ADVERTISEMENT

Brutal Numbers, Wow

Sure. I know a long time NBA scout, low level assistant and an ACC assistant. I wouldn’t say any of them are infallible but all have said they think we are in big trouble with him. And it was a first guess by all these people

Also have heard from a few alums who have seen practices he is beyond relentless at all times and (IMO) that just does not fly anymore and (again IMO) you see that in games. They tune him out and our “buy-in” level is very low that’s a bigger concern than talent level right now
Yikes. This is the worst thing I’ve read today and we just played two lousy games. I hope this doesn’t come to pass but my eyes can certainly see it.

2 guys, who we know what they can do, had bad games and we were right there in both games in the final 5 minutes. Alarming or correctable? Alarming would be there's no way this Richmond guy can hack it at this level. Alarming would be the unknowns of the frontcourt just can't flat out hack it verse good competition. Clearly not the case. This reminds of the people who ate a ton of humble pie after we won 12 in a row after ripping the team who lost at Iowa St and at RU. This team will improve a lot.
Alarming is also terrible first halves that put us in double digit deficits…. which was our USC and Iowa experience.

Reactions: Hall Is Life
My recall is that as recent as Jan/Feb of that season, there were apparently issues between Willard/the school and Sha, whether related to Sha getting in trouble with the NCAA for the TT recruitment violations and show cause penalty (if that term is right). Or for some other reason. I think that’s what Dan’s referencing. When it became clear in that timeframe or shortly thereafter that KW was now finally out the door - after flirting for years with other schools during both good and bad times - the stars aligned because it coincided with Sha making the dance and perhaps even winning his first game.

I'm talking about the March 2022 time frame. Willard was already out the door behind the scenes and Sha was practically the "coach in waiting" per reports here and elsewhere.

Sure. I know a long time NBA scout, low level assistant and an ACC assistant. I wouldn’t say any of them are infallible but all have said they think we are in big trouble with him. And it was a first guess by all these people

Also have heard from a few alums who have seen practices he is beyond relentless at all times and (IMO) that just does not fly anymore and (again IMO) you see that in games. They tune him out and our “buy-in” level is very low that’s a bigger concern than talent level right now
Troubling. What do you mean "it was a first guess by all these people"?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I'm talking about the March 2022 time frame. Willard was already out the door behind the scenes and Sha was practically the "coach in waiting" per reports here and elsewhere.
Yes, I agree with you. What I’m saying is that not long before that time - perhaps as late as late Feb 2022 - I recall Dan and others saying there was an issue between Sha and the school. Ultimately (and conveniently) that got resolved pretty quick it seemed, because when it became clear KW was out the door for good it seemed Sha was basically already hired even though his run in the dance was just beginning.

Reactions: shu09
do you know who potential candidates were to replace willard? or did they not get that far?
I do not but I do know that Sha with the record noted of 5-20 would not have gotten a sniff.

He had to make the Dance to get an offer. As soon as he did, he was hired regardless of the results once he got there.

Yikes. This is the worst thing I’ve read today and we just played two lousy games. I hope this doesn’t come to pass but my eyes can certainly see it.
If it makes you feel better one of those people told me last winter that LM and JQ were a 100% lock to us because they wanted to end their career at home until LM got denied his year

So obviously they aren’t always 100%

If it makes you feel better one of those people told me last winter that LM and JQ were a 100% lock to us because they wanted to end their career at home until LM got denied his year

That’s interesting because I don’t think Kadary would have “allowed” JQ to come here. Maybe I’m wrong because he thought JQ could play off the ball more. But it was stated here it was the problem with Posh.

Yes, I agree with you. What I’m saying is that not long before that time - perhaps as late as late Feb 2022 - I recall Dan and others saying there was an issue between Sha and the school. Ultimately (and conveniently) that got resolved pretty quick it seemed, because when it became clear KW was out the door for good it seemed Sha was basically already hired even though his run in the dance was just beginning.

Yes, whatever issues out there were resolved and Sha was the heavy favorite for the position no matter how far St. Peter's advanced in the dance.

I do not but I do know that Sha with the record noted of 5-20 would not have gotten a sniff.

He had to make the Dance to get an offer. As soon as he did, he was hired regardless of the results once he got there.

This clear it up and matches my recollection, thanks. I did not consider the words of the poster who used 5-20 as an example as I thought it was silly. Sha making the dance as the prerequisite makes sense.

Reactions: PMB Pirate

It does make me feel better, lol. I do fear Sha’s act getting tired with these guys but after all, they are his guys (most of them). They knew what they were getting when they signed up to play here. Hopefully that means they have thick skin and can play for an old school coach.

Unfortunately the most important and best player on this roster who isn’t a Sha guy is Kadary and without him giving max effort and playing his absolute best, the rest doesn’t matter. Like Willlard’s final year, we are a one trick pony. Aiken was Willard’s ticket and Kadary is Sha’s. If he can’t reach through to him, this will be a lost season.

It looks like we’re rounding out a really solid recruiting cycle. Next year will be the most telling. Sha deserves our support and a very long leash but the early results are troubling. The consistent, repeated mistakes without answers is cause for concern but the season is young. Time to bounce back.

Then what could’ve possibly been the alternative? Hiring Billmeier? Hard to believe he has what it would take to lure the kind of recruits we need.

Sha was a very hot coaching prospect when we hired him. Unless we wanted to go get Pitino, he was the hire. I think St John's would have gone after Sha hard if we did not lock him up.

I couldn't disagree more with the people knocking the talent level. We have top 100-150 guys signed, some power 5 transfers and some lower level guys making the jump up. How different is the roster going to be in year 4 compared to this year?

This is who SHU is in the NIL area. Unless you have a consistent record of winning or a ton of NIL funds this is who you have.

What kind of offensive system is this? Why do I hear about how hard Sha is on certain people but Dawes has a ridiculously long leash? How is that going to play out in the locker room?

I'm not speaking about the future, I'm not calling for Sha to be fired, nothing like that. I try to eliminate emotions and go off what my eyes tell me.

I see a team with very inconsistent effort, no off ball movement and little penetration. I see the same offense I saw far too often under Willard which is dysfunction.

I don't get how you can coach in the Big East and essentially run no system offensively - especially when you know your talent is not going to be in the top tier. This makes the system all the more important.

Dan, I'm really just baffled as to what Sha saw this summer. Unless our Defense is poor enough to make our Offense look good, which has happened in the past.
Maybe they started to believe what he was saying and then we have players thinking it's okay to take 12 threes in one game and not work within the team structure because he is part of "the best backcourt in the country"
Remember, you can do what you want on offense as long as you play defense …

That philosophy is not aging well….

But the question is…will it change?

If you saw the facial expressions of Kadary vs Iowa it emulates what we’ve seen over the course of his career here. Hopefully he finds the fire again before the next game

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Like i said and was killed for it. Its going to take shaheen at least 5 years. Who else us dying to take this position thats any better or who wo t use us as a stepping stone. Gotta give sha 5 yrs to see what he can do. Id bet 100% a
shaheen cringes at als shot selection but whos his next choice? Jaquan is not yet ready, coleman looks promising but young. Its easy to just say pull AL. Maybe he will at times to teach him a lesson, but it can get worse.

Reactions: mbraue and TomWall
Like i said and was killed for it. Its going to take shaheen at least 5 years. Who else us dying to take this position thats any better or who wo t use us as a stepping stone. Gotta give sha 5 yrs to see what he can do. Id bet 100% a
shaheen cringes at als shot selection but whos his next choice? Jaquan is not yet ready, coleman looks promising but young. Its easy to just say pull AL. Maybe he will at times to teach him a lesson, but it can get worse.
Let Khadary be the point guard. Shaheen's idea of having multiple play-makers has caused chaos in our offense and enabled Dawes to play recklessly. If Khadary ran the show, our offense might work better. Richmond can be a very good distributor, but the ball has got to come back to him when there is no easy shot. The team needs to learn to move off the ball, to kick it back out when there's traffic, etc.

Why is it going to take him 5 years? What players will he get in year 5 he is not currently getting? What will be different system wise in year 5 compared to this year? Why would any system take 5 years? Why would any culture take 5 years to install?

You aren't going to bench a guy chucking like that b/c it can get worse? I agree it can get worse. Let him keep chucking like that and you'll hear about locker room issues sooner rather than later. Its not even in the flow of the game, Dawes looks like a player with a personal quota on how many threes to take.

He's being paid $2.4M a year and its gonna take 5 years? I really hope that's not the case

Well, I mean, the school didn't interview a single other person. That should tell you all you need to know.

Personally, I don't see a team tuning out its coach. I do see a team that struggles so significantly in basic offense. How many lay-ups or open 3's are veteran players going to miss? Why do we make so many bad decisions? What's the reason for that? Are the practices too much? Are we focusing on the wrong things? Idk, but it's confounding how bad it looks often.

I also see a coach who struggled to assemble rosters because of the dynamics around him and the university's shortcomings, so you do have to account for that. I think it's clear now that neither he or SHU was prepared for any of this and we're seeing some on-the-job training, just like Willard in a sense. But that seems to be settled and improving with his 2024 haul. Look at Coleman; after just 6 games he's already a higher talent level than what Sha has had here. It pops.

Let Khadary be the point guard. Shaheen's idea of having multiple play-makers has caused chaos in our offense and enabled Dawes to play recklessly. If Khadary ran the show, our offense might work better. Richmond can be a very good distributor, but the ball has got to come back to him when there is no easy shot. The team needs to learn to move off the ball, to kick it back out when there's traffic, etc.
That why kadary came out cuz his stats were awful. Posh coulda been a solid backup pg but wanted wusu

Why is it going to take him 5 years? What players will he get in year 5 he is not currently getting? What will be different system wise in year 5 compared to this year? Why would any system take 5 years? Why would any culture take 5 years to install?

You aren't going to bench a guy chucking like that b/c it can get worse? I agree it can get worse. Let him keep chucking like that and you'll hear about locker room issues sooner rather than later. Its not even in the flow of the game, Dawes looks like a player with a personal quota on how many threes to take.

He's being paid $2.4M a year and its gonna take 5 years? I really hope that's not the case
Took willard 6. Why wouldnt it take shaheen 5? 2 years down the drain. We lose alot this year and rebuild next season. Thats a big ? For season 3. Do u see a tourny team next season? That brings up season 4 and 5. We arent a school that turns up the talent in 1 or 2 years. Be prepared. However id keep rolling w shaheen for the long term. Making a switch after 4 5 6 years isnt going to help either.

Ive scratched my head at the constant 1 on 1 play, driving into 2 3 defenders, step back side step 3 pt shoots, when u see nova,creighton, marquette, iowa move the ball so well for open shots. We do the opposite. Ive always wondered, is it the coaching,is it the players?? Do thdy not listen or is the talent not there. Weve seen mid majors play a better offense. The good thing is we used to be a turnover machine and that hasnt beem the case so far. I feel like our guys dont know the basics of basketball.

Every reasonable person figured for this team to have a shot to be good the two really good players - Richmond and Davis - would need to be (1) injury-free and (2) put in all-league level of performances. It’s only been 2 games against good teams but it hasn’t happened yet for Richmond.

Then, secondarily, you’d need Dawes not to torpedo you and the complementary players to be solid. The former hasn’t gone well; it’s been a torpedo. The latter has gone well, IMO, especially Bediako, Coleman, and Addae-Wusu in their roles. I didn’t expect much from all these first year players and I think we’re getting what you’d expect there too, nothing crazy bad (NgaNga, Orzdogan, Brown).

But that ⬆️ is a lot of things to go well to be good. That’s why most figured maybe .500 in BE, but likely below. If our backcourt showed up and played well, led us to a quality win in CA, vibes would be different. Didn’t happen. Didn’t step up.

It’s still early though.

Last edited:
Took willard 6. Why wouldnt it take shaheen 5? 2 years down the drain. We lose alot this year and rebuild next season. Thats a big ? For season 3. Do u see a tourny team next season? That brings up season 4 and 5. We arent a school that turns up the talent in 1 or 2 years. Be prepared. However id keep rolling w shaheen for the long term. Making a switch after 4 5 6 years isnt going to help either.

Ive scratched my head at the constant 1 on 1 play, driving into 2 3 defenders, step back side step 3 pt shoots, when u see nova,creighton, marquette, iowa move the ball so well for open shots. We do the opposite. Ive always wondered, is it the coaching,is it the players?? Do thdy not listen or is the talent not there. Weve seen mid majors play a better offense. The good thing is we used to be a turnover machine and that hasnt beem the case so far. I feel like our guys dont know the basics of basketball.
Silly. Can you tell us who's available in Year 6 to replace Sha if he can't get the job done by then? Clearly you seem to know whoever they are, none of them are going to help. You're also worried about who we lose this year. You realize SHU, along with every other team in the country has potential to lose a lot every year. Losing a lot is now part of the job. Really don't compare Willard and Sha. There's very few similarities other than their defense 1st approach. Sha was able to take SPU to the elite 8, he can't do better than Willard taking 6 years? He was a national name when he took over, nobody knew Willard 15 yearsa ago. He also took over a program that had a good number of 20 year wins right before he took over. Unlike Willard, he was an assistant here, he comes in knowing the job better, the people, and everything good and bad that goes with being the coach here. Finally he didn't take over a complete mess like his predecessor did.

I'll be the first to say going crazy 6 games into year 2 is completely stupid, but you're being stupid on the other side of the spectrum. Give the man a fair chance, but don't be blind either.

Sha needs to recruit his kind of guys. If you gotta have thick skin and be mentally to play for Sha, shame on him if he gets a 4 star who can't handle that. He'd be better off with a 4 year, 3 star player who can. Tough, hard nosed players with thick skin are out there, you just gotta find them.

Reactions: Gritty5837
Wusu had 9 points and 9 boards against USC. He is not a problem.
Gotta be able to do more than hit a few wide open threes…. Might look good on paper but when you realize that for the other 30+ minutes he is/was a huge detriment. he is Femi 2.0

Terrible take Hoopsfan. This thread is backed up by stats over two games against the first real competition we’ve played. If you are not concerned then please check your eyes. Most posters are stating facts backed by very concerning stats. Our top player looked bad. His sidekick was awful.
Seriously… people like to bitch for the sake of bitching? I’d much rather see crisp basketball when you roll out 5 seniors in a starting lineup.

Gotta be able to do more than hit a few wide open threes…. Might look good on paper but when you realize that for the other 30+ minutes he is/was a huge detriment. he is Femi 2.0
People rely on stats and then don't when it suits their needs. 9 rebounds is alot from a guard or a 3. I would say that is a little bit more than hitting a few wide open 3s. Now, you are going to say some rebounds were when we were down 20. A double double is a thing because it is impressive. Frankly, hitting any wide open 3 is a premium on this team. I just see Wusu contributing more than some on this board.

Seriously… people like to bitch for the sake of bitching? I’d much rather see crisp basketball when you roll out 5 seniors in a starting lineup.
We wouldn't be picked 9th if expectations were crisp basketball no matter what year our guys are. And we'd be top 5 with 5 seniors playing crisp basketball. We're going to have to muck things up and win ugly. Richmond is the only guy on this team who has been in a Sha like system for the 3 years. Everyone else is in year 1 or 2. We all know KR is not a 10% 3 point shooter. He's also a guy who can finish at the rim, He's off right now. Unless you think he's going to be off all year like Harris was last year, there's no reason for the sky is falling. I think the frontcourt was the biggest concern going west. I'm not as concerned as I was before the season. I'm hopeful by the time the big east schedule rolls around things will be much better.

Last edited:
Silly. Can you tell us who's available in Year 6 to replace Sha if he can't get the job done by then? Clearly you seem to know whoever they are, none of them are going to help. You're also worried about who we lose this year. You realize SHU, along with every other team in the country has potential to lose a lot every year. Losing a lot is now part of the job. Really don't compare Willard and Sha. There's very few similarities other than their defense 1st approach. Sha was able to take SPU to the elite 8, he can't do better than Willard taking 6 years? He was a national name when he took over, nobody knew Willard 15 yearsa ago. He also took over a program that had a good number of 20 year wins right before he took over. Unlike Willard, he was an assistant here, he comes in knowing the job better, the people, and everything good and bad that goes with being the coach here. Finally he didn't take over a complete mess like his predecessor did.

I'll be the first to say going crazy 6 games into year 2 is completely stupid, but you're being stupid on the other side of the spectrum. Give the man a fair chance, but don't be blind either.

Sha needs to recruit his kind of guys. If you gotta have thick skin and be mentally to play for Sha, shame on him if he gets a 4 star who can't handle that. He'd be better off with a 4 year, 3 star player who can. Tough, hard nosed players with thick skin are out there, you just gotta find them.
Whats your point? Itll take him less than 5 years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT