ADVERTISEMENT

Brutal Numbers, Wow

Why can’t Richmond make shots 5 feet from basket.Driving ability is good just can’t finish.Unless he improves he plays overseas at best.
1000% mental
It is bitching from my vantage point an not very helpful to the players and the coach.
Ok so wave your pom poms and pray it gets better. Go team go!

We’re all rooting for the Pirates. Some of us more realistically than others. Have you ever noticed that when we play poorly, we somehow have illnesses?
We are playing short handed at center. Our 2 headed center has only one head and we are missing one of our key guards and a power forward. You can get by with that against lower level competition but not potential top 25 teams. You need everyone on deck when you play against the best.

I'm not sure why we are intent on always driving to the basket even if there are 2 bigs there waiting for us? Whatever happened to drive to the basket, stop, and pop? Seems no one on this team is taught to stop and pop on a drive! Mix it up a bit and keep the defense on their toes!
Kadary is talented enough to finish through contact/make living at foul line and be crafty 12 feet and in

We are playing short handed at center. Our 2 headed center has only one head and we are missing one of our key guards and a power forward. You can get by with that against lower level competition but not potential top 25 teams. You need everyone on deck when you play against the best.
I hope you’re right. We need to get better and need to do it quickly. We are running out of cupcakes on our schedule. Nobody wants to peak in November. But at least early on, I am watching a repeat of last year. Coleman may soon turn into the x-factor. Get him on the floor early and often and let him ball. He looks ready.

Not only real competition but really good competition and possibly top 25 teams! SHU had to travel cross country and more time zones and dealing with sick and injured key components. We don't know if any of the starting 5 are also dealing with not felling well. Strep is highly contagious.

Given all that sure it is disappointing we lost both games but given how negative many of you posters are about the players and team why are you all so shocked? Suck it up!

Once again this was a great learning experience and we have a better idea as to what this team can do. Let's sit back and enjoy the rest of the season and see where the team will take us. There will be some nice wins along the way. I would still expect a lot of fight from these kids even if we are underdogs against higher ranked teams as we saw on this west coast trip.

I'm still rooting for my Pirates win or lose!
Nice approach!!!!

If you are driving to the basket and there is a wall in front of you, you stop and pop and don't force it. Otherwise the outcomes are you get stripped of the ball, your shot will get blocked, you will get called for a charge or you brick the shot or miss if you continue. Chances of getting fouled are the least likely outcome when you put your head down and go against the wall.

Sure there are times there is an opening and so you see it and continue to the basket. I have no problem with that. How many times have you watched a game and see a player drive to the basket and see that there is no chance of there being anything there and the result is no score.

Reactions: catholicman
In the first half there were at last 5/6 point blank shots that rolled around the rim and out— KR, Dre, and JB. My head was spinning thinking here we go again.

If you are driving to the basket and there is a wall in front of you, you stop and pop and don't force it. Otherwise the outcomes are you get stripped of the ball, your shot will get blocked, you will get called for a charge or you brick the shot or miss if you continue. Chances of getting fouled are the least likely outcome when you put your head down and go against the wall.

Sure there are times there is an opening and so you see it and continue to the basket. I have no problem with that. How many times have you watched a game and see a player drive to the basket and see that there is no chance of there being anything there and the result is no score.
Better yet either dump the ball to someone cutting to the basket or kick out to an open look. Of course it helps if you have someone who could consistently knock it down.

Reactions: catholicman
This isn’t bitching. What we witnessed was alarming. Our first two games against real competition were like looking in the rear view mirror at last year.

The four low majors we opened up against didn’t do us any favors. I don’t want to hear about chemistry anymore. We had four games to prepare for this and we looked as bad as possible for a team with some decent talent.

Wake up Kadary. Have a seat Dawes. Coleman deserves all of Dawes’s minutes and then some. I love what Dre has been doing by the way. He needs to find his outside shot and he can be a game changer.
2 guys, who we know what they can do, had bad games and we were right there in both games in the final 5 minutes. Alarming or correctable? Alarming would be there's no way this Richmond guy can hack it at this level. Alarming would be the unknowns of the frontcourt just can't flat out hack it verse good competition. Clearly not the case. This reminds of the people who ate a ton of humble pie after we won 12 in a row after ripping the team who lost at Iowa St and at RU. This team will improve a lot.

Reactions: hallball
I think our bigger issues are, this SEEMS like year two of these guys tuning Sha out, IMO there is very little evidence they listen or buy-in to what he sells. That’s a huge red flag, his act wears thin when we are terrible, the rubbing the face, the yelling, that looks great for fans but is useless when they don’t listen

Also, from my admittedly small time cbb sources, I don’t like anything I hear from outsiders on perception about Sha or the program

That elite 8 run might have been one of the worst things that could have happened to us..maybe not but there are some major major red flags around here

Of course the NIL police will come out to say we can’t compete and of course our talent has dipped but we PLAY badly with little to no improvement over two years

We don’t even really play defense that well.

2 guys, who we know what they can do, had bad games and we were right there in both games in the final 5 minutes. Alarming or correctable? Alarming would be there's no way this Richmond guy can hack it at this level. Alarming would be the unknowns of the frontcourt just can't flat out hack it verse good competition. Clearly not the case. This reminds of the people who ate a ton of humble pie after we won 12 in a row after ripping the team who lost at Iowa St and at RU. This team will improve a lot.
I drank the Kadary Kool-Aid and continue to do so but is there proof that he can put it together over a full season? We’ve seen glimpses. But how about the consistency? The body transformation says he’s ready. But what happened in his first two games against real competition? I think there is certainly cause for concern here. He’s not even putting his teammates in positions to succeed. He must get right in order for this team to win. He’s that good and that important.

I think our bigger issues are, this SEEMS like year two of these guys tuning Sha out, IMO there is very little evidence they listen or buy-in to what he sells. That’s a huge red flag, his act wears thin when we are terrible, the rubbing the face, the yelling, that looks great for fans but is useless when they don’t listen

Also, from my admittedly small time cbb sources, I don’t like anything I hear from outsiders on perception about Sha or the program

That elite 8 run might have been one of the worst things that could have happened to us..maybe not but there are some major major red flags around here

Of course the NIL police will come out to say we can’t compete and of course our talent has dipped but we PLAY badly with little to no improvement over two years

Good point on Sha’s body language. I am not a fan of it. As the leader and the guy at the very top, you have to be cooler under pressure. The players look to you for guidance. You have to show that you have it all under control even if you’re dying on the inside. I was actually quite embarrassed by it last night.

Reactions: LBP43
I’m

Sha was getting the job even if St Peters went 5-20 that season. The elite 8 run had nothing to do with his hiring except make us look good for hiring him.

Reactions: thehall07

What did the elite 8 run actually do? Sha was getting the job before they played their 2nd round game vs Murray St. Willard told us as much in his TCU post game interview. Heck he might've been getting it without beating Kentucky. I'm not sure why we didn't even interview Pitino or some other guys. But that's in the past. Sha is our coach and we have to give him every chance to succeed. 6 games into year 2 is silly to be having these talks.

I have to admit...in the practice I attended Dawes probably played the best 2 hours of BB that I have seen at the Hall from him. He wasn't just hitting shots all over the court, but more importantly he was moving the ball with crisp passes and playing not like a 2G but like a high quality point.

Mix that with Richmond playing better than he did in the UConn game and I walked out of the gym thinking these two players can match up well with most guard combos in the country.

Then the lights went on and......
KR and Dawes aren't nearly as bad as they were these last 2 games. I just didn't agree, and still do not agree, with some of the hype train that I thought was over-the-top on both players. That isn't being a "hater". I love the Yankees and I'm not saying Volpe is Derek Jeter 2.0 despite having a good rookie season. I love the Giants but I don't think Thibs is Lawrence Taylor despite making a jump in year 2 as an edge player. And so on. My comment last week was that I need to see KR play 25 games like an first team all leaguer before I even contemplate putting him in the same breath as a player as Myles Powell. It's an unpopular opinion to some on here, but just how I view this stuff. Doesn't make it right, but doesn't make me a negative-hater either.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Of course but I could only report on what I saw. Remember Jerry and Fanta also went to practices and were in lock step with what I saw.

I was hoping that at least with Dawes we were finally seeing the potential his ability dictates. So far that is but a distant dream.
As I said, no doubt Dawes did what you said, and no issue that you reported it.

I shot one round 10 strokes better than my handicap this year. He was in the zone that day for one two hour practice. That was clearly the exception.

Reactions: newshu1 and shu09
havent posted in a long time. but cant help it on this topic.

dawes is a trainwreck on both ends and makes everyone worse on both ends. also seems uncoachable. id replace him with sanders when hes able to do so.
Agreed. But is he uncoachable if the coach seemingly allows such nonsense? Until Sha sits him down on the bench for longer than a few minutes and also pulls him from the starting lineup, what, in his mind, is he doing wrong? He’s still being fed the ball by his teammates. He’s still chucking up prayer after prayer with his coach’s support. I point the finger at Sha. Dawes is a problem, no doubt about it. In this case, Sha is the bigger problem.

What did the elite 8 run actually do? Sha was getting the job before they played their 2nd round game vs Murray St. Willard told us as much in his TCU post game interview. Heck he might've been getting it without beating Kentucky. I'm not sure why we didn't even interview Pitino or some other guys. But that's in the past. Sha is our coach and we have to give him every chance to succeed. 6 games into year 2 is silly to be having these talks.
Cost us a lot of time and buy-out money

It isn’t silly…these things aren’t really about Ws and Ls it’s red flags with him and the program.

Also from what I’ve heard from people in coaching

We’ll see

Cost us a lot of time and buy-out money

It isn’t silly…these things aren’t really about Ws and Ls it’s red flags with him and the program.

Also from what I’ve heard from people in coaching

We’ll see
Who cares about the money. It really doesn’t affect anything in the grand scheme of things. You think an extra 500k-1m over the course of a few years is the difference in us being poor or rich? Where else would that money go? Not the players, not a new stadium. Give me a break

Reactions: thehall07
Agreed. But is he uncoachable if the coach seemingly allows such nonsense? Until Sha sits him down on the bench for longer than a few minutes and also pulls him from the starting lineup, what, in his mind, is he doing wrong? He’s still being fed the ball by his teammates. He’s still chucking up prayer after prayer with his coach’s support. I point the finger at Sha. Dawes is a problem, no doubt about it. In this case, Sha is the bigger problem.
just reading a few posts here it seems like sanders isnt really able to take on minutes for a few reasons. once hes back and still not getting dawes mins then we have a problem with the coach.

its a few games into sha's second year. give me a break ragging on him. its basically impossible to compete in the NIL era as much as williaza wants to pretend it doesnt matter. Heres an example, if we kept tyrese samuel we would have a much better team. but he left in a blink of an eye for money. now imagine thats the case for every player.

Who cares about the money. It really doesn’t affect anything in the grand scheme of things. You think an extra 500k-1m over the course of a few years is the difference in us being poor or rich? Where else would that money go? Not the players, not a new stadium. Give me a break

That isn't the most important part of his post.

just reading a few posts here it seems like sanders isnt really able to take on minutes for a few reasons. once hes back and still not getting dawes mins then we have a problem with the coach.

its a few games into sha's second year. give me a break ragging on him. its basically impossible to compete in the NIL era as much as williaza wants to pretend it doesnt matter. Heres an example, if we kept tyrese samuel we would have a much better team. but he left in a blink of an eye for money. now imagine thats the case for every player.
I am not talking in “ifs and buts” here. Samuel is long gone. Dawes is here. And for the second year in a row, we are seeing an erratic player being enabled by his coach. That is 1000% on Sha and he deserves the criticism. If he wants to lose games with Dawes putting on circus acts game after game, that’s on him. It’s year 2. Not game 1. Time to start showing progress. Not a Big East Championship. Progress.

I am not talking in “ifs and buts” here. Samuel is long gone. Dawes is here. And for the second year in a row, we are seeing an erratic player being enabled by his coach. That is 1000% on Sha and he deserves the criticism. If he wants to lose games with Dawes putting on circus acts game after game, that’s on him. It’s year 2. Not game 1. Time to start showing progress. Not a Big East Championship. Progress.
from what ive seen during the game, its not enabled by sha. he genuinely wants them to stop playing low IQ ball. i just dont think hes able to put sanders in yet. at least thats my hope. if this is a case of favoring one guy and having another in the dog house (like willard) then i think the finger points to sha. either way, in this modern NIL league we are going to be a losing program for many reasons. the hope is that the one or two times we break through we can get past the 1st round, and our coach has the capability to do so. but those opportunities will be few and far between.

What?! Have you been to Seton Hall? An extra 1 mil per year for years will determine the buyout which will determine how to let him go (if that even happens) and how much will be left for the next one

It also has been cited several times him taking every penny hurt the assistant pool

do you know who potential candidates were to replace willard? or did they not get that far?
Why do you care? You had roughly 75% of p6 fighting to hire him and declared on this board how we were going to screw it up

Care to elaborate

Of course but let’s see how he does with support and not set him up for failure by not giving him the best we can offer.
Sure. I know a long time NBA scout, low level assistant and an ACC assistant. I wouldn’t say any of them are infallible but all have said they think we are in big trouble with him. And it was a first guess by all these people

Also have heard from a few alums who have seen practices he is beyond relentless at all times and (IMO) that just does not fly anymore and (again IMO) you see that in games. They tune him out and our “buy-in” level is very low that’s a bigger concern than talent level right now

Why do you care? You had roughly 75% of p6 fighting to hire him and declared on this board how we were going to screw it up

This is what I recall. SHUSA was worried he would be scooped up by another program, yet Dan kept insisting (correctly) that it was pretty much a done deal. What I don't understand is Dan's post above now saying "Nope" to the guy who said the Elite Eight run had nothing to do with it, when at the time (before they got to the E8) it was pretty much done.

from what ive seen during the game, its not enabled by sha. he genuinely wants them to stop playing low IQ ball. i just dont think hes able to put sanders in yet. at least thats my hope. if this is a case of favoring one guy and having another in the dog house (like willard) then i think the finger points to sha. either way, in this modern NIL league we are going to be a losing program for many reasons. the hope is that the one or two times we break through we can get past the 1st round, and our coach has the capability to do so. but those opportunities will be few and far between.
Wanting them to stop and making them stop are two different things. Practice what you preach. If the next errant Dawes bomb landed him on the bench, I can guarantee you that Dawes will stop launching. And if I’m wrong, it won’t matter because Dawes can’t launch from the bench.

I’m not saying we’re deep and have replacements, but that behavior cannot be tolerated. Letting one player act bigger than the team is an absolute no-no. Why is it that we hear about Sha being a no nonsense coach yet he plays favorites and lets Dawes get away with murder? Sanders had one of the nicest backdoor cuts that we’ve seen in years and he gets to sit a couple of plays later. Tired of it.

This is what I recall. SHUSA was worried he would be scooped up by another program, yet Dan kept insisting (correctly) that it was pretty much a done deal. What I don't understand is Dan's post above now saying "Nope" to the guy who said the Elite Eight run had nothing to do with it.
My recall is that as recent as Jan/Feb of that season, there were apparently issues between Willard/the school and Sha, whether related to Sha getting in trouble with the NCAA for the TT recruitment violations and show cause penalty (if that term is right). Or for some other reason. I think that’s what Dan’s referencing. When it became clear in that timeframe or shortly thereafter that KW was now finally out the door - after flirting for years with other schools during both good and bad times - the stars aligned because it coincided with Sha making the dance and perhaps even winning his first game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT