ADVERTISEMENT

Butler hires Milwaukee's LaVall Jordan

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Jordan, a former Butler player and assistant, will replace Chris Holtmann, who left for Ohio State

Milwaukee's LaVall Jordan has reached an agreement in principle to become the next head coach at Butler, a source told CBS Sports on Monday.

A formal announcement is expected soon.

Jordan is a Butler graduate and former Bulldogs player who has only spent one season as a head coach -- specifically this past season, when his Panthers finished 11-24 overall, 4-14 in the Horizon. Regardless, he was quickly identified as the leading candidate to replace Chris Holtmann at Butler because of his ties to the school and athletic director Barry Collier.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...utler-quickly-hires-milwaukees-lavall-jordan/

Has good rep as recruiter. Jury is out on coaching. He is an alum which follows what many in the Big East are doing. I suppose trying to create a bond as HC which maybe leads to longevity.

Butler needs to stay competitive. League is tough right now.

I think he is exactly what Butler needed and will do just fine. Important for him to hire a strong staff, imo.

A key to his success will be the quality of his staff of assistants and how skilled and connected they are in recruiting.

Fortunately for us, should KW bail, we have his successor already on the bench - unless we get stupid.
If SHU can bring in a top flight class this year, then I am for hiring Holloway, if the are still struggling to sign recruits in April, I think they should look in another direction as much as I like and admire Shaheen.

Reactions: shu09
It's just so interesting to me that Butler is hiring the finalist they passed over for Brandon Miller to replace the coach who initially replaced Miller on an interim basis.

It will. I have no doubt about that.
The hiring fits their MO and their blue print for staying competive. Does it really matter that he was originally passed over?
Jordan was an AC at some BG schools which should be no problem for him recruiting at BU.

Reactions: shu09
where did Chris Holtmann come from before he got to Butler? Never heard of the guy before, ended up being a gem for them.

where did Chris Holtmann come from before he got to Butler? Never heard of the guy before, ended up being a gem for them.
Head coach at Gardner-Webb. He saw the path to a big-time head coaching opportunity better by being an assistant at a prominent program than being the head coach at a low-major. If he stayed at G-W, he would have had to take over and quickly turn around a bad mid-major before a decent program gave him an interview.

Didn't realize Holtmann spent so much time at Gardner-Webb. That's 8 seasons total between assistant and HC gigs.

I think he is exactly what Butler needed and will do just fine. Important for him to hire a strong staff, imo.

Let's see who he brings in as assistants. If Johnson and Pedon stayed then I think they would be ok. Now it's all about the assistants and keeping the recruits from bolting.

No surprise they hired a Butler guy and are bringing back Butler folks. Holty was an outsider initially and he really only landed that HC gig because of Miller's health issues and there need to get someone on board quickly. Obviously it worked out splendidly. I am confident this will turn out to be a solid hire as well. They need to focus on keeping the kids who came to play for Holty.

Milwaukee hires Pat Baldwin as head coach
11:36 AM ET
  • Jeff Goodman
  • Jeff Borzello
Milwaukee has hired Northwestern assistant Pat Baldwin as its next head coach, sources told ESPN.

Baldwin has agreed to a five-year deal.

Baldwin, a former standout player at Northwestern, has been an assistant with the Wildcats for five seasons. He also spent time as an assistant coach at Missouri State, Loyola Chicago and Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Baldwin replaces LaVall Jordan, who left after one season for the head-coaching position at Butler.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ilwaukee-panthers-hire-pat-baldwin-head-coach

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT