seton, crowd says hall. why cant we have video on the big screen help out? even a 10s video "hey pirate fans when we say seton, you say hall"

thats something that can stick easy.

This x100!!!

Yes, general attendance has been great. Certainly the student section attendance has been the best I can remember in a long time. All we're saying is if you're going to come to the game, why not make some noise? Especially the students! Your school is #10 in the country- that's worth making noise about! It's just frustrates me to no end that everyone goes nuts for a free McCloone's t-shirt but when the game starts, they watch silently with folded arms. We expect the students playing the game to bring it every night. Is it wrong to expect the same from the people in the stands?

Some of you guys are missing the point or taking this the wrong way. This isn’t a criticism of fans being totally unacceptable when it comes to getting into the game; I’m talking about turning it up a notch and doing even more. Yes, the crowds have been good this year - and the second half of the DePaul game was great. But why is there such animosity towards wanting the ENTIRE game to be as loud as those final 8 minutes were on Wednesday?! The announcers (Brian Custer!) were the ones highlighting how quiet it was to start the game though I don’t agree that it was as bad as they claimed, just that there wasn’t much energy in the stands. We have the #10 team in the country. Fan support has been so much better this year but lots of sitting on hands is happening until things get dicey.

All I’m saying is let’s bring the energy even more than we have in the most recent several games and make the Rock an even tougher place to play. This team deserves that much, not only the crowd lifting the team when they’re in a tough spot - which we have been doing VERY WELL this year! This isn’t a negative thing, guys. This is a great place to be in and room for us to grow and help the team even more.
When our golden boy announcer rightfully calls out the fans on live tv, theres no where to hide. Time to face it and dont ever let anyone call the fans out again.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
The crowd was definitely sluggish vs depaul and picked up at the end of the game. The previous 3-4 seasons it seamed like we fed off the raucous student section, this year the section seems a tad subdued even tho they have been showing up in droves

The 49 or so whistles (I think it was more than 1 whistle a minute) ruins the flow of the game and takes the crowd out of the game. Add in the 40 combined turnovers and you have a pretty disjointed affair. Can't really blame the fans. I sense that the crowds this year are waiting to explode at any time.... and when we came back to take and extend the lead.... they did.

I hate excuses when it comes to day and times of games but if you have kids that play basketball it’s almost impossible to go to tomorrow’s game at 11. Will be very interesting to see what the actual attendance is. I’m sure there are plenty of others in the same boat tomorrow.

Yup folks we did it, most the crowd wears shu stuff now. What a content finish line.
Surprised you have time to listen to the crowd on tv when you’re busy on the game thread. I can certainly say our section is loud all game, don’t know what it sounds like on tv.

Last edited:
The “defense” chant that was piped in at The Rock during the DePaul game was a new one this year. Interestingly the crowd also seemed to respond to the YMCA being played.

We need whoever controls the music and video to help with the crowd enthusiasm. They do a great job during the Devils games, but my guess is a different person works each Seton Hall game. Unlike a good DJ, they don’t have a designated person reading the crowd and building up a list of options to help get the crowd going.

Sorry, this comes across dumb to me. There's nothing wrong with hoping our fans continue to step up. If you think that what's happening now is good enough, than that's on you and I'm sorry to say it just really isn't. We take so much pride in our school and our team and we expect both to be the best, yet we don't seem to have the same expectation for our fan base.

We're supposed to be satisfied now because we're supposed to remember what it was like to have 1,800 people for a Tuesday night game? That's like saying we should be happy we're eating PB&J for dinner every night because 5 years ago we were eating crackers. Of course we should be happy for improvement, but why is this our ceiling?

Is it wrong for wanting our fan base to continue to do better?

How can our crowds be better? They've been phenomenal. They get loud, they rally the team when they need to be rallied such as the other night. Countless times over the last few years I've been on my feet with the rest of the fans cheering for a defensive stop. What more do you want from a fan base? Our fans are intense.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and LBP43
How can our crowds be better? They've been phenomenal. They get loud, they rally the team when they need to be rallied such as the other night. Countless times over the last few years I've been on my feet with the rest of the fans cheering for a defensive stop. What more do you want from a fan base? Our fans are intense.
To cheer that loudly for the entire game and not just in spurts. Like other blue blood programs!

To cheer that loudly for the entire game and not just in spurts. Like other blue blood programs!

We're not a blue blood program. Big difference. I think we get great crowds/fans for being a small school in a pro sports market. We have a good thing going, let's not try to cheapen it.

Reactions: SHUMA04
We're not a blue blood program. Big difference. I think we get great crowds/fans for being a small school in a pro sports market. We have a good thing going, let's not try to cheapen it.
So wanting to have an even better in game atmosphere is cheapening it? Uhh okay. Yes we do have good fans. But why not be even better????

So wanting to have an even better in game atmosphere is cheapening it? Uhh okay. Yes we do have good fans. But why not be even better????

I just don't see how it can get much better than it already is. I guess we could sell out the entire arena for most games, but that's still a long way off.

I just don't see how it can get much better than it already is. I guess we could sell out the entire arena for most games, but that's still a long way off.
That’s what I’m saying here. By getting up and loud from the beginning and not having a repeat of the DePaul game. Look at the second half against DePaul, our game at Butler, and every time we play Villanova in Philly. That’s what I’m talking about. Bringing that kind of energy thru the whole game!

That’s what I’m saying here. By getting up and loud from the beginning and not having a repeat of the DePaul game. Look at the second half against DePaul, our game at Butler, and every time we play Villanova in Philly. That’s what I’m talking about. Bringing that kind of energy thru the whole game!

Villanova (especially at Wells Fargo) is a wine and cheese crowd.

Were you at the game? Just wondering, because often the posters who say things like "crowd wasn't great, etc,," are watching on TV.

Also, people on this board cheer loud and hard for the Hall in the good and bad years, most on here are diehards, so even if the crowd needs to get better, this is the wrong crowd as these are most likely not the people not making enough noise.

Again - Rutgers isn't a blue blood program. Neither is Villanova. Both within a short drive. We say we're a better program and fanbase than one, and that we aspire to be the other. But let's not try and cheapen ourselves by asking our own fanbase to do what both of theirs do.

Omg. You know what I am talking about. Replace them with Gonzaga, even Rutgers now

No, I don't know what you're talking about. Have you ever been to a Villanova game in South Philly? I have.

Again - Rutgers isn't a blue blood program. Neither is Villanova. Both within a short drive. We say we're a better program and fanbase than one, and that we aspire to be the other. But let's not try and cheapen ourselves by asking our own fanbase to do what both of theirs do.

Citing Rutgers, really? That place was a morgue for 15 years before this season.

Lol read the entire thread... do u live in a shu bubble. Our fans are so good that a guy who has seen us win 25x talks about how dead it is on live tv. Amazing.

wow, you were on ur feet for one big moment a game? Where do they hand out best fanbase award??

How can our crowd be better LOL my god we got the think small train full steam

Were you at the game? Just wondering, because often the posters who say things like "crowd wasn't great, etc,," are watching on TV.

Also, people on this board cheer loud and hard for the Hall in the good and bad years, most on here are diehards, so even if the crowd needs to get better, this is the wrong crowd as these are most likely not the people not making enough noise.
I was there, like every other game, and up and cheering loudly throughout. Crowds are fluid, once some bring the energy it’ll ripple through the rest and get going. If we make a concerted effort to be even more into the game then guess what, the whole arena will almost certainly follow.

Lol read the entire thread... do u live in a shu bubble. Our fans are so good that a guy who has seen us win 25x talks about how dead it is on live tv. Amazing.

wow, you were on ur feet for one big moment a game? Where do they hand out best fanbase award??

I don't watch our home games on TV because I actually go to them.

No question Rutgers games at RAC get very loud, but I have also been to games where they play bad where it is dead.

But the way the RAC is designed, it is going to be loud, low roof, fans right on top of the action. Same thing with Hinkle or Cameron.

We play in a pro arena so unless you get the place near full, including the upper decks, just not going to be as loud as smaller arena or places like UK or Creighton where they get 14K+, just common sense.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Citing Rutgers, really? That place was a morgue for 15 years before this season.
And look at them this year. Think the announcers for their games are saying they’ve never heard the arena that quiet in their best year in decades?? It’s funny to get texts from family who are watching the game out of state on TV about the announcers talking about our crowd, which is what happened in the DePaul game.

I can’t believe how much of a problem it is to encourage everyone to give even more energy for our team. They have won 10 in a row! It’s not asking much at all! Geez. Saying we can do more and wanting to give our #10 Seton Hall Pirates an even better home court advantage shouldn’t be such a controversial statement.

wow, you were on ur feet for one big moment a game? Where do they hand out best fanbase award?? Shu09 ur really throwing out some small brain comments here. Even after dozens of suggestions and comments stating how we can be better, you still dont know how we can be better?

and what dont u get that the size of the crowd is not everything? Ur really stuck on it. Hell we can still have a better crowd!! Get to nova status. But its not even about the size, its how you use it. Wow we had 9k corpses in the building today! Youre making yourself look like the leader of the “sitting in my seat is good enough” crowd. Our crowd has been nowhere NEAR what Rutgers was like vs us.

Yes, cheapening ourselves by wanting a better home court advantage. How low of us.

No reason we can’t become a blue blood. It’s up to us!

I don't watch our home games on TV because I actually go to them.
Im commenting on my experience at them as well. Youre a hack. Promoting complacency. Thats what bad fans do.

Youre not a good crowd getting called out on live tv for being dead. Its objective. We dont cheer unless the team does someinf great. What have u done for me lately attitude. And to think u cant even grasp how to make it better!!

think small at shu09s hall!!

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT