ADVERTISEMENT

Bring the Energy

Well, all of you talking about "cheapening" the product can keep quiet and stay seated tomorrow if you like. I'll be there like always, cheering loudly, getting up for this team from the tip, and trying to boost the energy in the stands. I'd rather not just wait around again until the game looks ugly before getting loud. If you think that's silly and we're doing enough as it is, okay. But I'll be giving the team even more energy and support in the stands, because they've earned it.

Well, all of you talking about "cheapening" the product can keep quiet and stay seated tomorrow if you like. I'll be there like always, cheering loudly, getting up for this team from the tip, and trying to boost the energy in the stands. I'd rather not just wait around again until the game looks ugly before getting loud. If you think that's silly and we're doing enough as it is, okay. But I'll be giving the team even more energy and support in the stands, because they've earned it.

You will be "giving" the team energy? Should the team have energy?

It's on us to "give" them energy?

You will be "giving" the team energy? Should the team have energy?

It's on us to "give" them energy?
Yep. If you have ever read or heard comments from the coaches and players after our games, you should know how much being loud and cheering throughout the game helps them. That is what is called "home court advantage". It is a real thing, believe it or not.

The coaches and players have to get themselves ready to play and have energy on the court. But we can, and should, give it to them from the stands too. It's not that strange of a concept, I would think.

Yep. If you have ever read or heard comments from the coaches and players after our games, you should know how much being loud and cheering throughout the game helps them. That is what is called "home court advantage". It is a real thing, believe it or not.

Ah. So the players can just chill and let the crowd give them a purpose to be there. Okay.

Ill show up to work on Monday and tell my boss I expect a cheering section to make me want to put in a better effort.

Ah. So the players can just chill and let the crowd give them a purpose to be there. Okay.
How is this so difficult to understand? It's on the coaches and players to be ready for the game. And we can, and should, be there helping them on to victory. It's like you have an aversion to success.

How is this so difficult to understand? It's on the coaches and players to be ready for the game. And we can, and should, be there helping them on to victory. It's like you have an aversion to success.

And they weren't ready for that game judging by the first half.

And they weren't ready for that game judging by the first half.
Yep, no one was. The team fell apart before halftime, and you could hear a pin drop in the first half. Or is that not accurate, the announcers saying it was quieter than ever were just making things up?

Yep, no one was. The team fell apart before halftime, and you could hear a pin drop in the first half. Or is that not accurate?

So then the crowd should have done more to make the team play better?

So then the crowd should have done more to make the team play better?
Yes. Do you think the crowd cheering on the team and getting loud would have made the team fall apart even more? Knowing that all these fans in the crowd have their backs? Those poor players, what would they do?

Yes. Do you think the crowd cheering on the team and getting loud would have made the team fall apart even more? Knowing that all these fans in the crowd have their backs? Those poor players, what would they do?

So the team doesn't need to play well to engage the fans?

But the fans need to be "good fans" to get the team to play well?

So this is all on the shoulders of the fans?

So the team doesn't need to play well to engage the fans?

But the fans need to be "good fans" to get the team to play well?

So this is all on the shoulders of the fans?
Yes, that's right. We as fans should cheer them on and get loud for them regardless of how they are playing, either well or poorly.

Team is excused. Fans are not.

Got it. It's my job to make sure Myles Cale is excited and engaged tomorrow. Not his.

Oh cool. So if they are not doing well, time to stop being fans!

Nope. I've been going to games for 30 years - I'm only 33. Had season tickets since I was in HS.

I'm going to the games and I'm a fan.

I just didn't know I had to wake MC up in the morning, give him his food and give him a pep talk too.

But you said it right there. We are either not fans or bad fans if we aren't doing it the way you think.

Which goes right back to my first post. It used to be you're a bad fan if you don't attend every game. Now it's you're a bad fan for not cheering enough. When the guy who started this thread wasn't there! So therefore, he's a bad fan for not attending every game.

Last edited:
Reactions: sami
Nope. I've been going to games for 30 years - I'm only 33. Had season tickets since I was in HS.

I'm going to the games and I'm a fan.

I just didn't know I had to wake MC up in the morning, give him his food and give him a pep talk too.

But you said it right there. We are either not fans or bad fans if we aren't doing it the way you think.
You don't have to do any of that. All I said was be up and loud the ENTIRE game and not just for spurts when things either look really ugly or Myles Powell hits three 3s in a row. And you just want to argue that over and over. That's okay, I don't get to decide who is a fan or how good of a fan you are. I have not said at all that people are not fans or are bad fans. My post was, which I thought was obvious, sarcasm... if they're not playing well, then you won't cheer? Must not be a real fan then! (<- sarcasm) You can do that if you want. That doesn't make you a bad fan. All I'm asking for is, can we change that? Get up and loud through thick and thin, and give our team a better home court advantage. That is it!

Im commenting on my experience at them as well. Youre a hack. Promoting complacency. Thats what bad fans do.

Youre not a good crowd getting called out on live tv for being dead. Its objective. We dont cheer unless the team does someinf great. What have u done for me lately attitude. And to think u cant even grasp how to make it better!!

think small at shu09s hall!!

You're hitting the bottle early today, eh?

The coaches and players have to get themselves ready to play and have energy on the court. But we can, and should, give it to them from the stands too. It's not that strange of a concept, I would think.

We do give them energy, and they've thanked us for that. They have been quoted as saying this multiple times. Not sure what you're after.

Reactions: shupat08
We do give them energy, and they've thanked us for that. They have been quoted as saying this multiple times. Not sure what you're after.

Pretty sure KW said the crowd made them win the other night? For a bad crowd with no energy. Pretty amazing.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and shu09
I'm not sure how I can say this any more clearly. What I am after is:

The crowd being up and loud the ENTIRE game and not just for spurts when things either start to look ugly or Myles Powell hits three 3s in a row.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I'm not sure how I can say this any more clearly. What I am after is:

The crowd being up and loud the ENTIRE game and not just for spurts when things either start to look ugly or Myles Powell hits three 3s in a row.

Simply unrealistic.

That's an engrained culture at specific schools. The students and fans have a certain level of PTSD due to this program Post PJ.... there are almost zero alumni who even attend games who graduated between 2007 and 2012.... We do not have the culture to do what posters in this thread are expecting of our program.

and even for many of the older fans they witnessed our own School giving ourselves basically the death penalty.

Our program has almost the exact opposite culture of many of those schools.

It's a certain level of dread and doom surrounding this basketball fan PTSD that we have.

And that's not changing because of one season where we started a 10 game win streak and have a #10 rank. It will take 10-15+ years of that type of success to build up that culture.

Reactions: SHUMA04
You are 100% right that the PTSD is ingrained in this fan base. What do you do when you don't have the culture you want? You change the culture. So let's start changing the culture where we can, which is in the stands and in the world outside of the arena. Why would we not want to get that ball rolling?

Obviously we are not going to flip a switch and turn into Rupp Arena or Phog Allen Fieldhouse overnight (or maybe ever). So why not start by doing what we can to energize the crowd, make our home court advantage a bit better, and help the team out even more than we have been?

You are 100% right that the PTSD is ingrained in this fan base. What do you do when you don't have the culture you want? You change the culture. So let's start changing the culture in the stands. Why would we not want to get that ball rolling?

It is changing. The ball is rolling. That's what we are saying. What you and Athlete want is Duke culture now. That's not how things work. It's called a process.

Go back to Herb Popes nut punch NIT game with 2k in the arena. And think where we are in 10 years.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and shu09
It is changing. That's what we are saying. What you and Athlete want is fine culture now. That's not how things work. It's called a process.

Go back to Herb Popes nut punch NIT game with 2k in the arena. And think where we are in 10 years.
It is a process! Exactly!

DePaul first half was quiet, second half the crowd came alive.

If one half is quiet and depressing, and the other half full of energy, what is the logical next step in the process? Trying to make the entire next game full of energy. That is all I am saying. Carry over that momentum.

It is a process! Exactly!

DePaul first half was quiet, second half the crowd came alive.

If one half is quiet and depressing, and the other half full of energy, what is the logical next step in the process? Trying to make the entire next game full of energy.

As opposed to 2014 when we lose that game and half the arena is empty by the 10 minute mark in the second half.

It's not an overnight process

As opposed to 2014 when we lose that game and half the arena is empty by the 10 minute mark in the second half.

It's not an overnight process
So why should we not try to make the entire game tomorrow full of energy like the second half of the DePaul game? Because in 2014 the crowd wasn't as good? Just accept it... we have momentum. Our crowds are getting better and can be even greater! Don't let the PTSD take over and don't be afraid of it!

So why should we not try to make the entire game tomorrow full of energy like the second half of the DePaul game? Because in 2014 the crowd wasn't as good? Just accept it... we have momentum. Our crowds are getting better and can be even greater! Don't be so afraid of that!

Yes. And it's not cool to scold people for a great crowd. Which is all these threads do.

a few more years of us playing like this or having similar types of seasons as the past few seasons you get more young alumni who are active and who will attend the games will bring more energy than the older fans you get more families to start coming out with middle schoolers and high schoolers who start to get season tickets as well that adds more energy to the arena and then before you know it we have the entire arena rockets and standing all game but you're not going to get that at this point.

I like you as a poster and this is a pretty level-headed conversation we are having. But you must also remember the guy you've hitched your wagon to in this thread is calling people hacks and not real fans. Kind of dilutes your talking points as well.

Reactions: shu09
Yes. And it's not cool to scold people for a great crowd. Which is all these threads do.

I like you as a poster and this is a pretty level-headed conversation we are having. But you must also remember the guy you've hitched your wagon to in this thread is calling people hacks and not real fans. Kind of dilutes your talking points as well.
This thread is not about scolding people. That is where you are completely missing it. I am 100% guilty of not being into the game when things are sloppy and not very exciting; am I scolding myself for not being a good enough fan? No. That's not the point.

All I am asking is for folks to help out and change things, whatever little impact we can have. We in the crowds have been doing great this year, and we can do even better. I'm asking for people to give a bit more in the stands and create an even better home court advantage than the already good one we have. Please do not ignore the fact that I am saying "What we have is good" and that "We can do even better". You can call this constructive criticism, not scolding.

And I know what you are talking about. Calling people bad fans is not cool, and especially those who we (mostly, apparently...) all recognize as true fans through thick and thin. The people posting here are the most dedicated out there, I'd think, so it's crazy to resort to name-calling.

This thread is not about scolding people. That is where you are completely missing it. I am 100% guilty of not being into the game when things are sloppy and not very exciting; am I scolding myself for not being a good enough fan? No. That's not the point.

All I am asking is for folks to help out and change things, whatever little impact we can have. We in the crowds have been doing great this year, and we can do even better. I'm asking for people to give a bit more in the stands and create an even better home court advantage than the already good one we have. Please do not ignore the fact that I am saying "What we have is good" and that "We can do even better". You can call this constructive criticism, not scolding.

And I know what you are talking about. Calling people bad fans is not cool, and especially those who we (mostly, apparently...) all recognize as true fans through thick and thin. The people posting here are the most dedicated out there, I'd think, so it's crazy to resort to name-calling.

You're right. Was confusing this thread with all thw "bash on the fanbase" threads.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Im just getting worked up. Apologies. I just cant believe some of the stances here. World hunger is down 20% our work here is done!!

who cares if its better. The bar is extremely low. Willards done handing out participation trophys, he wants domination. Do ur part

I have been very high on our fan base this year! And I hate the bash the fan base threads as well. They are ridiculous, especially the ones saying we were awful crowds etc. when clearly that is not true.

I've been very high on the fan base to as well. Was a little disappointed with the late aerivong crowd the last game but one of the people we sit with said there was a bad accident on one of the highways coming in so I'm sure that certainly affected the mood / buzz in the arena when a quarter or a half of the fans were in a grumpy mood because of their commute in.

And I'm certainly guilty at times of having a "show me" attitude during games. I'm sure everyone on this board is well aware of how emotional and mercurial I can be as a poster on the board. Well at the Rock I am the same way. But I am very even keel in real life! Lol.

And the crowds are much better. Not too long ago we had no one cheering during games.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOleBlue
As is shu09. He is not a "bad fan".

Everyone having a discussion here is doing it out of support for this program.
Yes i know. Im going over the top for the benefit of the team . I hope everyone knows that. I dont care it was a ghost town in 2014. Our fans have been decent but were not winning any awards. Thank u for being the level headed one. But ill be a radical to support the cause

Im commenting on my experience at them as well. Youre a hack. Promoting complacency. Thats what bad fans do.

Youre not a good crowd getting called out on live tv for being dead. Its objective. We dont cheer unless the team does someinf great. What have u done for me lately attitude. And to think u cant even grasp how to make it better!!

think small at shu09s hall!!
You’re a good fan and Shu09 isn’t? LOL Nonstop calling for this coach to be fired qualifies you as a good fan?

reading comprehension pal ;)

im not blaming anyone for anything. im pointing out that those who dont cheer are bad fans in the arena.

The guy not in the building calling fans at the games "bad fans." You can stuff it. Not sure who anointed you the guy who makes that determination but we should have a recount.

I've had season tickets for more than 30 years and donated to Pirate Blue almost as long. I travel 90-120 minutes each way for every home game. I also go to whatever away games are feasible. This year Rutgers, St. John's and Villanova. Plus the Big East Tournament and hopefully more this year.

That I don't scream my lungs out for two hours every home game doesn't make me a bad fan and I defy you to tell me differently. I make plenty of noise over the course of a game but forgive me if I don't feel like cheering five or eight minutes of sluggish play.

The guy not in the building calling fans at the games "bad fans." You can stuff it. Not sure who anointed you the guy who makes that determination but we should have a recount.

I've had season tickets for more than 30 years and donated to Pirate Blue almost as long. I travel 90-120 minutes each way for every home game. I also go to whatever away games are feasible. This year Rutgers, St. John's and Villanova. Plus the Big East Tournament and hopefully more this year.

That I don't scream my lungs out for two hours every home game doesn't make me a bad fan and I defy you to tell me differently. I make plenty of noise over the course of a game but forgive me if I don't feel like cheering five or eight minutes of sluggish play.
Ive been to almost every game this year. Got to sju, nova all the same. Same story every time. You sound like someone who doesnt wanna be bothered to cheer. We dont have to cheer 100% of the time, we could of we jad committed fans. We dont. Im asking to cheer during the sliggiah play, or even 50% of the game. Not just when the action is getting good.

idc if u go to every single game. If u sit there and do nothing its meaningless. Ur just there for yoursef. They dont need u to tell them theyve done a good job when hitting a 3 to go up 15.

but if you try and support them through good and bad, well now ur helping.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT