ADVERTISEMENT

Close your eyes, smile & enjoy......this may never happen again.

mspaeth

All Big East
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2004

I attended Seton Hall from 88-93.

During those many March Madness days the campus was alive on Selection Sunday, Thurs/Fri and the following weekend/week/weekend's.

We grew accustomed to the winning, the brackets and the Madness. We had Dehere, Mark Bryant, Gaze, Jerry, John Morton, Avent, Luther, Caver, Pookie, Ramon Ramos and even a Hurley.

We never thought it would end......Felipe Lopez, Roderick Rhodes and PJ would take us back, back and back again.

Then PJ left for the League, Roderick Rhodes went to Kentucky and Felipe Lopez jumped from the cover of the cover of Sports Illustrated to Queens.

Every year I thought it would be 88-93 again and it was just a matter of time.......Ron Artest and Tim Thomas were coming to Seton Hall.

The days were dark and I kept thinking that I never really fully appreciated the Annual Madness. Why did I not fully enjoy it when I was immersed in it??? I will the next time!

A ray of hope came when Shaheen put on the Seton Hall hat on TV and again when Toney El/Barrett/Griffin came to South Orange.

But it was still an every few years or more occurrence........2000, 2004 & 2006.

23 years and 3 year tournament appearances!!!! I had 6 appearances in 7 years while I was at Seton Hall.

3 NCAA bids in 23 years for Seton Hall.......0 bids in 30 years for Rutgers. We are now in rarefied air - 4 in 4!

Enjoy this......dont have the same regrets that I have about not really enjoying 88-93.

My eye's are closed now and I am smiling! I am nervous but I am enjoying today.

I know only too well that this may never happen again!!

It was a little different as those teams were top 25 for most of those years and even got into top 5. But I agree with everything else.
Until we lose the next game, enjoy every minute of it.

During those many March Madness days the campus was alive on Selection Sunday, Thurs/Fri and the following weekend/week/weekend's.

We grew accustomed to the winning, the brackets and the Madness. We had Dehere, Mark Bryant, Gaze, Jerry, John Morton, Avent, Luther, Caver, Pookie, Ramon Ramos and even a Hurley.

We never thought it would end......Felipe Lopez, Roderick Rhodes and PJ would take us back, back and back again.

Then PJ left for the League, Roderick Rhodes went to Kentucky and Felipe Lopez jumped from the cover of the cover of Sports Illustrated to Queens.

Every year I thought it would be 88-93 again and it was just a matter of time.......Ron Artest and Tim Thomas were coming to Seton Hall.

The days were dark and I kept thinking that I never really fully appreciated the Annual Madness. Why did I not fully enjoy it when I was immersed in it??? I will the next time!

A ray of hope came when Shaheen put on the Seton Hall hat on TV and again when Toney El/Barrett/Griffin came to South Orange.

But it was still an every few years or more occurrence........2000, 2004 & 2006.

23 years and 3 year tournament appearances!!!! I had 6 appearances in 7 years while I was at Seton Hall.

3 NCAA bids in 23 years for Seton Hall.......0 bids in 30 years for Rutgers. We are now in rarefied air - 4 in 4!

Enjoy this......dont have the same regrets that I have about not really enjoying 88-93.

Perfect Mike! What a terrific and thoughtful post. Your Dad learned you good. Regards.
Chuck G

I remember after beating Duke in the semis in 1989 wishing that we had more than just two days to bask in the spotlight, and if this would ever happen again.
PJ used to talk about building a program; and he did. Then PJ left and there went the program through Blaney, Amaker, Orr, and Gonzalez.
Now we have a program again, and I am confident that this four-year run is only the start.
If we look at recent history, then, they key is to keep Kevin.

Like most people - in October I would have signed up in a heart beat for an NCAA bid this year. As it turned out, our rate of improvement was quicker than expected. It was a really entertaining season and I'm really proud of the whole team. Everyone had a moment in the spotlight.

Now I'm greedy and want that first win. If we play our best defense I think we can do it. Go Pirates!

Reactions: Section112
4 out of 4 Dance Invites is something really special. I also believe a 5 for 5 is more than possible but a few injuries away from being probable.

Lets all enjoy tonight and hopefully a few more games in 2019.

Either way we have already won and I have won. I got the chance again to truly enjoy a Selection Sunday show and a Thur/Fri game for the past 4 years.

Game on Pirates!

4 out of 4 Dance Invites is something really special. I also believe a 5 for 5 is more than possible but a few injuries away from being probable.

Lets all enjoy tonight and hopefully a few more games in 2019.

Either way we have already won and I have won. I got the chance again to truly enjoy a Selection Sunday show and a Thur/Fri game for the past 4 years.

Game on Pirates!
OK - This thread/topic has brought back some horrible memories -- Richie Parker, 6'4' Freshman Larry Davis playing PF, Hazell's injury/shooting, playing in the Wed BET Games, playing West Virginia at West Virgina, many, many Centers who could not catch and being nervous on every pass on Offense because the players were not Big East ready.

You have to remember the past to truly enjoy this moment!! :)

Reactions: Abbo71 and Merge
The four bids in a row are very special indeed. Second time ever. First time ever is four 20 win seasons. Kevin has that all to himself!

Reactions: LBP43
Started following SHU in 1994 and I was in school at SHU from 2004-2008. So aside from 2000, 2004 and 2006 I didn't have much to cheer for during March.

The past 4 seasons have been great!

And it is a great feeling when so many of my friends and colleagues actively engage me in SHU talk now. I never have to bring them up anymore. So many well wishes this week. Would love to go on a little ride this season!

Reactions: Halldan1

I read this again.

With great appreciation.

It may already be the post of the year.

Because it sings the story of our love of Seton Hall so beautifully.

Or, if he were to leave, just hire a competent coach. This thread shows we can win when we don't hire bad coaches.

The problem with this is, how do you know? Coming in was Kevin any more established than Blaney, Orr, Gonzalez? (Blaney was odd as was the timing of PJ's deparature….) I think a school like Seton Hall always rolls the dice.

I love this post. Started vaguely following in 2002 but went to school 2006-2010. Was one of the students chanting fire Bobby and the next day had a priest late to class because he just came from the board of regents meeting and Bobby was fired (he said it with WAY more explicitives). Not the shining moment of the program. This entire season I have been relishing in watching the stadium be engaged, the pirate heads pop up on cars almost more common than Rutgers (surprising in this area) classmates coming back to following and people actually wanting to talk about the team. It's an amazing thing, it's special all of it. Enjoying every last moment because we are finally a program.

I wholeheartedly agree that we must enjoy whatever NCAA tourney action we can get.

I will never take it for granted. But, how 'bout we do it again. And again. And again.....

Absolutely right. Honestly, I feel the post a bit depressing at a time when I really am optimistic about our future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT